AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 488 56.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 237 27.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 6.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 44 5.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 0.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 0.81%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-12, 10:17   Link #21
Cooldude

A bit overrated, it's certainly good, but in the end just feel like they shoved a bunch of sci-fi stuff without much clear-cut explanation, but I guess if I ever read the novel it might be better.
Old 2006-07-21, 02:56   Link #22
Shredder

Overrated but Haruhi (Shana?) is hot. Rock concert I loved. I also liked computer game. ED is enjoyable time after time, haven't seen one like it. Tempted to give 8 but the last minute romance satisfied me. Can't wait for OST. Sci-fi was a little funky and halfhearted (reminded me of Mononoke Hime), and some eps were boring (ep 1, heater ep). Heater ep was ridiculously boring, I fast forwarded at least half of it. It was like watching a security camera.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:12   Link #23
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you ever fast forward an episode of Haruhi it means you've understood less than half of the show itself.

And also I guess I was right that the sci-fi elements of this show does not attract most people. This show is equal parts sci-fi and comedy.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-07-21, 03:17   Link #24
Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
If you ever fast forward an episode of Haruhi it means you've understood less than half of the show itself.
Thanks for the kind words. As for me I don't enjoy watching people or cartoon characters sit in a room reading books or playing board games for stretches of up to a minute, with no dialog. Or walking up hills and riding subways by themselves to fetch heaters. I don't see any development going on there. Maybe some ppl's brains just work faster and allow FF, ne. You can go back to worshipping your Haruhi idol now.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:32   Link #25
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

My words are harsh sometimes but I do mean no harm.

The reason why people are not understanding this show now, is because they watched the show after it has finished. Which is really a pity.

Because this show has so much detail and info, one single person can never grasp and understand everything.

Those episode discussion threads are what that made us love this show so much. Every week we watched the episodes when they aired or when their subs are out and then we discuss them in the episode discussion threads. Thats when we learn how significant every single detail of the show is.

Yuki reading her book, it reveals part of her character, she's quiet, we know that. But it also shows that during most of her life, she's this lonely, she doesn't have people around her. You felt how boring that is, right? If 3 minutes is enough to bore you, imagine Yuki has been going through this for 3 years. Also something extra is that someone found that she flipped the pages every 2 seconds or so, but when people are around her, or Kyon is around, she doesn't flip them for over a minute or so. Is she observing people when they are around and not reading her book?

Kyon climbing up the hill? While doing that he revealed to us that after 7 months, he hasn't really got used to everything, but he has accepted most of it. And he was thinking of Mikuru and Haruhi. Thinking of Mikuru isn't hard, but Kyon thinking of Haruhi is something. It shows that he actually has interest in her, despite thinking of her as a nuisance all the time.

At the end of episode 9 we learn even more, about Haruhi and Kyon's relationship. This episode is a very important episode for the story's development.

I don't even want to talk about episode 1, most people really can't get how brilliant it is, no matter how we explain.

EDIT: Haruhi is not my idol, she's my god.

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-07-21 at 17:16.
Old 2006-07-21, 04:11   Link #26
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan
French anime magazines are just now starting to talk about Haruhi. Of course, they're praising the series (who couldn't?), and begging for a license, so we can only hope they'll be heard by some company, although it would still surprise me.
Don't forget Katapan that just On Animeland that they talk about Haruhi
No Over Magazine or Issues talk about Haruhi T_T

For The Overall Average
It's difficult To Evaluate

Animation Quality: 10 - KyoAni made a Good Work of This. Even If Shakugan Of Shana and Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu looks a little similar (because of the Haruhi/Shana), Everything is perfect, even if little problem with animation sometimes (The Battle With The Giant Bug and the problem of animation). Good Job KyoAni so.

Voice Actors: 10 - Every Voice are good to hear, Everything correct on here... Haruhi voice is good, Thanks to Aya Hirano! My Godness of Music and Seiyuu *_*. Mikuru for the sensibility, Yuki for the fun and for the love, Itsuki for the Talk, Kyon for All, Tsuruya-san for the Laught and the Joy, Imotou for *_* etc... (Asakura, Taniguchi etc...)

Script: 10 - Perfect. Even if Everyone complaining about the Order, I Think that Random Order is more Interesting... Because they follow a logic line of question... Because for example... If Nagato tells Kyon that she is an Alien and the Episode 7 shows her Aliens Skills, the Next Episode talk about Mikuru and the Time Travelers because before she says Confidential Information etc... And because the more Important... The Anime name is Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu, they only have 6 Episodes Of Yuutsu, the rest is the rest... And show the 6 Yuutsu in the Order and the rest on the logical order... The Anime name will not be Haruhi No Yuutsu but something like Suzumiya Haruhi No Bouken etc... I Think this order is correct and create some different feeling to appreciate it

Adaptation from Novels: 10 - The best novel adaptation I have ever seen in my entire life. Movie, play, tv show or anything. Books always tend to get the screwed in translation. Maybe I Will never be able to found it on my Fnac or Virgin Shop... But I Hope that someday, this Novel will come Out on France... it's more interesting to read it than boring Novel of School :/

Editing: 10 - 2 Differents Ending That Made 2 différents Paths. Haruhi Path (Episode aired on the order on TV) and Kyon Path (When he getting wrong of Haruhi). The 2 Paths are cool and excellent but... I'm so sad that Real Last Episode finish on the Winter with Haruhi smile ... want Saison 2...

Overall: 10 - The first Anime who random a lot of Genre I never seen... Phycological, Love, Romance, Life, Humor, Fun, Science etc... Everyone must see this anime, just one Episode... Even If Episode 1 create Good and Bad Feeling (Like Or Dislike because Haruhi Amateur Movie...)... Don't stop on Episode 1! Just Continue!
Old 2006-07-21, 04:24   Link #27
Shredder

Quote:
The reason why people are not understanding this show now, is because they watched the show after it has finished. Which is really a pity.
Nothing to understand. It's a cartoon, not quantum physics. Discussion doesn't necessarily reveal anything that may not actually be there. Fast forward is legitimate if a series can't manage to prevent it--for example showing people reading books and playing board games. There's voyeurism and reality TV for that. School Rumble's as good but more fun by a lot. 10 on that, but not for this.

Ep 1 was a farce. If ppl hear explanation and analysis time after time and are still unconvinced, maybe it really is objectively no good. Of course, fanaticism doesn't lend itself to objectivity.
Old 2006-07-21, 04:33   Link #28
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Anime are cartoons, but more than just regular cartoons. But since you take the show as just a cartoon, there's no need for discussions I guess.

Its the same as people who look at pieces of art and think of it as random waste of paint/ink.

Old 2006-07-21, 04:41   Link #29
Shredder

Quote:
Its the same as people who look at pieces of art and think of it as random waste of paint/ink.
Well you hit the nail on the head there. Japan should be more concerned about its economy and how much activity thereof anime can generate. In other words, how much money can series pull in. IMO that is the ultimate rating for series, art, music or whatever. Dunno how much money this series has managed to stir up, but if it's a whole lot then kudos. The number of pages flipped per minute of a character is pure trivia aside from its value in drawing fans and yen/dollars.

So regardless of explanations and analyses, if ep1 got poor ratings and did not satisfy advertisers and marketers, in the eyes of ppl who wield power it would be a failure. In the USA this leads to quick cancellations of series.

Dunno, I don't want to draw this off track but I'm not much of an artsy fartsy person myself. Anime should make people happy and generate money. Trivialities are of little meaning. Anime is putting food into some people's mouths, after all. It's late...I may not make sense, it happens
Old 2006-07-21, 04:50   Link #30
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Anime is one of Japan's largest economic engines and is highly regarded.

And yes Haruhi generated alot of cash.

The CDs are only able to reach 5th place in rankings, or any other rank, because there are not enough CD's for that week to be sold. Meaning they didn't expect to sell so many and didn't produce enough. Until now the CDs are still being out of stock.

Importantly this anime is not just a cartoon, it is a story and it originates from a set of novels.

Right now these novels are topping sales and wanted lists over Da Vinci code and Harry Potter in Japan and parts of East/South East Asia.

This show is a story and has something to tell us. It isn't just a random cartoon.

Cartoons and Anime are viewed differently by the West and the East. This show is very oriented for Asians and I don't expect too much from Westerners.

Old 2006-07-21, 15:34   Link #31
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm beginning to wonder why Shredder is even here. If you don't like it, stop harassing the people who do. If you didn't get the subtlety of the show, then move on. No one's forcing you to watch it.
Old 2006-07-21, 17:14   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm tossing the show into my mental slot for important stories I want to remember (along with some of Twain and Vonnegut's stuff, Tolkien, some literature classics, several sci-fi authors, and the like). The combination of sci-fi, romance, and archetype tweaks, along with the production values just made this puppy dance.
Old 2006-07-21, 17:31   Link #33
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm tossing the show into my mental slot for important stories I want to remember (along with some of Twain and Vonnegut's stuff, Tolkien, some literature classics, several sci-fi authors, and the like). The combination of sci-fi, romance, and archetype tweaks, along with the production values just made this puppy dance.
Can you really fit more into your mental slot, old man?

Ahem. Just kidding.. : p I'm not of the opinion that SuzuHaru is a masterpiece of any sort, maybe most probably because warps on logic often irk me. I find it very enjoyable though; and the novel is one of the top things I look forward to read.
Old 2006-07-21, 20:49   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I didn't say "masterpiece" ... though it might be one in the anime realm. But I class it alongside of Hitchhiker's Guide, Slaughterhouse Five, or Connecticut Yankee in terms of concepts explored, however subtle.

And some folks just think because they don't understand something, it isn't very good. Or they feel the need to trash something because they're insecure about not getting it. Viewing everything strictly in terms of money and considering art as transient worthlessness is a pretty sad way to view the world. Anime *is* all about the money and earnings at the base of it.... sometimes art rises up out of the formulaic cycle.

"Ep 1 was a farce. If ppl hear explanation and analysis time after time and are still unconvinced, maybe it really is objectively no good."

Yes, it was a farce but not in the way I think you thought. And... it may be that objectively, those people are really that dim. Much of the human race is really not very bright or at least lazy about thinking.
Old 2006-07-21, 22:23   Link #35
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
I'm beginning to wonder why Shredder is even here. If you don't like it, stop harassing the people who do. If you didn't get the subtlety of the show, then move on. No one's forcing you to watch it.
I think shredder has the right to voice his opinions even though they go against the grain. He's also even stated that he enjoyed the show. There have been far worse that have graced this subforum.
Old 2006-07-21, 22:33   Link #36
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I don't mind different opinions, it's the "I'm right and you're an idiot if you don't think so" attitude that ticks me off.
Old 2006-07-21, 22:48   Link #37
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
it change my life! i used to have a great social life, now i'am now a weedy, lonely, sunlight deprivied admin for a suzumiya haruhi novel translation group.

never been happier. thankyou Haruhi-sama!

*lick her shoes*

Old 2006-07-21, 23:12   Link #38
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
Well you hit the nail on the head there. Japan should be more concerned about its economy and how much activity thereof anime can generate. In other words, how much money can series pull in. IMO that is the ultimate rating for series, art, music or whatever. Dunno how much money this series has managed to stir up, but if it's a whole lot then kudos. The number of pages flipped per minute of a character is pure trivia aside from its value in drawing fans and yen/dollars.

So regardless of explanations and analyses, if ep1 got poor ratings and did not satisfy advertisers and marketers, in the eyes of ppl who wield power it would be a failure. In the USA this leads to quick cancellations of series.

Dunno, I don't want to draw this off track but I'm not much of an artsy fartsy person myself. Anime should make people happy and generate money. Trivialities are of little meaning. Anime is putting food into some people's mouths, after all. It's late...I may not make sense, it happens
Nice... if they followed your line of thinking there would be nothing but Gundam and harem shows for the Japanese viewers to watch. And shows that requires the auidence to think, would be fewer and far inbetween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
it change my life! i used to have a great social life, now i'am now a weedy, lonely, sunlight deprivied admin for a suzumiya haruhi novel translation group.

never been happier. thankyou Haruhi-sama!

*lick her shoes*

Well said man! Have a cookie!
Old 2006-07-21, 23:46   Link #39
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
aww well its the best series there is for this century for representing our current youth
Old 2006-07-22, 00:32   Link #40
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is definitely one of my absolute favourite anime right now. Very few can compare to it, and I'd say it's number two on my all-time favourites list (number one is CCS, which has yet to be dethroned).

However, I'm also of the opinion that a lot of the "WATCH THIS NOW" screaming is, well, overdone. When we get people arguing about the fandom rather than the show, when I see fans of the show saying that those who honestly didn't like it are somehow inferior, when I'm getting a backlash simply because I love the show even when I haven't said anything about getting others to watch it, then I think it's time to take several steps back and try to look at it in perspective.

It's an anime. It's a cartoon. It's an animated series about a group of people, and it tries to tell a story and tell it in an interesting manner. The creators both love the story that they're telling and want to spread it to the world, and expect some sort of return on their investment. One way of making the story interesting is by making people think, and this is what SHnY tries to do.

Whether it succeeds is up to the viewer. I certainly believe that it made me think, and it changed my viewpoint on the world. But I do not believe that everyone else thinks and feels the same way I do, and I definitely do not believe that just because they don't that they are somehow inferior.

I really must admit to utter confusion about all the yelling back and forth about liking/not liking the show. If you like it (as I do), fine. If you don't, also fine. Discussion comes about when like or dislike or indifference is based on some aspect of the show that can be broken down into objective parts and rationally spoken of. Going "I like it and so should you" and "I don't like it and neither should you" isn't discussion, it's a flaming row.

EDIT: Having said that, I'm also equally as confused about the sort of people who follow a show or its discussion forum/thread entirely to say that they don't like it, repeatedly and at length, and above all refuse to change their minds no matter what is said.

I'm also confused by the broad sweeping generalizations ("If you don't like show X, then you're Y" or "If you like show A, then you're B", where Y and B are negative) that happen far too often on these forums.

I'm confused by a lot of things.
Closed Thread