Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-13, 19:35   Link #1
Kytherno
12th Supernova

D. Gray Man or Darker than Black.

I'm currently looking into both of these animes. But I'm not sure which to pick.

Anyone know which is better?

Also, if it helps, I'm into supernatural stuff, fighting, a bit of psychology, and stuff like that.

An Epitome is Code Geass.
Old 2009-07-13, 20:02   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Personally, I don't like either animes.

These are major spoilers.. Unless you have watched the anime, it may not be a good idea to read them.

Spoiler for D. Gray-Man:

Spoiler for Darker than Black:

If you have to watch one of the two, I would suggest Darker than Black as that Nana-sama voices one of the main characters.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:44   Link #3
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

This should be in Suggestions...

To answer your question, it depends on what you like.

D. Gray Man is shounen, so it has a lot of action, but also it's darker than most other shounens out there, which gives it a little edge. However, it has issues with pacing, inconsistent animation and fillers.

Darker than Black has definitely better production quality - music, animation, story, but the ending was kind of mediocre. A second season is coming up, though, so you might give it a try.
Old 2009-07-14, 00:31   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Darker than black is getting a 2nd season I think, I haven't seen it but I'd guess it's better than D.Gray-man in terms of seriousness...but when(/if) D.Gray-man gets another season, it will definitely have the upper hand on the psychological domain. Hmm...toss a coin?

P.S:if it lands on its edge watch jigoku shoujo instead xD
Old 2009-07-14, 00:51   Link #5
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Darker than Black. Better storyline, better character development, almost no fillers, and a better ending (even both endings were pretty much shouting out "this shall continue")

D.Gray Man has way too many fillers, and nobody tends to stay dead
Spoiler for Somewhat of a spoiler:

P.S, Darker than Black has a girl that looks simlar to C.C from Code Geass.
Old 2009-07-14, 22:12   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Who in Darker than Black looks like C.C.? O.o;;; Surely not Amber or Kirihara...
Old 2009-07-14, 22:57   Link #7
cerrian

Skip D.Gray Man. It's very much like Naurto which isn't bad per say, but the pacing and fillers are what killed both series for me even though I found both storylines to be quite facinating. Had D.Gray Man and Naurto just stuck with the main plot and avoided the pointless fillers and the 5 episode long fights then they would have been so much better off even if it meant that they were only half as long.

Darker than Black is the way to go in this case.
Old 2009-07-14, 23:52   Link #8
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Who in Darker than Black looks like C.C.? O.o;;; Surely not Amber or Kirihara...
Amber looks close enough.
Old 2009-07-15, 01:09   Link #9
Cipher

Both animes aren't very "exciting". It has this "dull-like" setting and mood. But more supernatural+fighting= D.Gray man. More psycho=Darker than black
Old 2009-07-15, 06:28   Link #10
Aqua Knight

DGM fillers weren't that bad actually and don't compare it to Naruto. FMA is the one which needs to be compared. I'm still in doubts what's better FMA or DGM ( I haven't read FMA manga yet)

Still watch Darker than Black first. Such series as that are easier to watch due to 25 episodes because DGM has 103.
Old 2009-07-15, 13:05   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Well if you want something along lines of CG I would say skip both these shows . They are different, something along lines of CG minus mecha would Death-Note or Monster.

If I were to make a direct comparison I would say DTB is better than DGM . If I were to properly compare both these shows I would say DGM . The reason being a well scripted anime cant be compared with a long running weekly manga . The question you should be asking yourself before choosing would be

* Do you have time on your hands ?

Spoiler for Anime:

* Do you mind manga ?

Spoiler for Anime:

* What type of anime shows Do you prefer ?

Spoiler for Anime:

If time is not a problem I would say watch both these shows they are quite enjoyable and entertaining