4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-12-27, 10:25   Link #41
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

man this episode, what a way to spend Christmas watching non stop tragedies thrown at your face, Masahiro being already broken inside till his death, the human debris kids that Tekkadan tried rescue instead tries to kill them all which they had no choice but to shoot back, resulting casualties from both sides,

at least justice is served with that bastard Kudel dying in the most gruesome manner ever, did his head got sliced in half by the sword?
Akihiro now being the new owner of that scum's Gundam,

McGillis isn't lolicon, he just likes them young........

DFC Atra needs love, shame on you Ride!!

there you go, Mika the smooooth operator, just hope his kiss doesn't end up like Gurren Lagann's Yoko..........
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 10:31   Link #42
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

So this episode had

>"you should die this way", further cementing Mika's lack of humanity
>Orga cannot decide whether or not to be merciful or willingly cut up someone for dog food (that is mobster levels of evil right there)
>half the episode gibbering about funerals (how is religion not taught in a poor nation?)
>a ball scene which is only useful for leading into next episode, everyone assumes pedophilia when McGillas was probably trying to be nice
>forced romance mumbo jumbo

And this is the best of the talkfests, disturbing.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 10:39   Link #43
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol@unbelievers. Even as a childhood friend fanatic, I knew Kudelia was being setup as one of the LIs since episode 1.

For this episode, yeah, while I didn't enjoy the kiss one bit, I was actually rejoicing Mika actually doing the deed. For one, it is framed in that Kudelia was just following what she saw with Fumitan, so Mika does the same seeing Naze kiss. For the second, Mika still looks unemotional after the kiss. And lastly, mid-season kiss don't usually work out unless it's a harem anime.

So yeah, Atra end still has high chance in my book, although admittedly harem end is still the highest probability. Which really saddens me more than Atra losing...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 12:38   Link #44
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Fourth option

Spoiler for Spoiler for plot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 raizer View Post
that ending just an imitatiation from 00...but,rather than travel around with Gundam,why dont Mika become a farmer???
If Mika comes back while she is still hot then it's just Gundam Wing's ending.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 13:33   Link #45
Irenesharda

A tragic start to the episode, but it was able to bring closure as the episode went along.

That scene with the human debris kids in the very beginning really shows the horrifying truth of war and how, there was so much unnecessary death simply because of a few greedy individuals.

I'm glad that Masahiro and Akihiro had a proper goodbye and it allowed them to really bring closure there and for Akihiro to have be able to heal from this rather than to be shattered by it. Also, from Masahiro's comments, the A-V system leads to some very interesting effects upon death. However, I did like his promise to go to the afterlife first and check out for things before his brother got there. And that last scene of them grabbing each others hands, was bittersweet, but heartfelt. And Akhihiro is going to take the Gusion now in order to be closer to his brother's memory.

I am SO glad that some of the human debris kids survived and Orga gave them a home with Tekkadan. He knows how to talk to them and get to what's important to them. He tells them that they can have food, safety, and shelter and gives them the first praise they have probably heard in a very long time. It's a very sweet moment and once again shows how Orga knows what do with each branch of his men. Also, that scene with him and the Orc captain was awesome. He literally had the man squealing like a pig. He took his ship, all the mobile suits, and what was left of the kid slaves. He'd have probably done even more if he hadn't had the death of all his men on his heart at the moment.

I'm interested in why funerals seem to have become a thing of the past? I guess with all the poverty and war, it just became too much to have an actual ceremony. I liked Orga and Merribit's tete-a-tete, though I think she went a little far in suggesting that Orga doesn't feel the death of his comrades. I do find it interesting that he says the same thing that Mika said back in episode 2, about living in spite of the death. I wonder if that comes from something that happened in their collective pasts. The funeral itself was a short and somber affair, and it's interesting to see that all of the kids internalize their pain.

And this is seen nowhere as much as with Mika. Mika seems very cold throughout this episode, especially in that line in the beginning right before killing Kudal. He seems almost psychotic at that point. Kudal's line about him enjoying killing would have shaken many a Gundam protag, but Mika thinks about it an is basically "whatever".

It isn't until later when the energy had worn off that he's a lot more shaken by the statement, though you'd never know it from looking at his face. This is quite interesting for his character, since he's never been affected by his decision to kill before. I think it's the idea that he might actually enjoy killing that has shaken him, that as well as his own comrades deaths, he stores that all up inside him and doesn't let it show much.

However, Kudelia notices it and tries to give him comfort to which Mika responds with the now infamous kiss. I like how she's hot and bothered by it, but he's completely calm right after and continues to eat. I honestly think that he did it simply because of exactly as he said, she was cute at the time and he was thankful for what she was trying to do. Also, considering his reaction and how it came right after Naze's "advice" I don't think it's because Mika's romantically interested in her, but more so because of the moment itself, but I'm sure there will be plenty of speculation going around.

On the Gjallerhorn side of things, we see McGillis at his engagement party and we learn a few things about him, such as the fact that he's the bastard son of his father's mistress and was adopted into the family, but it looks like he's mostly being used as a tool to further the family's strength among the Seven Stars. Almiria is still a kid, and she's noticing that she still is in everyone's eyes and somewhere in the back of her head, she probably knows she's just a pawn in her family's politics. I don’t really approve of the Almiria and McGillis pairing, but you can see that it’s all political and both of them are playing parts to advance their families and neither really has a choice. McGillis, like any good Char clone, is a gentleman. Even in a situation that he can’t control, he will make any little girl feel like a respected lady.

However, knowing all this, I'm wondering what his plans are, and how this facade of a life affects him?

Well, next time it looks like we're going to a space colony and Nobliss is finally going to make his move. Fumitan is pretty much confirmed to be a traitor, but I wonder what she's going to do?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 13:36   Link #46
hai_san

So emotional great EP! Storytelling i would give 8,5 but for the funeral a 10!
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 13:43   Link #47
MCAL

With all the death flags our main characters are waving, I wonder if Okada is showing either remarkable restraint or glorious trolling.

Either way, great end to the first cour of this series.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 13:52   Link #48
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's problematic that the least dark interpretation of that balcony scene is that McGillis is a pedophile.
Honestly, I still see it more of a big brother/little sister thing. He knows she being embarrassed and ashamed by all the words of the snobs around her, and it's not a situation of either of their making. It's all a political transaction, no more, no less. However, McGillis does care about Almiria and so he teases her and treats her like his little lady love princess in order to keep her spirits up and because she's a kid who doesn't understand everything that's going on around her. He knows no one really cares about his or her real feelings, and so he does for her. He will be her loving fiancee despite the truth of their situation.

Though, I honestly think he has some kind of plan going on that's going to change all of this anyway. He doesn't like his dad, and he obviously doesn't like being his dad's tool.
Also, it's suggested here that his father is his real father, but that he was illegitimate, and yet the site lists Inzario as being McGillis' adopted father. So, I'm wondering how that works?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2015-12-27, 14:09   Link #49
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Also, it's suggested here that his father is his real father, but that he was illegitimate, and yet the site lists Inzario as being McGillis' adopted father. So, I'm wondering how that works?
Maybe, since he is illegitimate, he had to be adopted into the family afterwards in order to receive the family name.
Old 2015-12-27, 14:15   Link #50
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Maybe, since he is illegitimate, he had to be adopted into the family afterwards in order to receive the family name.
But then still wouldn't that make Iznario his real father and not adopted? Even if he was adopted into the family, it just seems weird to refer to him as his "adopted father".

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2015-12-27, 14:23   Link #51
DMurphy

Unrelated and, apologies, much less interesting note that Iznario and McGillis' family situation (which I do feel like if we knew more about, would probably cast significant light on their motivations), but is the OST out, and if so, what was the name of that song that played during the funeral scene?

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 14:31   Link #52
Twi

Good episode. It handled grief, resolve, and romance well. But, damn it, why does everyone have to betray one another? I don't want Fumitan to be evil.
Old 2015-12-27, 14:43   Link #53
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Honestly, I still see it more of a big brother/little sister thing. He knows she being embarrassed and ashamed by all the words of the snobs around her, and it's not a situation of either of their making. It's all a political transaction, no more, no less. However, McGillis does care about Almiria and so he teases her and treats her like his little lady love princess in order to keep her spirits up and because she's a kid who doesn't understand everything that's going on around her. He knows no one really cares about his or her real feelings, and so he does for her. He will be her loving fiancee despite the truth of their situation.
It also depends on whether he actually means what he said or if she's also another means to an end for his ambition.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 14:49   Link #54
Wandering Soul

That was an emotional funeral.

I guess people that wanted Mika to get more development are getting their wish. Despite how he reacted at first, he actually was shaken by Kudal's words. He admitted to Kudelia that he finds her attractive and showed that by kissing her.

It looks like Fumitan really is a traitor which is too bad. I really don't want her to be one.

McGillis is smooth but I don't think he sees Almiria like that. He cares about her and realizes she doesn't have much of a choice either.
Old 2015-12-27, 14:52   Link #55
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post

McGillis is smooth but I don't think he sees Almiria like that. He cares about her and realizes she doesn't have much of a choice either.
Of course he doesn't see her like that - he's an adult, and she's a child, after all, and we've not had any suggestion that he's a paedophile or aught. But I think you're right, he cares about her like he would a little sister, and understands that neither of them have any choice in the matter, and he's doing what he can to spare her feelings and make it as easy as possible for her.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 15:15   Link #56
Thess

I really liked this episode. I wasn't a fan of last one, but at least Akihiro got some kind of closure.

McGillis is... no comment. If it were another show, I wouldn't say he's a pedophile, but this show who knows?

Merribit and Amida continue to be my favorite female characters. I really really like Merribit's UST with Orga. As for the kiss scene, I see it as more of a spur of the moment than a relationship starter. Mika would have probably kissed Fumitan if she hugged him in those circumstances. I would be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong, but he didn't even make a big deal about it.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 15:29   Link #57
Galaxian

I was every disappointed when Orga said that they wouldn't use the Gusion because it killed Masahiro, so I was extremely happy when Akihiro asked to be the pilot of it.

Tekkadan now has two Gundam frames. Sure, Gundams here are not as overpowered as in the recent series, but it's still cool. It almost feel like when the Secondary Rider is introduced in Kamen Rider.
Old 2015-12-27, 15:40   Link #58
Skaddix

Who gets Akihiro's Old Mecha?
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 15:48   Link #59
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Who gets Akihiro's Old Mecha?
Shino Norba.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-27, 16:20   Link #60
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Akihiro asked to pilot Masahiro's mech not the Gusion.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote