AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-20, 12:05   Link #181
Sides

I'm dropping this one. It is just far too nice for me, and the main character is not that interesting, besides for being incredibly nice and his only male friend appears to be the same as well.
Character art is nicely done, animation nothing special and bgm is soothing. To be honest I rather have them showing one of the females as main character.
I played VN and eroge in the past, but most of the anime adaptations kind of loses the feel of being pulled in. Personally I feel that is here the case for me.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 14:52   Link #182
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Hmm I just felt the entire episode was missing any and all emotional involvement. I like the atmosphere and all, but I really don't seem to care about Sena and her little emotional tantrums. There doesn't seem to be a good reason so far why she's so uncomfortable around boys and she's starting to come off as a typical tsundere that grows attached to the first guy who treats her nicely despite her harshness.

I mean what was up with the "It's the class representative's responsibility"shenanigans that she was complaining about? Her character elicits no sympathy from me so far so I really hope she becomes more likable soon.

The lead is a nice guy and everything but he's probably the most lacking character so far. I just feel like there's little to distinguish him from anyone else besides his willingness to be helpful/useful. Not saying they need to instill him with some inner angst or anything, but one rule of a story is that every character should want something, no matter how petty it may be. What does he want? What's going to take his character from A to B?

There's only so much the soothing mood can suffice as the backbone of this show. Eventually the character interactions have to pick up to a degree where they're fairly entertaining in their own right. None of the conversations or activities they're doing are really all that interesting. Miu is probably the most interesting character so far, but it doesn't seem she's the main focus.

Anyways, this episode was lacking to me overall. Hopefully I don't have these concerns going forward.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 15:18   Link #183
maplehurry

I just noticed sakuno's quite tall for girls. When she's walking side by side with Airi, I was like, what, sakuno's taller ?

She's the youngest but also the tallest among the female characters lol.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 15:22   Link #184
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Sakuno (162 cm) is the tallest of all the main heroines and Miu (146 cm) the shortest
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 15:28   Link #185
Johnny
Working the bags...

Very boring and gives off a generic vibe. Nothing really makes it stand out and I actually dozed off part way through. Well maybe that cat looking thing that reminds me of Tonkatsu from Nagasarete Airantou, but that's it. I'll see if it picks up in the next episode or two otherwise it's history...
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 16:00   Link #186
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I too like how this appears to be a bit different from your usual harem shows. I guess the show is going a more traditional rom-com direction than 'ecchi-com' (with panty- and boobshots at least once a minute).

There is some fanservice in this show, but most seems to be more deserved rather than being gratuitous. Better put, it seems to fit the story rather than it being used to fill the story.

And if this show can keep on avoiding the obvious pitfalls (abusive tsundere, weak male lead, etc.), this could become another show with a somewhat deceiving premise and turn out to be one of the best of this season.
Old 2011-10-20, 16:02   Link #187
Silverwyrm

I think the issue with "not caring about airi" is nothing has really been shown other than her direct interactions with uryuu. Even int he first episode, we didn't see her exchanges with his sister, just her interactions with him with a few side lines. We dont see her talking to any of the other girls, so we dont know if shes friendly or not, we dont see her being ignored/ignoring them, so she doesnt give a lonely vibe either. You could practically pass her off as his imaginary friend.

With that said, I find this easy to watch because its so calm, which is a good thing for me. That and I love animation with slight movements and subtle expression changes which I spot a lot here
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 16:48   Link #188
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I'm dropping this one. It is just far too nice for me, and the main character is not that interesting, besides for being incredibly nice and his only male friend appears to be the same as well.
Character art is nicely done, animation nothing special and bgm is soothing. To be honest I rather have them showing one of the females as main character.
I played VN and eroge in the past, but most of the anime adaptations kind of loses the feel of being pulled in. Personally I feel that is here the case for me.
Dropping it because it's too nice? First time I've heard that one. Your choice, of course

Honestly think that everything feels so natural and flows extremely well - when compared to some other 'harem' animes (Shuffle!, CLANNAD). Though maybe that makes a lot of sense, considering Mashifoni deals with reality rather than fantasy - it pretty much has have a realistic flow, as there is no fantasy to cover up any anomalies.

Certainly the most relaxing of the anime I've picked up, and I'm loving every minute.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 17:35   Link #189
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I could see someone dropping this series because it's too nice. "Nice" is one of the words that leap to mind when I word-associate it. "Normal" is the other. In the short attention-span world of anime fandom today, those aren't exactly winning qualities.

For me, though, while I don't find this show thrilling those are the very qualities that make me like it. There's nothing unusual about Mashiroiro at all, really, except how normal it is. No one in the cast is stupid. No one in the cast is outright evil or even mean. The male lead doesn't overreact to events, and doesn't jump when the tsundere baits him. It's refreshingly understated and even-handed and while that doesn't make it exciting, it does make it likable and different.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 17:40   Link #190
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

People claiming this show "too nice" or something like that may wants to see this show went something like School Days or anything similar to that. Instead you just got an orthodox slice-of-life and harem anime. I'm not surprised someone actually hates this show though.

I still watching it and hoped I can finish it. I expect good ending rather than "that one".
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 17:51   Link #191
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Airi skipped class rep duties for the sale. What was she doing for so long though if Shingo finished it and was able to make the sale with everyone. Would have liked to see Pannya in the super market.
Old 2011-10-20, 17:57   Link #192
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I could see someone dropping this series because it's too nice. "Nice" is one of the words that leap to mind when I word-associate it. "Normal" is the other. In the short attention-span world of anime fandom today, those aren't exactly winning qualities.

For me, though, while I don't find this show thrilling those are the very qualities that make me like it. There's nothing unusual about Mashiroiro at all, really, except how normal it is. No one in the cast is stupid. No one in the cast is outright evil or even mean. The male lead doesn't overreact to events, and doesn't jump when the tsundere baits him. It's refreshingly understated and even-handed and while that doesn't make it exciting, it does make it likable and different.
Well that's fine as it is for now since we're only at an introductory phase three episodes in, but at later stages of the story they're gonna have to break that shell eventually.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 18:07   Link #193
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
Dropping it because it's too nice? First time I've heard that one. Your choice, of course
Well, they kind of emphasise, pretty much all the time, that he is a extremely friendly dude and since there is nothing else really going on it gives me the urge to punch him. So before I trash another screen, I decide to stop watching this show ^^
To be fair I only managed to make through a couple of VN/Eroge adaptations, and School Days, Shuffle, Clannad, Kanon, Air did not make it on the list. I guess most of these are really just made for fans, or have a slow start, that filters out outsiders.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 22:32   Link #194
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well that's fine as it is for now since we're only at an introductory phase three episodes in, but at later stages of the story they're gonna have to break that shell eventually.
Honestly, that's one of my worries. Hopefully, if they do that, they transition in a good pace and not just throw drama at you. That, and hopefully the girls are more than just Uryuu's entourage as we go through the anime.

I find this anime relaxing. As Guardian Enzo said, it's nice. I don't need a lot of excitement in the things I watch to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I guess most of these are really just made for fans, or have a slow start, that filters out outsiders.
You could replace "slow start" and it would apply to every anime ever. Some people just don't like some anime for whatever reasons. Action anime are made for people who like action, and if I didn't like action, it would "filter" me out by having it. This anime just might not be for you.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 22:57   Link #195
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I mean what was up with the "It's the class representative's responsibility"shenanigans that she was complaining about?
For whatever it's worth: pride. As we saw starting at the end of episode 1, and then again in both 2 & 3, Airi is extremely concerned about her image. The reason she was chosen as class rep is because she's seen as "practically perfect in every way" as it were -- she's got it together, does everything right, and so everyone else feels that they can leave everything in her hands without worrying (see comments in episode 2 & 3 to this effect). So for her to have to go to her classmates and admit that she's in over her head and needs their help is just something she can't abide.

This isn't by any means to say this is a good quality; quite the opposite. But this is why Shingo recognized it for what it was and offered her an alternative that allowed her to salvage her pride. Given her situation, it was an offer she couldn't refuse.

(And I have to admit, I can sort of identify with Airi's perfectionist, image-conscious side, though it truly isn't a good trait.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
I think the issue with "not caring about airi" is nothing has really been shown other than her direct interactions with uryuu. Even int he first episode, we didn't see her exchanges with his sister, just her interactions with him with a few side lines. We dont see her talking to any of the other girls, so we dont know if shes friendly or not, we dont see her being ignored/ignoring them, so she doesnt give a lonely vibe either. You could practically pass her off as his imaginary friend.
Yes, this is because the story is being told from Shingo's perspective almost exclusively. We get a few short perspective shifts (to Sakuno in particular, both in the first episode and again in this one when she was talking with Airi -- this is important to help provide some alternate perspective on Airi), but for the most part we're just "getting to know Airi" in the same way that he is. The progression of this episode shows that he's finally starting to crack through her tough outer shell, both deliberately and by chance.

And that aside, I certainly agree that this show won't be for everyone (and truly, probably not for most), but I am happy to see that it's gathering a small group of people who are at least willing to give it a chance.
Old 2011-10-20, 23:16   Link #196
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This isn't by any means to say this is a good quality; quite the opposite. But this is why Shingo recognized it for what it was and offered her an alternative that allowed her to salvage her pride. Given her situation, it was an offer she couldn't refuse.
I'm wondering if this was communicated better in the VN, but yeah this makes more sense. I guess I haven't quite understood her character all that well so far, but if it's a matter of pride, it makes a bit more sense.

In retrospect I offered the episode a little too many harsh words. I still liked it overall, but I guess I'm wondering if this is all we're ever going to get. It's not a bad thing, but I wonder if it'll manage to entertain me all the way through.

So far I would say Manglobe is doing a fine job with this show.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 23:44   Link #197
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Episode 3 was extremely slow paced, but well done. Like others have said, I can see why many would feel this is too plain, cause it kind of is. But this is done by Manglobe, and I've heard that Harem is not exactly their field of expertise, so it makes sense they are not doing it by the generic ecchi book.

As of this episode, I'm still not feeling Airi. It seems now she's just being a ass just to be one, especially when all her peers are starting to adjust. It also seems she just doesn't like boys in general, as in there should be no reason for her to be cold with just him alone if she truly considered him a friend.

That little "nice" routine she showed at the beginning was just that IMO, people suggested that it was just because of her stand of not wanting boys in the school, but I think she just doesn't like boys in general. Then her falling for him was obvious, but it feels "empty" some how....
Old 2011-10-20, 23:48   Link #198
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I'm wondering if this was communicated better in the VN, but yeah this makes more sense. I guess I haven't quite understood her character all that well so far, but if it's a matter of pride, it makes a bit more sense.
I can't deny that there is unavoidable bias (though I do think there are definitely enough indications in the anime alone to point to that conclusion, even if you have to connect a number of presented details). But I think there's another reason that this particular exchange seemed familiar to me, and I was able to identify the root cause more readily.

Spoiler for Comparison to Amagami SS:
And the third reason, as I said, is that I regrettably share some of Airi's personality traits, so I know the feeling all too well...

Quote:
In retrospect I offered the episode a little too many harsh words. I still liked it overall, but I guess I'm wondering if this is all we're ever going to get. It's not a bad thing, but I wonder if it'll manage to entertain me all the way through.
Well, I certainly wasn't in any way offended by your concerns (which may have been a bit sternly stated, but were not unfair concerns at this point), only wanted to clear up that one little question. To be honest, I am curious about how people will react to this show in the end, especially if they continue to be rather faithful to the game. But I will say that I think the opinions of people who make it to the end will be quite different from those who quit part-way, even if the opinion is negative in either case. There is some nuance to some of the characters that defies simple classification, and exploring those nuanced personalities is a key aspect of story. Basically, I think enjoying this show hinges on whether you're interested enough in the characters to get to know them (and if someone's too quick to judge/dismiss them, then they probably won't stick around to find out what they're really like and why). I guess you could say this story is a series of character studies.
Old 2011-10-21, 05:48   Link #199
Chase

Some how i get some enjoyment out of this show. Im glad a took a chance on it cuz its decent to me so far. I couldn't help but think to my self "haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa busted!!!!!!!!" at the ending when Shingo sees Airi at the market.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 23:41   Link #200
amoirsp

It's nice that several pros and cons of the series seem to be clear and synonymous. Personally I'd say Manglobe is doing more of a fail-safe system where it won't be bad enough to suck but nothing particularly stands out.

Hm I noticed one small thing that I must ask the players.
Spoiler:

Regarding the Shingo-finishing-paperwork I was originally going to say he requested help but there's no indication of that either.

That's it for now. I do like the character allocation balance as they're all in check without too much over or under usage. Sana will still be an x-factor due to the lower information.

Looking forward to next week.

Last edited by amoirsp; 2011-10-21 at 23:42. Reason: Spoiler function needs no s.
amoirsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen