AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 13.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 19.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 17.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 9.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 4.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.37%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-22, 22:07   Link #61
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

No, I think you're misunderstanding that scene. Kazumi cried because Shana and Yuji survived the ordeal, and they plan on a reset, that is, Yuji goes to whichever person he chose. Of course, we know that Shana was chosen, as Yoshida was in tears upon the realization that Yuji did not come for her.

Oh you, Kristen.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-10-22, 22:08   Link #62
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Marcus H. I think Kristen was trying to give a joke there
Old 2011-10-22, 22:10   Link #63
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Does this episode need to teach us everything? Let the rest of the series sort things out; besides we're just one-sixth of the entire run, let it slide. At least it's not Horizon's approach that J.C. Staff is adapting.
It doesn't, but it also doesn't need to teach us stuff we already know. And while Horizon is a show I don't care about, it managed to establish its identity, its world, and its characters and set them up for explaining later. And without the advantage of having 2 seasons of established backstory. But I would say Horizon deserves much more leniency.

Quote:
No, I think you're misunderstanding that scene. Kazumi cried because Shana and Yuji survived the ordeal, and they plan on a reset, that is, Yuji goes to whichever person he chose. Of course, we know that Shana was chosen, as Yoshida was in tears upon the realization that Yuji did not come for her.
Now, now. Much like Yoshida herself, let's not crush those dreams.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 22:11   Link #64
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Marcus H. I think Kristen was trying to give a joke there
Not quite a joke. It's more what I want to believe happened. And so far, it is a perfectly logical conclusion! ^^
Old 2011-10-22, 22:14   Link #65
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ok, I'll let you slide. You're quite a rarity, Kristen.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-10-22, 22:17   Link #66
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Through all of Season II, I was the only person on these forums that supported the Yoshida x Yuji pairing. :3
Old 2011-10-22, 22:18   Link #67
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I was reminded by a certain friend that Kazumi was the one to confess first. Hmm, I guess I shouldn't be that hateful.

Screw Yuji. Yuri ending FTW.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 22:19   Link #68
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That must have been quite the battle with how much hate Yoshida had (or still has).
Old 2011-10-22, 22:27   Link #69
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Yeah, her Flame Haze name would be something like 'Ultimate Yoshida Fangirl and Master of Denying Reality.' That interpretation of Shana II's ending is pretty hilarious. "Yay! The guy I love chose someone else over me!" Shana's quite the saint.
Old 2011-10-22, 22:29   Link #70
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hey, I support Kristen on the Yoshida x Yuji pairing. That means I can keep Shana for myself *looks around*
Old 2011-10-22, 22:41   Link #71
Isekaijin

I waited patiently for this moment since I knew of it's existence.
NOT A SINGLE REGRET!! NEXT EPISODE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!
Old 2011-10-22, 22:46   Link #72
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Screw Yuji. Yuri ending FTW.
This x 100
Old 2011-10-22, 23:03   Link #73
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

so first, we start out and yuji has disappeared for no reason. Then we see Yuji leading the bad guys with no explanation. Then finally they let out that Yuji is being possessed by a crimson lord. And now Yuji is back in town, possibly still being possessed by a crimson lord, but reminiscing around town. Really, does this make any sense to anyone?

Preview shows evil Yuji fighting Shana. I get that perhaps the bad guys would be interested in using the guy with endless power as a tool for their plans, but they REALLY need to be presenting this better. Right now, noone knows whats going on and why, and this show could use some definitive answers on where they want to go with this.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-10-22, 23:03   Link #74
king12354

I didn't really see this episode as a recap, more as a buildup to what's going to happen next. But I'm still confused on why Yoshida, Eita, and Satou remembers Yuji but no one else.
Old 2011-10-22, 23:45   Link #75
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Not quite a joke. It's more what I want to believe happened. And so far, it is a perfectly logical conclusion! ^^
You're insane... just saying lol
Old 2011-10-22, 23:48   Link #76
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponX View Post
so first, we start out and yuji has disappeared for no reason. Then we see Yuji leading the bad guys with no explanation. Then finally they let out that Yuji is being possessed by a crimson lord. And now Yuji is back in town, possibly still being possessed by a crimson lord, but reminiscing around town. Really, does this make any sense to anyone?

Preview shows evil Yuji fighting Shana. I get that perhaps the bad guys would be interested in using the guy with endless power as a tool for their plans, but they REALLY need to be presenting this better. Right now, noone knows whats going on and why, and this show could use some definitive answers on where they want to go with this.
I think you need to watch back the ep cause it rather easy to see that what happens form here on out is Yuji choice and no one is using him.
At the end of the ep he says now see the future he wants even thought it going to be dangerous .

So far this season has been good even thought some fans that don't follow the novels might be confuse so far .
Old 2011-10-23, 00:13   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I didn't really see this episode as a recap, more as a buildup to what's going to happen next.
I think this is what is what was intended; it's to help the viewers "reframe" the first two seasons of content into Yuuji's perspective to help us (eventually) understand all that's going on. But I also understand some degree of frustration because people are impatient and they want the answers and action sooner rather than later. This show is clearly setting up for the long haul and taking a very careful and methodical approach to doling out the relevant information piece by piece. It's a very different approach than either the first season or the second season, but I still think it has the potential to be very powerful when it finally all comes together. I guess you just have to have faith that it's all important and is leading somewhere which, with this being the final season, I do.

Perhaps this is going to be the sort of show that would be better viewed "batched" than weekly, because I can see how this episode on its own would not be seen as very exciting, but as part of the "big picture" it should make more sense.
Old 2011-10-23, 00:38   Link #78
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I think what probably irks the viewers most is that the rationalisation of the motivation behind why Yuuji is doing what he's doing now.

He's not some mid-series supporting character or something where we've never got an indication behind the kind of person he was. We are pretty much exposed to much of Yuuji's feelings, growth and maturation as a person throughout S1/S2. Not entirely, but definitely most of it.

In that respect, this episode was solid because it was important to set up the most important thing the viewers needed to understand going into S3... What was Yuuji's thought process leading to him the choice of abandoning so many things important to him.

Let's put it this way. If we immediately jumped to the next episode and ignored this episode altogether... Whatever motive and reason he might have had, Yuuji would've come across as an extremely selfish asshole who has decided to leave his mother and father lonely without any memories of him whatsoever. And we wouldn't know it, because the series would had chosen to ignore this aspect of Yuuji's choice.

But with this episode, we can at least frame that Yuuji did not make the choices he did without understanding and feeling grief of the things he had to lose. His family, his less-involved friends, and also to highlight how he has chosen to move on with his life ahead towards to less-human future.

This episode wasn't perfect, because it really, only highlighted on the weight of Yuuji's decisions. The flow of it was a bit lacking, because we couldn't really see the changes from S1->S2-now in a more dynamic, "I can see how Yuuji chose to become LAST BOSS" situation. But it's not too bad either.

Now all it needs is the motivation to centralise the root of Yuuji's decision. It's really all downhills from there.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2011-10-23, 01:16   Link #79
Excorsism

Nice to know Yuuji is head over heels for Shana, woop. Now come to me happy ending, I will destroy the author's favorite pen if he decides otherwise.
Old 2011-10-23, 01:28   Link #80
alvinkhorfire

In my opinion, there is at least one good reason why this episode is a recap episode. It may not be stated in the anime, as obvious as it is written in the novel. So far, this episode can be said as a direct adaption form the novel and we should support that J. C. Staff has been quite faithful to the novels.

Spoiler for Possible Reason From the Novel:

It is just my opinion, though. Please correct me if I have said anything wrong.