AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-01, 02:35   Link #281
ch0c0b0fr34k

This has nothing to do with the conversation going on, but I feel that the storyline itself (as written in the novels) are turning away from Haruhi and more deeply into the side characters. While I do see merit for such action, I cannot help but feel quite melancholic about Haruhi being shown as nothing more than a prop.

Seeing as how I love this series soley because of Suzumiya's perfect attitude and looks in terms with how I myself imagined it (since I am one of the few, few, few people who read the novels before the anime...), it's quite disappointing now that the camera is being redirected towards another character, with hardly a mention towards my favorite character.

One thing bothering me (mainly) is how the 9th series is Mikuru's focus and everybody else drops down into "autopilot" mode.....personally, I completely dislike her attitude in both the novels and the anime (once again, Kyoto surprises me in this aspect of how well they portray characters). She's too fragile, annoying (excluding her cuteness factor, she really is nothing, so to speak), and frankly doesn't really change. Now, I can also compare this with Kyon, who also hardly changes....but really, he was quite perfect in the first place.

Now, I wouldn't mind if Haruhi was showed some more, since I love every moment where she's mentioned. However, I am frustrated that Suzumiya is "clueless" and although the excuses Kyon gives her are adequate, in some cases they just....fail, no offence. That makes it seem as if the author (pardon me, forgot his name) is actively against Haruhi knowing anything at all. Now, at that point I was wondering how such an academically-strong student such as her could suck up crap like that as fast as a drain....but I suppose there is a reason.

Anyways, being as impatient as I am, I really want the anime to at least show Haruhi being more suspicious. Yes, the novel does have some Haruhi-suspicious moments, but they are extremely far and few between. Hm.....actually, I suppose all I needed to say was that I'm annoyed at the lack of character development in Haruhi, and I sincerely hope the anime is proactive enough to change that. My 2cents.
Old 2007-08-03, 21:54   Link #282
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

That seem to be the general complaint about novels 5 and beyond but to me that is not the case

Spoiler for if someone didnt read novels 7 to 9:
Old 2007-08-07, 08:15   Link #283
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Had this dream last night that I saw the first episode of the second season, and all it was for the whole time was a title card proclaiming that I was watching the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi, and I think I heard Haruhi going "Myaaaaa!". Anyway, honest to god true story.......and a little bizarre, but it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen until I woke up. Perhaps it had a little something to do with my brain picking up on unfinished thoughts about the rather boring 22 minute promo trailer and going on what I know about the second season, which is nothing. Which is also coincidentally all we need to know right now as it will basically sell itself.....hmmmmmmmm......
Old 2007-08-11, 09:05   Link #284
BladeStone

I'm sure this might have been discussed, but which novels was the first season based on, and which novels will the second probably be based on?
Old 2007-08-11, 13:12   Link #285
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeStone View Post
I'm sure this might have been discussed, but which novels was the first season based on, and which novels will the second probably be based on?
First season covered all of volume 1, all but "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" of volume 3, and 1 story from volumes 5 and 6 each.

I predict that the second season will start off (chronologically) with "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", all of novel 4 (which will probably be the main plot, like Melancholy in the first season), and the remaining short stories in volumes 5 and 6, minus "The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru", which will probably be best to save for when volume 7 gets animated. Don't know if volume 2 will get animated, since it's basically just the making of the movie shown in the first season. There are a few points of interest, like the introduction of Shamisen, but I'm not sure if it's worth telling the whole story.
Old 2007-08-11, 15:35   Link #286
velocity7

If you guys didn't know:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=660

CLANNAD is confirmed to be airing October 4 this Fall. Not sure about Haruhi at this point...
Old 2007-08-11, 18:32   Link #287
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
If you guys didn't know:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=660

CLANNAD is confirmed to be airing October 4 this Fall. Not sure about Haruhi at this point...
Exactly as I expected. CLANNAD was announced first, after all.

I'm patient enough to wait. Either way, I'm gonna get a show that I'm quite excited to watch.
Old 2007-08-11, 22:09   Link #288
mugener

if haruhi 2 is really on winter like what moonphase said (which split clannad in two),
I don't konw if this is an good decision.

Since we know that Japan anime's "hot" season is spring and fall,
winter seems a bit "cold" for an popular anime like haruhi.
Old 2007-08-12, 03:08   Link #289
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener View Post
if haruhi 2 is really on winter like what moonphase said (which split clannad in two),
I don't konw if this is an good decision.

Eh, I take what Moonphase says with a grain of salt. Wouldn't be surprised if they're wrong.
Old 2007-08-12, 09:40   Link #290
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener View Post
you'll never know...it's haruhi after all....
Old 2007-08-12, 19:18   Link #291
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I don't think any season with Haruhi showing would be "cold" necessarily
Old 2007-08-14, 08:30   Link #292
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Awesome, just recently finished watching the first season, and now I find out there is a second!

Lets just hope it doesn't start of as being licensed and is then only released as Dubbs 2years later or something.
Old 2007-08-15, 15:24   Link #293
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Can't wait for the 2nd season. I just hope they take there time and make sure its good and don't rush it.
Old 2007-08-15, 17:00   Link #294
Echoes

With expectations as high as they are, I doubt they'd rush anything. At least not the bad kind of rush, they'll put plenty of resources into this project. I can't wait. ^__^
Old 2007-08-16, 17:36   Link #295
Raykun
Protect my imouto ~

can't wait till air date been hooked to dis show 2 days ago wen parents bought me the first volume
Old 2007-08-16, 18:55   Link #296
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
woew

I found this video absolutely brilliant. Who else could be bold enough to shoot this and put it online, knowing that thousands ( millions? ) of people are waiting eagerly for the 2nd season of that unique (television, may i remind you) show? Only Japanese animation can give us that. Of course it's strange, and yeah it's boring, but c'mon, that's Haruhi! I would even say there's a very nice blair witch project like touch in it.

my point is : Just like you all, I can't wait.
Old 2007-08-23, 08:50   Link #297
adelsmud

Just out of interest, is it OK to expect a season 3?
Old 2007-08-23, 14:01   Link #298
ch0c0b0fr34k

Hell, it's oK to expect season 4,5, and 6. At least in my super-optimistic view xD. As long as fanbase stays strong, continuation of the previous season will too.
Old 2007-08-24, 14:09   Link #299
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
Hell, it's oK to expect season 4,5, and 6. At least in my super-optimistic view xD. As long as fanbase stays strong, continuation of the previous season will too.
Considering that Haruhi is probably the most popular anime in Japan right now, I don't think that the fanbase staying strong would be too much of a problem.
Old 2007-08-24, 14:11   Link #300
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
With expectations as high as they are, I doubt they'd rush anything. At least not the bad kind of rush, they'll put plenty of resources into this project. I can't wait. ^__^
Two words. Kyoto Animation.

Really, they don't rush and create crappy anime like certain other companies - Besides it's their most popular show as far as I know.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen