AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-19, 19:52   Link #381
Xplosivv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet-kun View Post
I've been itching to ask.

Has it ever been confirmed by anyone that Lyon was the baby from nineteen years ago?
I just finished the episode, and I believe it was. That's the whole thing, the main episode was a Kakera where Leon wasn't thrown of the cliff.

--

Anyhow, this episode pretty much throws Shkannon(trice) in my face, but it doesn't roll for me. I know there are scenes with no detective, but it still bothers me that the rest of the servants would talk to Shannon and Kanon.

It, just doesn't work for me.
Old 2010-08-19, 19:55   Link #382
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosivv View Post
I just finished the episode, and I believe it was. That's the whole thing, the main episode was a Kakera where Leon wasn't thrown of the cliff.

--

Anyhow, this episode pretty much throws Shkannon(trice) in my face, but it doesn't roll for me. I know there are scenes with no detective, but it still bothers me that the rest of the servants would talk to Shannon and Kanon.

It, just doesn't work for me.
On the same vein, why was it impossible for Will to talk to both Shannon and Kanon at the same time? Because they're the same person? That logic doesn't work in that world, since Leon is Shannon/Kanon, and Will saw Leon with both of them at least once. So the only reason we weren't shown them together was because Shannon's "Master" forbade it.
Old 2010-08-19, 20:08   Link #383
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
On the same vein, why was it impossible for Will to talk to both Shannon and Kanon at the same time? Because they're the same person? That logic doesn't work in that world, since Leon is Shannon/Kanon, and Will saw Leon with both of them at least once. So the only reason we weren't shown them together was because Shannon's "Master" forbade it.
I think you're missing the bigger problem. In Leon's world, Shannon and Kanon cannot exist at all. We have Jessica remembering scenes from the original world, and Will saying that this chapel area is a construct that's a mix of several worlds, which explains why things don't quite add up.

In other words, Kanon and Shannon are not from the same world as Leon, so it doesn't matter if they're shown next to him/her. The mere fact that they exist in the same world at all is contradiction enough, but since the world we're in doesn't actually exist, that isn't a problem.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2010-08-19, 20:15   Link #384
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
I think you're missing the bigger problem. In Leon's world, Shannon and Kanon cannot exist at all. We have Jessica remembering scenes from the original world, and Will saying that this chapel area is a construct that's a mix of several worlds, which explains why things don't quite add up.

In other words, Kanon and Shannon are not from the same world as Leon, so it doesn't matter if they're shown next to him/her. The mere fact that they exist in the same world at all is contradiction enough, but since the world we're in doesn't actually exist, that isn't a problem.
Right, I understand that quite well. It's just, if the world is a contradiction already, then why can't contradictions mix? That world doesn't seem to be bound by rules... Kinzo is alive, Leon is walking around, and Shannon and Kanon exist alongside Leon. It seems silly to me to think that, of all these contradictions, that only the one contradiction isn't allowed.
Old 2010-08-19, 20:33   Link #385
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
Right, I understand that quite well. It's just, if the world is a contradiction already, then why can't contradictions mix? That world doesn't seem to be bound by rules... Kinzo is alive, Leon is walking around, and Shannon and Kanon exist alongside Leon. It seems silly to me to think that, of all these contradictions, that only the one contradiction isn't allowed.
It's not that they can't mix, it's that the Game Master didn't let them mix, I think. That's why the scene, taken by itself, is far from proof that Shkanon is true. It clearly happened because Bern wanted it to happen. Even if Shkanon is true, I doubt she'd react quite like that when confronted

Old 2010-08-19, 21:45   Link #386
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
...actually, the kanji used to write "Ronoue" are apparently never used as part of a name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless anyone does, I bet that name is not the one Genji was born with. Were he to be a foreigner born with that name, it would be in kana.
Out of curiosity, is there any way you can twist "Ronoue" into, say... Italian? Giuseppe to Genji? I dunno, but we've got an Italian around, we should ask and see if anything's similar.

It might fit with your "saved his life" idea. He could be much younger than Kinzo even if he was present as a younger sailor, given that Kinzo was likely in his 30s.
Quote:
It's not that they can't mix, it's that the Game Master didn't let them mix, I think. That's why the scene, taken by itself, is far from proof that Shkanon is true. It clearly happened because Bern wanted it to happen. Even if Shkanon is true, I doubt she'd react quite like that when confronted
Which makes me wonder what Bern's perspective on Shkanon is to begin with. She wouldn't prohibit it outright if she had no thought or opinion on it, though she'd do this whether it's true or false to troll Will (and us). Question is, was she the one forbidding it, or is this "master" somebody else?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-08-19, 21:55   Link #387
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Which makes me wonder what Bern's perspective on Shkanon is to begin with. She wouldn't prohibit it outright if she had no thought or opinion on it, though she'd do this whether it's true or false to troll Will (and us). Question is, was she the one forbidding it, or is this "master" somebody else?
To be honest, I think it's mainly just Ryuukishi joking with us. I'm sure if any of his readers went to Rokkenjima, it's pretty much the first thing they'd ask to see. Unfortunately, that doesn't help us find out whether it's true or not, since it'd be just as funny/freaky either way.

Old 2010-08-20, 01:13   Link #388
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

One thing I would like to know about Ep7 is... well, more than one, but they're tightly related.

Where is Battler in Leon's world? In the text, Leon seems to say he is on good terms with Battler, and mentions pinching his butt. But there is no way Battler is a frequent visitor to Rokkenjima. That would only work if Battler never left the family, or came back much earlier, but I didn't really catch which it was. Whichever it was, was Leon responsible? How?

Where is the Other Battler in Leon's world? The hypothetical person has interesting properties: a) It has to be born to Ushiromiya Asumu, but does not really have to be a grandson of Kinzo. b) It can be born at the same time as Our Battler, but nothing actually stops it from having been born earlier or later. Like, say, 19 years ago, or, as late as Ange. (Which actually suggests there is a slim chance Asumu died giving birth to Ange, but that would hardly explain anything.)

What is Asumu's maiden name? Could it, by any chance, be Yasuda?

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-20, 01:38   Link #389
Crontica

Quote:
Oh god "The girl who leapt through time" was easier than this
Old 2010-08-20, 02:28   Link #390
Used Can

Quote:
What is Asumu's maiden name? Could it, by any chance, be Yasuda?
Yasu was a nickname she received, which basically refers to her as a cheap servant.
You know, they're basically calling her worthless/useless.

Either way, am I the only one who wants a classic Battler vs Beatrice confrontation in EP8? Naturally, this time not as enemies, but as people/witches/whatever they are having fun.
Old 2010-08-20, 03:25   Link #391
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Yasu was a nickname she received, which basically refers to her as a cheap servant.
You know, they're basically calling her worthless/useless.
The text does say that it is derived from an original last name that has no clear origin, unless I'm severely mistaken.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-20, 03:43   Link #392
DgBarca

By coincidence...I just watched the OP again and...well...
I think the bomb theory, or Bern's gameboard in all...will be...destroyed...
I mean...Yeah, the Dlanor scene...
Spoiler for Huge:

Why....I...am...writing...with...so....much....... .points?........
Old 2010-08-20, 03:52   Link #393
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgBarca View Post
Well...The bomb theory, to be denied with Know, I guess it's :
Knox's 4th. It is forbidden for unknown drugs or hard to understand scientific devices to be USED!!
It depends.

I must say that detonating 900 metric tons of any explosive all at once is a serious engineering feat. Especially if they are not actually a demolition bomb, but an ammunition storehouse as the text claims.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-20, 04:11   Link #394
Marion
The Great Dine

Well it's not hard to understand at all and the game explains the bomb pretty much in full.

The bomb is a clock inside of the room where the gold is (or in a corridor by the gold room) that has a right switch for on and a left switch for off (or maybe it's the other way around can't remember specifics). The clock is wired to 900 tons of dynamite located in a storehouse and the timer can be turned on or off at any time. Yasu waits in the gold room at night, waiting to see if anyone solves the epitaph. If no one does by midnight of October 5th then (s)he turns it on and leaves to start the epitaph murders.

Although as Oliver said, how the hell anyone can have 900 tons of dynamite anywhere is crazy. Then again Kinzo was an engineer and he is pretty nuts (not that Yasu isn't any crazier, what with setting up a bomb to blow the entire island up). Other than that it's not a hard to understand thing at all.

That and Dlanor doesn't appear in EP 7 at all.
Old 2010-08-20, 04:38   Link #395
Disz

I know Erika died and all but....doesn't Dlanor not appearing strike anyone as odd?I mean,why would she be in the OP?Unless EP8 is going to use the same.And why the flames?
Old 2010-08-20, 04:50   Link #396
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disz View Post
I know Erika died and all but....doesn't Dlanor not appearing strike anyone as odd?
It didn't for me. I predicted that actually based on the fact that Erika died. With her gone Dlanor has no reason to be there since she was employed to protect her. I know a lot of people were disappointed expecting a Knox vs Dine battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disz View Post
I mean,why would she be in the OP?Unless EP8 is going to use the same.And why the flames?
It's recap stuff.
Old 2010-08-20, 05:47   Link #397
Used Can

Quote:
The text does say that it is derived from an original last name that has no clear origin, unless I'm severely mistaken.
Yes, the nickname Yasu was derived from Yasuda.
If I remember correctly, when Yasu was explaining how the "On" names worked, she said not all the kids knew who their parents were. So, I guess names were given to them. Yasu got Yasuda.

Well, Asumu may have been Yasuda, who knows?
Old 2010-08-20, 08:15   Link #398
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Although as Oliver said, how the hell anyone can have 900 tons of dynamite anywhere is crazy. Then again Kinzo was an engineer and he is pretty nuts (not that Yasu isn't any crazier, what with setting up a bomb to blow the entire island up). Other than that it's not a hard to understand thing at all.
If I understand it, it's not dynamite or explosives as such, but 900 tons of undetonated WW2-era torpedoes. Disregarding whether they would even still work (Rudolf or someone actually brings this up and Beatrice assures she's checked their potency), that's a lot of munitions for the Japanese government and/or Allies to overlook. The gold is one thing; after all, nobody was supposed to know it existed (in theory, anyway). But the Japanese government definitely knew Rokkenjima was a sub pen, so they'd have to know how many torpedoes they shipped out there.

But it's not hard to understand, for sure. It's basically a big bomb. Send electrical charge triggered on a timer (in this case, the clock), bomb goes boom. It's a little more complex than that, but it's easy enough to grasp the basic idea.

Old 2010-08-20, 08:41   Link #399
Oliver

Quote:
If I understand it, it's not dynamite or explosives as such, but 900 tons of undetonated WW2-era torpedoes.
For reference: A single Kaiten carries just over 1.5t worth of explosives. If that were in particular Kaiten torpedoes, there would have to be about 600 of them. Only 400 were built, and 100 of these were launched, so it definitely can't be them.

It can be Type 92 and Type 93 torpedoes, but that's still enough supply for most of the fleet for several major battles. You can forget that many bricks of explosives, but you don't forget that many complete ready-made munitions of, well, any kind. The text, however, clearly says it were them, without elaborating on type.

Quote:
But it's not hard to understand, for sure. It's basically a big bomb. Send electrical charge triggered on a timer (in this case, the clock), bomb goes boom. It's a little more complex than that, but it's easy enough to grasp the basic idea.
The particular challenge is to prevent the natural desynchronisation of the detonators from scattering charges that have yet to blow. Whether that happens or not heavily depends upon which particular mix of explosive substances was used...
...and whether there have been any earthquakes affecting the area.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-20, 08:54   Link #400
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well it apparently worked, whatever it was.

Closed Thread