Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2023-04-27, 06:36   Link #1341
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Is the manga or the ending critically acclaimed in Japan or something? This reeks of forced continuation, milking for even the slightest bucks. Did the other work or works of the author flop?
I heard it's the opposite, people were so mad at the ending that his next works all bombed. This is his attempt to retcon the ending, or at least baiting people into thinking he will and make some bucks with this sequel.

Note: I have never read this manga.
Old 2023-04-27, 09:10   Link #1342
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I heard it's the opposite, people were so mad at the ending that his next works all bombed. This is his attempt to retcon the ending, or at least baiting people into thinking he will and make some bucks with this sequel.

Yeah, I caught similar news years ago.

Its not because Masamune-kun a critically acclaimed work, more because all new works from author afterwards got poor receptions.

I suspect this is part of reason to why and how Masamune-kun S2 anime get approval.
It doesn't make sense to get second season without upcoming related works; expected more couple wank considering post-ending extras.
Old 2023-04-27, 10:25   Link #1343
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

The ending was fine it just took an absurd amount of twists and turns to get there in the final volume.

I'm not sure what to make of the sequel yet but criticisms of the main series were all over the place. It does have a bit of a shoujo feel and the MC is a fatty turned ikemen that is kinda conceited unlike Yuuya from Iseleve. I really loved the series though overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Its not because Masamune-kun a critically acclaimed work, more because all new works from author afterwards got poor receptions.
The author wrote a yuri manga with a different artist (that got cancelled) but I think they mostly switched to LNs.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-28, 02:18   Link #1344
WingedAccelerator

The manga is all over the place too, so it should be fine. It doesn't really excel in anything. Neither in romance, neither in comedy.

By far the biggest issue is the actual revenge plot revealed to be caused by a misunderstanding. You can't get away with that if you build your entire manga around that.

If you further think about it, Masamune was just coping all along with getting slim and never really fell out of love with Aki. The moment he learns the truth, he goes instantly to confess even though the present Aki is a shit and he is a fullly aware, but doesn't care. Other instances include him being really meticulous about how he is gonna reject her or dump her, but in reality he never wanted to do any of that.

The Aki-Yoshino relationship awfully felt like Kaguya-Hayasaka. In both cases the maids have legitimate criticisms over their masters, till the authors make the masters the victims, wank them, and any legitimate points the maids have are discarded. You just can't win against the main heroines, you are not allowed to.

If Masamune's objective is close to being fulfilled, the manga introduces a plot device character whose only purpose is to stall things. Neko was one thing, sure, it confirmed early on my suspicion that Masamune is in love with Aki. Gasou though? Fake fat Masamune, who is actually a girl, just in time when the real Masamune was close to winning or telling the truth to Aki. Big middle finger, dear author.

But not the biggest middle finger. You know, the infamous bait & switch at the end. Again the problem is not the switch itself, but the bait, and man, there is plenty of setup that ultimately meant nothing. Masamune told Yoshino he had the most fun together with her when they were devising plans, not during the time he spent with Aki or Neko. Masamune started to get rashes on his skin when he was with Aki and Neko, but not with Yoshino. Masamune had a dream in which he is already dating Yoshino. All these Yoshino end hints just for Masamune going LOL, I turned her down for the Akitussy , revealed in the "final" chapter.

Last edited by WingedAccelerator; 2023-04-28 at 16:34.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-28, 10:39   Link #1345
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

And then the manga starts with a long distance relationship and Yoshino going to the same uni as MC (not Aki) as a new rival starts a fight for MC... Sigh.

This series only attracted readers because of Tiv art (I declare myself guilty) and because there was expectations of revenge (fraud).
Old 2023-04-28, 12:10   Link #1346
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Another bait then. He knows Yoshino was popular back then and a lot of readers were upset about that whole bait and switch ending he did with Yoshino and Aki.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-28, 18:13   Link #1347
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Oh boy, a whole new can of worms. Still got the scars to show that I've been through the trenches with this manga. I've seen and endured things that no man should ever need to see or endure and lost many comrades along the way.

On a more serious note, time has softened my hatred towards this manga's ending, but would I willingly jump back into this knowing fully well what I went through during the manga's initial run? Idk.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-29, 05:18   Link #1348
WingedAccelerator

Suffered through the first chapter. It's as dumb as ever.

Yoshino still calls Masamune "Piggy" for no reason, calls Aki "Aki-sama" for no reason, while Masamune still calls her "Master" for no reason. Give me a break from this shit. Also, don't you dare pretending, dear author, that Masamune has no idea why Yoshino is so cold towards him. The dude acts like it's the most natural thing to be buddy-buddy with the girl he rejected.

New girl kisses Masamune on the lips and declares him as her lover. Pretty realistic and reasonable thing to do. Not to mention the "campus shooting" with a paintball gun.

Whether Aki participates in this farce or not, Masamune is not going to break up with her. Neither on or off-screen. Therefore, I'm out.
Old 2023-04-29, 11:34   Link #1349
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Yoshino still calls Masamune "Piggy" for no reason, calls Aki "Aki-sama" for no reason, while Masamune still calls her "Master" for no reason. Give me a break from this shit. Also, don't you dare pretending, dear author, that Masamune has no idea why Yoshino is so cold towards him. The dude acts like it's the most natural thing to be buddy-buddy with the girl he rejected.
They did a volume of afterstories (After School) as well as a oneshot (Rental Boyfriend) so its pretty well established that everyone stayed friends after the manga ending. I was generally indifferent to Yoshino but I wonder if we'll see Neko at all... anyway a sequel is somewhat unnecessary overall but I'm curious to see what they do with it I guess. And it got us S2 of the anime so I'm grateful for that.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-29, 14:20   Link #1350
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Suffered through the first chapter. It's as dumb as ever.

Yoshino still calls Masamune "Piggy" for no reason, calls Aki "Aki-sama" for no reason, while Masamune still calls her "Master" for no reason.
Yoshino still works for Aki's family, so why would she change the way she called her?

It's not as if Yoshino or Masamune hate each other, so there's no need to stop with the nicknames. You're stretching.

Quote:
Therefore, I'm out
See you next week.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-29, 15:34   Link #1351
WingedAccelerator

She said she is a ronin that lives in the Adagaki Family's home, so not a working maid. Also, she was told to go to university instead of succeeding her mom's work.

The Piggy name had plot relevance in the main manga. Its relevance is long gone. Yoshino is entitled to call him that if she insists, but clinging to that name when he is not even fat for a decade or so now is ridiculous.

Master and why she got it also has zero relevance now.

It's more nitpicking than stretching. Pretty sure the manga will be monthly though.
Old 2023-04-30, 10:41   Link #1352
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

I budged and gave it a read just to see where it's at and what it might be going for.

An observation I made on the final page was that the tagline read "Another love triangle occurred?" Which tells me that Aki could indeed be absent from the story for awhile.

I see this developing into a triangle where Yoshino is constantly on the defensive trying to block this other girl's advances while also suppressing her own feelings for Masamune because he already has Aki... who is going to be absent for quite a bit of the story (only to reappear in a later arc to remind everyone that she is the real main heroine and is therefore inevitable) or she may be absent from the story in its entirety (leaving Yoshino as essentially the [false] main heroine).

This could just be the author's way of acknowledging that he fucked up with Yoshino during the initial run and is his way of making it up to us. Either way, this doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things because after all is said and done, Masamune's still gonna end up with Aki regardless of what transpires in this new story. She essentially becomes Asuna (SAO). She can be absent for entire story arcs, but her position as the [real] main heroine is never truly threatened. This new manga is simply needless drama being created to milk an already concluded story.

And what's up with the manga's "Engagement" subtitle? Is it just a subtitle with no story relevance or is it going to be a central plot in the story? Idk if I'll even stick around to find out tbh.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2023-04-30, 15:21   Link #1353
Estzero1

Unfortunately everything you said is probably true, but imagine the author is trying to make up for his mistakes and Yoshino is cucking Aki in the end. I would laugh for sure .

What´s the answer to everything ?
Estzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-01, 01:45   Link #1354
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

This whole thing reminds me The Devil is a Part Timer situation. Both ending has a lot of issues and a lot of readers were upset. Both Authors' next work weren't popular and both are trying to get back their golden days by writing continuation of their Novels. Too little too late I'd say.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2023-05-03, 01:32   Link #1355
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

This returning soured my mood for the day. I was NOT a fan of the bait and switch, I put all in on Yoshino Coin and I lost. I will never forget the utter humiliation
By now, it is common knowledge that the author is OBSESSED with Aki. So much so, that even if Yoshino was gaining a lead I'd still be cautious because they could always pull the dreaded "bait and switch".
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-03, 16:37   Link #1356
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^If he's a smart guy, he won't pull that bullshit a second time. This is his only franchise that generates any sort of long term revenue for him and if he's trying to regain some of the readers he lost during the manga's first run, it's in his best interest to not pull controversial shit multiple times.

He does that again, he effectively destroys the one franchise keeping his career relevant.
Old 2023-11-30, 19:42   Link #1357
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
This returning soured my mood for the day. I was NOT a fan of the bait and switch, I put all in on Yoshino Coin and I lost. I will never forget the utter humiliation
By now, it is common knowledge that the author is OBSESSED with Aki. So much so, that even if Yoshino was gaining a lead I'd still be cautious because they could always pull the dreaded "bait and switch".
Guess what.

You weren't the only one who thought the same way, japan fans didn't buy it either so sales didn't look good (anime didn't help at all) so the magazine announced that this series ends with the second book. So yeah, Masamune College project ends now.
Old 2023-12-01, 13:28   Link #1358
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Author could have fixed this if he just done a second scenario where Yoshino won. Like a Second route. Similar to the We Never Learn manga. I get that the Author favors Aki but the fans preference were with Yoshino so forcing Aki on their throats left a sour taste on a lot of them.

Old 2023-12-01, 13:49   Link #1359
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Author could have fixed this if he just done a second scenario where Yoshino won. Like a Second route. Similar to the We Never Learn manga. I get that the Author favors Aki but the fans preference were with Yoshino so forcing Aki on their throats left a sour taste on a lot of them.
The end result is not the problem. Even if Yoshino "won" the story still wouldn't win any favors from me.

The bait and switch just ruins any faith I have that the author is trying to write a story.
So what if you flip their roles? It would still come off as pandering as if they just came up with it on the spot.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 15:27   Link #1360
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Nah, having Yoshino win ruins the entire point of her character imho.

I used to hate her but after rewatching both anime seasons, I quite like her.

I just don't like her and Makabe together. They don't have any chemistry and her "feelings" for him are random...like I just can't buy it.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2023-12-01 at 15:37.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bait and switch, harem, romance, tsundere, white knight protagonist