AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-20, 08:10   Link #961
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I just realized some of the details regarding mage rankings in my head have become blurred (And go figure which might come from some fiction or my own delusions), so i thought to verify with the more 'devoted' users here

Firstly, the ability for independent flight. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it required a mage ranked A or above to sustain that, yes ? On that note, how frequent was it for a mage to be powerful enough to rank A+ ? I think i vaguely recall somewhere being mentioned that approximately one in hundred mages has the capability to rank A or above, but it might be just me being delusional).

This would obviously also mean that all the combat/operations personnel in airforces and navy would be ranked A or above. (Or does navy aim even higher than that ?). On that note, RF6 aside, Nanoha was part of the air forces, distinguished by her white-blue uniform, right? (Ground forces having the brown uniform the rest of RF6 wear, and navy having the blueish-gray outfits). Why did fate wear the brown uniform as well for that matter, instead of her enforcer black one ? (unless to 'fit in' better - i assume it isn't an obligation, seeing Nanoha kept her white/blue one).

Thanks
Old 2008-10-20, 08:28   Link #962
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I just realized some of the details regarding mage rankings in my head have become blurred (And go figure which might come from some fiction or my own delusions), so i thought to verify with the more 'devoted' users here

Firstly, the ability for independent flight. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it required a mage ranked A or above to sustain that, yes ? On that note, how frequent was it for a mage to be powerful enough to rank A+ ? I think i vaguely recall somewhere being mentioned that approximately one in hundred mages has the capability to rank A or above, but it might be just me being delusional).

This would obviously also mean that all the combat/operations personnel in airforces and navy would be ranked A or above. (Or does navy aim even higher than that ?).
Not exactly, as Shari says, being A-rank merely gives you the means to start flight training without going through an undefined period of service in the Ground Forces. It has no relation with anyone needing to be a certain mage rank to be able to fly. This is supported by the DVD booklets stating the B-rank is an impassable wall for many mages, despite a high amount of cannon fodder aerial mages in both anime and manga.

High innate mage ranks just gives you a free pass to flight training, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
On that note, RF6 aside, Nanoha was part of the air forces, distinguished by her white-blue uniform, right? (Ground forces having the brown uniform the rest of RF6 wear, and navy having the blueish-gray outfits). Why did fate wear the brown uniform as well for that matter, instead of her enforcer black one ? (unless to 'fit in' better - i assume it isn't an obligation, seeing Nanoha kept her white/blue one).

Thanks
Nanoha did wear her brown uniform, only when she trains the forwards does she wear her Air Force uniform, probably because its easier to move in, or she's more used to it (in fact, Hayate says just that in episode 3) on every formal occasion she has worn her Ground Forces uniform.

Fate, with her uniform not being designed for either flight nor ease of training anyway, never had a reason to wear her Enforcer uniform (a shame really, black suits Fate so much better then brown).
Old 2008-10-20, 08:45   Link #963
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I see, thanks for the quick explanations. I knew i was mixing something up in my mind
Old 2008-10-20, 09:25   Link #964
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Another thing i am curious (and have forgotten if it ever was mentioned) about - how much official authority does the saint belkan church hold, if any ? (Aside of Carim being a member of TSAB's board of directors).

Same regarding the authority Admirals have. To best of my knowledge, and Admiral is the highest rank a TSAB member can achieve. From who do they take orders from, and what is the extent of independent action they can carry out ?

Same questions regarding inspectors - (Acous for example) - as far as i can tell, they take orders from no one and are pretty much cleared for independent action ?
Old 2008-10-20, 11:18   Link #965
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, on the first part, Belka has a few regions on Mid that they govern, possibly on other worlds as well, but in overall authority I'd say the TSAB is superior. In terms of influence, Belka is known to be the most wide-spread and popular religion, spanning around all the known dimensional worlds.

The Admirals are among the highest ranking officials, we were never shown whom they were taking orders from though. The brains are a possibility, though seeing how they had to hide behind the screen that is questionable. There probably is another form of government present... but I can't give a final answer on this.

Inspectors like Acous takes orders from the intelligence division, which is linked to the TSAB chain of command. They can take more individual actions, or at least have more freedom to move around, but I doubt they're James Bonds with a license to cause mass-chaos and swipe it under the table.
Old 2008-10-28, 11:57   Link #966
xavier12336

One thing I'm curious is that does Yuuno still holds a position in any organisation such TSAB etc. And is Chrono, being an admiral, holds greater authority than Hayate or they on par? Just wanted to make sure xD
Old 2008-10-28, 12:03   Link #967
Tormenk

1.Yuuno works in the TSAB as the librarian of the Infinity Library. His job includes managing the TSAB's database (not sure if IF==database), and his position is credited as an civilian collabrator.

2. Not too sure about Hayate's current rank but Chrono has outranked her regardless in his position of Admiral, commanding part of the TSAB's navel fleet.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2008-10-28, 12:08   Link #968
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

I'm pretty sure Hayate is a Brigadier General. Not sure where I heard that though, so it could have been in a fanfic. Either way, I don't know enough about military command structures to know which actually has more authority, though my guess is that Chrono outranks Hayate.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-10-28, 12:08   Link #969
xavier12336

Thanks for clearing my doubts but i have another question. Since Yuuno is part of the TSAB, compare to Nanoha and Fate, does he has greater authority and being a mage, what is his rank?
Old 2008-10-28, 12:15   Link #970
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Yuuno would have very little, if any, formal authority in the TSAB beyond his role as the head of the infinity library. Basically he runs the library but beyond that he can't give anyone any orders.

As to Yuuno's rank... well Yuuno is only in pitched combat a few times in A's and never in StrikerS, so I don't think we've gotten a real measure of his capabilities. Nonetheless, he was able to block hits from Vita in melee (though I should note that Vita was conserving cartridges and so the hits Yuuno was taking were most likely a good bit weaker than the one that put Nanoha down for the count) and his Struggle Bind was useful against the Viral Defense Program in the climax. So I guess you could argue that Yuuno is either a very powerful defender or a mostly useless male in a magical girl show. I personally go with the first assumption and place his A's rank around AAA or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if Yuuno had attained S rank sometime in the ten years since then.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-10-28, 12:21   Link #971
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Hayate is a Lieutenant Colonel, in the events of StrikerS at least. Anything higher than that is where fanon, and perhaps any possible season 4, comes in.

BetrayerS promoted her to a General (Brigadier IIRC), but then again that fanon, not canon.

Oh, and btw, Nanohawiki states Yuuno's rank to be Composite A.

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2008-10-28 at 12:36. Reason: Adds Yuuno's rank =3
Old 2008-10-28, 12:24   Link #972
xavier12336

Season 4? I thought the latest development is that the movie is coming out? Or i am too far behind time T.T
Old 2008-10-28, 12:25   Link #973
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier12336 View Post
Season 4? I thought the latest development is that the movie is coming out? Or i am too far behind time T.T
Haha, note "possible", as in if there is a season 4 .

Signature by liro
Old 2008-10-28, 12:29   Link #974
xavier12336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Haha, note "possible", as in if there is a season 4 .
I see. Is there any hint or speculation about season 4 btw?
Old 2008-10-28, 12:47   Link #975
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Hayate is a Lieutenant Colonel, in the events of StrikerS at least. Anything higher than that is where fanon, and perhaps any possible season 4, comes in.

BetrayerS promoted her to a General (Brigadier IIRC), but then again that fanon, not canon.

Oh, and btw, Nanohawiki states Yuuno's rank to be Composite A.
It's hard to see a fourth season based on BetrayerS but still...
Old 2008-10-28, 13:19   Link #976
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Composite A, huh? Any idea what they mean by composite?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-10-28, 13:30   Link #977
xavier12336

Oh, what it means Betrayers? Another arc or series?
Old 2008-10-28, 13:31   Link #978
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A fancomic, it shouldn't be taken as official.
Old 2008-10-28, 13:45   Link #979
xavier12336

A fancomic? I see. Is the information inside reliable or is it just based on the fan opinion?
Old 2008-10-28, 13:52   Link #980
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

purely fanbased, no official support whatsoever.
Closed Thread