Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-27, 19:19   Link #32381
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Did they in any way, did something reprehensible? No. Then let them do what they like.
Yes.

~ snip snip ~

Quote:
Has anyone even bothered to check if he has family enshined there? And I don't mean just from World War II. There are soldiers enshined from well before that who died in the service of their Emperor.
His grandfather Nobusuke Kishi, who was once a Class A criminal suspect and served in the war cabinet, is there. If it's a personal visit, I guess he should make it clearer...because there'd be nothing wrong in this case.

==========

Seriously, just separate the war criminals from the shrine and everything should be fine...and do something about the museum while they're at it.

Last edited by Flower; 2013-12-27 at 21:48. Reason: No insulting those who disagree with you, please.
Old 2013-12-27, 19:26   Link #32382
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
India seeks possible U.S. tax violations as stand hardens in diplomat row
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BQ07120131227
Just disgusting. That's a spoiled brat's reaction by India, I say.

From what I read on this, the NYC attorney was aware of the illegal actions by that diplomat months before. The Indian diplomatic corps was already warned 5 months before the arrest and asked to sort things out internally. However, they did nothing and they continue supporting the spoiled princess just because she's from the upper class.

This comment at the end of the article says it all:

Quote:
I think America would have been more agreeable if the Indian diplomatic core apologized for her criminality and asked for her to be deported or expelled back to India. Would’ve happened the same day I warrant. But they play the victim card and cry relativism and a whole litany of sob-fest excuses… I still haven’t heard a single utterance of apology from the Indian side, unless it is to demand one from America.

As far as apologists for the Indian side, the only thing they can come up with is the cavity search; they don’t dare to broach the subject from the merits or facts of the case, but simply this one act that is unfortunately all too commonplace now. If one legal procedure abnegates all wrongdoing in the minds of so many then I fear for the future…
I agree with him: to hell with the apologists! She violated laws while on a foreign country's soil, the Indian diplomatic corps had 5 months to sort things out but did nothing. At some point, enough was enough. We can talk as much as we want about the cavity search, but that is standard procedure in NYC considering past history of crime over there. If India had balls to acknowledge the wrongdoings from their own person, they would have stripped the diplomat off her position and trialed her back home just like when that Russian diplomat was trialed back in Moscow for drunk driving causing death in Ottawa (2001-2002). Heck, that Russian diplomat served 4 years in a Russian prison and that was an example of settling things down well.
Old 2013-12-27, 19:39   Link #32383
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post

Archmage, you have some issues. People would call you a WUM (wind-up merchant) for continuously spouting loads of crap.
Kira, If you are personally offended about what I said and believed I have violated forum rules, you could call a Mod and delete my posts.

Otherwise, I have nothing to say if name calling is the best thing you could do for a rebuttal.
Old 2013-12-27, 20:38   Link #32384
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
To be honest, the current level of hatred Chinese have actually is far lower than 70's and 80s. That is when the direct survivors of the War are in control of the government. Now days, it is their sons & daughters, who didn't experience to massacre first hand/were toddlers when it happened. Someday, maybe it will fade into myths and legends generations later, but not right now.

So open hatred of Japan is actually a popular, and democratic opinion, not a CCP manipulation.
I find China's "hatred" for Japan to be a bit puzzling.

My grandparents suffered through the Holocaust and survived the concentration camps. There was absolute hatred for the Nazis, but my grandparents never spoke badly about Germany or the German people. I think that they had some mixed feelings about the Germans (and who wouldn't?), but it didn't manifest very strongly. My parents grew up with a hatred and anger for the Nazis, and a wariness about anti-Jewish sentiments, but they had no ill feelings toward the Germans.

What the Chinese endured at the hands of the Japanese soldiers was horrific. Even knowing a large extent of the atrocities that were committed by the Nazis in the Holocaust, I find what the Japanese did to be worthy of great outrage.

I get confused because of the difference in the way that the Chinese and the Jews processed things in the aftermath. The Jews, by and large, did not blame the country that gave rise to the forces that committed the atrocities. They blamed the regime and its leader. It seems as if the Chinese blamed and continue to blame the entire Japanese population. The anger isn't limited to those individuals who actually committed the atrocities, nor to the chain of command that allowed it to happen.

There are some differences in the ways that Germany and Japan attempted to "come clean" afterward - namely, Germany tried very hard, whereas Japan seems to have tried quietly sweeping things under the rug while admitting guilt in other ways (payments to China) - but I can't imagine that alone makes the difference. Why do the Chinese hold on to this event and vilify all of Japan over it?
Old 2013-12-27, 21:19   Link #32385
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Just disgusting. That's a spoiled brat's reaction by India, I say.

From what I read on this, the NYC attorney was aware of the illegal actions by that diplomat months before. The Indian diplomatic corps was already warned 5 months before the arrest and asked to sort things out internally. However, they did nothing and they continue supporting the spoiled princess just because she's from the upper class.

This comment at the end of the article says it all:

I agree with him: to hell with the apologists! She violated laws while on a foreign country's soil, the Indian diplomatic corps had 5 months to sort things out but did nothing. At some point, enough was enough. We can talk as much as we want about the cavity search, but that is standard procedure in NYC considering past history of crime over there. If India had balls to acknowledge the wrongdoings from their own person, they would have stripped the diplomat off her position and trialed her back home just like when that Russian diplomat was trialed back in Moscow for drunk driving causing death in Ottawa (2001-2002). Heck, that Russian diplomat served 4 years in a Russian prison and that was an example of settling things down well.
Then I ask you this, is that attorney really that stupid to let such a "minor" offense to ruin a diplomatic relation or the it's the majority opinion among US citizen that diplomatic relation between US and India is not important at all?

I mean, that deputy consul general might indeed has broke the law of US, but can't the attorney just propose to deport the consul general to the India government instead of arresting and strip-searching said diplomat like she is some kind of terrorist or drug dealer and effectively shaming her? There's a thing called status you know, and technically, she does still have some diplomatic immunity(although that doesn't apply in this case). Diplomats and Consul general break minor rules all the times(traffic lights, speed limit, etc.) and sometimes even major rules under diplomatic immunity, so I ask you this, what make this case so special that warrant an arrest and strip search? For the visa charge, it's not like her status is unclear, she's clearly still an official Deputy consul general. For the underpayment charge, they could just charge her with it without any real punishment just to deter people working from working there anymore(it's not like the consul general kidnap the underpaid worker or anything)
Old 2013-12-27, 21:23   Link #32386
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

My grandparents suffered through the Holocaust and survived the concentration camps. There was absolute hatred for the Nazis, but my grandparents never spoke badly about Germany or the German people. I think that they had some mixed feelings about the Germans (and who wouldn't?), but it didn't manifest very strongly. My parents grew up with a hatred and anger for the Nazis, and a wariness about anti-Jewish sentiments, but they had no ill feelings toward the Germans.

What the Chinese endured at the hands of the Japanese soldiers was horrific. Even knowing a large extent of the atrocities that were committed by the Nazis in the Holocaust, I find what the Japanese did to be worthy of great outrage.

I get confused because of the difference in the way that the Chinese and the Jews processed things in the aftermath. The Jews, by and large, did not blame the country that gave rise to the forces that committed the atrocities. They blamed the regime and its leader. It seems as if the Chinese blamed and continue to blame the entire Japanese population. The anger isn't limited to those individuals who actually committed the atrocities, nor to the chain of command that allowed it to happen.

There are some differences in the ways that Germany and Japan attempted to "come clean" afterward - namely, Germany tried very hard, whereas Japan seems to have tried quietly sweeping things under the rug while admitting guilt in other ways (payments to China) - but I can't imagine that alone makes the difference. Why do the Chinese hold on to this event and vilify all of Japan over it?

couple of reason of the difference between Germany and Japan after ww2.

1. Germany took it is housing cleaning seriously and have either arrested or made good faith efforts at bring them to justice.

Japan meanwhile made a sacrifice of 14 and did nothing beyond what the Americans had require. Many of it leaders who were invovle in crime against humanity live peaceful lives. And where leaders in Japanese post-war politics and business.

2. Germany have not at least to my knowledge ever try whitewash when happen in ww2. Japan has several times revise its school text book and either minimise or leftout what events in ww2 (Rape of Nanking and Comfort women).

3. while both Germany and Japan have apologies for its role in ww2. No German politicans form a major party have ever denied the holocaust or war crimes committed by the Germany army.

Apologies are a lot easier to accept when they are deem sincere and some Japanese politicians by their action and their words have call that sincerity into questions.
Old 2013-12-27, 21:54   Link #32387
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Of course the Nazi were keen on documenting everything. So there is no way to seriously deny anything. The Japanese Army was a little more secretive.
Old 2013-12-27, 22:19   Link #32388
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Apologies are a lot easier to accept when they are deem sincere and some Japanese politicians by their action and their words have call that sincerity into questions.
Actually, all the facts you have pointed is even more puzzling and I can relate to ledgem issue here, namely the misplaced hatred.

As far as it goes, it is the Japanese government doing jackshit about WWII related information, which hardly qualify the population as a whole.
It becomes a tad viceral at this point, where you have bunch of idiots trying to whitewash history (which is laughable at best since they can't claim the truth in contrast to other countries archives), while others just blame a whole country for the latter's doing.

Whereas I still don't understand why the likes of Abe still play the whitewashing charade, the whole hatred teached to the youth towards Japanese in general is just mindpuzzling. I would understand to some degree if the current generation really believes in Japanese government lies, but as far it goes they are basically on the receiving end.
That's as awkward as people still yelling "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR" even for completely unrelated stuff (I never lost that much hope in humanity after that mass of #pearlharbor tweets during either the female soccer final or during the fukushima disaster).
Old 2013-12-27, 22:42   Link #32389
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:

The communist regime is mainly responsible for it in China. "Protecting homeland" has been something that managed to make the Nationalists and the Communists stop fighting against each other. Then for the next 30 years, China needed patriotism to keep its population under control and wage war. Nowadays, it's harder to tell. For one, I suppose there's a bit of jealousy. Also, since media never blames the CCP, as soon as there's a conflict between China and Japan, Japan will obviously take the blame.

Plus, as you said it, Germany is much, much more harsher on the crackdown of NatSocs and make sure they don't reappear. Japan though has been soft in comparison with Germany.

Quote:
That's as awkward as people still yelling "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR" even for completely unrelated stuff (I never lost that much hope in humanity after that mass of #pearlharbor tweets during either the female soccer final or during the fukushima disaster).
I guess that would be the same people who would scream "Don't forget WWII" if the US manage to beat Germany in any sort of competition though.
Old 2013-12-27, 22:52   Link #32390
maplehurry

Quote:

In addition to what others mentioned, the majority of Chinese are convinced Senkaku's theirs, and things become messy...
Old 2013-12-27, 22:52   Link #32391
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, from Athena post, I could clearly see the different between CCP and VCP. Or more exactly, between Chinese and Vietnamese. Frankly, I have met several Japanese tourist - my older sister works in that field. And most of them are surprised of how friendly and welcoming Vietnamese are. In fact, without no doubt, Japanese tourists , and further, investment are the most sought after in Vietnam.

But then again, "The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend". The wave of Anti-China is rising, that is all I could say. Plus, Japan and Korea seems to be doing much better in spreading their culture around the world than China, thus making them more simpathy-able than the latter.
Old 2013-12-28, 00:57   Link #32392
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
That's as awkward as people still yelling "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR" even for completely unrelated stuff
I recall how weird that sounded in Full Metal Panic coming from an American submarine commander who probably wasn't born yet in 1941, and was not firing on a Japanese vessel.
Old 2013-12-28, 02:05   Link #32393
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

In terms of 'whitewashing' and 'coming clean' I don't think Japan had much of a choice.

In Germany, the democratic parties were wiped by the rise of the Nazis and their former members were facing death and terror all over the war time as political enemies of the regime.
So when they came back into power after the war, it was easy for them to say "the Nazis did this" and treat the war as an unfortunate interlude to the otherwise democratic Germany. Because for the parties themselves, this was actually true. Not so much for all their members though and of course not at all for the general public, but it set the tone...

But with Japan's desire for continuance, I don't see how they could have done the same thing. I mean, not without ditching the emporer and basicly everyone with any political power during the war...
So I guess that's where the different ways of handling the issue came from.

Still it would be about time that they try and finally work that out, but it does no seem to happen.
ArchmageXin brought up the 'respect your elders' mentality. Maybe that's why everyone in Asia is so much stuck in the past?
Old 2013-12-28, 02:14   Link #32394
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

China formally eases one-child policy
Old 2013-12-28, 02:33   Link #32395
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
They just realized "numbers" matters? But not really in modern era.
Old 2013-12-28, 03:01   Link #32396
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just making a ready made population for the Moon and Mar bases.
Old 2013-12-28, 03:20   Link #32397
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Just making a ready made population for the Moon and Mar bases.
So a billion is not enough already?
Old 2013-12-28, 03:21   Link #32398
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Frankly, most of the world problem would be eased up if the human population was 10-20% less.
Old 2013-12-28, 03:39   Link #32399
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
So a billion is not enough already?
That's not the problem. It's that the illegal gender-selective abortions are still going on, and the hope is to end that. There may be 24 million bachelors in China in 2020 who can't ever find a wife. All because women in their age group have "disappeared".
Old 2013-12-28, 03:43   Link #32400
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's not the problem. It's that the illegal gender-selective abortions are still going on, and the hope is to end that. There may be 24 million bachelors in China in 2020 who can't ever find a wife. All because women in their age group have "disappeared".
Have them become extreme otaku and the problem is solved. 2D >>> 3D.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international