AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-05, 23:34   Link #7521
Gravitas Free Zone

The song is much easier to explain than the video.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 23:35   Link #7522
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I personally find it mindboggling that the lack of a song three minutes long is apparently so important that it invalidates the rest of a series that is seven and a half hours long - or rather, four hundred seventy minutes long (470 minutes). That's 0.63% of the show, to put a statistical slant on things. (Note that I'm counting episodes 5.5 and 10.5 as part of the show because of how entertaining and useful they were, as well as the BD Extra episodes, and that the total runtime is a rough estimate - I'm using the Fermi estimate as my methodology here for my estimate. The exact numbers will be somewhere around 0.6%, plus or minus.)

I also find it curious that [mod edit: some] consider that scene to be the make-or-break part of Girls und Panzer, when the culmination of the story, the climax, the whole package coming together, is Episodes 11 and 12. [mod edit: call-out removed]

To put an analogy, this is like getting a steak dinner, and you have steak, fries and salad, but no barbeque sauce on your table; instead you're given tomato ketchup. You don't have the sauce you were expecting, but you still have the same steak, fries, and salad, and they still taste just the same.

Furthermore, this is not the only example of licensing woes in entertainment. Nearly every single birthday party worldwide sings "Happy Birthday to You", yet as this link discusses, the song itself is copyrighted by the Warner Music Group, and will only enter public domain in the US in 2030 at the earliest (assuming the rights are not extended further). Hence, American TV shows commonly avoid using this song, because of the expensive licensing fees, and choose alternatives ("For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" springs to mind), or don't depict any singing.

(Incidentally, the copyright for "Happy Birthday to You" expired in 1985 in Canada, and will expire in 2016 in the UK.)

Sentai are in a similar boat vis a vis "Katyusha", and have made their best effort in the face of a difficult situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
You know what's scarier? Having the Anglerfish song play on your computer's speakers right as the lab PI walks in to check on your project's progress. Lesson learnt: don't include that song in the music shuffle rotation while at work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The song is much easier to explain than the video.
Gee, thanks you two. Now I can't get that song outta my head! -_-

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-12-06 at 00:13. Reason: removed call-outs
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 23:43   Link #7523
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The video technically is safe, but being seen watching it publicly is probably about as embarrassing as performing the dance itself.
Old 2013-12-06, 07:08   Link #7524
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I personally find it mindboggling that the lack of a song three minutes long is apparently so important that it invalidates the rest of a series that is seven and a half hours long - or rather, four hundred seventy minutes long (470 minutes).
It's not really a matter of proportions or numbers in this case. The Katyusha scene is regarded by many who watched GuP as THE MAGIC MOMENT, when the show forever made itself legendary. Seeing said moment be changed for English consumption, no matter the reason, thus leaves a sour taste for those who thought that way. Obviously people's mileage may vary on whether said moment made them feel that way, as is in your case, but I do understand where they come from.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 13:24   Link #7525
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Weird, I found that 'magic moment' to be almost unbearable and cheesy.
I was happy when that was over with and they went on with the show.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 14:28   Link #7526
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Funny that. For me, the 'magic moment' of the show came about when the Maus showed up, followed by Panzerlied playing in the background.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 14:33   Link #7527
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Miho's last stand in episode 4 is what caught my attention. But it was the Katyusha scene that sealed the "you have to watch this" for me. I'm not sure if it was the song, or just the 15 Soviet tanks in formation that did it though.
Old 2013-12-06, 14:43   Link #7528
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm not sure if it was the song, or just the 15 Soviet tanks in formation that did it though.
Its both.

TRUST ME.

Though I find the scene less than surprising. Believe it or not, I was expecting them to pull something like this immediately after I heard British Grenadiers used as a theme for St. Gloriana.

Now, if they wanted to take it a notch further during that scene, I would recommend getting an actual choir

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2013-12-06 at 17:18.
Old 2013-12-06, 17:48   Link #7529
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
I actually kinda wish they used March of the Soviet Tankists for Pravada, but you can't find the Destalinized lyrics anywhere.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 18:33   Link #7530
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I was happy when that was over with and they went on with the show.
My magic moment was when Miho began doing the Ankou dance out of the blue to motivate her teammates in episode nine. It brought to mind a special lecture I had in a military history course a few years ago about the significance of morale in battle. It was then that I realised that there was an attention to detail in Girls und Panzer that made it so much more than just an anime about Mädchen und irhe Panzer I'm a little slow like that, with things only clicking nine episodes in
Old 2013-12-06, 19:29   Link #7531
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
I actually kinda wish they used March of the Soviet Tankists for Pravada, but you can't find the Destalinized lyrics anywhere.
I doubt they care if the lyrics were destalinized or not.

They did use Erika, after all.

The problem is, how well do the lyrics represent the school (especially since its all female)? I can understand Katusha, but I am not so sure about others.

- Tak

Old 2013-12-07, 03:28   Link #7532
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I doubt they care if the lyrics were destalinized or not.

They did use Erika, after all.

The problem is, how well do the lyrics represent the school (especially since its all female)? I can understand Katusha, but I am not so sure about others.

- Tak
REALLY well. It basically translates as "Our tanks are going to kick everyone's butt, and we're going to be going with the blessing of Stalin and lead by the marshal."

It doesn't even define who the Marshal is. For the intents of the series, it could refer to Katyusha.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 03:48   Link #7533
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
You know what's scarier? Having the Anglerfish song play on your computer's speakers
- Dammit, you just spoiled the prank I was going to play at---(garbled scuffle, gets silenced)
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 06:45   Link #7534
Kazu-kun

I just watched the show the other day and there's something that got stuck on my head. Why didn't St. Gloriana participate in the tournament? Or if they did, which school they lost to? Can anyone tell me that?
Old 2013-12-07, 07:22   Link #7535
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I just watched the show the other day and there's something that got stuck on my head. Why didn't St. Gloriana participate in the tournament? Or if they did, which school they lost to? Can anyone tell me that?
They lost to Kuromomine, this was mentioned when Darjeeling had tea with Katyusha.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 08:03   Link #7536
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Part 2 of the Chieftain's Hatch on the JagdPanzer 38t.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Momo is shorter than the Chieftain.

Oh, and...

1/40000 scale, so it's a foot long.
I realise this is a somewhat old post now, but thanks for linking the inside the hatch video, that was awesome and now I'm watching the others <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 12:58   Link #7537
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Lost to Kuromomine in the other Semifinals. Otherwise the finals would have been against St. Glorianna.
Old 2013-12-07, 14:01   Link #7538
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I just got the BD yesterday, and it looks and sounds fantastic! However, has anybody figure out how to turn off the subtitles completely or the subtitles embedded in the video now?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 21:16   Link #7539
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Images
Official Senshado School Emblems
For those who were wondering whether #9 on that sheet was supposed to be Free France, Vichy France or Canada, it seems the official position is that it is Vichy France:
http://www.modelkasten.com/modelkasten/dc/garupan2.html

(note the official "(C)GIRLS und PANZER Projekt", thus killing any small chance this is not an officially sanctioned work)

The image
Images
Official Emblem Stickers

Frankly, I must say I prefer the "Canada" solution, and don't understand why the Vichy France solution was picked - if they ever have to show that team on screen, a "realistic" Vichy French team would basically have the same equipment as Maignot, a Free French team would probably have Shermans, while they can show Ram tanks if they choose Canada - for a tank show the "Canada" solution is the better choice.

Oh well...
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 21:37   Link #7540
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just an odd question: Why does the pizza for Anzio have asperigus on it?

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks