AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Delta - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 6 21.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 46.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 3.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-05-29, 18:11   Link #21
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Frejya is the singer, Mirage & Hayate are her exclusive stage dancers...

Thats the triangle...

- Tak
I was thinking about that.

Kaname x Messer x Keith for main triangle, please.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 18:44   Link #22
Dash_Hunter

Awesome episode and awesome dogfights, and some exposition too.

I like Messer's character so it's great to see him getting development and show some of his past, but at the same I have the feeling that we'll get another Michael Blanc situation (the fact that his merchandise like his VF-31 model or his mecha collection model are the last to come out even after the Elysion is not reassuring ), the only reason I can see Messer surviving a bit longer is because without him Keith would easily take down most of Delta squad.

It was also good to see Mirage and Hayate growing closer even if it freaked out Freyja, but that was mostly because of the bridge bunnies and their rumors, but with this I think we can finally say that the main love triangle has started, and with it new shipping wars (apparently some japanese message boards have become a battle ground already haha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoW013 View Post
Also I didn't know the var'ed people gain more muscle but Messer keep control of himself, does he feels love or admiration/respect for Kaname? Because looks like next episode will be Messer & Kaname.
Well think about it this way, we know thanks to Makina, that walkure's songs against the var don't work if they aren't live, yet Messer has just that one song recorded on his bracelet and he always does that gesture with his hand before going out on sortie, so yeah I think there might be some feelings involved.
Old 2016-05-29, 18:58   Link #23
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
She probably had a crappy manager pre-Walkure and never got a catchy song to sing until she joined Chaos. She's my favorite Walkure personally.
While I agree about crappy manager, that song on Messer bracelet sounded pretty awesome if you ask me.
Old 2016-05-29, 19:11   Link #24
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
While I agree about crappy manager, that song on Messer bracelet sounded pretty awesome if you ask me.
That's a Walküre song, though, not one from her pre-Walküre days. She used to be the "ace" of the group until Mikumo steamrolled her.

Edit: not to mention, it's probably not a case of a crappy manager, but more like Kaname just plain not being star material, which she pretty much acknowledges in this episode. She does well in a group, and obviously she does a good job managing them as leader/manager, but compared to someone like Mikumo she has no chance. (Mikumo also has a lot more dominant and assertive personality, and might very well be mistaken for the actual leader.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2016-05-29 at 19:31.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 20:07   Link #25
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If they don't see it react, they wouldn't have any reasons to think it's more than a random purple necklace. It's not like fold quartz is the only purple gem out there.
They do have objective methods of measuring Fold Resonance... I just don't see why they'd do it without accounting for all variables, such as what a person is wearing. After all, when you get a physical, they don't measure your height and weight while you're wearing your steel-toed boots. They know that some physical items can manipulate Fold Waves, they should know to account for the necklace when they see it.

shrug

Alternatively, the necklace is a red herring and Hayate really is sensitive to Fold Waves on his own, leading right back to the Son of Basara theories.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 20:20   Link #26
Tenzen12

I think it's later. Let's be honest if all that was needed to protect own self against var were piece of rock (no matter how rare), Delta squadron would be already equipped with it. Or at least Messer would considering his circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
That's a Walküre song, though, not one from her pre-Walküre days. She used to be the "ace" of the group until Mikumo steamrolled her.

Edit: not to mention, it's probably not a case of a crappy manager, but more like Kaname just plain not being star material, which she pretty much acknowledges in this episode. She does well in a group, and obviously she does a good job managing them as leader/manager, but compared to someone like Mikumo she has no chance. (Mikumo also has a lot more dominant and assertive personality, and might very well be mistaken for the actual leader.)
Was it? I didn't heard any other singer there. Though it would make more sense for Messer being saved by Kaname as Valkure than as mere idol. So you might be right after all.

As for her talent, no matte what she acknowledge, she is more star material than Minmey, Ranka or Freya ever was. This crap is obviously result of her ex manager brainwashing her (you don't need do that much to cause few psychological complexes) to cover own incompetence

Mikumo, Sheryl and Basara are obviously category on their own (though Basara might never become popular either if not for protodevilns).
Old 2016-05-29, 20:58   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Mikumo, Sheryl and Basara are obviously category on their own (though Basara might never become popular either if not for protodevilns).
Huh? Weren’t Basara & Fire Bomber already a popular band with a lot of fans even before the Protodeviln appeared? I mean, they were already preparing for and doing a concert in episode 1 with a lot of people waiting IIRC.
Old 2016-05-29, 21:02   Link #28
Tenzen12

They were doing concert in first episode, but there wasn't much people and half of them wasn't even interested.

I watched it two weeks ago BTW.
Old 2016-05-29, 21:13   Link #29
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Basara was a semi-street performer whose initial goal was to be like Minmei, using music to change war. He jumped at the first opportunity when Varauta invaded. Prior to that though, he was no more than a small local gig.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 21:15   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
They were doing concert in first episode, but there wasn't much people and half of them wasn't even interested.

I watched it two weeks ago BTW.
Really? Oh well, my memory’s a bit hazy, so I’ll take your word for it. At least Fire Bomber was popular enough pre-protodeviln that the band grabbed Mylene’s attention enough to join them .
Old 2016-05-29, 21:21   Link #31
charles883

Also I think Kaname lack of popularity is most likely due to her mostly overshadowed by Ranka, Sheryl and Mina popularity and achivement due to they saving the galaxy by their song from past incident like Galaxy conspiracy and Havamal conspiracy
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 21:29   Link #32
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Really? Oh well, my memory’s a bit hazy, so I’ll take your word for it. At least Fire Bomber was popular enough pre-protodeviln that the band grabbed Mylene’s attention enough to join them .
Well Mylene weren't exactly enthusiastic about Bassara either, I guess she would join any band with open spot...

I think it was Ray who brought her in.
Old 2016-05-29, 22:03   Link #33
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Alternatively, the necklace is a red herring and Hayate really is sensitive to Fold Waves on his own, leading right back to the Son of Basara theories.
We see the pendant reacting. Besides the thing has been too conspicuous since the beginning to be a redherring.

I'm pretty sure the others just haven't realized it's more than a random pendant yet. They will find out soon enough.

Quote:
I think it's later. Let's be honest if all that was needed to protect own self against var were piece of rock (no matter how rare), Delta squadron would be already equipped with it. Or at least Messer would considering his circumstances.
The little trinket alone is probably useless. It becomes useful when connected to Freyja's song. In fact, I don't think it has been shown active without Freyja's song even once.
Old 2016-05-29, 22:38   Link #34
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The little trinket alone is probably useless. It becomes useful when connected to Freyja's song. In fact, I don't think it has been shown active without Freyja's song even once.
That is pretty much a given, though may not be keyed to Freyja alone; Freyja might just be the strongest transmitter on the emotional wavelength that Hayate is tuned to. (Unless it's a 'destiny' thing, what with it being an object of power and mysterious origins possessed by the protagonist. It's a tossup between 'destiny' and 'genius' for the things that most often say 'this person matters' in anime/manga, and i'm guessing we'll find that Hayate has both in spades, given some of Arad's offhand remarks after seeing Hayate ride the wind.)

Heh... poor Chuck and Mirage; neither of them are aces and they don't even have dedicated muses to sing them into battle. Mikumo is Mikumo and Reina and Makina are clearly singing for each other. They may be right to be worried about the Var.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 22:44   Link #35
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Heh... poor Chuck and Mirage; neither of them are aces and they don't even have dedicated muses to sing them into battle. Mikumo is Mikumo and Reina and Makina are clearly singing for each other. They may be right to be worried about the Var.
It's one of those "We don't have your plot armor" moments.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-29, 23:40   Link #36
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Maybe Mirage needs to call her aunt Emilia for some help on that singing .
Old 2016-05-30, 03:10   Link #37
kuromitsu

Quote:
Was it? I didn't heard any other singer there. Though it would make more sense for Messer being saved by Kaname as Valkure than as mere idol. So you might be right after all.
It's not my speculation, that's what she tells Mirage.
"The song 'Axia' - it's your song, right?"
"Oh, that... it's a song from when I was the 'ace', before Mikumo came. ... This song is the last one I sung as Walküre's ace."

As for why you didn't hear others in it, even currently they have Mikumo or Freyja songs where they sing as lead singer and the others sing as a background choir.

Quote:
As for her talent, no matte what she acknowledge, she is more star material than Minmey, Ranka or Freya ever was. This crap is obviously result of her ex manager brainwashing her (you don't need do that much to cause few psychological complexes) to cover own incompetence
Where are you even getting this from? (Also, did you really have to bash characters who are not even relevant here? Also, Minmay? Seriously?) Kaname is no star material, she acknowledges it herself, it's further implied in the show (Mirage didn't even recognize the song, which she should have even if it came out before she joined the Delta Squadron which means that Walküre didn't make it big until Mikumo joined), and it's really really obvious when you compare her to Mikumo or, yes, Freyja. She's cute and she sings well but you need more than that to be a star, and Kaname didn't have the charisma or talent to make it big on her own. And that's OK, no character needs to be a superstar to be likeable. Kaname says that she thinks she's more suited to be the leader and pull everyone along (something that Mikumo would be absolute crap at), which is no small feat.
Old 2016-05-30, 03:37   Link #38
Tenzen12

Well just because character say something itself it doesn't mean he/she is right. And yes Minmey was completely random girl who couldn't even sing half as well (same goes for Ranja on that matter). Kaname has both charisma and talent. She is also very good leader. Her flaw is just lack of self-confidence.
Old 2016-05-30, 04:06   Link #39
kuromitsu

So basically "I like her so she must be better than all those characters I don't like!" Well, feel free to ignore the show's characterization and believe in stuff you made up in your head...

(Also, really, Minmay? You'd better let Kawamori know that he's been wrong about his own show all this time... )
Old 2016-05-30, 04:22   Link #40
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Well just because character say something itself it doesn't mean he/she is right. And yes Minmey was completely random girl who couldn't even sing half as well (same goes for Ranja on that matter). Kaname has both charisma and talent. She is also very good leader. Her flaw is just lack of self-confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
So basically "I like her so she must be better than all those characters I don't like!" Well, feel free to ignore the show's characterization and believe in stuff you made up in your head...

(Also, really, Minmay? You'd better let Kawamori know that he's been wrong about his own show all this time... )
Yeah, why is there a need to bash something (or someone) else to prop up what you're defending? I never did understand that concept. And, really, Minmay?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote