AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-02-03, 04:42   Link #81
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Eh... I'll debate you on that. Empty =/= Sky. And Sky isn't even an element. It's a place. And Air would be much better.
Spoiler for SKY:

The person probably wanted something like this?
Spoiler:
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 21:17   Link #82
sorvani

edit2: maybe this should be in the learning japanese thread.. moving it..
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 17:58   Link #83
sorvani

金まる茶

kin ma ru cha

ok i know what the characters are, my question is what is it? a brand? a name? a web search of google.co.jp doesn't return anything i was able to track back.

if you look back in this thread a bit you'll see an image i posted with these characters. and you'll see someone's response to the translation. since then my understanding of the language has progress slightly, and i don't get his translation of it. i'm assuming because i dont understand what まる means as a suffix to 金. Looking in NTC's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary, and Kodansha's furigana Japanese Dictionary, i can't find any common usages of 金 with まる.
Old 2006-03-04, 13:37   Link #84
raikage
日本語を食べません!

I believe it is actually a brand of iced tea.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 21:02   Link #85
sorvani

i was thinking it was a brand, but when i couldn't find anything obvious on google.jp i decided to ask here.
Old 2006-07-01, 18:08   Link #86
Furudanuki

Could someone please answer a question about the title of the ED for Nurse Witch Komugi?

オトメの魔法でポン・デ・ケ・ワ

Does the last part ( ポン・デ・ケ・ワ ) actually mean anything, or is it simply a string of nonsense syllables? I currently have the song stuck in my head, and I figured that if I could not make it go away I might as well try to learn something from the experience.

Thanks in advance!
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 18:29   Link #87
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
What does arimasu mean? (Not arimasen)

I know it's one of the ending verbs, but a character in Shakugan no Shana uses it in about 80% of her sentences. (10% being arimasen and 10% being nothing special)
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 18:44   Link #88
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
What does arimasu mean? (Not arimasen)

I know it's one of the ending verbs, but a character in Shakugan no Shana uses it in about 80% of her sentences. (10% being arimasen and 10% being nothing special)
I didn't watch shakugan no shana but I can tell you arimasu and arimasen are contraries. Basically it means " there is" and "there isn't" but it's more complicated than that. The fact that character repeats it a lot may be just like keroro weird way of saying "de arimasu" all the time. People watching Shana will confirm.

Anyway, lately in anime, lots of people speak and end their sentences with stretching you'll never hear in real life. For instance, Higurashi and its " Kana, kana" or "desu, desu". Arimasu or de arimasu aren't wrong though, grammatically speaking, but it helps create a real personnality to the character. I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Does the last part actually mean anything, or is it simply a string of nonsense syllables? I currently have the song stuck in my head, and I figured that if I could not make it go away I might as well try to learn something from the experience.
Same, I didn't watch the series, so yeah, I'd better shut up. I don't think it has any special meaning to it though. If there are witch involved, it might just be a deformed pun over "tondeke" = "fly away" but yet again I'm not sure...

Next time I won't say anything, promise!

edit : 2 months later, I did it again... ahem

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-08-25 at 17:26.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 18:56   Link #89
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
I didn't watch shakugan no shana but I can tell you arimasu and arimasen are contraries. Basically it means " there is" and "there isn't" but it's more complicated than that. The fact that character repeats it a lot may be just like keroro weird way of saying "de arimasu" all the time. People watching Shana will confirm.

Anyway, lately in anime, lots of people speak and end their sentences with stretching you'll never hear in real life. For instance, Higurashi and its " Kana, kana" or "desu, desu". Arimasu or de arimasu aren't wrong though, grammatically speaking, but it helps create a real personnality to the character. I guess...
I thought it was a character thing too. It's getting pretty normal these days.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 08:48   Link #90
pinomustfly

Need a small translation Japanese>English

Hello.
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but I've got to try.

What I was going to ask about, was that I need a english translation of some character profiles from a Playstation 2 game. There are 4 profiles, each one does not have very much text. I need the translation for a document I am working on. I have no problem with giving credit in this document to whoever, if anyone, decides to be so nice and help me.

There are four profiles, and what I am aiming for is a complete translation of all of them. It's not very much text.

Here is the URL. I can be reached at this topic, PM or MSN: eirik.mortensen@gameroobie.com .

Hope someone would be very nice and help
pinomustfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 22:44   Link #91
Furudanuki

I would greatly appreciate some help with a translation question. I'm a bit confused about how the の particles should be handled in the following sentence:

相手は妹の幸子の友達

Context wise, the line is referring to a girl who is waiting for her blind date to arrive. I'm thinking that the translation would be "Her companion is a friend of her younger sister, Sachiko." Am I on the right track here? If not, would someone please point out where I went wrong?
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 07:58   Link #92
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Need help on a translation

Hey peoples...

I'm currently doing a short anime for my major work and I need help on the title...

The current title is "Earth Visitor Ehushu" and it's about an alien (named Ehushu).

What's the closest word to "visitor" which implies alien in Japanese? iseijin? takokujin? Uchuujin?

Thanks!
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 10:52   Link #93
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Furudanuki, as far as I can tell, I think you're right.

Katakami, I suppose uchûjin would do. It's the most common translation for "alien". Iseijin it comes from another planet, just like the kanji read. Uchûjin means "someone from outer space" only.
And as for takokujin, well, I'm sorry my Japanese has lacks, but I've never heard that word.

As takoku would mean "other country" I guess it's not what you're looking for.

So if you ask me, choose "uchûjin".

To be sure, I checked in the dictionary. You have "Hômonsha" too, which would suit the character as well, i guess. Hope that helps
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 12:53   Link #94
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
>< Thanks so much raphaël! I'll go with Uchuujin. =)
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 08:54   Link #95
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
A million Internets to whomever translates the top of the page for me. It's small and I do not understand a thing it says.
Spoiler for image:

I'm sorry, but at the moment I cannot find a larger version of the image.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 04:04   Link #96
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I would like to know if this phase has some kind of history or something like if it was originally mostly used in Samurai movies and what exactly did it mean:

この紋所が目に入らぬか
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 07:03   Link #97
Gaiarth

I've seen samurai dramas where, somewhere near the end, the hero will whip out the Shogun's crest and show it to everyone before solving the problem-of-the-week. This seems like the sort of thing he would say while exerting his authority. Though it's been years since I've actually seen one, so I couldn't say if anybody used that exact phrasing.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 13:39   Link #98
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
The show is probably based on Mito Komon. There's also a 1981 giant robot series called Daiohja (AniDB link) that used that exact phrase too.

And the proper term for the crest is 紋章 (monshou) instead of 紋所.

It's simply saying "See this crest?!"
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 14:15   Link #99
hooliganj
Team Player

Given the dialect, perhaps "Look upon this crest!", or something similar, would be a more appropriate way to translate it.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 02:20   Link #100
makeyourself
itadakimasu!

Send a message via MSN to makeyourself
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I don't see any other relevant thread.
Basically I was wondering if it was possible to translate my name into Hiragana? Or is it not possible to translate an arabic name? I had some idea of how to write it through Google Searching, but I can't exactly explain how I did it, nor do I think it's right.

To pronounce my name, "Umair":
It uses a "oo" sound (oo as in foot rather than boot, but doesn't really matter, I'm not picky)
And a "mare" sound (mare is in hair with an m instead of a h)
If this possible, thanks a lot!

EDIT: I came up with:
makeyourself is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
song, translation