AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-07, 23:16   Link #18201
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
to Kyon's absurd rationalization.
I would have involved small bombs somehow, but Kyon wouldn't have even heard of Umineko, mostly likely... sad, that.

Quote:
I just wonder how no one notice Yuki. It is really hard know it was Kyon, because he is "ridiculously normal". However Yuki is pretty distinct from other girls. Maybe some alien trick?
We can assume she was deflecting attention somehow, but I think it's more that she's just unassuming to most people anyway. It's just people like Taniguchi and those who are relatively close to her like her classmates, that really notice her.

Quote:
Speaking in alien tricks, I just tought now, but why none of the Nagatos tryed the same thing Ryoko did to Kyon? Sealing some room and make it a crazy alien space?
That only worked because a) She had clearance, and b) No one else was around.

Yuuki can barely gain clearance for anything and Yuki doesn't want to attract attention to herself at all, which even with some kind of enchantment, sealing off a room would do.

...Is it fun for you to watch me try to come up with justifications for my plot devices?

Quote:
Now I am curious about Haruhi's atributes Clary above the avarege in most.
Above average Str/Dex, average Con, huge Int, terrible Wis, enormous Cha.

Kyon would be Above average Str, enormous Dex, average Con, above average Int, above average Wis, average Cha.

I could do the others, if you're interested.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 23:25   Link #18202
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I would have involved small bombs somehow, but Kyon wouldn't have even heard of Umineko, mostly likely... sad, that.
Why not? Is Kyon we are talking about, he know many useless things. (what is Umineko, btw?)

Quote:
We can assume she was deflecting attention somehow, but I think it's more that she's just unassuming to most people anyway. It's just people like Taniguchi and those who are relatively close to her like her classmates, that really notice her.
No one (beside Taniguchi) notice her becase she stay quiet and reading. But she is famous in her own classroom because of it. The point is people would notice a smal girl with purple/gray hair runing around chasing some mutant. Though an alien trick is a good explanation.

Quote:
That only worked because a) She had clearance, and b) No one else was around.

Yuuki can barely gain clearance for anything and Yuki doesn't want to attract attention to herself at all, which even with some kind of enchantment, sealing off a room would do.
Ah, make sense.

Quote:
...Is it fun for you to watch me try to come up with justifications for my plot devices?
Yes it is ^^ Sorry for that

However, I think what I do here is somewhat usefull. May help you to realise some little thing and avoid an unintentional Fridge Logic. Some writers I know say that is useful having a critical reader.

Quote:
Above average Str/Dex, average Con, huge Int, terrible Wis, enormous Cha.

Kyon would be Above average Str, enormous Dex, average Con, above average Int, above average Wis, average Cha.

I could do the others, if you're interested.
Yes, I am. I agree with that, though I don't know if Kyon has so big Dex.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 23:39   Link #18203
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

As an aside, I added a bit to my last and to Cat and Mouse.

The Cat and Mouse one is far more important.

Quote:
Why not? Is Kyon we are talking about, he know many useless things. (what is Umineko, btw?)
Game series released relatively recently. If Haruhi takes place in 2004-2005, like I think it does, he wouldn't have heard of it.

Quote:
No one (beside Taniguchi) notice her becase she stay quiet and reading. But she is famous in her own classroom because of it. The point is people would notice a smal girl with purple/gray hair runing around chasing some mutant. Though an alien trick is a good explanation.
Nagato probably has lightish brown hair... anime hair colors don't exist, remember.

As a result, from a distance, she's just a slightly short girl who leaves no impression. Kyon, on the other hand, leaves more of an impression because of his overwhelmingly normal appearance, if not personality.

Quote:
However, I think what I do here is somewhat usefull. May help you to realise some little thing and avoid an unintentional Fridge Logic. Some writers I know say that is useful having a critical reader.
Well, it is useful, thank you.

Quote:
Yes, I am. I agree with that, though I don't know if Kyon has so big Dex.
The boy dodges both Ryoko and a firework. Neither should be easy for someone with ordinary dexterity.
Old 2009-08-07, 23:53   Link #18204
Heatth

Quote:
As an aside, I added a bit to my last and to Cat and Mouse.

The Cat and Mouse one is far more important.
Ah, I will give a look then

Quote:
Game series released relatively recently. If Haruhi takes place in 2004-2005, like I think it does, he wouldn't have heard of it.
True. Though I always believe it takes place in 2010 (because of the 07/07/07). I don't want to enten in thes discussion, however, kinda pointless. So les just say t is a pitty he couldn't talk about bombs.

Quote:
Nagato probably has lightish brown hair... anime hair colors don't exist, remember.
Well, most of the strange hairs are from the aliens (except from Tsuruya, but she is also strange). However, wasn't her hair said to be gray (in the novels, I mean)? It is not really anime hair, unusuall, but far from impossible.

Quote:
As a result, from a distance, she's just a slightly short girl who leaves no impression. Kyon, on the other hand, leaves more of an impression because of his overwhelmingly normal appearance, if not personality.
Wait, so Kyon drwa atention by not drwaing atention? I believe Kyon draw more atention to the readers/players/viewers, but not to people of his own universe. (the joke is good, however, so I am not really complaining )

Quote:
Well, it is useful, thank you.
You are welcome (so, can I continue to bother you? )

Quote:
The boy dodges both Ryoko and a firework. Neither should be easy for someone with ordinary dexterity.
Yeah, but enormous? I believe his Wis is bigger, for exemple. (also, he has to have above avarage Char. Every girl fall for him after all ). However, these are really big feats.
Old 2009-08-08, 00:00   Link #18205
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
I just wonder how no one notice Yuki. It is really hard know it was Kyon, because he is "ridiculously normal". However Yuki is pretty distinct from other girls. Maybe some alien trick?
Magical-girl glamer, obviously.

Edit: In reference to Kaisos's stats, I'm getting this impression:

Haruhi: Str: 12, Dex: 12, Con: 10, Int: 19-20, Wis: 6, Cha: 20+

Kyon: Str: 12, Dex: 18, Con: 10, Int: 12, Wis: 12, Cha: 10, Comeliness: 16 (Yes, I play with 1970's era UA rules. Suck it.)

I'm not sure about Haruhi's Wisdom being unusually low... it's more like she has a above average wisdom with a character flaw for being a little too willing to accept explanations that appeal to her interests.
Shadow takes all.

Last edited by scify; 2009-08-08 at 00:36.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 00:02   Link #18206
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Well, most of the strange hairs are from the aliens (except from Tsuruya, but she is also strange). However, wasn't her hair said to be gray (in the novels, I mean)? It is not really anime hair, unusuall, but far from impossible.
As I recall, only Haruhi's (black) and Mikuru's (brown) hair colors are ever stated in the novels.

Quote:
Yeah, but enormous? I believe his Wis is bigger, for exemple. (also, he has to have above avarage Char. Every girl fall for him after all ). However, these are really big feats.
Cha is force of personality, not always attractiveness. Kyon only has the former in GAR Mode, which is like Barbarian Rage except for Cha instead of Str.

And Kyon's Wis isn't HUGE. The crap he comes up with when forced to come up with it is stupid. (Haru-haru, anyone?)
Old 2009-08-08, 00:11   Link #18207
Heatth

Quote:
As I recall, only Haruhi's (black) and Mikuru's (brown) hair colors are ever stated in the novels.
I looked for I didn't find anything in her introduction, so you must be right.

Quote:
Cha is force of personality, not always attractiveness. Kyon only has the former in GAR Mode, which is like Barbarian Rage except for Cha instead of Str.

And Kyon's Wis isn't HUGE. The crap he comes up with when forced to come up with it is stupid. (Haru-haru, anyone?)
The Car part was a joke you know.

Though Kyon is very perceptive. He can notice small things all time, like Yuki expression and the Mistry on the Lone Island. Is more he is lazy and like to lie to hinself. (what is haru-haru?)
Old 2009-08-08, 00:15   Link #18208
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Haru-haru was intentionally bad, though. The point was to give her a nickname she would rather obviously hate.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 00:21   Link #18209
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Haru-haru was intentionally bad, though. The point was to give her a nickname she would rather obviously hate.
It's still silly. =P

Eh, whatever. He IS really perceptive though, you're right. So high Wis.

Quote:
(what is haru-haru?)
Oh dear.
Old 2009-08-08, 00:53   Link #18210
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scify View Post
Magical-girl glamer, obviously.

Edit: In reference to Kaisos's stats, I'm getting this impression:

Haruhi: Str: 12, Dex: 12, Con: 10, Int: 19-20, Wis: 6, Cha: 20+

Kyon: Str: 12, Dex: 18, Con: 10, Int: 12, Wis: 12, Cha: 10, Comeliness: 16 (Yes, I play with 1970's era UA rules. Suck it.)

I'm not sure about Haruhi's Wisdom being unusually low... it's more like she has a above average wisdom with a character flaw for being a little too willing to accept explanations that appeal to her interests.
To add a touch of Fallout to this, I'd clock Kyon's perception as being maxed out (10 for a Fallout 3 player... but you obviously have a different cap...) with Haruhi's perception as being around 4.

I don't know why, but Haruhi can't quite seem to just notice the little things.
The girl has blinders, it would seem. Which is hilarious, though considering she's allegedly logical internally, it makes sense (if in a dubious manner).

And I'd note the slight loss of focus, but that's par for the course, if I remember this forum right.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 01:23   Link #18211
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
To add a touch of Fallout to this, I'd clock Kyon's perception as being maxed out (10 for a Fallout 3 player... but you obviously have a different cap...) with Haruhi's perception as being around 4.
I was going off the D&D system, but that's mainly because it's the one that instantly jumps into my head when character statistics are mentioned.

Quote:
I don't know why, but Haruhi can't quite seem to just notice the little things.
The girl has blinders, it would seem. Which is hilarious, though considering she's allegedly logical internally, it makes sense (if in a dubious manner).
That's what I was getting at with the character flaw bit... she is normally fairly perceptive and has a keen mind, but also has a very particular worldview that rather powerfully colors what she takes notice of and how she thinks about it.

The other reason I argue against the low wisdom is she doesn't come close to any of the classic examples of low Wisdom characters. She's just... quirky.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 01:26   Link #18212
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I give up trying to point out that Haruhi would have to be denser than a neutron star to truly be as oblivious as she seems. The Brigade, Nagato and Kyon especially, are absolutely horrible at actually keeping things from her.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 01:47   Link #18213
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Exactly.

Low-Wisdom characters can be based around 'forgetful', but I've mostly seem them as 'insane', 'lacking common sense' and 'oblivious', all of which Haruhi is.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:00   Link #18214
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
What would be Sasaki's wisdom score? She behaves with more common sense, but being Haruhi's nemesis means flaws in her conformist philosophy is going to be played up for the plot.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 02:02   Link #18215
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
What would be Sasaki's wisdom score? She behaves with more common sense, but being Haruhi's nemesis means flaws in her conformist philosophy is going to be played up for the plot.
Sasaki has no Cha as a trade off for having more Wis. I can't think of anyone with less force of personality than Sasaki.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:10   Link #18216
Heatth

Quote:
Sasaki has no Cha as a trade off for having more Wis. I can't think of anyone with less force of personality than Sasaki.
Kyon? It probably how he seens to be to most. I mean, he aparent to be just like Sasaki. This is also the point isn't it?

Of course, us, as readers, know how awesome he is. But I doubt Taniguchi, Kunikida or even Mikuru and Itsuki (when they first met) know this.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:12   Link #18217
otai

Quote:
Not too big of a difference though. She has the ability to charm 8/10 men, according to Itsuki. Her lower physicals would make up for the difference, being a normal girl compared to Haruhi's freakish abilities.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:15   Link #18218
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Again, I don't like the idea of Cha as attractiveness/looks. Tying a mental stat to a physical attribute seems pointless... unless you houserule that you have to roll Bluff checks to seduce people.

I digress.

The point is that Sasaki is ridiculously unassuming and does what she's told, only going with the flow.

Reminds me of Doc Manhattan. Of course, Yuki also reminds me of Doc Manhattan, but...
Old 2009-08-08, 02:29   Link #18219
otai

I'd say it's not just her looks. She seems to handle people really well; for examples, she keeps better contact with their middle school friends than Kyon, and even tries to manage the seating arrangements for the sake of that guys secret crush. She has that same kind of socialability as Ryoko; both should have a higher Cha than say, Mikuru or even, Tsuruya.
Old 2009-08-08, 02:33   Link #18220
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I don't know if social skills should be under Cha or Wis... probably Cha, you're right.

...Maybe Haruhi and Sasaki have the exact same stats?

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan