Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-24, 22:05   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The use of flashbacks in anime.

One anime I'm watching now that uses flashbacks extensively is Kimi no Iru Machi. The first few episodes go backwards-and-forwards through time as though the plot was riding shotgun with Marty McFly in a Delorean. A few episodes later, this anime even had a decently-long flashback within a flashback.

Flashbacks are a staple of anime, used fairly frequently to reveal background details about major characters in key moments. The anime Free! recently did this to add greater detail for the character Rin.

Speaking personally, I have mixed feelings about flashbacks.

I think in some cases they're a good way of learning more about a character through actually seeing what that character went through earlier in life. It could be hard to learn about that otherwise, without giving the narrative a strange starting point. I also find that devoting an entire anime episode or two to a flashback narrative can be a good way to provide a welcomed break from the main plot - Shakugan no Shana used this very effectively a couple times, imo.

On the other hand, the problem with flashbacks is that they tend to run contrary to what we learn about first impressions. To go back to that Free! example...

Spoiler for Minor Free! spoilers:

Given my own mixed feelings on flashbacks, and given how frequently they're used in anime, I'm curious to know what my fellow anime fans think of them.
Old 2013-09-24, 22:16   Link #2
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
It definitely is a good way to learn about what a character went through in life to better understand the plot, IMO, if it is well placed. If it isn't, it's just weird and feels out of order.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 23:01   Link #3
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

The most cliched use of flashback I like the least is often found within shoujo series: used as a revelation that several characters used to meet long ago when they're children and no one was any the wiser about it.

That's what I can think of about the subject now. Would add a bit more content after I finish this little something first.
Old 2013-09-24, 23:14   Link #4
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Flashbacks are nice because in any given moment we're only able to recognize a character in that point in time. It's difficult to go in depth in how characters develop into the ones they are today.

Of course, I feel they need to be connected somehow; no cheapshot boohoo flashbacks that never get elaborated on or stuff that's reminding us of last episode 4 times.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 02:24   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Sket Dance.

SKET DANCE GODDAMNIT.
Old 2013-09-25, 08:23   Link #6
scineram

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
SKET DANCE GODDAMNIT.
Yes, that. HOLY SHIT. And Puella Magi too.

Hakkenden uses them well too, just giving hints sometimes.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 10:13   Link #7
Renmazuo

The worst use of flashbacks I've seen so far is in Naruto Shippuuden. It's like these guys have to reach a monthly quota or something. Flashbacks in this anime are both overused and misused. Once they replayed a whole scene from the same episode even though you had seen it 5 minutes ago. It might not be relevant to this thread though, since I believe the OP is thinking of previously unshown scenes about past events, as opposed to already aired footage which is (sometimes unnecessarily) shown again.
Renmazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 19:10   Link #8
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Flashbacks were used really well in Baccano! To me anyway, felt like the plot was a lot stronger and exciting, and still kept the story on the train.

I agree with Renmazuo about being over used in shōnen and especially Naruto, way too many.
Old 2013-09-26, 00:47   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I don't mind seeing a lot flash backs in KINM. I'll be honest, I really liked it. Just imagine the lots of side tracks, fillers, fan service etc. that that anime will face if it had to included every chapter of every volume to be animated. Talk about budget, talk about time. I think KINM as my example pretty did well. I think the series is still understandable with only the flashbacks to explain some points that isn't cleared out.

I don't mind flash backs as long as the main arc is on the right track as it should be. Side tracks gives me either memory loss or bitterness that aren't important anyway.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 23:03   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It seems like, on the whole, people view flashbacks as a good thing... unless they're just a glorified cost-cutting measure.

Yeah, that overall take on flashbacks probably fits best with how they've been used lately in anime.
Old 2013-09-27, 01:30   Link #11
Westlo
Lets be reality

No one mentioned TenTen's flashbacks? lol

I didn't mind it in the manga since I like read those volumes quick as fuck but for anime watchers it went on for weeks and weeks and weeks.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 22:41   Link #12
EscapeReality

Agreed with the OP about breaking first impressions. I hate flashbacks that bring out a character's personality that is incongruous - especially if they're unrealistic as well - with how that character is portrayed at first. If you've watched Attack on Titan, you'll perhaps understand. It's a really extreme example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
The most cliched use of flashback I like the least is often found within shoujo series: used as a revelation that several characters used to meet long ago when they're children and no one was any the wiser about it.
Agreed. Good for dramatic effect, though, albeit may come off forced.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 00:10   Link #13
monir
cho~ kakkoii

As a die-hard shounen fans, I say F-you to flashback. They have caused enough pain and suffering to make a lot of grown people cry enough to fill up an Olympic size swimming pool.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 07:57   Link #14
Shyni

Shin Mazinger had an odd use for a flashback. One episode ended with Tsubasa yelling at Kouji about the Photon Beam, and the beginning of the next episode skipped forward to the next day. I was confused as to whether I missed something, until a flashback showed what happened between episodes. They could have like, put that scene in chronological order, but for some reason they didn't.

It was interesting, at least.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 08:35   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Shin Mazinger had an odd use for a flashback. One episode ended with Tsubasa yelling at Kouji about the Photon Beam, and the beginning of the next episode skipped forward to the next day. I was confused as to whether I missed something, until a flashback showed what happened between episodes. They could have like, put that scene in chronological order, but for some reason they didn't.

It was interesting, at least.
IIRC, Sunrise also did that in Gundam SEED (after the cliffhanger that is Strike Gundam’s re-entry into atmosphere). Not just SEED, many other animes did that kinda flashback too. I just can’t remember it right now.

And speaking of flashback, I think Gundam SEED Destiny is one of the worst series in using flashbacks. They pop up, like, once every five minutes, again and again, in almost every episode and some of them have bad timing. Not counting recap episodes and bad writing, the flashbacks alone makes the whole series such a chore to watch .