AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-05-06, 07:01   Link #501
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it that makes the romance average to you? And when you say "romance", do you mean the adorable relation Kirito and Asuna have (which they do. In volume 1, at least) or the crappy harem? I don't consider a harem to be romance, and I never will. Frankly, I loved what I saw of the romance in the first volume; I actually found it better than most, if not all, of the romance in other stories that I've read or watched.

What would shows/LNs and so on would consider to have good/really good/5 *s romance?
I admit that I may be wrong about commenting that the "romance" element is "at best average" but what I really meant was just as Fallen3dge said, the romance is not Kawahara's strong or main point in the series. Yes, the romance between Kirito and Asuna was very good in volume 1 (that's why I like Kirito x Asuna pair) but that's it. In other volumes, it seems that Kawahara put much effort on plot and action scenes than romance, hence I wrote that the romance in SAO series is average. I was commenting on the overall basis but if you ask me how was the romantic fare in Volume 1? I would say "very good".

I do not watch many romance animes, so I could not say which is the best but the romance in Steins;Gate (Okabe x Kurisu) and Ano Natsu de Matteru was really good.
Old 2012-05-06, 07:10   Link #502
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

I think SAO's "way" with romance is fixed on asuna with girls liking kirito but like little to no reciprocation of their feelings. 'Ultimate way' is *I pray* only a doujin and non-canon
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 16:12   Link #503
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
I admit that I may be wrong about commenting that the "romance" element is "at best average" but what I really meant was just as Fallen3dge said, the romance is not Kawahara's strong or main point in the series. Yes, the romance between Kirito and Asuna was very good in volume 1 (that's why I like Kirito x Asuna pair) but that's it. In other volumes, it seems that Kawahara put much effort on plot and action scenes than romance, hence I wrote that the romance in SAO series is average. I was commenting on the overall basis but if you ask me how was the romantic fare in Volume 1? I would say "very good".
Ah, fair enough. I'm in no position to debate over whether or not romance is one of the strong points of this series, as I still have to read volume 2 and the proceeding volumes. I did get the impression that Kirito and Asuna's love for each other served important purposes in some arcs, though.

Quote:
I do not watch many romance animes, so I could not say which is the best but the romance in Steins;Gate (Okabe x Kurisu) and Ano Natsu de Matteru was really good.
Ah, yes. I quite liked the romance in those two shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
I think SAO's "way" with romance is fixed on asuna with girls liking kirito but like little to no reciprocation of their feelings. 'Ultimate way' is *I pray* only a doujin and non-canon
Yep, that seems about right. Kirito seems like the type of person who is very charismatic, but just doesn’t realize it; and as a consequence, he ends up flirting with girls without knowing it.

However, a harem is not 'romance' in any sense of the word. My definition of romance (and also one of the most common definitions) is the love between two people. But yes, the author himself said that that SS was non-canon on Twitter.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 20:25   Link #504
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

This series really a harem one tbh. If its romance at all, it would only be when asuna's there *bewares of all other girls fans*
Old 2012-05-07, 10:49   Link #505
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Let's put it this way, the way the romance competition is going here is like how Vince Carter sealed the 2000 dunk contest with the first dunk. It's over in the first volume.

...Yeah, and we'll have SAO main volumes caught up before the anime even airs...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 11:23   Link #506
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Let's put it this way, the way the romance competition is going here is like how Vince Carter sealed the 2000 dunk contest with the first dunk. It's over in the first volume.

...Yeah, and we'll have SAO main volumes caught up before the anime even airs...
I'd hope that'd be a good thing, when the couple involved gets married. Dunno?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a ME or side story detailing Asuna 'chasing' Kirino... We certainly get a lot of other girls's chasing him from their POV, but not so much of her doing it from her POV. Aria, AFAIK, is really it and that really doesn't qualify. And some of the ME4: Cold hand, Warm heart content (Note, I've only read the translated bits).
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 13:36   Link #507
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:

Lol...

U mean kirito falling for any girl was over since vol.1
However the girls falling for kirito is like a kid at toys r us.
If u don't watch carefully, u have no idea what or how he picked her up.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 15:04   Link #508
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
This series really a harem one tbh. If its romance at all, it would only be when asuna's there *bewares of all other girls fans*
Ah well. Romance >> harem, and Asuna >> other girls. :>

Quote:

And thank god for that!

Cool! Keep up the great work ~

@aigomorla: LOL, awesome analogy.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 18:59   Link #509
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

There's only v8c1 and v9 left so hopefully it'll be done before v10 is out around the same time as the anime.
Old 2012-05-07, 22:01   Link #510
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Can someone tell me what happened Argo (Rat)?

Did she die? Did she get free'd?
I expected if she made it out of SAO, wouldnt she be with Kirito and Etal?
Yet i dont see her name being mentioned anymore after Aria...
Old 2012-05-07, 22:13   Link #511
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigomorla View Post

Argo was never friends with Kirito and co. which is most likely why she doesn't contact them once freed. She's an information broker, so she holds no allegiance. Though you could argue that she may hold a certain fondness for Kirito, that comes nowhere close to actual friendship.
Old 2012-05-07, 22:14   Link #512
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Quote:

her name was mentioned in vol 2 the xmas story, she dint die. but he dint find her after i think
Old 2012-05-08, 00:59   Link #513
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Argo was never friends with Kirito and co.

i thought she was, because she was the 1st girl's friends contact he ever gotten from SAO.

Assuming..

1. Argo
2. Asuna
3. Sachi
4. Sicillia
5. Lizbert
Old 2012-05-08, 01:31   Link #514
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

According to Aria, he met argo then Asuna, but assuming Arai is canon since we see it in the anime, something must have happened for Asuna to forget Kirito or something like that because apparently she din't recognize him when they met in the upper floors
Old 2012-05-08, 01:55   Link #515
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
i thought she was, because she was the 1st girl's friends contact he ever gotten from SAO.

Assuming..

1. Argo
2. Asuna
3. Sachi
4. Sicillia
5. Lizbert
I don't think he ever added her to his friend list though? Unless you're talking about meeting, in which case what I touched on earlier of the difference between acquaintances and friends fits. The rest of the people on your list know Kirito on a personal basis and they've all shared experiences with Kirito, creating an emotional bond he doesn't have with Argo.
Old 2012-05-08, 03:24   Link #516
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
I don't think he ever added her to his friend list though?
yea he did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
It was a Friend Message, of which could be sent and received even when not on the same floor. And I have only registered two players as friends. My first friend Cline and ―― the information dealer, Argo the Rat.

Who is it, I wondered as I opened the message, and found it was the latter.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:16   Link #517
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
yea he did
Hmmm, that doesn't seem like a bright idea to me considering the fact that friends can use friend traces and thus people would be able to buy information on where Kirito is at any moment.

But regardless, my previous point still stands. Assuming Kirito put Argo on the list because he thought of her as a friend, I would surmise that their relationship would be that of normal friends, who would just greet each other in passing. On the other hand, Kirito's fought and risked his life with Asuna and co. so the bonds that form are inevitably stronger.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:31   Link #518
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

He put her on the list mostly to faciliate conversations should he need her help. This is my speculation. Also off topic a little, tom youmre right, just watched steins gate, OkabeXKurisu, so touching especially ep 22. Hope movie shows more of their hijinks
Old 2012-05-08, 11:37   Link #519
tomtkp

Quote:
He put her on the list mostly to faciliate conversations should he need her help. This is my speculation. Also off topic a little, tom youmre right, just watched steins gate, OkabeXKurisu, so touching especially ep 22. Hope movie shows more of their hijinks
Off topic.

Have you watched episode 25 (OVA episode) of Steins;Gate? This episode's more comedy and more OkabeXKurisu but that final scene....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 2012-05-08, 16:30   Link #520
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Hmmm, that doesn't seem like a bright idea to me considering the fact that friends can use friend traces and thus people would be able to buy information on where Kirito is at any moment.
yeah however i dont think argo would do that.

Remember argo didnt give away kirito's identity as a beater.
She only gave his identity away as a seller.
Kirito even said if it came down to it, argo would give up cash then give up that information.

Also that "favor" kirito asks of argo is something u ask a friend.
"the 100,000 dollar question on the whiskers"

Not a real information broker.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality