AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-27, 17:03   Link #2141
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
*sigh* Am I the only one here who actually likes both Amata and Mikono, thought that scene was cute and didn't suspect any ulterior motives on anyone's part? (I'm tired of badass macho man heroes and badass amazon heroines - cute, sweet girls banzai!) Oh well.
I think there's a difference here, and you're not being fair to it because I like both characters, and I like them when they interact, but some of that one incident was just plain dumb. Read on.
I like scenes like: End of Episode 5 where Mikono and Amata shared a moment together and came close to falling in love.
I like scenes like: End of Episode 7 where Mikono and Amata share and apology and show growth of maturity.
I like scenes like: End of Episode 9 where Mikono and Amata talk and share a moment.

I do not like scenes like: End of Episode 9 where Mikono and Amata need to fall atop of one another as if we (the audience) had forgotten that the two liked each other somewhere along the way, just so that they can be given an *intimate moment*.

If they want to make a scene where the two are very close to kissing, do it like they did in Episode 5. Having them fall atop of one another because Mikono boosted off the stair for no apparent reason is a shallow way to develop that I'd expect from a harem show and not a show that has shown it me it can make proper *moments*. (They did it properly with Andy and Mix several times in the episode, neither of them needed to trip and fall on top of the other. Hence I liked all the development between them but I found the last scene stupid.)

Have I made my point clearer? It has nothing to do with who's involved, its how it was done in light of how it could have and has been done before.
Old 2012-02-27, 17:07   Link #2142
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Have I made my point clearer? It has nothing to do with who's involved, its how it was done in light of how it could have and has been done before.
Something like that yes- my feelings are the same about the aforementioned scene.

There are better ways to achieve the same end, Hell even if they're determined to have it done that way, at least make it less silly looking
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 17:08   Link #2143
miketyson

Quote:
As I said - it's been a long, long time. (Hm, but I could've sworn it was Indo-European. I wonder why.)
Probably thinking of Pali, which *is* Indo-European and is another major language of Buddhism.

I think once EVOL is done I'll try watching the original, but were they literally referring to themselves as like 落ちた天翅? Or something less direct? Aquarion is a mishmash, but it also seems to be a vehicle for Kawamori's more-eccentric ideas about life, love, philosophy, etc., so there might be something more to it.

Agreed 100% on symbolism-drenching vis-a-vis coherence.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 17:37   Link #2144
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
there was my theory that she is a sleeper agent for the abductors or more likely Mikage who wouldn't be afraid to use even women for his own ends. She's older than Jin so it could be possible she was born on Altair (maybe one of the last women) but was taken by Mikage for whatever he is planning so they never knew about her.
...but the leaders in Altair don't know her, and have her as candidate for True Eve along with Mikono in this episode.

If anything, Amata's more likely to be from Altair than Zessica is.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:08   Link #2145
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
It's a matter of taste, really. *shrug* I personally thought it was funny and cute - and I don't think it was intended to be a reminder (the way they were blushing around each other in their previous scenes in the episode was obvious enough for anyone who might have forgotten that they like each other), and not an attempt to develop anything (since nothing came out of it, courtesy of Shushu). It was just a random moment that set up a gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Probably thinking of Pali, which *is* Indo-European and is another major language of Buddhism.
Ah, probably. (It's sad but I can't really distinguish most of these languages anymore... :/ )

Quote:
were they literally referring to themselves as like 落ちた天? Or something less direct?
堕天翅 or collectively 堕天翅族. (Btw they referred to themselves as simply 天翅, too, and variations on "those who have wings".) And they referred to humans as "those wingless ones." Then again, Touma and Apollonius, and maybe one more, were the only ones who looked remotely similar to a stereotypical angel, fallen or not (and Touma had his wings on his head, like Mykage - seriously, Mykage is basically Touma #2 except even more fabulous, btw that screencap doesn't do Touma justice at all), the rest were... weird. (Some of them looked like mythological beasts, such as a naga and two manticores, and others were just.. plain weird. They didn't do a whole lot.) The design of the Angels and everything connected to them was fantastic, though, one of my favorite parts of Aquarion (which is why I was a bit disappointed that Altair is absolutely nothing like Atlandia).

Quote:
Aquarion is a mishmash, but it also seems to be a vehicle for Kawamori's more-eccentric ideas about life, love, philosophy, etc., so there might be something more to it..
Oh, I'm sure there's "more" to it inasmuch as it has all those messages about love and life and okay let's not even get into Fudou's wisdom - it's just that I don't think any particular set of symbolism has very deep meaning in and of itself. More like, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and in the end there's this huge, weird, romantic and sorta uplifting mash-up of philosophies and messages.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-02-27 at 18:38.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:17   Link #2146
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
More like Misa of Vaan if you want an hypothetical comparison of the 'second one'. Alto wasn't into Ranka to make the comparison valid. He was into paper planes until Sheryl made him see flying is better if he's not alone.
Very true xD (Although, even though I've preferred Sheryl from the start, I wouldn't argue that he wasn't attracted to Ranka at all, ever to some degree, but it was a pretty one-sided triangle no question. But that's another discussion)

Anyway, all I'm saying is it's too early in the show that being delusional open to other shipping options isn't a valid option anymore.

Quote:
Not really - people are just building up expectations based on no concrete evidence, and then they feel surprised and disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way they wanted/thought it would. ^^;; And then they blame the writer/director.
And the staff is of course innocent of providing fuel for any of these expectations
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:25   Link #2147
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
...but the leaders in Altair don't know her, and have her as candidate for True Eve along with Mikono in this episode.

If anything, Amata's more likely to be from Altair than Zessica is.
that's why i gave the other option that she is a sleeper for Mikage which is more likely. Mikage could've wiped her memory using the powers he showed this episode leaving only subconscious orders that will come into effect later. He's seems the type who would be willing to do that even when women are a precious commodity to Altair
Old 2012-02-27, 18:47   Link #2148
miketyson

I've got a very hard time seeing *any* females being sleeper agents *from* Altair, and a hard time seeing any females as being sleeper agents *for* Altair (at least at this time). It would be a cool twist but seems hard to make work with the "Altair has no women" thing that's going on. I'd rate Amata and (as a crack theory) Cayenne as the likeliest "secret Altairians".

kuromitsu: oh, 堕天使 (aka "堕天翅") makes more sense, I didn't know there was actually a specific word for that idea. Thanks. Seems like the original made a big deal out of wings in a number of ways. And wow, Mykage really does look like "Touma 2, electric boogaloo",
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:52   Link #2149
cyberdemon

Quote:
I've got a very hard time seeing *any* females being sleeper agents *from* Altair, and a hard time seeing any females as being sleeper agents *for* Altair (at least at this time). It would be a cool twist but seems hard to make work with the "Altair has no women" thing that's going on. I'd rate Amata and (as a crack theory) Cayenne as the likeliest "secret Altairians".

kuromitsu: oh, 堕天使 (aka "堕天翅") makes more sense, I didn't know there was actually a specific word for that idea. Thanks. Seems like the original made a big deal out of wings in a number of ways. And wow, Mykage really does look like "Touma 2, electric boogaloo",
Jin was the last one born on Altair. Meaning there were at least a few women some 14-15 years ago but then they just stopped giving birth and all eventually died. I remember it being mentioned Zessica was 17 which makes it possible and if infant girls had high mortality rate by that time then they wouldn't bat an eye if she just disappeared as a baby. If the sleeper theory was possible it would be highly likely that it would be for Mikage rather than with the normal army of Altair. He seems to have his own agenda that is different from that of Altair.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:54   Link #2150
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
that's why i gave the other option that she is a sleeper for Mikage which is more likely. Mikage could've wiped her memory using the powers he showed this episode leaving only subconscious orders that will come into effect later. He's seems the type who would be willing to do that even when women are a precious commodity to Altair
Except that her eyes would be like Amata's color if he's controlling her in some way or allowing her to be in Vega, and they are not... Amata, on the other hand, has the same shade of the guys that Mykage controlled and his releasing Aquarion indirectly stirred his slumber. Plus, the whole connection with Alisia/Alicia, the whole "that's not a cat" running gag (which is meant to be a plot point), etc going on. So Amata at least has some basis...

Also, as far as I know, the ages are speculation from fans?

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 19:02   Link #2151
Arya

Finally watched the episode. I liked as usual
Reading some previous posters talking about Jin, if he were the chosen one for mating why put him in danger? Why risk to lose him instead of Kagura or some random pilot? Kagura is the really ace and Jin is a Jack.
And plotwise now the *work* Mykage and Fudo are doing to Kagura and Amata looks similar in their own way. They are pushing them to their limits in term of rage/love never giving them what they want. For what purpose, I guess to increase their power and for Fudo to saving his ace in the hole, so he could decide when release the forbidden cockblocked love. Something like that.
Oh, I just liked how Shrade mentioned how Mikono's love is expanding harmoniously. So I could say that Amata and Mikono are in love. SO I'm waiting to know what the writers have in mind as a plot twist. The most likely twist as you have already foreshadowed, is the Mikono's abduction. It would give room to the others characters to grow.
Oh, I don't know if we will really get there, but I'dbe curious to know how they would handle the after abduction (of any girl) phase. I mean, waiting the girl to fall in love? I guess you know what I'm implying.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 19:09   Link #2152
mayumi

mikage and females. yeah, i don't see him taking any girl under him or brain washing them tbh.

however mikage does seem to believe "if everyone admires just one flower then a garden wouldn't bloom" which for some reason makes a lot of sense in real life but who knows what mikage is thinking when he said that.
zessica can bloom a beautiful garden from the op but mikono is also a lotus. so these flowers speculations are rather dumb.

while lotus is a beautiful pure flower. i much prefer a garden
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 19:13   Link #2153
kuromitsu

Quote:
And wow, Mykage really does look like "Touma 2, electric boogaloo",
Seriously, I keep expecting Mykage to start waffling about Touma's usual topics - he's been doing well avoiding them so far. In a way Mykage is sort of a dark horse, especially that he seems to be alone. We know what Kagura wants, we know what Izumo wants, but Mykage... I have an idea what he might want and how he might want to achieve it, but so far he's been keeping mum on the issue, so... who knows, maybe he's after something else. (And if Mykage is an Angel and I can't see how he's not one, it brings up other interesting aspects and possible theories,
Spoiler for spoilers, maybe?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
however mikage does seem to believe "if everyone admires just one flower then a garden wouldn't bloom" which for some reason makes a lot of sense in real life but who knows what mikage is thinking when he said that.
He meant that there would be no point in having many various flowers if everyone was interested in only one. Basically, he's either not after Mikono, or she's not the only one he's after.

Re: sleeper agents and whatnot, I don't really have any theories on that (let's see what the show throws at us), but mirrors - they never mean anything good. ^^;;
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 20:14   Link #2154
ReddyRedWolf

What Mikage did to Jin's subordinates was similar to what Toma did to take control of Reika in the OVA. A shower of feathers then a feather entering their bodies.

Indeed making Kagura suffer having to watch his woman suffer is something OVA Toma intended to do.

So is Mikage Toma? Not sure yet. Though I'm pretty sure we are dealing with two universes here. Likely the OVA and TV universes.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 21:32   Link #2155
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Another great episode.
I feel sorry for Andy but his appearance on the gattai and his satisfied expression kinda make up to it. I chuckled when Mix disappointed when Amata asked her and Mikono to combine, looks like she also want her first to be with Andy

And little bit disappoint with Zessica, I thought she will keep her positive and cheerful side, oh well maybe that's love for teenager. Hope she will be her usual self next episode.

Once again, Gepard is proven to be useless, it got owned even before it finish the combination sequence
And holy shieeeth, I'd say Mix's power is one of the strongest so far. I didn't think it can be used like that, but if she can fill any and every hole out of anything... And she sounds more hot blooded than even Andy XD
Old 2012-02-27, 21:36   Link #2156
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Aw Zessica is jelly jelly to Amata and Mikono...
Girl, why do u stop the attack after u realize that u have feeling for Amata??

Kinda dissapointed when Andy is substitute out from gattai...
It would be perfect if Andy and Mix both are gattai-ing together...
And thus the new pairing is born...

And somehow i have the feeling i will see a lot of Mix saying this in doujin
"Please fill my hole with ur xxx"
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 22:13   Link #2157
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
And holy shieeeth, I'd say Mix's power is one of the strongest so far. I didn't think it can be used like that, but if she can fill any and every hole out of anything... And she sounds more hot blooded than even Andy XD
I'd say her powers are double edged like the shedding of clothes. While it's powerful, it requires she take her hands off the controls. meaning it stops her from reacting to anything happening during that time she's trying to get her attack off.
Old 2012-02-27, 22:31   Link #2158
Ypocaramel

The Amata-Mikono scene at the end of Episode 9 did feel contrived, but I suspect it was attempt to get us thinking about the main plot and edge of love again which has kind of been in the background since Episode 5 or argubly 6. The rumors did say things start picking up again around episode 10?

Last edited by Ypocaramel; 2012-02-27 at 23:15.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 01:11   Link #2159
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Aw Zessica is jelly jelly to Amata and Mikono...
Girl, why do u stop the attack after u realize that u have feeling for Amata??

Kinda dissapointed when Andy is substitute out from gattai...
It would be perfect if Andy and Mix both are gattai-ing together...
And thus the new pairing is born...

And somehow i have the feeling i will see a lot of Mix saying this in doujin
"Please fill my hole with ur xxx"
*bursts out laughing*

Sorry, but that last part made me think of Andy taking off his beanie cap and replacing it with Kamina-shades, pointing at the heavens and declaring that his drill will gladly do the job requested.

"A Drill was made for DIGGING holes, but it can also FILL a hole as well!!"

~*~

Also, the 'Bros before Holes' comment was priceless... Ten times better cuz it was the loli that said it too.
Old 2012-02-28, 02:10   Link #2160
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The metaphors and symbolisms employed to impart the lessons about the holes in one's heart were very amusing, but the fighting sequences weren't eye-popping in the ninth episode.

I rather got more excited with the battles of the first series, because the Deava's fought against inhuman Seraphim beasts from different sizes and shapes.

Right now we've only seen from the Altereans either manned or unmanned humanoid robots that do not seem or feel imposing, except for the armament and weaponry they deploy though those were operated by Jin.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction