AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-19, 16:00   Link #261
hanashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessing-love View Post
Honestly? I don't see Tohru being mature enough to process Minko's interest in him, and deliberately apprentice zone her. He really doesn't see her as a girl. And he really doesn't act his age when it comes to Ohana, or girls period. In my eyes, he's an honorary high school boy-no, honorary middle school boy. HE FREAKING BINGE EATS WHEN HE'S ROMANTICALLY DEPRESSED.

(don't get me wrong-like this character, but let's not kid ourselves about any of the younger cast members' maturity.)
LOL. Wouldn't that make him an honorary high school girl? Or is it supposed to be ice cream? I always ate sushi and negimaki when I was depressed about boys.

Ohana totally called it on him. On one hand, she was right, on the other hand, my mind boggled at her calling someone else bad at handling others. He's got basically zero experience with girls, which amazes me because he's pretty hot, even though he's focused on cooking. No one has been assertive enough to ask him out?
Old 2011-06-19, 16:24   Link #262
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

@ Ocean: In the preview? That was Enishi not Tooru. Saying, you're lighter than you look or something like that.

And yeah, I think Tooru just pretty much doesn't see Minko as a potentital love interest. And its not sad at all, its more like...realistic? I mean, come on! We've all been through that! We've all fallen in love with a certain person and that person would probably see a cat as a more romantic aspect rather than oneself. It happens, ALL THE TIME. Its not just something related to anime. >.>

And also, there's people saying that Minko should end up with Tooru because she liked him first. I mean...SERIOUSLY? If we were all to end with the first person that we fell for, then right now I'd still be dating the guy I liked back in 2nd grade. >.>

On to another ship related thing. I was giving it a bit of thought and came to the following conclusion following OhanaxTooruxMinko.

If Ohana we´re to fall for Tooru and we already know that Tooru has fallen for Ohana, many people say that Ohana would never touch Tooru since he is "Minko´s property" (on this, I seriously don't know what's going through their minds). Ok then, so let's go with that scenario:

Ohana leaves Tooru....the result:

-Broken Ohana since she can't be the one she loves / ends up sacrificing her own happiness
-Broken Tooru since he can't be with the one he loves / ends up being sacrificed
-Broken Minko / Because even if Tooru and Ohana never get together that will not change the fact that Tooru does not see her a romantic interest and probably never will / Guilt at having her friend and the guy she loves being emotionally hurt because of her.

Just my thoughts though.

And Tooru, you don't smoke? HALLELUJAH!!! The guys at my college should follow your example!!!
Old 2011-06-19, 16:56   Link #263
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
@ Ocean: In the preview? That was Enishi not Tooru. Saying, you're lighter than you look or something like that.
I ALWAYS CONFUSE THEIR VOICES DX ... That explains why he said "You're really light, MOM"... Ugh. I thought Tooru was calling Satsuki his mom, Now that I think about it, it's too soon for that. xD

Also, how come most people don't consider Tooru as a possible love interest? "It's either Ko or no one.", like Tooru has no chance. He and Ko have about the same possibility of ending up with Ohana. But the problem is Ohana. The two pairings are both one sided because she doesn't seem to have any official feelings yet for either one. She's still focused on if Ko's her friend or something more but that doesn't eliminate Tooru as a possible lover. :/

Last edited by Sugarless Ocean; 2011-06-19 at 17:09.
Old 2011-06-19, 17:12   Link #264
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I think Ohana right now isn't really in love with Ko, she's just confused. Actually, she doesn't even think of him as a romantic interest.

Namiko (glasse girl) asked her if she liked Ko and how. Ohana said she liked him but when faced as "how" she said as a person without hesitation. I think that speaks a lot about Ohana´s feelings. Most people are confusing Ohana´s feelings with love when (the way I see it) its more like Ohana is scared of letting go of her best friend who always gave her support. In other words, she just feels pressured.

And as for Tooru, its true that Ohana yet has to show romantic interest in him but that doesn't necessarily put him out of the race. If anything, I think they're slowly trying to build Tooru as her support. In episode 2, even though she said she detested him, his words of advice did manage to bring something home to her. The fact that she couldn't do anything by herself. Thanks to that, she was able to befriend Nako and Minko, because she went and told them that she wanted to be able to rely on them.

And now episode 12, when Ohana couldn't sleep, Tooru sat down with her in the living room and said, "I think I'll be able to rest better on this couch."

I took that as an implication that of: "I´ll keep you company."

Also, she was still depressed, rambling on about romance. What did he do though his actions? He was able to pull Ohana out of her depression and make her put that in the back of her mind. Via sort of teasing her, but in the end he helped her feel a bit better.

And then when Ohana was rambling on about her "absurd" plan of kidnapping her mom, Tooru instead of being "WTF?!" like Minko, supported her plan in hopes of helping her. And even made the condition of bringing Ko along too. From my POV, he was doing two things at once.

1. Trying to make her feel better and have her confront Ko once and for all
2. Trying to take on Ko as competiton face to face

Also, he may not look it to most people, but Tooru is slowly starting to become someone capable of supporting Ohana and helping her mature. Not only is his supportive in his own way of trying to help her, but he´s also trying to understand her and help with the whole Mom situation.

Its pretty obvious by now that Tooru is pretty serious about her and that he'll most likely start to take action in the second cour of the anime.

Oh and the most important part:

Ohana used to hate him but now she told him straight in the face that she thinks he's a great person. And later on she also told Minko that Tooru was a nicer person than she expected.

EDIT: Also, about Tooru being serious about her. When he asked her about the boyfriend part and Ohana kept denying, you could tell he wasn't happy at all at the fact that he was right about the competition. XD;;
Old 2011-06-19, 17:36   Link #265
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
1. Trying to make her feel better and have her confront Ko once and for all
2. Trying to take on Ko as competiton face to face
There's also the possibility he was planning to toss him into the ocean in ten seperate bags

Quote:
Ohana used to hate him but now she told him straight in the face that she thinks he's a great person. And later on she also told Minko that Tooru was a nicer person than she expected.
As likely as the glorious *ForeverAlone* ending is, it DOES seem like Tohru seems to actually possess the best odds at getting with Ohana by the end of the series.

Cause I mean, Ohana's interactions with Tohru have advanced ALLOT more than they have with Ko...which just seem to be getting more distant as the series progresses.
Old 2011-06-19, 17:41   Link #266
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Holy crud!!! TEN SEPERATE BAGS?!? xDD;;

Probably wouldn't be a problem for Tooru though, since he is very skilled with the knife. xD;;

And I see you're a huge fan of "Forever Alone". xD;; But yes, as of now I also feel that Tooru has the best chances of winning in the end. Ko and Ohana have only been getting more and more distant, even Ohana said it herself that she can't go back to the way things we´re.

OP foreshadowing!!
Spoiler for :O:

Foreshadowing, true or not true? Its up to you guys. o3o But I believe in OP foreshadowing now. xD;;
Old 2011-06-19, 18:11   Link #267
magrat

Hi, new to anime suki forums! I don't watch much anime but a male character who isn't all totally shonen or gorgeously perfect or super sensitive sweetheart or total useless (created for laughs) don't seem that common. I think that's why I like this character so much. He seems like a normal guy, a very driven and focused guy, but a guy. He can be cool and he can be dorky and he can express an interest, albeit not very sophisticated, in females.

His character has gotten some criticism this episode for how he treated Minko. I think it makes sense. He sees her as an apprentice and his responsibility, since the only reason she is at Kissuiso and learning to be a chef, is because he said he would train her. Also, in a weird way I don't mind the way he treated her. He sees her as his apprentice first and foremost. He didn't think "Oh noes, I can't have her eat this food because she's a girl. So she has a smaller stomach can't eat as much and she probably has to watch her weight." Or "Oh noes, she ate all this food, so the poor fragile girl is sick." He was like, okay you're sick, just man up, and go throw up, then you'll feel better. Maybe, in the west, we're used to men treating women with more delicacy. What I like is that he's not trying to second guess what she can and can't handle. He's going to treat her like he would a male apprentice. Since, he appreciates bluntness, I suspect if she stood her ground and said I can taste these dishes but not eat them all, he would backdown and let her only eat some of the food.

Even though he did a lot of "development of the palate" to distract himself, I like how was trying to analyze the ways in which a dish succeeded or failed after each meal. Sometimes, when I need to distract myself, I find myself really concentrating and end up being really productive at work. I like also how he won all those sushi pillows as gifts (omiyage) for people back home. It seems this character gets a lot of flack for not being kind or thoughtful enough. But, he's respectful of his elders and superiors, he takes his training duties seriously, he will leave a friend's wedding reception because he is badly needed at the inn, and he will buy gifts for friends/family/co-workers. I don't get some criticisms made about his character.

I really like this character and how he's being developed, especially in this latest episode. Of course, it helps that he is a nice looking, serious and independent guy, and he rides a motorcycle.
Old 2011-06-19, 18:21   Link #268
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Holy crud!!! TEN SEPERATE BAGS?!? xDD;;

Probably wouldn't be a problem for Tooru though, since he is very skilled with the knife. xD;;
We need more male Yandere! (...or is that just a regular psychopath?)
Quote:
And I see you're a huge fan of "Forever Alone". xD;;
That'd be the hilarious ending.
Quote:
And I see you're a huge fan of "Forever Alone". xD;; But yes, as of now I also feel that Tooru has the best chances of winning in the end. Ko and Ohana have only been getting more and more distant, even Ohana said it herself that she can't go back to the way things we´re.
That will result in the maximum trolling. And I'm honestly finding that I enjoy trolling with this series!
Old 2011-06-19, 18:40   Link #269
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Welcome to Animesuki Magrat! o.o/

And I enjoyed reading your analisis on Tooru. xD;; And I totally agree with you on the Minko part. He wasn´t being evil. He was doing his work in mentoring her.

:P And yeah, Tooru's great isn't he?! xD A motorcycle, sexy, can cook, dependable, AND HE HAS TALENT IN THOSE CLAW MACHINES. ALL THE PLUSHIES YOU WANT. o.ob

@ Rambo:.....For some reason I think you'd enjoy "Candy Candy". The main girl is an orphan, but then she gets adopted, mistreated and falls in love with a guy. Said guy dies in a horse accident. Years later she falls in love with another guy, this guy loves her too. Another girl likes this guy, girl ends up in an accident and paralyzed. Main girl gives up guy so the guy will go with the paralyzed girl. She sacrifices her love. She returns to the orphanage later. FOREVER ALONE AND SUFFERING. Her two loves were forever impossible. The end.
Old 2011-06-19, 19:14   Link #270
hanashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
There's also the possibility he was planning to toss him into the ocean in ten seperate bags
What? No cement shoes?

I found myself liking Tooru the most as this episode went. Satsuki was a close second, mostly because she only had about 5 minutes of screen time He's got the social mannerisms of a high school boy and the perceptiveness of an adult and it keeps throwing me. He's clearly worried and depressed but he's not second-guessing himself, he's just trying to distract himself in a way that's productive.

He likes Ohana more than I thought he did. No matter how logical it might seem, sending the girl you like off to resolve things with her sorta-ex is pretty darn selfless. I would not have done that. And hearing Satsuki call Kou Ohana's boyfriend actually seemed to pain him. Normally, we see him blushing all over the place but we don't get a lot of his character interacting for an extended period with Ohana so I didn't realize how far gone he was. I wish we had a timeline for the show.
Old 2011-06-19, 20:35   Link #271
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Yeah, this episode made it clear how pretty far gone for Ohana Tooru is. Episode 10 felt more like a crush but now this episode shows far more emotion/commitment in his feelings.

I love his facial expressions and just how much emotion they give away. In fact, I took the liberty of screencapping some of the scenes that give Tooru away as a love struck man.

Spoiler for Images:
Old 2011-06-19, 20:46   Link #272
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Tooru always seems to know what's best for Ohana. More than once he's given her good judgement. Episode 2 for example.

This episode made Tooru look less like a lovestruck dork and more of what he could be for Ohana if they ever got together. A reliable boyfriend. :3 Although he went totally tsundere when Ohana asked if he had a girlfriend lol

"Maybe I can rest easier on this couch" definitely sounds like an excuse to stay with Ohana. lol And I LOVE the face he makes when Ohana tells him "You don't handle women well, but you're kind" So hilarious! I keep laughing everytime. xDDD

Last edited by Sugarless Ocean; 2011-06-19 at 21:02.
Old 2011-06-20, 15:18   Link #273
hanashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
This episode made Tooru look less like a lovestruck dork and more of what he could be for Ohana if they ever got together. A reliable boyfriend. :3 Although he went totally tsundere when Ohana asked if he had a girlfriend lol
That exchance was what made me go Where was all this perceptiveness before?! Because I probably would not have made the connection to boyfriend troubles from what she said on the information that he had. He was fishing for an answer (And did not look happy when he was proven right), but I was still impressed .

I find it really funny that some people are saying that he's now moved on to/in love with Satsuki. Did we watch the same episode? He is super awkward around women so I can't blame Satsuki for poking him. It's almost as entertaining as ruffling Ohana's feathers.
Old 2011-06-20, 16:00   Link #274
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Well, Tooru has been shown to be pretty perceptive since episode 2. I mean, he was able to catch on pretty quickly that Ohana is not very considerate of what's going on around her. He was also able to see through her "I-can-do-everything-myself" barrier. The only thing he´s ever been shown to be oblivious about is Minko's feelings. But let's face it, that´s always happened to all of us at least once. We've never realized that someone has been in love with us. Mostly because we don't pay that "type" of attention to them.

I think all in all, Tooru is perceptive in things that matter to him, or that he considers of importance to him. He's probably not aware of Minko's feelings since he himself does not think of her that way, nor has he given the beeping daylights of trying to see her that way. He only thinks of her as his apprentice, and therefore will not take notice of anything else about her that has nothing to do with her training.

He's perceptive of Ohana's emotions because he likes her and pays extra close attention to her. He´s perceptive about Satsuki´s emotions since she's Ohana's mother which is causing trouble to Ohana (because Ohana is his love interest). He's perceptive about the whole Kissuiso thing because the whole Kissuiso review matter is going to affect his job. So he's obviously going to be on alert about said topic.

And honestly, I can't see TooruxSatsuki happening. I mean, for the lolz, it´d be gold but seriously speaking, there's no way it can happen. Tooru likes the daughter, not the mother. And his relationship with Satsuki has been proven to be good and even carefree, so he would have no problem at all winning her over to help him out with the Ohana matter.

So, you guys feel KoxOhana is gonna beat TooruxOhana?

I found a TV Trope that describe Tooru and Ko ATM.

Spoiler for TV Trope:

On a totally unrelated note: Its raining over here! Hallelujah! Its pouring really hard and we've even got thunder. -dances around the thread-

EDIT: I think I might just give up shipping on Hanasaku. =.= Some posts of some TooruxMinko shippers (in another forum) have been making me facepalm as of late. I think I'll just keep to my opinion from now and wait to see how the plot unfolds.

-stalks off muttering darkly about blind shippers who can't accept the truth-

Last edited by .x.crii.x.; 2011-06-20 at 23:13.
Old 2011-06-21, 15:40   Link #275
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Well, Tooru has been shown to be pretty perceptive since episode 2. I mean, he was able to catch on pretty quickly that Ohana is not very considerate of what's going on around her. He was also able to see through her "I-can-do-everything-myself" barrier. The only thing he´s ever been shown to be oblivious about is Minko's feelings. But let's face it, that´s always happened to all of us at least once. We've never realized that someone has been in love with us. Mostly because we don't pay that "type" of attention to them.

I think all in all, Tooru is perceptive in things that matter to him, or that he considers of importance to him. He's probably not aware of Minko's feelings since he himself does not think of her that way, nor has he given the beeping daylights of trying to see her that way. He only thinks of her as his apprentice, and therefore will not take notice of anything else about her that has nothing to do with her training.

He's perceptive of Ohana's emotions because he likes her and pays extra close attention to her. He´s perceptive about Satsuki´s emotions since she's Ohana's mother which is causing trouble to Ohana (because Ohana is his love interest). He's perceptive about the whole Kissuiso thing because the whole Kissuiso review matter is going to affect his job. So he's obviously going to be on alert about said topic.

And honestly, I can't see TooruxSatsuki happening. I mean, for the lolz, it´d be gold but seriously speaking, there's no way it can happen. Tooru likes the daughter, not the mother. And his relationship with Satsuki has been proven to be good and even carefree, so he would have no problem at all winning her over to help him out with the Ohana matter
It'd be nice if you put that in the myanimelist forum (if that's the forum your edit was talking about). But it would probably start a shipping war and we don't want that... although I'm tempted >.> Yeah, I think we shouldn't be so hung up on shipping with HanaIro when all they give us is hints. It doesn't look like the Ko subplot will be resolved anytime soon and the romance thing is very full of troll. :/ The show revolves around Ohana's life and her life's not mainly about romance.

I like the Tooru in episode 12 more than in the past episodes. Before he wasn't directly involved and only appeared for only a few seconds or so to have blushing moments with Ohana. I don't hate it but honestly, he looked like a dork to me xD But he's more reliable in this episode (in episode 9 too) and acted more mature too. I liked how he bonded with Ohana's mom lol I guess it's because Satsuki is like an older Ohana. (All of them are clones, I swear. Except for Enishi...)
Old 2011-06-21, 16:55   Link #276
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Meh, avoiding shipping wars would be best. xDD They can be a goddamn headache after a while. Plus, one side of the war ends up losing. And I sure damn hope it isn't the Tooru side. >o< So let's just avoid that.

Anyway, question!

What color are Tooru´s eyes. xD;; I've tried figuring it out but at times they look brown, other times they look gray....Idk anymore! Dx
Old 2011-06-21, 17:37   Link #277
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

I thought they were gray in episode 12 but I'm rewatching the series again and they look brown. It looks like just about everyone has brown eyes in this show xD So I guess they're brown-gray then.
Old 2011-06-21, 17:51   Link #278
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Remember how we were saying we wanted a beach episode? Well, episode 14 is beach episode. But its a school trip. So we won´t get to see the part we wanted:

Shirtless Tooru playing in the beach

I weep, Oh how I weep.....
Old 2011-06-21, 19:41   Link #279
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

WAITWAITWAIT.

How did you find out about this?
Old 2011-06-21, 20:18   Link #280
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

The previews printed in the newtype magazine. o3o It showed the preview for ep 12, 13 and 14. Someone translated it.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters