AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-11-08, 20:06   Link #7041
Kylon99

guro, maybe you could use Translation Aggregator to help you look up the Japanese faster. The instructions are in my signature link.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 00:34   Link #7042
guro
I like ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
guro, maybe you could use Translation Aggregator to help you look up the Japanese faster. The instructions are in my signature link.
Omg! Thank you!
guro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 07:05   Link #7043
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
The story was published in 2005 just a short while before Higurashi was finsished and it only consists of two chapters. Well, published is a relative term. He made it into FAUST, an irregular Kodansha magazine which gives young pop-authors from the light novel and visual novel area a place to write, as well as releasing some more otaku'ish works of Mephisto winners like Nishio Isshin.
Kaidan to odorô soshite anata wa kaidan de odoru was never published outside of FAUST magazine (very few of those stories are) and it was more of an experiment than anything else.

But yes, he admitted himself that his wordiness is one of his biggest flaws and he hoped that it would be one he would learn to handle when writing short stories. Higanbana dares to imply he failed I think...
While he is definitely wordy, this is something which is not really a unique problem to him. Most Japanese authors, are, by western standards, "wordy". Japanese is a language where sentence length is essentially unbounded. You can have sentences which go on pages, though abusive use of 〜て and other verb endings. This problem is compounded in classical Japanese by the use of the form 〜たり as a normal verb ending rather than a set phrase, and its sole purpose is to allow the author to make sentences as long as possible. The fact that it was reduced in usage for modern Japanese is some consolation, but its still easy to get a Japanese sentence to seem like a paragraph if not a novel. The Tale of Genji makes Ryukishi's wordiness almost seem non-existent.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 10:08   Link #7044
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
The fact that it was reduced in usage for modern Japanese is some consolation, but its still easy to get a Japanese sentence to seem like a paragraph if not a novel. The Tale of Genji makes Ryukishi's wordiness almost seem non-existent.
That's not really the same thing though. What we're talking about is Ryuukishi's tendency to explain things two or three times in different ways, even when the original explanation was adequate. It's more the redundancy than the word count.
Old 2011-11-09, 11:55   Link #7045
maximilianjenus
[E]

I boiled some eggs, because the eggs needed to be boiled as boiled eggs are needed i ahd to boil some egg, i spent some time in the process of boiling eggs, beasue for eggs to eb edible they have to be boiled, i can eat them raw so i guess they can still be edible even when not boiled, but I boiled them anyway, I heated water and put eggs in it, I put eggs in heated water, the water was hot because i want to boil eggs in it, the water was hot enoguh so that you could boil something on it, like eggs, i boiled some eggs in hot water, in hot water I boiled some eggs, the eggs boiled because the water was hot, it was hot enough to boil eggs, I boiled some eggs, then walked to the breakfast table.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 14:24   Link #7046
aiman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I boiled some eggs, because the eggs needed to be boiled as boiled eggs are needed i ahd to boil some egg, i spent some time in the process of boiling eggs, beasue for eggs to eb edible they have to be boiled, i can eat them raw so i guess they can still be edible even when not boiled, but I boiled them anyway, I heated water and put eggs in it, I put eggs in heated water, the water was hot because i want to boil eggs in it, the water was hot enoguh so that you could boil something on it, like eggs, i boiled some eggs in hot water, in hot water I boiled some eggs, the eggs boiled because the water was hot, it was hot enough to boil eggs, I boiled some eggs, then walked to the breakfast table.
hah, it's not thaaaat bad, but haha..

what i dislike is, that sometimes these explanations come back later in another chapter or episode.
aiman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:10   Link #7047
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

At least he doesn't explain the story after we've figured it out by summing up our discussions about it like some authors
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:13   Link #7048
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbazabba905 View Post
At least he doesn't explain the story after we've figured it out by summing up our discussions about it like some authors
I find those useful But then again I don't really follow the fanbase.

Ryukishi is quite redundant though.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:27   Link #7049
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

The redundancy are probably important... This was my first "mystery" not counting what little mystery is in certain acronymically titled TV shows that may or may not be on TV, but it seems like a clumsy slight of hand trick, saying "look over here, look over here, LOOK DAMNIT!" to hide their comparatively subtle hidden clues
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 14:53   Link #7050
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

I dunno, I can't really see the need to repeat 'Ep 6 Beato is like a chick' (and that's just one example) twelve million times by twelve million characters (who somehow see things in the exact same way despite different circumstances and upbringing).
Old 2011-11-10, 18:44   Link #7051
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
By the way, ITH is now recommended over AGTH.
Old 2011-11-11, 04:12   Link #7052
st_nick5

50% complete
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 23:19   Link #7053
cattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
While I only really skim these forums, I feel like the comments are something like this,
10% complaining and bitching
20% witch hunt news
30% defenders of witch-hunt
30% general comments of thanks
20% misc questions or corrections
Disclaimer: These percentages have no actual value and are completely made up by me, use only as a rough estimate of how I myself see this thread

At least to me who skims the forums, there are at least 3 times the amount of people who go into walls of text defending witch-hunt from flamers and impatience while the rest are nothing but positive or constructive. Almost every post I read here holds WH in nothing but respect
now to finish with the trademarked
What % check the news on witch hunt, see no progress in the 6 months or so since last checked, browse the forums for information why, see nothing but pages of the same 2-5 people holding conversations between themselves about random stuff that doesn't relate to the translation, then "usually" just roll their eyes, sigh, and move along.

"Some people" just want to know what's going on with the project, rather then people using the thread as a chat about their preference for authors and eggs..
cattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 06:12   Link #7054
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattz View Post
What % check the news on witch hunt, see no progress in the 6 months or so since last checked, browse the forums for information why, see nothing but pages of the same 2-5 people holding conversations between themselves about random stuff that doesn't relate to the translation, then "usually" just roll their eyes, sigh, and move along.

"Some people" just want to know what's going on with the project, rather then people using the thread as a chat about their preference for authors and eggs..
... There has been progress in the last 6 months. The second half of the patch is at 50% now.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:10   Link #7055
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
... There has been progress in the last 6 months. The second half of the patch is at 50% now.
For some people, 'progress' means that they actually get to play something. Well, Episode 8 has been 75% translated, which I'd call good progress.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:37   Link #7056
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattz View Post

By Witch-Hunt news I really mean any posts by Klashi or Chrono, theyr fairly active on the forum and at least for me hearing words from Witch-Hunt members lets me know that they havnt disappeared into thin air like a lot of translaters who get bored of their projects

lol at the preference about eggs though, I hope you got the point of the boiled eggs comment and not just thinking it was someone who was describing their breakfast
Old 2011-11-13, 16:01   Link #7057
LawfulNuetral
Probatio Diabolica

I just wanna voice my thanks to those involved in the translation of Umineko. Please don't get discouraged by any ungrateful people. Keep up the good work!
LawfulNuetral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 23:23   Link #7058
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
For some people, 'progress' means that they actually get to play something. Well, Episode 8 has been 75% translated, which I'd call good progress.
Still waiting on you guys too hehe. But from the preview I've seen so far, it makes me want to start reading Higanbana right away as much as I want to finish Ep. 8.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 20:38   Link #7059
chickenchaser

Umm, how do I say this without looking like a tool...so I downloaded the japanese version of the game and when the files were extracted via 7-zip (winrar)...well, I can't find them! I don't even know the name of the files. Does anybody have a clue to what the file names are? Please help.
chickenchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 21:10   Link #7060
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
You probably should have checked where you were extracting the files. Otherwise there's not much we can do for you.

Tags
translation