AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 21 20.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 47.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.98%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 17:00   Link #41
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Good one!I think she was crying because he didn't come back to sit with her. She thought he took off on her again and if he ran away from her she wasn't going to chase him.
I agree with Raiga here. She was really into the movie; that's why she was crying. That's probably why she didn't look for him during the movie, but it still doesn't explain why she didn't try to find him after the movie ended. Besides, she knew where he was (she waves her hand to him when he's setting up the movie), so there's really no reason for her no to check on him once the movie is over.
Old 2009-04-24, 17:32   Link #42
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Kazu-kun is right to correct a couple of things I said: no-one is supposed to have died on Careless Monday, and the scenes are in chronological order. Unfortunately, that means that Saki never went up to the projection booth to look for Akira. Not reasonable.
fine maybe noone died (K.I.A) but how about 20k people M.I.A ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpepper View Post

8.2 billion yen. Supposedly the amount of money Akira has left. Can you really buy a fully equipped mall and movie theater with a tight security system, and also kidnap 20 thousand people who live all over the place and feed them (for how long) with 1.8 billion yen? Not to mention how much it would cost to have 10(11) nukes launched at tokyo...

1.8 bil Yen is about 18.54 mil USD, it is possible if he is lucky/nice timing with the economic condition. for example right now you could easily buy a whole block in Buffalo, NY with that money lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post

Dunno why Saki didn't go look for Akira. Maybe 'cause she got really into the movie (she did start crying) or maybe 'cause she was being stubborn and all, "If he's not coming I'm not looking for him."
yeah it is possible, she sent the e-mail to her friend around 11 PM, then she spent 1-2 hrs to walk around the mall/check out his apartment, chit chat, etc. The Big Blue is 168 minutes (about 3 hrs) director cut. depend on the time of the year, sun rise in Tokyo can be earliest at 4:30 AM so the scenario in eps 3 is still possible.
Old 2009-04-24, 20:29   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Liked that one the best of the three. This series runs counter to my usual preference - I like the episodes centered around the intrigue and action more than the relationship ones, probably because the relationship in this one rings so hollow for me - the less they focus on it, the better. But the plot (already interesting) grew even more so, as some fascinating hints were dropped.
Old 2009-04-24, 21:39   Link #44
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Judging by the hate messages written all over the square that the NEETs were held, I think the Supporter (or another Selecao) sent the 20,000 NEETs to kill Akira, and as a response, Akira bought the mall and the heavy security, and successfully sequestered them all at this square. Perhaps his reference to Dawn of the Dead was a kneejerk statement to an old memory, since 20,000 NEETs zerg-rushing a mall kinda fits.

As for the missile...obviously Akira didn't kill them, as it hit way off course. Plus, some of the NEETs were mentioned to be reappearing, so they probably just scattered.

Crazy guess: Saki = Supporter. One reason Akira would try to kill her in front of the White House.
Old 2009-04-24, 22:00   Link #45
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Not to mention how much it would cost to have 10(11) nukes launched at tokyo...
Those missles were not nukes. If they were, there wouldn't be any Tokyo left period.
You totally underestimate the destructive power of nuclear warheads.
Old 2009-04-24, 22:44   Link #46
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Doesn't this show just win?

The pacing of the mystery is just outstanding as they slow reveal more answers and information which also lead to even bigger and more intriguing questions. But I'm really digging the role that Saki plays in this story. She's an oasis of normality in the midst of a very strange situation. Been there, done that, right, but there have been plenty of hints that she, herself, is also a rather interesting and complex character.

I'm super keen to find out where this is going. I daresay Kamiyama almost hasn't put a foot wrong so far.
Old 2009-04-25, 00:44   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I assume the NEETs would have been sent as the Supporter only if he spent all of the money in his phone, which doesn't seem to be the case. It would suggest that his attempt to kill the NEETs were his form of "saving Japan", if we would also assume that NEETs for Akira are likened to parasites who leech of the country while not doing a thing for the nation.
Old 2009-04-25, 01:36   Link #48
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I assume the NEETs would have been sent as the Supporter only if he spent all of the money in his phone, which doesn't seem to be the case. It would suggest that his attempt to kill the NEETs were his form of "saving Japan", if we would also assume that NEETs for Akira are likened to parasites who leech of the country while not doing a thing for the nation.
Wasn't Akira part of the NEET movement? I thought that was the reason why he was naked in the beginning. I haven't a clue what happened to turn them all against him though.

Old 2009-04-25, 04:11   Link #49
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

No, I think Akira was naked because he was just weird. And probably wanted to attract the attention of the police for some reason.
Old 2009-04-25, 04:39   Link #50
golthin

Quote:
IV says that they were forced to become Seleção. What I'm interested in is what kind of people were they before they became a Seleção? For example a normal everyday Joe blackmailed into it because they threatened to kill a family member or dirty Cop with too many dark secrets.

Right now we don't know what happened with the 20 thousand kidnapped NEETS. IV says the were blown up, we do know Akira at least had something to do with it. IV mentions the possibility of the 'supporter' being behind both the NEET killing and sending the text to his wife. But how the hell did the supporter know IV's wife would react that way? I mean cheating in this day and age is so common, but to go there and stab your cheating husband to death?

8.2 billion yen. Supposedly the amount of money Akira has left. Can you really buy a fully equipped mall and movie theater with a tight security system, and also kidnap 20 thousand people who live all over the place and feed them (for how long) with 1.8 billion yen? Not to mention how much it would cost to have 10(11) nukes launched at tokyo...

And last but not least, Akiras 'bachelor pad'. I don't know if you noticed the globe with the writing "The world is yours" which is from Scarface. Does he have this because he's very much into movies or because he's somebody who would do anything for money? (Just like Tony Montana)

AHHHHH so many questions!!!! I really enjoyed the ep and cant wait for the next one.
I think the fee charged for the "favors" is a standard fee and not the actual cost of whatever "favor'. Because you are correct, i doubt you could bribe anyone to launch those missiles and still have all that money. You saw that the detective was charged a fee even for sending an email.
Old 2009-04-25, 05:52   Link #51
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Hey, this finally gets its own section. Rightly so, I guess. While K-On is the moe-fest for this season, the only other show this time that can really give Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a run for its money would surely be Eden of the East.

Just when you thought Kondo would be the antagonist, he gets offed so quickly in School Days mode. Now for Akira to figure out how to siphon off Kondo's remaining Noblesse phone funds into his own phone, seeing that they're locked by fingerprint recognition.

I wonder if Saki ever had an ex-boyfriend, or perhaps a crush?

Quote:
http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
1.8bn Yen would be around 18m US Dollars. Having worked in the financial field, I can tell you I've seen acquisition deals with shopping malls sold for less than that amount, so USD18m is nothing.
Old 2009-04-25, 10:13   Link #52
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Does Kondo even have anything left? Wasn't the reason that he tried to be the antagonist the money?

Saki already said she had a crush too didn't she? Or maybe important person doesn't mean a crush

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Old 2009-04-25, 10:15   Link #53
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Now for Akira to figure out how to siphon off Kondo's remaining Noblesse phone funds into his own phone, seeing that they're locked by fingerprint recognition.
All seven yen of it? :P

How's a guy blow ten billion on his girlfriend...
Old 2009-04-25, 10:23   Link #54
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
All seven yen of it? :P

You'd be surprised. Chicks are total money sinks.

Old 2009-04-25, 10:30   Link #55
Ottocycle

Quote:
He gambles too, so that's probably where it went. Bookmakers laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 2009-04-25, 10:34   Link #56
hamstar
just passing by

i have to agree this show is amazing. It has all this mystery and intrigue built into it and I just know I will getting a sensible explanation for it all. Right now the biggest questions on my mind are around the NEET (not employed or educated or training) individuals.

1. why would they be stripped down naked?
2. were they killed, what happened to them?
3. how were they rounded up at the mall? - it seems they know that akira was involved evidenced by his name written on the wall "going to kill you takizawa!"
Old 2009-04-25, 12:36   Link #57
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

this is a rather interesting show. i was hoping the detective would be around more than 3 eps, since he seemed more like a "early boss" character.

anyways, i'm probably missing a lot of stuff when considering this series, so i won't try to post any smart posts
Old 2009-04-25, 12:39   Link #58
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Just when you thought Kondo would be the antagonist, he gets offed so quickly in School Days mode.
I just watched School Days last night for the first time. HOLY SMOLY!!! I... I... I...
What were we talking about again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
He gambles too, so that's probably where it went.
And he was a total loser as well. There was bill on his cellphone for fixing horseraces and still he lost all the money.
Old 2009-04-25, 13:44   Link #59
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't think Akira wanted to kill the NEETs. He's not that kind of person. Imo I think he wanted them to go outside to save them, so that they could live a normal life. However, it was the Supporters who wanted to kill the NEETs. I'm assuming Akira erased his memories to try to start a new life, probably because of the pressure, the loneliness, and something happening between him and the Supporters.
Old 2009-04-25, 16:22   Link #60
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A post on 2channel says maybe Saki went and looked in the booth through the window but didn't see Akira because he was in the shadows. Maybe.

Saki as Supporter? I can't quite see it, but it's a fascinating idea. To me, she is not just insecure but also determined. I liked how she led Akira off the overpass to go look for his address. Screenwriting books suggest that giving a character contradictory characteristics makes them more vivid and real.

Saki was already disturbed that Akira hadn't come down from the booth. I think she's crying because she thought she was being politely dumped. There's no dramatic purpose in her crying over the movie.

Saki's bf?
Spoiler for character info from a Japanese site:
There's more info about side-characters in the "characters and seiyuus" link in my sig.

I don't think the naked prince killed the NEETs, but we don't know what kind of guy he was before his memory was wiped. I'm still not sure the naked prince really is Akira. He had several passports to choose from and just chose one whose birth date was close to Saki's, didn't he? Maybe he unconsciously chose the right one, but we don't know. Just because Akira's name is on the wall in that picture doesn't mean he is Akira.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Closed Thread