Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-11-08, 11:14   Link #1
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

What should my next upgrade be?

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to put a little more life into my current build and wondering what people would recommend.

Have got an order in for a GTX 780 Ti so that brings me up-to-date on graphics but I'm wondering whether upping the 8GB RAM is my next move and what I should be looking for given my cooler blocks one of the RAM slots.

The next major system refresh I intend to do is in 2015 with Skylake chips coming out so looking to keep myself fresh as possible until that point (that will be a 3 year life on my overall system build).

Any thoughts on what I should look at next? I'm thinking my PSU is good for a fair bit extra and I will pick up a 1TB SSD to replace the 60GB one at some point but not sure if that is my next move, more RAM or whether I should consider another 1155 chip.

Build is:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 / i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz / Cooler Master Hyper 212 / Asus GTX 670 (soon to be Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti) / Corsair HX850 / CM Storm Trooper / Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB 1600MHz / Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD / 1.5TB Caviar Black / 2TB Caviar Green / 3TB Caviar Green / 3TB Barracuda

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 2013-11-08, 21:39   Link #2
sa547
*Author

1.) 8gb is the current baseline for gaming unless you use multitasking very much and thus require more memory.
2.) A 1tb SSD seems to be overkill (I'd rather take a 64-to-80gb SSD for Windows 7 and important applications, and most documents -- diverted to a new drive letter/folder -- and games in a regular hard drive) unless you have specific games to install (i.e. games with high-res textures and large installation space requirements) and want them to load very fast, or you have to convert/render video quickly.
Old 2013-11-10, 17:00   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
1.) 8gb is the current baseline for gaming unless you use multitasking very much and thus require more memory.
2.) A 1tb SSD seems to be overkill (I'd rather take a 64-to-80gb SSD for Windows 7 and important applications, and most documents -- diverted to a new drive letter/folder -- and games in a regular hard drive) unless you have specific games to install (i.e. games with high-res textures and large installation space requirements) and want them to load very fast, or you have to convert/render video quickly.
I wouldn't go for a 1tb ssd either. Although faster they do have a lesser lifespan. I agree with your preference, an ssd for important things and programs, heavy games that require pre level loading (graphics and such would already load properly with the 780 TI), everything else on a normal HD.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 00:45   Link #4
4Tran

Is it really necessary to upgrade at this point? A 1TB SSD isn't a very good idea as the best performance can be had at the 256GB and 512GB sizes. Moreover, how much of your storage will really benefit from being on a SSD to begin with?

If you're doing rendering or database crunching or some other CPU intensive task, then a CPU upgrade is a no brainer. However, if you're not, then is the CPU actually bottle-necking your performance? There are only a few games that benefit from a really strong CPU, but I don't think that there's a huge push to upgrade from a 2500K.

The best course of action is probably to see how well the games for the next year run after you get your 780 GTX, and only upgrade if you really need the extra performance.
Old 2013-11-11, 01:19   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Is it really necessary to upgrade at this point? A 1TB SSD isn't a very good idea as the best performance can be had at the 256GB and 512GB sizes. Moreover, how much of your storage will really benefit from being on a SSD to begin with?

If you're doing rendering or database crunching or some other CPU intensive task, then a CPU upgrade is a no brainer. However, if you're not, then is the CPU actually bottle-necking your performance? There are only a few games that benefit from a really strong CPU, but I don't think that there's a huge push to upgrade from a 2500K.

The best course of action is probably to see how well the games for the next year run after you get your 780 GTX, and only upgrade if you really need the extra performance.
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts as well.

If you have $ you absolutely must spend on your pc then you might look into something like further cooling options or a super clear flat panel or something like that, I guess.
Old 2013-11-11, 10:53   Link #6
Jaden

Hmm...everything in your rig is pretty solid already. To improve your gaming experience further, you'd have to look outside it. With a 780 Ti, you would be justified getting a high-res monitor (3840 pixels × 2160 lines, 4K as they call it).

edit: Lol didn't realize how expensive 4k monitors are. I wonder if the name is actually derived from the cost? Maybe look at 2560x1440 or something instead.
Old 2013-11-11, 23:51   Link #7
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Hmm...everything in your rig is pretty solid already. To improve your gaming experience further, you'd have to look outside it. With a 780 Ti, you would be justified getting a high-res monitor (3840 pixels × 2160 lines, 4K as they call it).

edit: Lol didn't realize how expensive 4k monitors are. I wonder if the name is actually derived from the cost? Maybe look at 2560x1440 or something instead.
same thoughts. look into getting a 1440p or 1600p monitor OP. or the new BenQ XL2420TE 144hz monitor. strobelight from toastyx works on it for zero motion blur if you're into that.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 16:28   Link #8
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Already been running a 1440p monitor for a while

Holding off on any further upgrades with the GTX 780 Ti being in now. It is rather beastly.
Old 2013-12-16, 09:24   Link #9
Homucifer
Banned

You must have some serious money if you can purchase a 1tb SSD
I would go for a set up like mine if you can afford that.

But you'll probably need to SLI the 780 ti if you want to play in SURRUOND
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 12:18   Link #10
Tornado The Dragon
A.K.A Big Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homucifer View Post
You must have some serious money if you can purchase a 1tb SSD
I would go for a set up like mine if you can afford that.

But you'll probably need to SLI the 780 ti if you want to play in SURRUOND
Darn that's pretty intense.

You can run 80-120 fps on it right?
Tornado The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 13:48   Link #11
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado The Dragon View Post
Darn that's pretty intense.

You can run 80-120 fps on it right?
With crap 660 ti SLI? Take a guess
Old 2013-12-17, 23:32   Link #12
sa547
*Author

I'd rather have one monitor, thank you.

Unless I'm busy as a stock market analyst, a web server admin, website designer, software developer, or a multimedia editor, which necessitates the use of several monitors and afford the hardware and the electric bills. And I'm neither of any of those jobs.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009...tiple-screens/

Last edited by sa547; 2013-12-17 at 23:44.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 23:33   Link #13
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I'd rather have one monitor, thank you.
Missing out on 3 times the view.

I am neither of those and I have most monitors filled with windows most of the time anyway.
I never see a "downgrade in performance" unless I actually play a high performance game.

Last edited by Homucifer; 2013-12-17 at 23:55.