AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 15:42   Link #161
Valky
Radioactive

What's so good about One Piece? That's a tough question if I have to pick since I love everything about One Piece. I love the story, it's delivered really well and definitely shows Oda's superiority in story telling compared to other shounen manga's. The drawings are definitely attracting and suit the story so much. The characters are loveable especially the Mugiwara crews, there are none that I dislike even a little bit. Seriously, how could you hate Luffy, Zorro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky and Brook?

One Piece is definitely a manga that keeps me interested and never let me feel bored, not even once since I read the manga from the first time.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 02:18   Link #162
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

In case anyone is still asking that question to themselves as they start the series, One Piece is a very unique series for a shonen. It has all the good qualities of a shonen, but avoids the drawbacks by taking a different approach.

The strength of One Piece is its characters. It's hard to consider anyone a true cardboard cutout. More importantly, Oda spends an insane amount of time developing his characters and going through all the necessary exposition. The result is that the first 70 episodes or so are very slow. While you have a couple strings of good arcs here and there (Arlong Park), there are still around 50 episodes or so that are nothing special. They're funny and all that jazz, but there really isn't too much to grab your attention until the Alabasta arc in my opinion. But this is all a worthy time sink, though, as it gets you invested into the characters.

A lot of people talk about how the story is so good, but I will continue to emphasize the characters. Why? Because the characters drive the story. While it may seem like the story advances in a whimsical, almost random, fashion, this is all because of the fickle nature of the captain, Luffy. We're taken along the ride for every little whim he has, and the journey is wonderful. Since we've taken the time to really get to know the entire crew in the beginning, the low points in the stories are extremely heart-wrenching while the moments of triumph and victory are as uplifting as it gets. The setting allows for literally anything to happen. It's literally: Here's a world, and Luffy is going to take a random path all the way around the world with a crew of companions that he picks up along the way. Throughout the journey, the possibilities are endless.

And that is another point that I makes this show just absolutely wonderful. Anything is possible. Oda uses this world as an outlet for all of his -- and our -- childhood dreams. Everything we imagined and wished for from the bottom of our hearts can happen in this world, even if it's a world driven by logic and reality. He finds a way to fit them in, and this makes this series a great watch for both kids and adults. For the older folk like myself, it's an escape back to our childhood overrun with nostalgia. For the kids, I'm sure it's just an absolute blast that lets their imaginations run wild.

I think that pretty much sums up why I think the series is good. The characters are complete and amazing, which in turn leads to a well-developed story that's based on their personalities and actions. Once it really gets going, we're all so invested in everyone involved that it ends up being an emotional roller coaster bursting with imagination. Unfortunately, it takes a bit for everything to get chugging along, but it's well worth the time for anyone on the fence. While the series isn't for everyone, it's damn near close.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 02:28   Link #163
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Out of the three famous/popular shonens ( Naruto, Bleach, One piece) I like one piece the best. Here is why:

First i want to say Naruto first 100 episodes and bleach first 60 episodes were very good and original. Also I think overall Naruto probably has a better story line than One piece. And Bleach well after that 60 episodes ( for me personally) fell flat. Too much fighting not enough story.

One piece is however my favorite. Mainly because i feel although maybe the story line is not as good as Naruto, the story telling is much better. Also Naruto focuses mainly on Naruto and story revolves mainly around his development ( as the name of the anime says). However one piece is not about one character. One piece it is " The straw hat pirates" and characters in each arc are given their own fair share of storyline and character development. It is much harder to get bored of One piece since it is not focused one character. Plus imo all of " Straw hat pirates" have their own unique characteristics which are very fun.

Another reason as why i would pick One piece over the other two is because the "goosebumps" you get from the series is a lot more than the other two. There are many epic ( and i mean EPIC ) scenes in the anime that the other two just lack comparatively ( Naruto) or overuse to the point of getting boring as hell due to repetition ( Bleach). One piece imo has found a good balance in that regard. Although i think IMO Oda could add a bit more sad moments to the anime i am not complaining as the anime has just reached the half way of it's story. One piece is one of those anime that can make you so sad that you end up crying or so happy that you might end up dancing/partying along with it ( A bit of exaggeration but hopefully you guys get the point i am trying to make).

Lastly, One of my main reasons of liking one piece is that it is just very long ( in a good way). We have way too many anime with like 13 to 26 episode seasons. I would like there to be an anime that actually develops the plot and characters gradually and slowly while not having much pointless/filler chapters/episodes in it. One piece has many episodes and Manga chapters and will probably continue for a very long time from now but i don't yet recall having gotten bored watching one piece when that wasn't the case with Naruto and Bleach.

Other Reasons to like one piece,

-Comedy
-Luffy
-Nami and Robbin

and least but not least,

GOMU GOMU NO FUUUUUZEN .
Old 2013-09-21, 18:16   Link #164
isamu99

OK guys, sell me on One Piece

Hi guys,

I have been contemplating giving One Piece a viewing. It won't be now, but I expect sometime maybe around end of October or so. Keep in mind I said *contemplating*, because I just don't know if I can swallow those ridiculous, zany and goofy character designs and art style.

I attempted to watch this show way back a few years ago on Cartoon Network and was extremely put off by both the character designs and the English dub. However, many people claim the story and plot more than make up for its shortcomings. Is this really true?

Basically I'm asking, from a serious skeptic, why should I give One Piece a chance? For reference, I love the DB and DBZ to death.
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 02:56   Link #165
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been contemplating giving One Piece a viewing. It won't be now, but I expect sometime maybe around end of October or so. Keep in mind I said *contemplating*, because I just don't know if I can swallow those ridiculous, zany and goofy character designs and art style.

I attempted to watch this show way back a few years ago on Cartoon Network and was extremely put off by both the character designs and the English dub. However, many people claim the story and plot more than make up for its shortcomings. Is this really true?

Basically I'm asking, from a serious skeptic, why should I give One Piece a chance? For reference, I love the DB and DBZ to death.
I have the same preconceptions as you (yeah the characters do look a bit goofy at first), until an anime vetaran I know who's very critical about anime was all praise for it. That was in early 2000 when I started on this series.

First, you have to give it a bit of time to build and at least watch until the protagonist assemble his first 4 crew members. Though within the first 20 episodes, after Zoro's backstory, it should already hint that One Piece has potentially a good story behind.

IMO, these are the strengths of One Piece:
1. extremely well-developed characters
2. very unique and creative world and a large world view (a mind-blowing world with its own rules)
3. things can get very epic in scale, there are many factions, and with each new arc, we learn more about this unique world
4. great humor in-between the serious stuff
5. can tug your heartstrings during the emotional stuff, both me and my wife teared up quite a number of times
6. great foreshadowing, many details which seem unimportant or useless connects the dots later; sometimes foreshadowing go across arcs.

Weaknesses:
1. they just passed the half-way point 3 years ago (with respect to our real-time); the recent arcs are increasingly longer and can feel slower, but I suspect it's just going for a very strong build-up later
2. fights are sometimes interesting but generally they are no-brainer as if they are tailored for kids.
3. a lot of distinct traits of the show are meant for kids (like the fighting moves, how side characters have a cartoonish way of speaking, etc.), though the story is grand enough to be for all ages (and yet not overly deep such that younger audience can't follow)
4. initially, nobody (in the present) seems to die, only people in flashbacks die, but later, some important characters do die (so this more like a minus turned to a plus for me)

I think the weaknesses are very minor compared to the strengths, but I just listed them anyway.

For Shounen, Naruto has comparatively more interesting fights and training arcs compared to One Piece (in fact OP has only one significant training arc to date). However, One Piece wins in story-telling, characters (you really get attached to a number of them), world-building, and does a great job in tugging one's heartstrings every now and then. It also has a much more coherent story-line (a lot of things seem to be well-planned and linked) compared to stuff like Bleach and Fairytail.

My 2 cents.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 03:39   Link #166
isamu99

Interesting....I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

For the record, it took a while for Dragon Ball and DBZ to grow on me but I ended loving it to bits. DBZ in particular is probably my favorite anime of all time.
Old 2013-09-22, 18:21   Link #167
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Hi guys,

Do yourself a favor and check out One Piece. If you don't end up liking it, then that's that. It's your opinion, after all. But from my personal perspective, the DragonBall series used to be my favorite manga/anime, but One Piece has surpassed it in all aspects by a big margin. It's now my all-time favorite manga series, and there's still a long way to go until it's finished.
Old 2013-09-23, 03:50   Link #168
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I think the main strength of one piece compared to other shonen series is how tightly written the story itself is. One piece unlike most series seems to be written with a relatively thought out line. Which means you rarely encounter plot holes and lots of events are foreshadowed even hundreds of chapters/episodes before they play out. This also means that the series avoids arcs that wind up going nowhere (naruto, dgrayman) or falls into the trap of including things just for the sake of including them (Bleach).

The story has a literary quality that most other shonen manga doesn't exhibit. The world is incredibly imaginative, characters are incredibly well developed, and the story is able to touch on serious issues without taking itself too seriously. Most importantly One piece the plot isn't just advanced by the growth of the main character. The events within the story play a central role in driving the plot.
Old 2013-09-23, 05:03   Link #169
ri0

Quote:
Hi guys,

You probably already know, that initially the story was about Luffy wanting to find One Piece and becoming the Pirate King.
But One Piece would have been already completely narrated if the story was so simple. The author accomplished to fill the original small frame with dense story lines, ludicrous characters and artistic as well as cultural reminiscences. Luffy’s goal is still to become Pirate King, but Oda took the manga further. With the aging of the mangaka and his readers, One Piece became a socio-critical and philosophical serial novel.
It’s obvious that Oda takes his inspiration from the Greeks as well as rappers or incidents from the present. Topics like racism or slavery place themselves somewhere between Roman History and the American Civil War. His drawings call forth associations, which far exceed manga tales and are somewhat a moral compass for his readers. Victims of a killer gas cloud look like bodies from Hiroshima and the dresses of a gaol’s guards resemble SS-Uniforms.

It’s true that Oda’s art work is plain. Indeed, he draws island, cities, or other scenes with so much detail, getting inspiration from the Italian Renaissance or Neuschwanstein. However the characters, or to be more specific, their facial expressions, are less differentiated. When Luffy is upset, small pupils and two anger streaks are sufficient. Oda stated that he was inspired by Tom and Jerry: Emotions of his characters don’t have to be realistic but visible. In any case, I don't care much about facial expressions because when the moments are important they are drawn perfectly.
Talking about art work: Oda has the craziest sense of fashion - ever. Inexplicably, the character's designs work, although they sometimes look like Oda just put all the fashion magazines in his reach into a giant mixer and extracted the most awfully looking ones.

The manga is simply awesome reagarding originality, humor (conversations between Luffy’s crew members and their interactions with other people are sooo funny), the craziest fore-shadowing (people being mentioned two years before ever appearing), immense build-ups and nearly no plot holes. What most people are underestimating, because of the so-called goofy characters, are the serious and adult topics One Piece addresses. In my eyes, it's the most adult one among the Great Three. Furthermore, it also has intense emotional moments which got me crying not only once.
Also, it's awesome, how Oda manages to give each crew member enough time to shine and bestow every member with such an unique personality, that every team constellation is simply awesome if the Straw Hats were to split up for some time. His story-telling is just off the charts.

I personally think that One Piece’s greatest merit is the fighting system, although it hasn’t much impact on my overall view of the manga, because it’s still one of my two all time favorites. I’d place it somewhere in the upper middle regarding fights. Definitely above Fairy Tail, where there is nearly no connection between the different powers, but at the same time light years away from HxH (But again, which manga could even dream of reaching that ).
You have some powers which interact, where others are just cool and it comes down to who gets beaten down first, mostly by using brute force. There are some really original powers like a guy who can implant Doors wherever he likes (similar to Knov’s Hide and Seek), one who is able to turn into a freaking giraffe and another who has an army hidden inside his body.
As you are a big fan of DB and DBZ I don’t think that the fighting system would be a problem for you, as that one is also really simple.

One thing to add: I only read the manga, so I can’t say anything about fillers or how well they converted Oda’s masterpiece into an anime.

Last edited by ri0; 2013-09-23 at 06:23.
ri0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 05:45   Link #170
Casshern

OP was awesome from the very beginning. When Luffy stabbed himself in the face I thought omg this kid is really stupid. I don't know If I can watch something so stupid. But my mind changed quickly when the Red Hair Pirates fought the bandits, especially the scene where Lucky Roo offed one of the bandits in cold blood, and the later part with the sea king.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 17:47   Link #171
isamu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
OP was awesome from the very beginning. When Luffy stabbed himself in the face I thought omg this kid is really stupid. I don't know If I can watch something so stupid. But my mind changed quickly when the Red Hair Pirates fought the bandits, especially the scene where Lucky Roo offed one of the bandits in cold blood, and the later part with the sea king.
Can you guys watch the spoilers? Jesus Christ...
Old 2013-09-27, 19:12   Link #172
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Can you guys watch the spoilers? Jesus Christ...
This is chapter 1 (of 722) he talks about. (Though the anime skipped these scenes at first and then later on added them in a flashback around episode 4 (of 613) I think)
So don't worry, nothing was spoilt to you yet. (aside from the examples of the powers some people have, but you won't see them coming until they appear, so it doesn't really spoil you anyway)
Old 2013-09-28, 19:35   Link #173
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
This is chapter 1 (of 722) he talks about. (Though the anime skipped these scenes at first and then later on added them in a flashback around episode 4 (of 613) I think)
So don't worry, nothing was spoilt to you yet. (aside from the examples of the powers some people have, but you won't see them coming until they appear, so it doesn't really spoil you anyway)
I wasn't sure about the powers, so I didn't write the user's name. Besides, aren't spoiler tags only necessary if scenes already appeared in the manga but didn't air on the anime just yet?
Old 2013-09-28, 21:46   Link #174
Blackbeard D. Kuma

This thread doesn't have "anime-only" in its title, so the discussion here isn't limited to anime-only viewers.
Old 2013-09-29, 02:31   Link #175
ri0

^
Ah yeah, you're right. But if it was, I'd still be able to post stuff, which already happened in the anime, right? The powers I was talking about must have appeared for sure...

This anime/manga-stuff and when to post what, already confused me back in my more active days and got me a lot of warnings cause, as a "manga only reader", I never knew what happened in the anime and what not

Last edited by ri0; 2013-09-29 at 04:01.
Old 2013-09-29, 09:36   Link #176
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Don't worry about it. If people are not caught up, then that's their problem. These threads encompass everything in the story unless told otherwise.
Old 2013-09-30, 00:53   Link #177
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Well... there IS the suggestion forum for such cases after all...
Old 2013-10-01, 18:55   Link #178
Casshern

When it comes to OP, no matter what anyone can say to sell it, as soon as they get to the first overtake moment they'll be hooked forever.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 07:01   Link #179
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
When it comes to OP, no matter what anyone can say to sell it, as soon as they get to the first overtake moment they'll be hooked forever.
You mean the first moment "Overtaken" plays? aka... Luffy crashing into the town that's under Buggy's seige at the end of episode 4?
(Yes, I know you really meant
Spoiler for THAT SCENE:
right?)
Old 2013-10-02, 21:38   Link #180
SeanQ

you know a story is good if it can make you cry for a ship ... one piece too good at hitting people in the heart