AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 41.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 41.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-06-09, 18:26   Link #61
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Mugino's power converts electrons into unstable destructive matter that is in a state between particles and waves. That's the official description of it (or as close as I can remember off the top of my head).

Also I loved Shinobu's loss. That's one of my favorite moments of the arc, it's rare for this franchise to give a character a bad end like that so when it happens it hits so hard.

Quote:
Probably not, they'll stick to pills now; rule of thumb is that the less discrepancies there are the better.
A guy can dream can't he?
Old 2013-06-09, 18:38   Link #62
freeofgreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Finally had time to watch the episode and just wow. That was so well done. Mugino was just perfect. I have waited so long to see her animated and that was just so well done. The fight was animated so perfectly as well, it was gorgeous.
Me too, been waiting about 2 years to see Mugino animated and I can saftely say it was worth the wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
My only minor gripe is that Takitsubo used pills instead of a powder. It just doesn't have the same "drug-addict" look to it. Hopefully Index III does it properly.

Overall 10/10 and I can't wait for the next one.
I don't think the whole pill/powder thing is that big of a deal. People can be addicted to pills just as easily as powder. And I feel as though it was less of a censorship thing and more of it just being easier to animate.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:29   Link #63
leukrota

I also don't see the problem with the drug change.

She was munching the tablets. It's almost the same effect as licking powder.

If it had been sniffing powder then there would be a relevant difference, but that didn't happen even in the manga.

Furthermore, there's little sense in leaving it as a powder if it isn't going to be sniffed or injected.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 06:22   Link #64
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Aaaaah! Mikoto is just SO AWESOME! Pure action isn't my thing, but it's fine from time to time.
I'm (surprisingly) worried about Shinobu, is she going to be alright?
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 07:00   Link #65
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
It would make sense if Mugino's power has something to do with the weak nuclear force, as it and electromagnetism have been unified in the electro-weak theory.

That would explain why Mugino and Mikoto are able to bend each others beams.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 11:43   Link #66
zaeraal

Really liked the episode, was better than previous one in my opinion.
It finally felt like Mikoto is facing a real oponent, not the ussual "I am holding back, because MORALS!!".
They definitely spent a lot of budget on those battle scenes.

Considering how much screentime Shinobu got and they even zoomed on her face as she was dragged away, it's possible they will save her later.
Though I can't really see this as anyone else than Mikoto again, because the others have no connection to her.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 12:35   Link #67
R.LocK
My turn

Mugino was totally awesome.
Takitsubo using her ability... It's nondescript. Yeah.
Kinuhata being indifferent was pretty refreshing. Also, like her verbal tic.
And damn it. Just how much money did they invent int animating Mikoto? It was fantastic.
All in all, good action.
Oh yeah, Nunotaba. I like her more in anime. Maybe because it's easier to sympathize with her when she doesn't have dead-fish-eyes?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-06-10 at 17:10. Reason: edited out reply to removed post
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 12:42   Link #68
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I swear, Mikoto gets cooler and cooler with every episode. I'm practically fangirling over her by now. So badass~<3
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 19:50   Link #69
Raisingfalcon
Class minus 13

Mugino gets more badass each episodes. The way she used her shield by moving just one finger, ahhh that was unsually satisfying to watch xD

Also Rikuo stare with the body crystal, holy crap that looked amazing. But best moment had to be the scientist girl(name i keep forgeting) and Saiai. Offense armor, nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
I don't think the whole pill/powder thing is that big of a deal. People can be addicted to pills just as easily as powder. And I feel as though it was less of a censorship thing and more of it just being easier to animate.
It also dosent bother me the slightest. Its the effect that matters after all.
Old 2013-06-10, 21:00   Link #70
Squire James

The ranking system among Level 5's seems to be as much versatility than raw power. Mugino's powers look more destructive, but aside from that shield trick she seems to lack further abilities. Of course, she might show more next episode.

Mikoto, on the other hand, is like a less mature version of Magneto. She has barely used even half the powers we KNOW she has, much less any "power stunts" this encounter may bring out of her.

Accelerator is clearly more versatile still, being able to use his power as a near-invincible defense and near-irresistible attack at the same time! While I will not post spoilers about the other Level 5's, there's nothing I know about them that conflicts with my "versatility" theory (#5 is the weakness in the theory... her power seems awfully versatile but perhaps she hasn't been taking much advantage of it so her ranking is artificially low).
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 01:40   Link #71
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
So this is the science side.
Do you guys think Mugino beat enemies Touma already defeated in Railgun's timeline?
It makes me wonder Touma's fights are rather boring.

This is just too painful to watch. Mikoto and Shinobu, what will become of them?
in index season 1, i enjoyed his fights allot. until season 2 came it became quite boring in my opinion. back on topic: i was literally on the edge of my chair with this exciting episode(my only hope is that j.c. staff saves enough material from the index movie to help make index season 3 improve like what they did with railgun S).
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:13   Link #72
ReddyRedWolf

With Mugino spoiling for a fight to prove she is better than Number 3 Mikoto Misaka there1` is an interesting contrast between the known Level 5's.

Accelerator doesn't care of rankings as he is already Number 1 but somebody tells him his issues would go away if he becomes Level 6. He want people to be so afraid that the mere thought of resistance wouldn't cross their minds.

Mikoto got to where she is as a hard worker. Level 0's and those espers beneath her level think she is unrealistically optimistic. She doesn't get the competitive feel with fellow Level 5s but when it comes to Touma she can't help but feel as the unwanted rival. That is besides she is attracted to Touma as he raised a flag as no stranger before stepped up to protect her from thugs. Though she can beat the crap off them it is the thought that counts.

Misaki well she has her own rivalry with Mikoto which Mikoto can care less. It is those knockers that irritate Mikoto though.

Which brings us to Mugino Number 4 of the Level 5s. Not only does she want to prove she is better than Number 3 Mikoto Misaka she probably wants to eliminate her to be higher in the ranks.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 17:26   Link #73
Raisingfalcon
Class minus 13

Mugino dosent really care about rankings. She's just excited that the opponent she needs to face is the 3rd level 5 and its also her job to take her out. She's done some pretty boring work as of late and shes just excited to have a worthy match for a change.
Old 2013-06-11, 20:18   Link #74
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
With Mugino spoiling for a fight to prove she is better than Number 3 Mikoto Misaka there1` is an interesting contrast between the known Level 5's.
Which brings us to Mugino Number 4 of the Level 5s. Not only does she want to prove she is better than Number 3 Mikoto Misaka she probably wants to eliminate her to be higher in the ranks.
Why she has to prove that she is stronger anyway?

It's clear from this ep. that her normal 'Meltdown' attack is more powerful than Mikoto strongest attack, 'Railgun'.

Only Mikoto's ability has wider range of usage as we saw from the past eps. and the first season.
Old 2013-06-11, 20:19   Link #75
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Why she has to prove that she is stronger anyway?

It's clear from this ep. that her normal 'Meltdown' attack is more powerful than Mikoto strongest attack, 'Railgun'.
because she is rank #4 not #3, 2 or 1.

it is call pride

and Railgun is not Mikoto's strongest attack just the one she is most known for.
Old 2013-06-11, 22:21   Link #76
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because she is rank #4 not #3, 2 or 1.

it is call pride

and Railgun is not Mikoto's strongest attack just the one she is most known for.
Pride for what? Maybe the ranking elevates their social status in Academy City. Outside the city, they are nobody.

Mikoto is most known for attack is what she likes to displayed in the public. It's why she gives up after failed against Accelerator. Thus, she punishes hijackers as Magneto and punishes Kuroko as Thor. Railgun is also her nickname. It's weird for her to seal her killer skill.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 23:41   Link #77
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think a point is that Mikoto is still not trying to kill. Her railgun is essentially a lethal weapon. We've only see her use it to destroy property and intimidate people.

The only exception I can think of where Mikoto really tried to target an actual person with her railgun is Accelerator, and maybe Touma (only after she discovered he is immune to it).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 10:01   Link #78
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I feel somewhat uneasy that Mugino faced her comrades with such compassion, only to bare her fangs as she approaches her prey. That's the Meltdowner for you!

Although was it truly compassion or was it a euphemism for "get out of here since you'll just be getting in my way"?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 12:54   Link #79
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Pride for what? Maybe the ranking elevates their social status in Academy City. Outside the city, they are nobody.
Pride as one of only 7 level level 5 Esper in the entire world. Pride as one of the most powerful humans in existence.

Outside Academy City, government and corporations would be throwing bags of gold at the levels 5 to come work for them.
Old 2013-06-12, 13:12   Link #80
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

Mikoto is most known for attack is what she likes to displayed in the public. It's why she gives up after failed against Accelerator. Thus, she punishes hijackers as Magneto and punishes Kuroko as Thor. Railgun is also her nickname. It's weird for her to seal her killer skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I think a point is that Mikoto is still not trying to kill. Her railgun is essentially a lethal weapon. We've only see her use it to destroy property and intimidate people.

The only exception I can think of where Mikoto really tried to target an actual person with her railgun is Accelerator, and maybe Touma (only after she discovered he is immune to it).
Another issue that Mikoto faces is the fact that she can't seem to be moving about when she uses her Railgun. We've seen her falling straight down and standing stationary, but it seems she can't move about to use it.

Which would be suicide against Meltdowner, who doesn't have this same restriction, and whose abilities would eat right through the Railgun coin.

Tags
bad ass, miko-chan's plot armor, spider-mikoto