Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-02, 07:34   Link #441
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicxx View Post
Anybody know the level of romance this will have? preferably somebody who read the light novels?
People are not supposed to discuss the novels here. There's another thread just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
A light novel thread for Katanagatari has been created. Please use that thread for any discussion in regards to spoilers and/or any other discussion which requires bringing up of event that are yet to be covered in the anime adaptation. Any spoilers must not be posted or discussed or even hinted at in this thread.
Old 2010-02-02, 13:34   Link #442
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicxx View Post
Anybody know the level of romance this will have? preferably somebody who read the light novels?

I understand that shes like, "love me" but most shows don't even categorize it as a romance anime which means the romance in this show is just going to be a gimmick.

As Daniel says, information from the light novels should be constrained to the light novel thread ---> http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=91018. The thread is spoilerific from the start so don't whine if you find out the climax or ending. I had to avert my eyes on the very first page.

I can say the romance isn't a "gimmick" -- its part of the plot. The author's already shown incredible talent for some sophistication in romantic entanglements (Bakemonogatari). Based on that, I currently think we're not going to get the "usual shonen shouting-posturing bleh".
Old 2010-02-02, 14:24   Link #443
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Mmm that was one of the things that made me enjoy the episode so much...It's certaintly not a standard romance, but I can see it developing quite nicely given the characters involved.

Plus the OP already had me hopeful this wouldn't be a series where the characters don't get together until the very end, but rather one where the relationship establishes itself quickly and takes the its time fully fleshing it out...Can't stand ones where it begins and ends at the "confession".

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 14:51   Link #444
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

One thing that puzzled me at the end of the first episode was when the sun setting on the shuriken inside the Yasuri house.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 14:55   Link #445
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Mmm that was one of the things that made me enjoy the episode so much...It's certaintly not a standard romance, but I can see it developing quite nicely given the characters involved.

Plus the OP already had me hopeful this wouldn't be a series where the characters don't get together until the very end, but rather one where the relationship establishes itself quickly and takes the its time fully fleshing it out...Can't stand ones where it begins and ends at the "confession".
All Adachi stuff (which are marvelous)! But I do share your sentiment on this.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 18:31   Link #446
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

LOL. Sorry, but I can't really agree with the whole 'Bakemonogatari/Katanagatari romance is not a gimmick' talk.

Especially when the girls in those stories just walks up to the protagonist and boldly proclaims their girlfriend status, that is as gimmicky as it can be. I can't fault the great writing that comes after, but come on. The romance just is done in the least natural way possible.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 18:46   Link #447
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

That was....surprisingly good. I ought to thank all the negative comments I read for lowering any expectations I had.
Old 2010-02-02, 19:35   Link #448
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
LOL. Sorry, but I can't really agree with the whole 'Bakemonogatari/Katanagatari romance is not a gimmick' talk.

Especially when the girls in those stories just walks up to the protagonist and boldly proclaims their girlfriend status, that is as gimmicky as it can be. I can't fault the great writing that comes after, but come on. The romance just is done in the least natural way possible.
Sorry.. but .... what? In what case did any girl "just walk up and proclaim"?

In Bakemonogatari, each girl thought about it long and hard, did the analysis, and had a fairly long history with the protagonist.

In Katanagatari, she's on a particular mission but, at least in ep 1 hasn't done anything of the sort.
Old 2010-02-02, 21:11   Link #449
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Hey, anyone know when the ED is coming out? I find it quite awesome.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 21:27   Link #450
sirn
田舎者言うな

ED will come with the first Blu-ray/DVD. Release in April, I think.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 21:34   Link #451
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

OMG! Baby Koumori want cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-02-02, 21:38   Link #452
Sol Falling

I found the basis of Bakemonogatari's romance (or at least Senjougahara's--still don't really know anything about Hanekawa) a bit objectionable myself; the way Senjougahara is used throughout the story, she seemed much less a believable, realistic, relatable person than a fairly sophisticated, but nevertheless still pandering idealized fantasy aimed at a particular type of guy/otaku (which I suppose I won't try to describe here). I think Katanagatari is better though. The point, the vibe I'm getting here, should be that Shichika is not taking 'advantage' of whatever sort of offer Togame seems to be giving but is rather playing along with her out of compassion and kindness. I don't think there is any selfishness, any hint of 'I can use that to get myself a girlfriend out of this' in Shichika. I doubt there is even any sexual anticipation, any expectance or intention to consumnate the 'lovers' part of the equation in him at all. Rather, I think Shichika percieves Togame's desperation, her unwavering need to somehow honour her heritage, that she would even go so far as to depend on the son of her father's murderer, and his pure resulting sentiment is simply 'I want to help her'. It is purely compassion (not in the 'pity' sense)--a true desire to fulfill her deepest need. And I think that's great. Better than the somewhat hypocritical, underlyingly selfish willingness to 'help' a girl whose desperation is for love itself. I really think Katanagatari has the potential to be an amazing love story, beyond the execution.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-02-02 at 21:50.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 23:46   Link #453
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree with Sol.... the naturalness of the relationship development so far has been pretty reasonable. Her out-loud thinking when they first meet just seemed very practical.
Old 2010-02-03, 00:11   Link #454
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

I don't really see why we constantly bring Bakemonogatari up in this thread seeing as it still has very little to do with the subject series.

Don't forget - Shichika has little to no idea about what love actually is. And if you ask me, that's the case with Togame as well. They are much like kids in the dark on this one. Togame is just being practical on the level of "OH LOOK I've come up with a reason, they talk about how love can be motivational this should probably work!".

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2010-02-03 at 03:40.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 00:59   Link #455
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
I don't really see why we constantly bring Bakemonogatari up in this thread seeing as it still has very little to do with the subject series.

Don't forget - Shichika has little to no idea about what love is actually is. And if you ask me, that's the case with Togame as well. They are much like kids in the dark on this one. Togame is just being practical on the level of "OH LOOK I've come up with a reason, they talk about how love can be motivational this should probably work!".
Both series are adapted from novels written by the same author: NisiOisin. His writing style comes across clearly in both series with the entertaining and extensive dialog.

I like the "kids in the dark about how this works" description
Old 2010-02-03, 01:48   Link #456
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sorry.. but .... what? In what case did any girl "just walk up and proclaim"?

In Bakemonogatari, each girl thought about it long and hard, did the analysis, and had a fairly long history with the protagonist.

In Katanagatari, she's on a particular mission but, at least in ep 1 hasn't done anything of the sort.
I'm not saying it is without reasoning, just that it came off as blunt. As blunt as Senjougahara is (always).

Katanagatari was the same thing more or less. Except she proclaimed it as a bit of a power trading that was probably much more frequent in feudal Japanese culture.

Actually, I think that's the hook of these 'romances'. It's just weird especially when they talk so in depth and so matter-of-factly about them. To me, that seems a perfectly way to set up rants and banter. Which is exactly what it did. And that's what strikes me as strange. Romance, according to NisiOisin is something to calmly and openly mull about. That in itself seems laughably unreasonable to me. But of course it works in fiction. Do it as a plot device for all I care.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 09:19   Link #457
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

The official web site now has a villain guide for the first two novels.
First novel features Koumori:

Second novel features the samurai dude whom i've already come to despise.

Also, let's please take a cue from Daniel Lind and drop the Bake subject.
Old 2010-02-03, 09:51   Link #458
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
The official web site now has a villain guide for the first two novels.
First novel features Koumori:

Also, let's please take a cue from Daniel Lind and drop the Bake subject.
Well, both Bake and Katana falls into the same genre so they can be used to compare plotlines. I mean what other series give u the same amount of satire, action and romance.....only Nisio's work fallen into this catagory.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 13:21   Link #459
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Y'know, after the first episode I thought that Togame was an okay character, but now that I saw this one hentai piece on her, I just can't look at her the same way. I guess people can make anything into a hentai. o_o
Old 2010-02-03, 14:19   Link #460
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Well, both Bake and Katana falls into the same genre so they can be used to compare plotlines. I mean what other series give u the same amount of satire, action and romance.....only Nisio's work fallen into this catagory.
Just based on the premise, it reminds me of this show (or was it a manga) that I watched when I was little.

This kid went on a journey to collect magic spheres that he can use to stick it into the hilt of his sword, the spheres are like elemental powers. That's the first impression I get just from watching episode 1.

I think Katana is more refreshing than Bake to be honest. I can't remember from recent years that anyone would go on a journey to collect things (... well there's the Dragonball Kai, but I don't even remember the original plot anymore). I've always enjoyed this element (like collecting all the summons in RPGs etc.) of having a clear purpose, and a clear path of what the story will take (nobody knows what the point of Bake is except just random stories about that one not entirely random guy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Y'know, after the first episode I thought that Togame was an okay character, but now that I saw this one hentai piece on her, I just can't look at her the same way. I guess people can make anything into a hentai. o_o
... this is what I would like to do to you for having dirty images on the white hair princess!

but then there's this

Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy