AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-20, 02:33   Link #61
Kazu-kun

These posts are a bit old, but I wanted to clarify some misconceptions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Finally, SP was made by a women, true, howeever it was aimed at men. Yuri in Japan is 99% aimed at men, where yuri love among girls is actually lower than the guys.
Wrong! Unlike BL (Yaoi/shounen-ai), which is primarily published in female-targeted magazines and labels, yuri is equally popular in publications from both demographics: there's as much yuri from female-targeted publications (shoujo/josei) as from male-targeted ones (shounen/seinen).

Quote:
In Japan girls tend to go more for the Yaoi/shounen-ai stories more than the yuri.
Although it's true that Japanese girls like BL stories more than yuri ones, according to Seitaro Nakamura, editor in chief of Yuri Hime, Japanese girls like yuri as much as (if not more than) guys do; Yuri Hime's readership, for example, is 70% female.
Quote:
Yuri = Lesbian
Yaoi = Gay
Shojo-ai = Girl love (almost Yuri, but not quite)
Shonen-ai - Boy love (almost Yaoi, but not quite)
All this is just American terminology. For example shojo-ai is not used in Japan with this meaning; they use the term yuri for everything, from stories depicting strong emotional connection such as Maria-sama ga Miteru, to more explicit romances like Strawberry Panic.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2008-03-20 at 02:59.
Old 2008-03-20, 04:00   Link #62
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Wrong! Unlike BL (Yaoi/shounen-ai), which is primarily published in female-targeted magazines and labels, yuri is equally popular in publications from both demographics: there's as much yuri from female-targeted publications (shoujo/josei) as from male-targeted ones (shounen/seinen).
Thats why i said 99% and not ALL. Yuri for the most part is aimed at men, but there are some aimed at women. And i got that fropm someone who works in the japanese publishing, so i think they would know.

Quote:
Although it's true that Japanese girls like BL stories more than yuri ones, according to Seitaro Nakamura, editor in chief of Yuri Hime, Japanese girls like yuri as much as (if not more than) guys do; Yuri Hime's readership, for example, is 70% female.
I never said they didn't like yuri. What i saids was they prefered BL, and that is FACT. The yuri market in japan is over 80% male, compared to the Yaoi being 92% female. Again given from a publisher in japan.

And yes it is american terminology, but it's still valid terminology. The Us isnt Japan, and Japan isnt the US. Although both shojo-ai and shonen-ai are being used these days as demographics in japan aswell.

All that said, if you want to carry on debating terminology and demographics, amke a new post. This is derailing the SP thread more and more
Old 2008-03-20, 04:36   Link #63
Matt122005

Um, I just became a review for Lightnovel.org and two of my reviews are going up. How do I know in the future about how to tell a publisher I'll review their book?

-Matt
Old 2008-03-20, 06:42   Link #64
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Thats why i said 99% and not ALL. Yuri for the most part is aimed at men, but there are some aimed at women. And i got that fropm someone who works in the japanese publishing, so i think they would know.

I never said they didn't like yuri. What i saids was they prefered BL, and that is FACT. The yuri market in japan is over 80% male, compared to the Yaoi being 92% female. Again given from a publisher in japan.
First you said 99, now you say 80. It doesn't matter though, as this Japanese publisher of yours don't really now what they're talking about. Going by Seitaro Nakamura's comments about the yuri market in Japan, I don't think it is even over 60% male.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2008-03-20 at 06:54.
Old 2008-03-20, 19:59   Link #65
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Um, I just became a review for Lightnovel.org and two of my reviews are going up. How do I know in the future about how to tell a publisher I'll review their book?

-Matt
You don't. They come to you. They usually hear about people reviewing their stuff and come have a look and if they like what they see they may send you some stuff. Others, such as Del Rey/Tanoshimi only have a few full time reviewers, the rest are open competitions where fans can sign up and get picked at random. Though the chances of getting picked more than once are slim.

Seven Seas did a competition on their site for the SP light novels and picked reviews from the entries.

In short, just keep writing, but also be active on the publishers sites/forums.

@Kazu - whatever, i can't be bothered to argue with you about it, since frankly i don't give a rats behind. If you want to talk about it properly, open a thread and i will. otherwise i just wont bother anymore. lets stop derailing the thread okay.

Last edited by Tiamat's Disciple; 2008-03-20 at 20:37.
Old 2008-03-20, 23:12   Link #66
Kazu-kun

Quote:
@Kazu - whatever, i can't be bothered to argue with you about it, since frankly i don't give a rats behind. If you want to talk about it properly, open a thread and i will. otherwise i just wont bother anymore. lets stop derailing the thread okay.
Yeah, it's not really worth discussing anyway.

On a more on-topic note... I have never watched or read anything of Strawberry Panic!; the character designs are totally unappealing to me. But since I don't have too much to watch or read at the moment, I was considering to give it shot. So, what should I start with? The anime, the manga, or the light novel?
Old 2008-03-21, 04:28   Link #67
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah, it's not really worth discussing anyway.

On a more on-topic note... I have never watched or read anything of Strawberry Panic!; the character designs are totally unappealing to me. But since I don't have too much to watch or read at the moment, I was considering to give it shot. So, what should I start with? The anime, the manga, or the light novel?
Well I didn't even know there was a light novel so can't comment on that. The anime and the manga are vastly different. The anime is more of that MareMite typa thing, but with actual relationship. It's also very shoujo-ish. Though I never mind some shoujo this feels like that overcliched type next to the fact everyone is female. Though it isn't a bad watch and it has yuri! There aren't much yuri anime and this is one of the better ones. Unlike MareMite there actually is an physical relationship.

The Manga is just made out of plain win. This actually has the shounen-ish feel to it and the jokes are hilarious and it doesn't try to take it self too serious.

I say just try both since they are pretty different anyway.

Hmm, but what to start to with. Go for the anime first since that's completed anyhow and reading the manga first will only make you think that the manga is better.

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2008-03-21 at 04:40.
Old 2008-03-21, 10:47   Link #68
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

The manga is complete

Volume 3 of the manga is on hiatus with no release date in japan yet. So all two vols are currently available.

The LN is what started it all, both the manga and anime are adaptions of it. As for where to start, IMO the manga, the anime has to many flaws in it.
Old 2008-03-21, 12:51   Link #69
Kazu-kun

Quote:
The LN is what started it all, both the manga and anime are adaptions of it. As for where to start, IMO the manga, the anime has to many flaws in it.
Actually, the manga started serialization (2005) before the first light novel was published (2006). But what started it all was a series of short stories under the reader participation project of Dengeki G's Magazine (2003).

But anyway. I think I'll read a bit of the manga first, and If I like it, I'll try the other media too. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 2008-03-25, 01:18   Link #70
Nya_Chan
Proud Fujoshi

I have read only volume 1 and I say it's great.

But I watched the anime and it's almost totally different. '-'
Old 2008-03-25, 01:26   Link #71
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Well, considering they only had three volumes of material for the anime, it's a given they would pull it out of their arse, so to speak >.<
Old 2008-03-25, 06:39   Link #72
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Well, considering they only had three volumes of material for the anime, it's a given they would pull it out of their arse, so to speak >.<
Even the start was different though. o_O
Closed Thread

Tags
dengeki bunko, light novels, seinen, yuri