AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-15, 02:47   Link #261
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwaltzing View Post
Here's some more food for thought about the OP.

Spoiler for Toward the end...:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwaltzing View Post
I hope with the new Travelers of the Hourglass manga, we get more information about that. I still haven't seen the second chapter if it anywhere, though...
Yeah, I just found the raw of Volume 1 published in NewType Ace. It definitely picks up right after the first Last Exile after looking at the pages. Volume 2 is supposed have been out by October 8th. ><
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 02:55   Link #262
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Personally, I think this "fanservice" reaction is overblown. Flashing panties on highschool students wearing mini-skirts is fanservice. I don't consider what was done in this episode fanservice. Or, perhaps more accurately, I don't think there was anything gratuitous about what was done in this episode.

I haven't heard anywhere as to how long the show will be, so I guess ANN is assuming one cour in the absence of info? I'm sure hoping for two cour though.

And, yea. I personally think Last Exile is among the top three best looking TV shows (anime; excluding OVAs and movies) of...well...all time. Fam doesn't look like it's going to disappoint in that regard.

Plus, it's supposed to also be done in stereoscopic 3D if you have a TV/Monitor that can support that, which I am hoping will be available on the Blu-Rays.

Spoiler for Maybe Spoiler? Don't think so, but just in case:
That's true.

Looks at Kaoru Chujo's new post about the tweet Thank goodness an even stronger confirmation it's two cours after the long wait and anticipation!

Totally agree, I place the first Last Exile the same and was blown away again with Fam's visuals of this setting.

That would be so awesome, with all the flight scenes I could totally see that being breathtaking on Blu-ray.

Ah stuopidget's fangasm post, sounds familiar, I couldn't help but OMG-ing myself through the ep.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-15 at 03:22.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 06:44   Link #263
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
hopefully....
The Silvana????
More like "Silvana MkII", aka Silvius.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 07:15   Link #264
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just watched the simulcast subs on Animax.

1. You wouldn't think GONZO's having money problems by the way the show is animated. Fantastic illustrations, the 3D isn't out of place, smooth aerial flight animations and the like.

2. From the moment it starts, it starts on high octane and grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go. As if by choice, the episode events plays extremely similar to the start of the original. It's engaging from the getgo and begins the intrigue and excitement early. I was expecting a slow start to help bring the world into play for new viewers and to ease the rest of us older fans back, but it manages surprisingly to do both without missing a beat. A lot of care was obviously placed in the pilot.

3. Hats off to Fam. She has pretty big shoes to fill as Claus' spiritual successor, and she delivers. Sassy, decisive and willing to get into the thick of things when she has to. She shares a lot with the aforementioned lead hero of the original series actually. Hats off to Toyosaki Aki too for bringing Fam to life with a great performance.

Spoiler for Spoilers?:

In short, the action and intrigue will grab new viewers from the get go, and fans of the original will find it very easy to get back into the world of Vanships and their pilots. It's both reminiscent of it's predecessor yet manages to present itself to some extent as a series that isn't merely a sequel or mooching off its pedigree.

Fantastic opener. Best of the season yet.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-10-15 at 08:08.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 09:11   Link #265
serpiente

Im really thankfull the CGI aerial scenes played ou really smooth, letting one appaise the beauty of the mechanical designs. Those vespa-banships are giving me VERTIGO! Those kids seem to fly on motorcycles with only clouds as protection. Last EXcells! Fam Yeah!
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 09:37   Link #266
E_I
Yuri fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Just watched the simulcast subs on Animax.
I guess you have to be a member to watch the subs?

Ahh...the quality looks like ****. I'll wait for NicoNico's subs.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 11:16   Link #267
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Just watched the show on Animax Asia and notice somethings. For one, Animax cut any nude scenes especially in the OP. But at least they add subtitles for both the OP and ED.

Anyway, i'm currently watching the original Last Exile so i can be up to date with Sliver Wing.

So for the 1st ep of Sliver Wing........Great! It reminded me of the 1st ep of Last Exile with such action and excitement. But the one thing that impress me was Aki's performance as Fam. Instead of her usually Yui voice, she uses an older voice that almost doesn't sound like her which proves she is able to take a variety of roles. Oh and Dio, although i prefer his Eng dub version. Speaking of dubs, i hope Funimation hires Bang Zoom to dub Sliver Wing and get the original English dub cast from Last Exile.

So now i off to finish the rest of Last Exile. Bye.

PS:Animax Asia is holding a competition for anime bloggers to review Sliver Wing.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:34   Link #268
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Anyway, i'm currently watching the original Last Exile so i can be up to date with Sliver Wing.
I actually did the opposite!

I pretty much forgot the entire plot from the original and thought I'd watch this along with new viewers to get a fresh taste .
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 12:28   Link #269
azarhal

Chess related episodes titles are still in, might be considered spoiler if you check the definition.
Ep1: Open File
Ep2: Foul's mate
Ep3: Light square (white square, some chess player use light for white)
Ep4: Dubious move
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 12:38   Link #270
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm logged in to Animax and all they link to is the PV. Is the episode live on the site and I'm just not seeing it?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 12:40   Link #271
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm logged in to Animax and all they link to is the PV. Is the episode live on the site and I'm just not seeing it?
I'm under the impression it's similar to airing it on TV. They run it at a specific time, and if you missed it...you missed it. Looks like they'll be re-airing tomorrow (the second airing for Saturday has also passed).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 14:02   Link #272
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Fan reaction in Japan seems pretty positive. "Gonzo returns to its peak." "That's our Gonzo." Lots of posting on 2channel, although not as much as for a couple of other new shows (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Fate/Zero). Some posts even mention Toyosaki Aki positively, although others skirt around her.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 15:40   Link #273
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I'm under the impression it's similar to airing it on TV. They run it at a specific time, and if you missed it...you missed it. Looks like they'll be re-airing tomorrow (the second airing for Saturday has also passed).
So if I'm reading the site correctly, their next showing is at 2 PM Sunday, Tokyo time, witch is 10 PM today US Pacific time?
Old 2011-10-15, 15:55   Link #274
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So if I'm reading the site correctly, their next showing is at 2 PM Sunday, Tokyo time, witch is 10 PM today US Pacific time?
I'm pretty sure that is 2 PM Hong Kong Time (+8 GMT). So, 11 PM (-7 due to daylight savings) for you? ie: 15 hour (or 9, depending on perspective) difference.

I'm basing this off their community twitter which I read at: http://community.animax-asia.com/ that uses HK as their time abbreviation, and having kept a tab open at: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=102 which displays the current Hong Kong time.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 15:59   Link #275
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ugh. That's damn late to start watching a show for blogging purposes...
Old 2011-10-15, 16:57   Link #276
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Fan reaction in Japan seems pretty positive. "Gonzo returns to its peak." "That's our Gonzo."
Just to check - they don't mean this in a "LOL GONZO" way like Western fandom does?

I have to be honest, I found this very disappointing. The three central characters are the least interesting elements of the whole thing; the art is very bright and colourful but tonally completely different from the washed-out tones of the original; the story doesn't capture the same tone. You'd have thought that in nearly 10 years CG would have improved but if anything the original Vanships looked better than the ones here (there's some terrible CG/2D integration).

I'm surprised people think that this starts like the original show did. I rewatched the first episode of Last Exile straight after watching Fam and just found it tonally and technically completely different.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 17:48   Link #277
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I have to be honest, I found this very disappointing. The three central characters are the least interesting elements of the whole thing; the art is very bright and colourful but tonally completely different from the washed-out tones of the original; the story doesn't capture the same tone. You'd have thought that in nearly 10 years CG would have improved but if anything the original Vanships looked better than the ones here (there's some terrible CG/2D integration).

I'm surprised people think that this starts like the original show did. I rewatched the first episode of Last Exile straight after watching Fam and just found it tonally and technically completely different.
I'm sure a lot of people agree with you too.

I treat this a spiritual successor, not successor in copying the original and continue on with another story. In the stream I watched, a lot of people enjoyed what they saw, while others expressed the same way as you. While the directors obviously took in consideration of the original crowd, the series was also meant for new viewers, as such I feel the directing choice for a more vibrant coloring was correct. Sky blue and cloud white coloring felt fresh; this is a new generation, and less "washed-out" tones gave me that feel.

The episode provided plenty of energy. The mains are not over the top; they feel real. I don't find them bland even standing next to Dio, especially Fam's rather spunky word choices (loved that part with the captain) and quirky personality. Besides the ethereal music from the original, the culture of the world was another aspect that drew me in. From the people's garments to the airships together with the panoramic cuts are just beautiful (I keep coming back to this word because the episodes captures the adjective so well). Not to mention the choreography in "whale" capturing was very well scripted; the "stealing" was a bit cheesy in this department, but the grandeur and epicness are still there.

In a sense, I almost feel like watching a TV series of Laputa. I must say the feeling is incredible. Sorry that's not the same for you =(.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 18:22   Link #278
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's interesting - I haven't watched this yet, but "feels like watching a TV series of Laputa" is just about what I felt after watching the first ep of the original series.
Old 2011-10-15, 20:16   Link #279
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

On the unlikely event that no group will try and sub it, or even rip it with subs from TV, looks like it's TV for me, and the show is so far damn good enough for me to work my weekend scheduke around it despite having hospital work on weekends.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 21:41   Link #280
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I truly hope a group picks this up especially a very specific one. i have a very good feeling about it and especially since I love the first one. I hope. Im getting anxious but i want to wait for a high quality rip to see it all its glory

Tags
adventure, science fiction