AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-05-27, 19:15   Link #81
Deryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Is it here? Is it finally here? Long awaited shipping skirmish war!? I am ready!

ONWARD!! For Sigmar ... urm... Sheryl... ...

We need a rallying cry...

- Tak
Let's hope it goes better than the Sheryl/Ranka war, which as you mentioned on a previous thread, shut down the romance thread. Twice.
Deryns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 19:21   Link #82
magnuskn

"Evil Series"? Gee, talk about subtle. ^^
Old 2016-05-27, 20:30   Link #83
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
Let's hope it goes better than the Sheryl/Ranka war, which as you mentioned on a previous thread, shut down the romance thread. Twice.
Well Tak does have his own corner of the forum where such "battles" can occur!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 22:51   Link #84
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Well Tak does have his own corner of the forum where such "battles" can occur!

The Glorious Asylum
, endorsed by mods, serving the community since 20xx!

Yes, we are the romance forum until further notice.

- Tak (Great, I now know what infamy feels like)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-27, 22:58   Link #85
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Interestingly enough it seems the YF-29 and the YF-30 with its descendant the VF-31 possibly managed to tap into sub-space for power with Fold Quartz and Fold Receptors without Super Dimension Organs. The Protoculture's mistake was making it organic allowing energy beings in.
Wait until someone taps into that and creates the next Macross Story- now featuring an energy being trapped in a Valkyrie.
Old 2016-05-28, 00:48   Link #86
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Wait until someone taps into that and creates the next Macross Story- now featuring an energy being trapped in a Valkyrie.
That is going to be a weird triangle. A pilot, a Valkyrie and a singer.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 01:00   Link #87
Tak

Quote:
That is going to be a weird triangle. A pilot, a Valkyrie and a singer.
You meant to tell me that wasn't the triangle in Frontier?

Wasn't it Alto, Valkyrie and Sheryl? Whos Ranka?

- Tak (Siri doesn't count)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2016-05-28 at 01:16.
Old 2016-05-28, 15:34   Link #88
Thess

Who even cares about romance in Delta? Mirage's and Hayate's relationship is boring as hell, I reckon the mercat has more chemistry with him than Mirage, while Hayate's and Freyja's perfect without forcing romance to ruin it.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 15:40   Link #89
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Who even cares about romance in Delta?
Let's get back to that in a few weeks' time. You'll see there'll be plenty of people...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 15:54   Link #90
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Let's get back to that in a few weeks' time. You'll see there'll be plenty of people...
Delta isn't like Frontier which had nothing for it except for the triangle drama and awesome music sequences. There's far more interesting plot related stuff and world building that shouldn't be put aside for the sake of forced romance. It's honestly hard to see the 'main triangle' happening when one side has a boring and dry dynamic and the other side has an engaging one that doesn't need to be romantic to work.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-05-28, 16:41   Link #91
magnuskn

Yeah, again, not really. Frontier had a pretty decent plot.
Old 2016-05-28, 18:51   Link #92
Thess

The movies maybe. But the plot of Frontier didn't even progress until the second half. Before that was all about high school antics and romantic drama. It was "Macross in High School". I love Frontier, but that was what it amounted until Ranka was hired by the government and Grace started to show her true colors.

Old 2016-05-28, 19:11   Link #93
magnuskn

Wrong again. Plots set out in just the first eight episodes of Frontier, which have nothing to do with romance and high-school:

- What are the Vajra and why are they attacking Frontier?
- What happened to Macross Galaxy?
- What happened to Ranka in relation to her past on the 117th Exploration Fleet?
- Who is that mysterious pilot? (It's Banana)
- Ranka trying to be a singer
- Sheryl spending her time on Frontier before her final concert (which, grantedly, resulted in her getting to know Alto and flirting with him), resulting in her staying on Frontier
- Alto getting into SMS to protect Ranka (and Frontier)

Please don't try to tear down Frontier because you want to prop up Delta.
Old 2016-05-28, 19:43   Link #94
Thess

Eh, there were entire episodes focused on chasing after Sheryl's panties and Ranka feeling jealous and emo because of Alto and Sheryl. There were plot elements but they were like footnotes and the main focus was high school stuff and the romance. It's not bad, it's the way the show built up. Only in the 3/4 part, the show focused on some serious war plot.

I feel like the plot in frontier was just in the background of the character relationship and served only to provoke shocking twists in their romantic life. While Delta feels the opposite. The plot is on foreground and any romance is secondary or tertiary. It's not 'tearing down Frontier', but it's being sincere that the story was Macross in High School. I mean, they even attended there in some scenes, for Christ's sake. I still enjoyed it more than Seven and Zero which had more 'plot' in front. You're misunderstanding me. The strength of Frontier was the triangle tension and the music industry (thanks to May'n and Kanno, mostly), but not its plot. Delta puts more plot elements and world building, then music industry, then, at last, the triangle.

Old 2016-05-28, 20:02   Link #95
Tak

Frontier gave us a multi-dimensional character that is Sheryl Nome, and someone who wasn't an archetype like most anime-characters in existence during the show's airing. I've not seen a character struggle so hard only to rise above the rest and succeed.

It was pretty much her show, and she was one of the major reasons to watch it.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2016-05-28 at 20:25.
Old 2016-05-28, 20:16   Link #96
Thess

Quote:
Frontier gave us a multi-dimensional character that is Sheryl Nome, and someone who wasn't an archetype like most anime-characters in existence during the show's airing. I've not seen a character struggle so hard only to rise above the rest and succeed .

It was pretty much her show, and she was one of the major reasons to watch it.

- Tak
I agree with this. But, Sheryl being awesome aside, it was mostly romance-focused show (with music industry too getting focus). Such thing isn't the main draw of Delta, IMO. Even the music industry is militarized since the beginning.

Old 2016-05-28, 20:31   Link #97
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I agree with this. But, Sheryl being awesome aside, it was mostly romance-focused show (with music industry too getting focus). Such thing isn't the main draw of Delta, IMO. Even the music industry is militarized since the beginning.
Well yes, I mentioned it earlier, Frontier is soapy, Delta is a dummy's guide to the Macross world. Apples & peaches.

Though in terms of Frontier's world view vs Delta's? The music industry in both are militarized. Frontier is not exempt from this. Sheryl is used to rally troops and encourage enlistment. Frontier pretty much confirmed that within the Macross world, kids are encouraged to be trained as a pilot as soon as opportunities allow and music, as per Macross tradition, is a weapon.

Oh yeah, the NUN is a very militarized society.

- Tak

Old 2016-05-28, 22:37   Link #98
Thess

Quote:
Though in terms of Frontier's world view vs Delta's? The music industry in both are militarized. Frontier is not exempt from this. Sheryl is used to rally troops and encourage enlistment. Frontier pretty much confirmed that within the Macross world, kids are encouraged to be trained as a pilot as soon as opportunities allow and music, as per Macross tradition, is a weapon.
I think Frontier showed more insight into the music industry in general, not just the military angle. Sheryl was an idol first, then became part of the military mess, same with Ranka too. While Walkure are a tactical unit from the get go, and the idol aspect is secondary.

Old 2016-05-28, 22:47   Link #99
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Well yes, I mentioned it earlier, Frontier is soapy, Delta is a dummy's guide to the Macross world. Apples & peaches.

Oh yeah, the NUN is a very militarized society.

- Tak
You have to remember though piloting a VF is akin to driving a car in some parts of the galaxy.

Post Space War 1 forced Earthers to grow up faster in terms of independence.

Also note with Voldor military spending props up the economy.

Macross 29 in 2062 had an economic recession for its no military pacifist stance. The Neo Zentran party rose up to challenge the current administration in elections.

Backwater colony Veil in Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me was facing economic hardship as Barnasium Ore had run out to mine. It didn't look like to have a military either.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 00:17   Link #100
Tak

Quote:
You have to remember though piloting a VF is akin to driving a car in some parts of the galaxy.
Ya talking to Thess or me? Because I know that perfectly.

- Tak