AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-29, 20:07   Link #221
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Avatar is considered as an Anime? Weird. Anyway I like the original series, it was awesome. The story telling and the characters were great. I hope this one turns out great.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 21:07   Link #222
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No the first two episodes premiered on Korra Nation for a limited time over the weekend. They are no longer up but I believe the official premiere for both episodes is April 14th.

Anyways I don't think Bolin & Mako are too much like Sokka & Zuko. Yes there are some similarities but there are major differences too. For example Mako is way more composed than Zuko could ever hope to be. And I actually think Bolin is a lot more of a confident flirt than Sokka ever was.

I think it is natural to compare these characters to the previous ones a bit but as the series goes on I hope we start to see them as their own characters.
Dang it, I missed the second episode?!?!?! Oh well, just going to have to wait for the 14th then I guess.

I agree with your evaluation of Bolin and Mako though. I would say that compared to Zuko and Sokka, their underlying archetypes are pretty similar, but there are things that make them unique.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:16   Link #223
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Avatar is considered as an Anime? Weird. Anyway I like the original series, it was awesome. The story telling and the characters were great. I hope this one turns out great.
Anime is short for animation anyway so yeah Avatar is anime.

Oh damn I missed the 2nd ep? =__='
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 23:03   Link #224
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Dang it, I missed the second episode?!?!?! Oh well, just going to have to wait for the 14th then I guess.

I agree with your evaluation of Bolin and Mako though. I would say that compared to Zuko and Sokka, their underlying archetypes are pretty similar, but there are things that make them unique.
Wait, why are you talking about Bolin and Mako if you have missed the second episode. As far as I know, they debut in the second episode.

PS: Chief Bei Fang takes the surname of her mother. That's kind of strange.
Old 2012-03-30, 02:24   Link #225
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Parthenogenesis?
Old 2012-03-30, 02:36   Link #226
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Two possibilities: 1) Toph had Lin out of wedlock, and thus had to give her her own family last name since there was no father to be found around 2) considering how in the previous series the Beifong's were considered among the upper crust of society in the Earth Kingdom (In fact, Toph was practicality living as a princess) the man Toph ended up with might have been of a lower social status, so he either took her family name as his own or their offspring took hers.

*posting more detailed impressions later*
Old 2012-03-30, 02:46   Link #227
Blaat

Toph was involved in a Matrilineal marriage to keep the Bei Fang family name alive which is not as uncommon as you might think.
It happens a lot in my Crusader Kings 2 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
Anime is short for animation anyway so yeah Avatar is anime.
By Japanese conventions every thing animated is considered anime, even Tom and Jerry. By Western conventions anime only refers to animation produced in Japan, so Avatar is considered an anime by the former but not the latter.
Old 2012-03-30, 02:59   Link #228
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Avatar is an anime because it's animated in the same place where most anime are, S.Korea

I believe a mod had explained why this thread was here earlier in the thread, so ...

I do wonder who the father was. Going by Toph's tastes, I bet he must have been a total no nonsense rock head who used to live underground with the Badgermoles lol Would make sense why Lin had to take her mothers name, if her grandparents insisted that their heir would at least make the next generation more in line with what they expect going by the Boifong family reputation.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:00   Link #229
Blaat

^I like to believe it was Sokka (he doesn't have a last name) and Suki was fine with it.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:16   Link #230
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

(Geez, you are the third person I hear now that wishes that Sokka ended up with Toph in someway, and the other two had Yue as the second best option. I'm not that well versed into the Avatar shipping community (I mean, I read some threads back in the day on Avatarspirit) but is Suki like the most disliked person to end up with Sokka? poor girl)

I don't think it's going to turn out to be Sokka. I mean I know she had a crush on him and what not, but she was young and to her at that age his stupidity must have had a different sort of charm on her. She grew older and wiser, so she must have found a better option out there.

Like a half-man/Badgermole ...

don't hit, I kid I kid
Old 2012-03-30, 04:15   Link #231
Blaat

The problem with Suki is that she's a two dimensional normal character, I never felt like she was part of the gaang (I was actually surprised to see her in the Korra opening) It's not her fault really, due to time constraint it basically meant they never had the time to flesh her out. Also for your information my second choice for Sokka would be Ty Lee, Yue should stay dead. ;D
Anyway I thought most of the shipping in Avatar consisted "who should Katara end up with: Aang or Zuko".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I don't think it's going to turn out to be Sokka. I mean I know she had a crush on him and what not, but she was young and to her at that age his stupidity must have had a different sort of charm on her. She grew older and wiser, so she must have found a better option out there.

Like a half-man/Badgermole ...
I don't think it's Sokka either, there's no way the series creators are going to mess up with the final pairings. We'll most likely never find out who Toph's husband (if she had one) nor do I expect we'll see the other characters descendants (I hope I'm wrong with this one though)
Old 2012-03-30, 16:23   Link #232
Kirarakim

Just want to say that I am a total Sokka/Suki fan. Maybe not on here but there is no limit to Sokka/Suki fans among the Avatar fandom. Don't count us out. In fact of all the Avatar romances Sokka/Suki was the one I loved the most.

I love Toph, just not with Sokka.
Old 2012-03-30, 16:52   Link #233
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Jet, maybe?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 18:06   Link #234
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Jet, maybe?
People ship Sokka with Jet now? xD And considering he died back in the second season (Word of God confirmed it in an interview) that seems pretty unlikely.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 18:29   Link #235
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
People ship Sokka with Jet now? xD And considering he died back in the second season (Word of God confirmed it in an interview) that seems pretty unlikely.
I am assuming he meant Jet is the father of Toph's daughter, but yes that would be impossible.

Still I think with the avatar fandom people ship everyone with everyone.

Of course we all know the best ship was Tearoh as in Tea & Iroh!
Old 2012-03-30, 18:33   Link #236
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, that's the point, really - any two characters (species and gender notwithstanding) have a shipping community dedicated to them, somewhere.

Bryke have been intentionally cagey enough about this question of Toph's husband that I imagine the answer will come up as a significant plot point sometime in the future.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 09:30   Link #237
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, that's the point, really - any two characters (species and gender notwithstanding) have a shipping community dedicated to them, somewhere.

Bryke have been intentionally cagey enough about this question of Toph's husband that I imagine the answer will come up as a significant plot point sometime in the future.
There's a comic about what happened after Aang beat Ozai, they may show Toph's husband or boyfriend in the comic since I remember reading that things about Team Avatar such as what happened to Zuko's mother won't be revealed in Korra's show.
TimeMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 06:53   Link #238
killer3000ad

Two new ads with some new footage.
Spoiler:

Blink and you'll miss this
Spoiler:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2012-04-01 at 07:17.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 06:58   Link #239
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

oh god Mako team already star bombardment XD

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 07:07   Link #240
Key Board
Carbon

So what's those 2 images implying?

Spoiler:
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra