AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-07, 09:07   Link #1141
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
My position? This is a prank played on anyone who haven't been reading the novels. Think of it like a hazing ritual.
Though you gotta admit, this is a financially dangerous move to make, especially considering the varied, however loyal fanbase.

Unlike Watanabe Shinichi, who knew that his cartoon Excel Saga will never be respected and revered, Kyo Ani simply cannot afford to be a bunch of arrogant and condescending assholes after creating a cultural phenonmenon which people actually love and treasure.

When you build expectations sky high for two whole years, and then smash it at the knees when people actually reach the destination, everything from love and respect will come toppling, nay, CRASHING down.

Not every Haruhi fan is an even tempered and emotionally stable individual, and more than quite a few have just up and left at the "joke."

To quote Admiral Tarkin in Star Wars concerning the Death Star:

"We are making a terrible gamble, Vader."
Old 2008-06-07, 09:54   Link #1142
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Has anyone took the consideration that they're remaking Haruhi as a reference to Disappearance? Mostly likely they're going to start off with Disappearance without any explanation (But we readers will know!) More than likely it's just another gag, seeing as it'll seem like a remake, look at the Long Haired Haruhi in the different uniform, isn't this another reference? I'm pretty sure they haven't "canceled" the second season as expliticlly said.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-06-07, 10:01   Link #1143
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
Though you gotta admit, this is a financially dangerous move to make, especially considering the varied, however loyal fanbase.

Unlike Watanabe Shinichi, who knew that his cartoon Excel Saga will never be respected and revered, Kyo Ani simply cannot afford to be a bunch of arrogant and condescending assholes after creating a cultural phenonmenon which people actually love and treasure.

When you build expectations sky high for two whole years, and then smash it at the knees when people actually reach the destination, everything from love and respect will come toppling, nay, CRASHING down.

Not every Haruhi fan is an even tempered and emotionally stable individual, and more than quite a few have just up and left at the "joke."

Dangerous?

KyoAni aired 1st season Haruhi out of order!

They had Haruhi's website designed to resemble an amateur's homepage because the novel said so!

They created an episode containing minutes of nothing but Yuki reading!

Playing it safe is not KyoAni's style. Nay, it's not Supreme Director HARUHI's style.

If Haruhi wants to play a prank, us mere mortals can do nothing but marvel at the workings of her mysterious ways.
Old 2008-06-07, 10:02   Link #1144
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:

Anyone worth his/her salt will bear in mind the first episode of the FIRST season if KyoAni choose to execute something similarly mind-boggling for Season 2's first episode, and anybody who's new to the series will simply get to experience the same WTF-feeling that new watchers got from the first season. Your paranoia is unfounded.

If they don't get the joke, it's their loss.

Cheers.
Old 2008-06-07, 10:03   Link #1145
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Now that I thought about it, perhaps KyoAni is throwing in the same gag twice because the first one was hidden?

The first time KyoAni did the "Haruhi 2 is canceled and replaced with alternate universe" gag, was in a hidden website that required you entering the password of SOS-dan member surname initials. Hard core fans have already accessed the website last year.

But the majority of NewType readers have not been to that website. The majority also probably haven't read the novels either. Thus KyoAni is playing the joke all over again by disguising the alternate universe as some sort of "remade Haruhi".

This might also mean we would START the first new Haruhi episode with the alternate Haruhi. This would obviously be quite a shock to anyone not up to date with the lore, and they would most likely be fooled by the NewType article and believe it to be a remake.

My position? This is a prank played on anyone who haven't been reading the novels. Think of it like a hazing ritual.
A cookie for you for getting it.

Cheers.
Old 2008-06-07, 10:13   Link #1146
max2k

It is posible that this is the charakterdesign for Haruhi in Junior High, or ?
Old 2008-06-07, 10:14   Link #1147
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
It is posible that this is the charakterdesign for Haruhi in Junior High, or ?
Nope. I see you are not a novel reader.
Old 2008-06-07, 10:18   Link #1148
max2k

Quote:
Nope. I see you are not a novel reader.
You are right, i know the baka-tsuki translation for 2 years but was waiting for the animeation(KioAni Fanboy). But i was unlucky to read some bits of spoilers.
Old 2008-06-07, 10:23   Link #1149
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
You right i now the baka-tsuki translation for 2 years but was waiting for the animeation(KioAni Fanboy). But i was unlucky to read some bits of spoilers.
Nothing wrong with that, you can enjoy the new season with fresh eyes. I certainly won't be ruining it for you.
Old 2008-06-07, 11:35   Link #1150
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I too am looking forward to seeing the next Haruhi series. And it seems they're trying the same out of the box thinking that they did when they rolled out the first ep of the first series. Kudos to them. Of course, not everyone will "get it" at least at first. But it will hopefully be more satisfying as we go along.

And as for the pic of the long haired Haruhi, it should be very interesting how they do her first appearance in the next series.
Old 2008-06-07, 11:48   Link #1151
Vegard Aune

Quote:
But i was unlucky to read some bits of spoilers.
Considering how extremely spoiler-filled this topic is, I'm not surprised. Actually, doesn't this thread completely break all the rules regarding spoilers that this forum has? Now, I got some spoilers too before I read the novels, but it wasn't enough to ruin the story or anything. Volume 4 was still great even though I already knew what it was about. (All the plot-twists along the way though, I didn't know about those, and I somehow feel that it would be very hard to not know about them if you've read through this thread.)
Old 2008-06-07, 11:55   Link #1152
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Well this thread is full of novel readers, many of which complain about how slow volume 10 is, we're waiting! So there's bound to be spoilers, mostly because we have expectations

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-06-07, 12:32   Link #1153
Helioz

I think, Canned Dogs — bad source.

Here is rought translation of articles titles.

1) Cover page

涼宮ハルヒ 始動 — Suzumiya Haruhi starts

2) First Article

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 — Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
新アニメシオン — New animation

世界は彼女を待つていた!— The World is waiting for this "girl"

3) Second article

「新アニメシオン」の行方 — "New animation" location

Where is at least one word about second season had been cancelled?

Last edited by Helioz; 2008-06-07 at 12:52.
Old 2008-06-07, 12:42   Link #1154
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Haha is that so, XD thats good news... for a while I was like cough cough... why would they remake Haruhi why...

but I also thought maybe this "new... animation" could be due to recent super popularitiy of seitenkan and they actually considered putting them in.

still, is there any release date on the article? if there isn't there is slim chance of S2 being in July.. (unless they suprise us)

I must say Kyoani and Kadokawa are doing a very good job of not leaking any information. Getting everyone to go ballistic or go into dispair of not having enough information.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:54   Link #1155
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I had been expecting the first episode of the second season to be Suzumiya Haruhi Theater for the totally out-of-context, WTF effect, but I can see the possibility of an alternate universe start as well. It'd take some original writing, though, as the novel wouldn't be complete on that aspect. But if they bring in Tanigawa Nagaru, I'm sure it'd be OK.
Old 2008-06-07, 13:56   Link #1156
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I had been expecting the first episode of the second season to be Suzumiya Haruhi Theater for the totally out-of-context, WTF effect, but I can see the possibility of an alternate universe start as well. It'd take some original writing, though, as the novel wouldn't be complete on that aspect. But if they bring in Tanigawa Nagaru, I'm sure it'd be OK.
Theater involves Haruhi drinking and they can't do that on television. Maybe in an OVA, but...

Also, Theater isn't complete yet, so...
Old 2008-06-07, 14:04   Link #1157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

That's a little dramatic don't you think. I've always felt the series has been about light-hearted goofy fun, so I can't say my expectations are sky high. It really just needs to be entertaining. This whole marketing campaign, while I find it loathsome and not quite as "charming" as others is part of the game, so it's something that people will unfortunately just have to accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood
I must say Kyoani and Kadokawa are doing a very good job of not leaking any information. Getting everyone to go ballistic or go into dispair of not having enough information.
Ummmm.....something tells me that's not what they are or were aiming for.
Old 2008-06-07, 14:16   Link #1158
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Theater involves Haruhi drinking and they can't do that on television. Maybe in an OVA, but...

Also, Theater isn't complete yet, so...
Lone Island Syndrome also originally involved Haruhi drinking. They can just replace it with some other type of drink; it's not exactly integral to the plot.

Since they already parodied lots of anime tropes with "The Adventures of Asaniha Mikuru", it just seems logical that a parody of video game tropes would be in order with just the first story from "Suzumiya Haruhi Theater".
Old 2008-06-07, 14:24   Link #1159
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Lone Island Syndrome also originally involved Haruhi drinking. They can just replace it with some other type of drink; it's not exactly integral to the plot.

Since they already parodied lots of anime tropes with "The Adventures of Asaniha Mikuru", it just seems logical that a parody of video game tropes would be in order with just the first story from "Suzumiya Haruhi Theater".
Probably Super Robot Wars, Dragon Quest, stuff that's popular with Otaku, but see that's what I'm talking about, that's what I think Haruhi has always been about, watching the characters engage in wacky adventures and fun-filled antics. It has never been the ultra deep series others have found to me, but one that is about cutting loose. That's but one of the reasons I think people are a getting a little dramatic about the whole series. It's meant to be fun, not the second coming (eww!) that we all have to prepare for in earnest.

Suzumiya Haruhi Theater as a first episode would be gimmicky as hell in that it's fully of gimmick imagery, but I can guarantee for anyone who likes to kick back and relax that it will make the time go by like that and it's the perfect way to ease people back into the franchise. It's only a shame it might night be during a hot lazy summer day like the first time around.
Old 2008-06-07, 14:45   Link #1160
typhonsentra

For what it's worth, I still am holding out hope for this summer. Maybe we'll see an update for the site once the street date for this issue hits.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen