AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-28, 02:13   Link #81
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Here's how I imagine the IRC style of close and personal correspondence went down in the days of VHS fansubbing.
ROTFL! Thanks for the humor.

Now that you've got that out of your system, I should mention that the occasional individual actually does talk about something other than the 5 questions that Somedude mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
"Is it done yet?"
"When is it going to be done?"
"You guys suck!!! (Is it done yet?)"
"You're slower than group X"
"Why aren't you done yet?"
I admit that any other correspondence is rare, but not non-existent. With that said and out of the way, I will say that I believe that they get just as many interesting comments and complements on their forums and irc as before the advent of BitTorrent even though the number of people in their channel is less. Okay... perhaps it is a bit less in their channel since fewer people even know how to use IRC these days. All of the extra comentary they might have gotten in their channel has become part of the conversation in the AnimeSuki Forum instead. I'm divided in my belief if that is a good thing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:16   Link #82
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555
Only an idiot wouldnt be able to figure out how to use irc... There are so many guides out there and you can even use the irc sites to find out the trigger you use to dl something. Honestly how could you possibly make something easier, granted there will always be morons like you who simply want to dl everything without a care for the people who make it.
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
28 April 1994

Dear Mr. Vio5555,

I received your letter dated 20 April, and I shall not comment on your language here, excepting to wonder whether you talk to your own mother in that manner. While I would like to respond on cordial terms, I must say that it seems folly to produce so much extra paperwork on the part of both the sender and the receiver when a network has been developed that is adapted precisely to the needs of fansubbers. Additionally, I do not believe that joining and writing to a mailing list in order to request a list of S.A.S.E. distribution centers is "a care for the people who make it", as much as a more complicated way of begging for the same information. Therefore, I am of the opinion that this network should be brought to your fansubbing group, so that we may all make use of it.

But despite this ignoble request, sir, I am still your most humble and obedient servant, and it remains my pleasure to be sincerely yours,

Avery Kasuga, Esquire.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-02-28 at 02:32. Reason: P.S. I am removing my lengthy and inappropriate advertisement banner from this letter.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:24   Link #83
vio5555

Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
28 April 1994

Dear Mr. Vio5555,

I received your letter dated 20 April, and I shall not comment on your language here, excepting to wonder whether you talk to your own mother in that manner. While I would like to respond on cordial terms, I must say that it seems folly to produce so much extra paperwork on the part of both the sender and the receiver when a network has been developed that is adapted precisely to the needs of fansubbers. Additionally, I do not believe that joining and writing to a mailing list in order to request a list of S.A.S.E. distribution centers is "a care for the people who make it", as much as a more complicated way of begging for the same information. Therefore, I am of the opinion that this network should be brought to your fansubbing group, so that we may all make use of it.

But despite this ignoble request, sir, I am still your most humble and obedient servant, and it remains my pleasure to be sincerely yours,
Avery Kasuga, Esquire
Somehow, I suspected you really wouldn't answer anything I said, but it doesn't matter since your answer would have been a lot of incoherent fluff to the effect of "BT rulez, i get 1 k/s off of it and i pwn j00."

You know what I find to be ironic, though, is the fact that you seem to be for fansubbing ethics but against the fansubbers themselves. Well here's an answer for you: screw the ethics, WAREZ RULE!!! If you dont care for the fansubbers themselves, why do you care for what they do on the irc networks that you seem to hate using?
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:29   Link #84
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Somehow, I suspected you really wouldn't answer anything I said, but it doesn't matter since your answer would have been a lot of incoherent fluff to the effect of "BT rulez, i get 1 k/s off of it and i pwn j00."

You know what I find to be ironic, though, is the fact that you seem to be for fansubbing ethics but against the fansubbers themselves. Well here's an answer for you: screw the ethics, WAREZ RULE!!! If you dont care for the fansubbers themselves, why do you care for what they do on the irc networks that you seem to hate using?
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
31 April 1994

Dear Mr. Vio5555,

I am quite astounded, sir. Perhaps you have written me with this letter before reading my reply to you dated 28 April, but you seem to have enclosed it in the selfsame envelope. Do you mean to say that you did not wish to read it? This strikes me as somewhat impolite. I can only hope that there is some other reason for your lack of coherent response.

Most confused,

Avery Kasuga
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:32   Link #85
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
yikes ...

this is getting less and less like a clean argument and more and more like a flamewar.

ashibaka: tapesubbing is a whole different animal than digisubbing. I'm having trouble seeing the relevance of your post there, other than its sheer unadulterated humor value (it is pretty goddamned funny )

in the early days of digisubs, before the prevalence of xdcc bots really skyrocketed, a lot of groups did in fact try to make you jump through hoops on command, so I guess you're kind of right there.... I guess really the sense of "We're better than you" has just switched sides now ... I rather wish it'd just go away altogether so we could be civil toward each other, rather than having this love-hate thing that we've got now.

Somedude: you're mostly right, that's the kind of feedback we'd rather not have in our irc channels anyway . There's community, and there are parts of the community that are nothing but detrimental. I think the feedback you were trying to point out is a lot closer to the latter than the former. I guess it's just the characterization of any community though, and I guess the prevalence of bt does successfully remove a bit of that ... but at the same time it also encourages it. When it was harder to get stuff and required work, especially on the day of the release, people didn't bitch about how the distro method sucked or how horrible it was for them, or how their leeching a half hour old torrent is slow so bt sucks and that's all there is to it. I dunno, maybe it's really just a moot point - people think bt is faster so more people use it, which initially slows it down. In the end of the equation it's faster than other methods, but it also "punishes" the early leeches by expecting them to actually participate, and to give as much as or even more than they've received. I think it breeds the "you guys are slower" attitude too, 'cause it's only time to release, not time until the episode is prevalent and easy to get.

vio5555: don't feed the ashibaka. it'll only make it worse. (and don't comment on his sig unless it's "well then you find a better network to go that will let fansubbers live on it, isn't down 3 days a week, has services and can support a reasonably large community" ... 'cause if he finds a good alternative that's not all full of warez and crap and can support the 10k+ people that will follow the bulk of the fansubbing community whereever they go and can also stand up to the massive lameass ddosers that have killed at least two such networks since mircx, he should probably tell us about it so we can go there and watch it crumble under more lameass ddosers).
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:41   Link #86
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I admit that any other correspondence is rare, but not non-existent. With that said and out of the way, I will say that I believe that they get just as many interesting comments and complements on their forums and irc as before the advent of BitTorrent even though the number of people in their channel is less. Okay... perhaps it is a bit less in their channel since fewer people even know how to use IRC these days. All of the extra comentary they might have gotten in their channel has become part of the conversation in the AnimeSuki Forum instead. I'm divided in my belief if that is a good thing.
I believe that constructive comments can't be extolled by force, and that any attempt to do so will just cause people to resent you. The best way to foster constructive criticism and discussion is to keep a friendly channel and be open with the people in your channel. Try to answer their questions and don't freak out and ban them when they say they don't like your work or something(Exceptions of course can be made. ). Just basically try not to come off like a tyrant or megalomanic or something.

If you're even-handed and friendly, chances are, you'll get people who will enjoy joining your channel for a conversation. The key is fostering a sense of community and some mutual respect.

Of course you may chose to disregard my beliefs since we only have 18 or so people in our channel right now. (Sadly, not everyone noticed that mircx went down yet. )
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:42   Link #87
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by complich8
yikes ...
vio5555: don't feed the ashibaka. it'll only make it worse. (and don't comment on his sig unless it's "well then you find a better network to go that will let fansubbers live on it, isn't down 3 days a week, has services and can support a reasonably large community" ... 'cause if he finds a good alternative that's not all full of warez and crap and can support the 10k+ people that will follow the bulk of the fansubbing community whereever they go and can also stand up to the massive lameass ddosers that have killed at least two such networks since mircx, he should probably tell us about it so we can go there and watch it crumble under more lameass ddosers).
Yeah, I suppose I'm just unhappy with all the posts from spoiled leechers like ashibaka, who've been demanding eps in the last few days even though the groups are trying to get reorganized after all the fiascoes, most groups are still at between 30% to 70% full strength, and then on top of all of the other whining comes the good old "well you shouldn't be on a warez network, not that I would know, since I dont use rizon anyways..." You're definitely right that its gonna be near impossible to find another place to relocate 10k+ people; I suppose beggars cant be choosers
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:44   Link #88
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose I'm just unhappy with all the posts from spoiled leechers like ashibaka, who've been demanding eps in the last few days
I wasn't demanding anything. I don't even watch your fansubs. I just thought it was rubbish to restrict everyone to IRC for downloading files when there are much more effective and convenient protocols available.

Last I checked, irc.zirc.org is open for business 7 days a week.
Old 2004-02-28, 02:49   Link #89
Somedude

Quote:
I wasn't demanding anything. I don't even watch your fansubs. I just thought it was rubbish to restrict everyone to IRC for downloading files when there are much more effective and convenient protocols available.

Last I checked, irc.zirc.org is open for business 7 days a week.
Realistically, what do you suppose that zirc can handle? It looks like a rather smallish network...

Imagine what would happen if everyone were to jump over there...
Old 2004-02-28, 02:55   Link #90
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Realistically, what do you suppose that zirc can handle?
It hosts most of the SomethingAwful channels, and that's the largest community on the Internet, period. I don't think 200 anime groups of 20 members each would hurt it that much more.
Old 2004-02-28, 02:57   Link #91
Autumn

Initially xdcc is faster, to get new release seeded. Also it is faster because you are only downloading and not uploading. (But bt mass distribute the file at a faster rate than xdcc.)Although irc is not hard to use it is very inconvenient.

Yeah i am too lazy to go to the irc to look for the new episodes, but also because i have work, school, and tons of other things to do. But yet i still want to have the chance at watching anime and appreciating the works of the fansubbers.

So overall i like BT better, not only do am able to easily access a anime file/link i am also able to easily download stuff, without wasting my time. Furthermore after i finish downloading an episode, i could also help seed it, without additional work, like setting up a server.

On another note, i want to take this opportunity to thank all the fansubbing groups for a great job on all the animes, and that their hard work is greatly appreciated.

Ashibaka-like your letter, very funny.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 03:03   Link #92
Somedude

Quote:
It hosts most of the SomethingAwful channels, and that's the largest community on the Internet, period. I don't think 200 anime groups of 20 members each would hurt it that much more.
Heh, I don't know what's worse, warez or SA fans.

Also, you're being a little short-sighted. You're forgetting that these groups are bringing leechers by the truckload.
Old 2004-02-28, 03:05   Link #93
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Also, you're being a little short-sighted. You're forgetting that these groups are bringing leechers by the truckload.
Yeah, that would be a problem, but you could always tell the leechers to fark off and patiently use BitTorrent.
Old 2004-02-28, 03:07   Link #94
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Well you have the 200 anime groups of 20 members each and then in addition you have the "big three" anime groups with about 1000 members each, could it hand that? And I don't think any leeches would appreciate being told to "fark" off any more than the fansubbers would enjoy being mean to their fans.
Old 2004-02-28, 03:13   Link #95
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Well you have the 200 anime groups of 20 members each and then in addition you have the "big three" anime groups with about 1000 members each, could it hand that?
AnimeJunkies can stay on Verizon for all I care.
Old 2004-02-28, 06:26   Link #96
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:

I want you to explain what you mean by "somethingawful channels" right now!
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 07:08   Link #97
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
I want you to explain what you mean by "somethingawful channels" right now!
That might be a bit difficult since ashibaka is enjoying a two day ban right now
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 08:40   Link #98
bluemist
i am the mist

I love to download on IRC. But what I hate about it:
The IRC servers get ddos attacks. Mirc-X is now gone because of that. The channels in it are now scattered and I need to re-organize to get to them as well.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 09:12   Link #99
cf18
Mecha Pilot

IRC is a shitty form of communication anyway. Personally I can't stand the snail pace and the mental filtering of the channel noise.

If you really want ass kissings distribute your AVI in a password protected RAR and force people to reply in your forum in order to get the password. Of course you will only get 500 replies of "thx".
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 12:42   Link #100
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
IRC is a shitty form of communication anyway. Personally I can't stand the snail pace and the mental filtering of the channel noise.

If you really want ass kissings distribute your AVI in a password protected RAR and force people to reply in your forum in order to get the password. Of course you will only get 500 replies of "thx".
Nope IRC is not "shitty form of communication", but everyone have a right for their own opinion and I respect yours. IRC protocol itself is quite easy and there are many applications that do support it: PHP, Perl, java...you name it. IRC also works on ANY platform. You can use IRC from console,laptop, terminal, Palm, i286 old comp, even hi tech calculator. Can you say the same about any other way of communication? I thought so...
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote