Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-28, 14:09   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I really hate this phenomenon so much that I classify it as one of my worst anime cliches. It's not a very good argument to use with fiction, as if you don't start strong, you can't expect to hook viewers in.
I don't see why it's a "cliche". And "strong", as I'm sure we'd all eventually agree, is subjective. It doesn't take flashy animation or adrenaline-pumping action to hook me to a story, yet that is exactly the kind of introduction that a lot of viewers expect, I find.

And it's one of the reasons, I've observed, that some people overlook Haibane Renmei. There were even some who dropped the series too early despite claiming to like fly-on-the-wall realism. Too bad. It isn't until the last third of the series that everything clicks together. And when it finally does, wow.

But, of course, your mileage may vary.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:25   Link #42
BLAM
Loner

Aria the Scarlet ammo.
My god, it only god worse. Were it not for the character designs I would have stopped watching entirely.
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:48   Link #43
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Nanoha looks meh and average at the first episodes, but damn, it gets better.

The Melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya counts too since you don't know what kind of epicness you got yourself into until the serious stuff pops up.

The World God Only Knows - It really surprised me with how good it is.

More so in the manga - Negima. What looks like a average harem with ecchi and magic, turns out to be an epic shounen manga with lots of awesome fights, tons of lovable characters and one badass eleven years old.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 15:05   Link #44
Rahan

Hitman Reborn is the obvious answer here, since it has about 2 cours (maybe more ? a little less ? I don't remember, I don't want to remember) of bad comedy before finding its own style. (which is your standard shounen fighting anime)

It's kinda common for such mangas / anime to start relatively weak and only get interesting later, when the first main antagonists appear or the main plot starts kicking in (see Bleach, YYH ...)

Hmm, also maybe Claymore. There is that fantastic flashback arc that is so much better than everything that came before in the manga or anime. But then, it doesn't take long to realize this arc is also so much better than everything that came afterwards, so I am not sure it counts. It doesn't really get better, it's just a flash of brilliance in a mediocre anime / manga.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 15:11   Link #45
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAM View Post
Aria the Scarlet ammo.
My god, it only god worse. Were it not for the character designs I would have stopped watching entirely.
No, it got better. The later episodes were way more interesting than the first two!
Old 2012-03-28, 15:18   Link #46
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
The Melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya counts too since you don't know what kind of epicness you got yourself into until the serious stuff pops up.
Oh man, my initial reaction to Haruhi 00 episode: "WTF was this crap?!" Then I watched episode 5 and 2 and thought, "This is the best series I've ever seen".
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 17:15   Link #47
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I actually ended up liking Haruhi episode 00 a lot on my rewatches. The only problem is that its the worst possible episode to start a series with.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 17:38   Link #48
Jaden

Almost anything adopted straight from a light novel or a VN. Because unlike a manga, they don't have to hook the reader in the first chapter and can have a longer build-up before the good stuff.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:54   Link #49
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Haruhi 00 seems like a perfect way to setup everything and yet tell you nothing...and yet everything at the same time. It is also a wtf episode because you don't know what is going on...but if you start to think about it...it is rather impressive.

That someone would go through the trouble to animate poor lighting and camera jugglng, and have someone speak obviously bad dialogue. And yet have pretty backgrounds...people moving in the backgrounds...nice looking, if poorly lit and framed characters. And the rare, fairly awesome looking effects mixed with obviously bad effects. Add to this introducing our narrator...the ever snarking Kyon, and you have a very interesting episode. And then of course there was Haruhi's indroduction...and the ED....it was always the ED dance.

I can't say it would work for sure though. I started on the Space Battle episode.
Old 2012-03-28, 19:04   Link #50
Echoes

I was actually very intrigued by the first episode of Haruhi. The episode was certainly misleading in retrospect, but it left me wanting more upon viewing. I figured it was going to be an anthology-like thing with different short stories each episode. I remember being a little disappointed when that didn't happen. As you might've guessed, my tune quickly changed.

I knew virtually nothing about anime as a medium at the time, having watched a dozen series at most. When Haruhi described Mikuru as "moe", I didn't know what the hell she was talking about.
Old 2012-03-28, 20:08   Link #51
Haladflire65
*Artist

For me, Gintama. It took me a while to ease myself into the series and catch onto its weird sense of humour and insanity - once I did, there was nothing more addicting. Also, its serious arcs are very, very well done, but since the first one's at episode 60-something most non-fans don't get to that point. I think that's when I finally fully started loving the show.
Old 2012-03-28, 20:49   Link #52
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I LOVED episode 00 of Haruhi the very first time I saw it. I was laughing at Mikuru's terrible singing and acting so hard!

"This is when you're supposed to pass out!"
"......kyuuuuu"

ROFL.
Old 2012-03-28, 21:21   Link #53
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh man, my initial reaction to Haruhi 00 episode: "WTF was this crap?!" Then I watched episode 5 and 2 and thought, "This is the best series I've ever seen".
Actually 00 episode is my favorite of them all
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 21:49   Link #54
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Bakuman for me. It's really text heavy at first with all the terms and details about mangakas and that might bore impatient people. But stick through it as the episodes goes by...you'll definitely get hooked. It's very very worth it.
Old 2012-03-28, 21:50   Link #55
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I don't see why it's a "cliche". And "strong", as I'm sure we'd all eventually agree, is subjective. It doesn't take flashy animation or adrenaline-pumping action to hook me to a story, yet that is exactly the kind of introduction that a lot of viewers expect, I find.

And it's one of the reasons, I've observed, that some people overlook Haibane Renmei. There were even some who dropped the series too early despite claiming to like fly-on-the-wall realism. Too bad. It isn't until the last third of the series that everything clicks together. And when it finally does, wow.

But, of course, your mileage may vary.
I'm one of the strange people that loved Haibane Renmei right away. I have yet to find another anime that even begins to capture the awesome that was that show. I also realize my opinion on that isn't the popular one. It did help a lot that I had seen another of ABe's works before though - Serial Experiments Lain. This one took me a few episodes to get into. While I loved the mood, mystery, design, and that lovely opening song, I had no idea what the heck was going on. Then I found myself marathoning the rest of the series and finding myself no less understanding. Definitely heavy on the existentialism, which is a trait Haibane Renmei shares, and one I seek out in anime in general.

It's a shame Despera never got off the ground, I was really hoping to see ABe's work in anime again.
Old 2012-03-28, 21:53   Link #56
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Steins;Gate definitely bored me to death at first. However, halfway through, it became intense and very serious which got me hooked up. The character's struggle and unyielding desire to accomplish his goal was very intriguing to watch. I'm glad I stuck with it till the end. The series was worth the hours that was used up to watch it.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 01:28   Link #57
HasuMasu
*Artist

I was never a fan of the 'first impressions' thing, I always find myself hissing under my breath when someone mentions it around me.

I suppose it shows since I rarely ever drop anime, and certainly never before the first episode is even done.
Old 2012-03-29, 06:11   Link #58
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Hanasakeru Seishounen. At first, I thought it was just another reverse harem anime with bishounens popping out left and right. But I was wrong. As I watched further, each character's past and torment are revealed, and throw in a country with political strife, the story just gets better with each episode.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 06:52   Link #59
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I LOVED episode 00 of Haruhi the very first time I saw it. I was laughing at Mikuru's terrible singing and acting so hard!

"This is when you're supposed to pass out!"
"......kyuuuuu"

ROFL.
When I initially watch Episode 00, I was like "What the hell is this crap?". When I rewatched it a month later, knowing the characters already, it became the best episode of Haruhi for me.
Old 2012-03-29, 07:23   Link #60
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Horizon, TTGL... not sure of many others.

I don't think it's that much of problem dropping stuff just because it doesn't cut it. If it's actually good then you'll hear about them again eventually; what's the rush? And if they're as bad as you think they are, then once the show is over the people defending it will forget about it and the show will be forgotten and you wouldn't have wasted your time. Just have patience.