AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-08, 07:59   Link #25001
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Suicide? Poisioning by M.I.5 or M.I.6? Retribution by some berserk fan of the Royal Family? Or just natural causes? In good faith I'll assume the last of these, though the juxtaposition of events is striking. And why is the death still "unexplained" after twelve hours or so? Waiting on the Medical Examiner's report? If so, the cause of death must not be obvious.
Those were my first thoughts when reading the initial articles after hearing the news on the BBC World Service. I kept thinking, hang on, I must have missed something. Then, after re-reading the articles, I realised it wasn't me — there really were no explanations for the death of the nurse.

So why then are the DJs implicated?

Their prank was stupid, in poor taste and insensitive. Coming as it did in the wake of the Leveson report in Britain, it highlights again the need for media professionals to take a good hard look at the way they operate. But why are the DJs suddenly treated like pariahs when there doesn't seem to be any link between their prank and the nurse's death, other than unfortunate timing?
Old 2012-12-08, 08:49   Link #25002
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Those were my first thoughts when reading the initial articles after hearing the news on the BBC World Service. I kept thinking, hang on, I must have missed something. Then, after re-reading the articles, I realised it wasn't me — there really were no explanations for the death of the nurse.
Nearly every story this morning calls it a suicide.

In this story it is suggested the DJs behavior might constitute a breach of the Commercial Radio Code of Conduct which the article incorrectly categorizes as a "law." As a set of private guidelines, I doubt there is an legal enforcement mechanism.

Quote:
Matthew Keys [of Reuters] pointed out that the prank might have broken a section of Australia's radio codes of practice that prohibits shows that treat "participants in live hosted entertainment programs in a highly demeaning or highly exploitative manner."
I'm sure the fanaticism of the Royals' followers accounts for much of the intensity of the reaction to this prank. Also Kate has quickly become a beloved figure around the world. After the uproar over the naked sunbathing pictures her admirers probably have little patience for the media and paparazzi. The DJs may be bearing the brunt of these feelings.
Old 2012-12-08, 08:57   Link #25003
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Radio hosts shouldn't be responsible for this in the least. Especially any hosts that fall in the "shock jock" category. They have to entertain a bunch of degenerates for 4 hours just by talking.... it's not that easy. A prank call is pretty tame.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:58   Link #25004
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Egyptian President Said to Prepare Martial Law Decree
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/wo...-protests.html
Old 2012-12-08, 10:11   Link #25005
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

^^ MMm, Deja vu.
Old 2012-12-08, 10:34   Link #25006
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
^^ MMm, Deja vu.
Only a few month till spring
Old 2012-12-08, 12:28   Link #25007
Tom Bombadil

Mo Yan, the Chinese Nobel literature prize laureate gave his nobel lecture today. He told a few short stories. Among them one is particularly interesting.

Quote:
A group of eight out-of-town bricklayers took refuge from a storm in a rundown temple. Thunder rumbled outside, sending fireballs their way. They even heard what sounded like dragon shrieks. The men were terrified, their faces ashen. “Among the eight of us,” one of them said, “is someone who must have offended the heavens with a terrible deed. The guilty person ought to volunteer to step outside to accept his punishment and spare the innocent from suffering. Naturally, there were no volunteers. So one of the others came up with a proposal: Since no one is willing to go outside, let’s all fling our straw hats toward the door. Whoever’s hat flies out through the temple door is the guilty party, and we’ll ask him to go out and accept his punishment.” So they flung their hats toward the door. Seven hats were blown back inside; one went out the door. They pressured the eighth man to go out and accept his punishment, and when he balked, they picked him up and flung him out the door. I’ll bet you all know how the story ends: They had no sooner flung him out the door than the temple collapsed around them.
I have never read his work before, but I personally find it brilliant in what he has chosen to tell.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:13   Link #25008
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

So why did that tunnel in Japan collapse? The maintenance workers thought it was too high to actually manually check the roof, so they just did visual inspections from the ground level. (NSFW link.)

The last photo makes me wonder if they should bring back mandatory suppuku.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:35   Link #25009
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Only a few month till spring
I was thinking the same thing too.

Story of life in Egypt, we shall say.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:45   Link #25010
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2012-12-08, 16:54   Link #25011
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Mo Yan, the Chinese Nobel literature prize laureate gave his nobel lecture today. He told a few short stories. Among them one is particularly interesting.

I have never read his work before, but I personally find it brilliant in what he has chosen to tell.
Ha, great story. "Life and Death are tiring me out" seems interesting, I may check it out sometime.
Old 2012-12-08, 20:27   Link #25012
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Software guru McAfee wants to return to United States
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B319220121208
Quote:
(Reuters) - Software guru John McAfee, fighting deportation from Guatemala to Belize to face questions about the slaying of a neighbor, said on Saturday he wants to return to the United States.
Old 2012-12-09, 01:25   Link #25013
sa547
*Author

http://sports.inquirer.net/75679/jua...he-sixth-round

It's over. Most humiliating loss for Pacquiao in history.
Old 2012-12-09, 01:45   Link #25014
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
http://sports.inquirer.net/75679/jua...he-sixth-round

It's over. Most humiliating loss for Pacquiao in history.
I knew this was coming. He became too relax and confident over his victories.... I knew Marquise has mastered Pacman's fighting techniques after 3 encounters! In fact I believed he is the only boxer that could match Pacman.

Now we expect a fifth installment of the PacMan's Saga.. The most disappointed person? Not Pacquiao nor his mother or wife... It's Bob... Sponge Bob Arum....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-09 at 01:55.
Old 2012-12-09, 07:21   Link #25015
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Egypt president scraps decree that sparked protests
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B30GP20121209
Quote:
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi has cancelled a decree that gave him sweeping powers and sparked violent unrest but did not delay this month's referendum on a new constitution that was a major demand of his opponents.
Old 2012-12-09, 13:43   Link #25016
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Egypt president scraps decree that sparked protests
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B30GP20121209
Wellllllllll, not quite. He wants everything he did to remain in place. It still looks as if he and his supporters only wanted democracy long enough to establish a theocracy.
Old 2012-12-09, 14:17   Link #25017
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Loaded pistol found packed in frozen meat

Quote:
ROSWELL, N.M. (KRQE) - A bizarre find in a package of meat at a grocery store has law enforcement agencies from New Mexico and Colorado wondering where the gun came from.

So far everyone involved with the case has said they've never seen this one before. A worker unwrapping frozen meat at Albertsons found a handgun and ammunition packed with it.
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/l...in-frozen-meat

Old 2012-12-09, 15:59   Link #25018
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Did the worker read the packaging? It probably said "In case of reanimated animal raising hellspawn, use pistol".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-09, 16:03   Link #25019
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Who know, that incident might give a idea to some NRA member for a concept of ''Happy meal'' for adult...
Old 2012-12-09, 17:10   Link #25020
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Was it venison? Because if so, either there was some kind of hunting accident followed by an horrible cover-up, or the deers have started packing.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international