AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-08-26, 06:49   Link #1201
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
So the FA RX78-7 is bundle exclusive?

I'm not very amused by that. Since that's like an upgrade for the main character's Gundam.

I already have a freaking PS3 I'm not gona buy a bundle just so that I can get what I'm suppose to have in that game! God dam it bandai!
The RX-78-7 Full Armor will be available as a HGUC kit come September. It looks pretty decent as well.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 09:20   Link #1202
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
The RX-78-7 Full Armor will be available as a HGUC kit come September. It looks pretty decent as well.
You mean the kit would let me unlock the Gundam in the game.

Or is this a joke?
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 09:39   Link #1203
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
You mean the kit would let me unlock the Gundam in the game.

Or is this a joke?
No... Hold on. I took your original post to mean that you want the RX-78-7 as a model as well... My mistake.

As for the download code, my gut feeling is that the Model 7 will be an unlockable within the game for everyone, but the code just lets you release it immediately so it shows up in your inventory instead of having to jump through hoops first. Makes more sense than giving you an update patch.

Old 2009-08-26, 15:09   Link #1204
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Quote:
No... Hold on. I took your original post to mean that you want the RX-78-7 as a model as well... My mistake.

As for the download code, my gut feeling is that the Model 7 will be an unlockable within the game for everyone, but the code just lets you release it immediately so it shows up in your inventory instead of having to jump through hoops first. Makes more sense than giving you an update patch.
I'm hoping that the HGUC Rx-78-7 would come with the download code as well, it can be another way to lure to people to spend more money on Bandai merchandises. In my case I want to get an American PS3 because of warranty issues so I definitely hope that there are other ways to unlock the full armor without having to buy the bundle.
Old 2009-08-29, 00:57   Link #1205
Oppius
Banned

When playing SD Gundam G Generation Wars(PS2), I think "why they don't release this game in English instead?". While I think it is impossible but many Gundam games released in English are just some stupid 2d fighting and hack-and-slach action games, no turn-based strategy games.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 04:10   Link #1206
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
When playing SD Gundam G Generation Wars(PS2), I think "why they don't release this game in English instead?". While I think it is impossible but many Gundam games released in English are just some stupid 2d fighting and hack-and-slach action games, no turn-based strategy games.
Name one Turn Based Strategy game that has ever sold well here besides Fire Emblem and then you'll know why. Even Square's Front Mission was a bust. I think your average persons interest in Japanese style gaming pretty much ends at the console RPG. Just as First Person Shooters are struggling to catch on in Japan, TBS is a pretty foreign concept over here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 06:04   Link #1207
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Name one Turn Based Strategy game that has ever sold well here besides Fire Emblem and then you'll know why.
Advance Wars does very well here (in fact they almost always release them here first) as does Final Fantasy Tactics... Other thanthat Disgaea seems to do decently enough since they keep releasing them.

I guess we wouldn't know exactly how well they'd do until they try. Even Fire Emblem was thought to be unpopular until they actually released it. It's more a question of whether Bandai is willing to risk it, and the high licensing cost.
Old 2009-09-04, 07:33   Link #1208
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Just as First Person Shooters are struggling to catch on in Japan, TBS is a pretty foreign concept over here.
Well now, that is not really true

Remember X-Com, anyone? Yeah? But as Bright pointed out, Advanced War did very well here. Although games like Super Robot Wars probably won't make it here due to licensing issues. *sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 11:33   Link #1209
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Wasn't sure where to place this, but this is a 7-minute OVA made for the upcoming Gundam Senki game:

Badass GM Command Space Type, plus Zeong, Guncannon and of course Gundam is

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 11:41   Link #1210
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Badass GM Command Space Type, plus Zeong, Guncannon and of course Gundam is
Posted this a minute before you in the 30th anni thread.
Old 2009-09-04, 11:50   Link #1211
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Amazing stuff.

I can't remember a time where a GM successfully made use of the shield.

I guess that Guncannon is Hayato.

Amuro seems to have given mercy to the Zaku pilot.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 11:57   Link #1212
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Posted this a minute before you in the 30th anni thread.
So I noticed only after I finished posting

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 21:13   Link #1213
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Oh dear Jesus, I'm only at 4 minutes and the UCepicness is just too much to take in at one time...

This game isn't coming to the US on the 360 is it?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 21:23   Link #1214
Rawinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I guess that Guncannon is Hayato.
Nope, it's the rarely seen third Guncannon, which has only made cameo appearances in the third MSG movie and "Gundam the Ride."
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 22:39   Link #1215
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well now, that is not really true

Remember X-Com, anyone? Yeah? But as Bright pointed out, Advanced War did very well here. Although games like Super Robot Wars probably won't make it here due to licensing issues. *sigh*

- Tak
Funny you should mention X-Com since I'm actually playing that right now. That's a pretty micro managing style of gameplay for how simple it looks on the box, which probably helped it sell and catch on a bit faster than say....Civilization.

Games like these are generally popular among the more hardcore gamer that likes crunching numbers and the feeling of controlling a large scale conflict. Unfortunately your average casual gamer probably doesn't have the time for a game like Gihren's Greed where you manage so much at one time and a turn can last upwards of an hour and a half. Also keep in mind that a fair number of tactics games are basically Fire Emblem clones and that these games have been getting less and less micro-managing oriented as they are being released in the U.S. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Also in my eyes the grand tier of simplified casual to hard core micromanaging level strategy games when it comes to mecha franchises go from simpliest to most complex, Super Robot Wars -> SD Gundam G Generation -> Gihren's Greed.
Old 2009-09-05, 19:34   Link #1216
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Name one Turn Based Strategy game that has ever sold well here besides Fire Emblem and then you'll know why. Even Square's Front Mission was a bust. I think your average persons interest in Japanese style gaming pretty much ends at the console RPG. Just as First Person Shooters are struggling to catch on in Japan, TBS is a pretty foreign concept over here.
It's not so much a foreign concept as it is a game that just doesn't appeal to a lot of gamers over here. We've had a lot of TBS games come over the pond over the years which were great, but not to many caught on. I really think it just isn't what a lot of americans want to play, even though I love them...

Quote:
Games like these are generally popular among the more hardcore gamer that likes crunching numbers and the feeling of controlling a large scale conflict. Unfortunately your average casual gamer probably doesn't have the time for a game like Gihren's Greed where you manage so much at one time and a turn can last upwards of an hour and a half. Also keep in mind that a fair number of tactics games are basically Fire Emblem clones and that these games have been getting less and less micro-managing oriented as they are being released in the U.S. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Also in my eyes the grand tier of simplified casual to hard core micromanaging level strategy games when it comes to mecha franchises go from simpliest to most complex, Super Robot Wars -> SD Gundam G Generation -> Gihren's Greed.
It also doesn't help that Gundam games do terribly in sales in the US. As far as I've seen, only the Gundam fans have any real interest in Gundam games, and since the more recent batch to reach us have been terrible, it's no surprise that we don't get more of them, even the good ones. Given the bad sales, the cost of translating and manufacturing units for the US wouldn't be worth it to the eyes of the japanese companies.

I do agree that the management-heavy TBS games might be a bit much for a lot of people over here. A lot of my friends don't like playing them...

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 22:16   Link #1217
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
I do agree that the management-heavy TBS games might be a bit much for a lot of people over here. A lot of my friends don't like playing them...
Although for some odd reason, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series by Koei is doing, well, quite well here.

And that game is about as complex as you can expect from the grand strategy genre.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-05, 23:07   Link #1218
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Although for some odd reason, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series by Koei is doing, well, quite well here.

And that game is about as complex as you can expect from the grand strategy genre.

- Tak
Different perceptions of the two series, IMHO, being held by the target audience. I myself see the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" title, and the words "big", "epic", "plot-driven" and etc. come up in my head. "Gundam", OTOH, brings up a more action-packed, rock 'em and sock 'em (and etc.) thought instead. The "Gundam vs Gundam" series should go over really well in the West, IMHO - assuming that they can deal with any of the licensing costs for music and such.

In Japan, gaming-wise, you have different styles of games covering the mecha and characters already. On the home front, "Super Robot Taisen" and "Gundam Battline" cover the strategic and mix-match part, and "GvG" covers the fast-paced action one. On the arcade side, you have the dying "Gundam Card Builder" for the first, and "GvG:N" (now) and "Senjou no Kizuna" for the second. Players are, IMHO, already used to different things through exposure.

Old 2009-09-06, 00:21   Link #1219
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Different perceptions of the two series, IMHO, being held by the target audience. I myself see the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" title, and the words "big", "epic", "plot-driven" and etc. come up in my head. "Gundam", OTOH, brings up a more action-packed, rock 'em and sock 'em (and etc.) thought instead. The "Gundam vs Gundam" series should go over really well in the West, IMHO - assuming that they can deal with any of the licensing costs for music and such.

In Japan, gaming-wise, you have different styles of games covering the mecha and characters already. On the home front, "Super Robot Taisen" and "Gundam Battline" cover the strategic and mix-match part, and "GvG" covers the fast-paced action one. On the arcade side, you have the dying "Gundam Card Builder" for the first, and "GvG:N" (now) and "Senjou no Kizuna" for the second. Players are, IMHO, already used to different things through exposure.
Gundam can get pretty operatic at times so I do tend to see that big, epic, plot-driven aspect with it. I get the sense that a majority of people wouldn't though and think it's all just as they say "pewpewpew" lasers. All depends on the context in which you watch it. That makes it a pretty niche series within a niche that is only slowly starting to finish the transition into the mainstream. As you say pretty much only Gundam fans or mecha heads or the curious would ever consider picking it up.
Old 2009-09-06, 00:41   Link #1220
Tak

Hmm, I love games like Gundam SEED Destiny Generation CE, and I am probably one of the few who pretty much beaten Macross: Skull Leader for the PC NEC-98 to death. I guess instinctively, I associate Macross & Gundam on a very grand scale, and thus expect TBS or associated strategy games to be released based on those series.

I suppose that is why I love Super Robot Wars (@3 still the best), and as far as action games go, even Another Century Episode done a great job in conveying that grand epicness.

- Tak