AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-11, 12:55   Link #1
gh0stmice
*Artist

anime featuring cast of 18-25 year olds

i'm kinda tired of watching highschool romances and highschool kinds getting superpowers. I wanna watch a series that has characters around my same age bracket, 18-25. i'm not saying action and romances arn't what im looking for; i'm just tryin to watch something geared toward a slightly older crowd.maybe something similar to REC, but not necessarily a slice of life show. i hope your understanding what im trying to say.

and also, plz let them be good series. i'd rather be watching good shows featuring a high school student cast than a bad series that has a college student cast(much like what i'm requesting)

just so you know, i make it rain like erry day
Old 2008-11-11, 13:09   Link #2
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You could try Welcome to the NHK. Kinda fits your requisites and it is a damn good series.

Old 2008-11-11, 13:13   Link #3
Smithsky

Try Nodame Cantabile and Genshiken
Old 2008-11-11, 13:18   Link #4
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Honey and Clover comes to mind.

For something older, try CLAMP's Chobits if you've not seen it - with Hideki being a pre-college student.

(Coincidentally, both feature the awesome Sugita "Kyon" Tomokaze)

Or if you want something darker, then Monster. Death Note may or may not fall into your category as well.
Old 2008-11-11, 13:22   Link #5
gh0stmice
*Artist

darn, ive seen all of those...
but i liked them all, so you are on the right track...

i especially liked welcome to the nhk and nodame cantabile
Old 2008-11-11, 13:40   Link #6
xia

Um how about Rumbling Hearts? I dont know it's exactly slice of life... and it get's pretty dramatic, but it's a compelling show.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
Old 2008-11-11, 13:46   Link #7
gh0stmice
*Artist

darn iv'e seen that too....

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gh0stmice

there is my list...it's short, but i think iv'e watched a lot of the essentials
Old 2008-11-11, 14:44   Link #8
jedinat

Nana
Emma
Maison Ikkoku
Planetes
Old 2008-11-11, 16:56   Link #9
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I second Nana and Planetes.
Also Hataraki Man - it's about a female journalist who is twenty something.
Maybe Ghost in Shell:SAC, although its cast is older than 25. Anyway, it's about as close to total lack of teenaged character as one can get in the world of anime.

Old 2008-11-11, 17:19   Link #10
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
darn iv'e seen that too....

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/gh0stmice

there is my list...it's short, but i think iv'e watched a lot of the essentials
It looks like you have yet to watch Honey and Clover. It sounds perfect for you. Great series, beautiful animation, etc, and the characters are all grown up. Even though Hagumi -one of the main charaters - looks like a kid, she's 18.
Old 2008-11-11, 17:30   Link #11
xplicitz

You could try Spice and Wolf, a short 12 ep series, set in a medival-ish time. It has an interesting theme : economy. There's some hint of romance and also some supernatural elements involved. The main char is in his 20s I think, and the female lead is a "wolf-goddess". Overall, a decent series with a slightly more "mature" feel to it?
Old 2008-11-11, 17:46   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Genshiken (Although it might be a little too random in spots)…

ParadiseKiss (If you want young adult relationship done right without the kiddy bullcrap or the endlessly annoying male lead who’s too scared to even touch the girl, this is for you)…

Gankutsuou (lots of adult themes with romance between characters in that age group, but older love triangles and lover deceptions aswell…Lots of cool action and visual epicness in this title)…

Golden Boy (More of an ecchi title, but it’s got heart, great animation, and adult characters mostly in their 20’s)

And I’ll also second Welcome to the NHK (Finally an otaku//hikkikimori story that’s actually RELATABLE to the real world, unfortunately it’s the only show of its kind)…

Any further suggestion would prolly be heading toward H-territory, but surprisingly enuff there are a few good adult titles that aren’t just comical rapeage^^…Futari Ecchi which is prolly more ecchi than the other thing is pretty darn good as far as realistic 20-something relationship stuff goes…
Old 2008-11-11, 17:53   Link #13
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Mushishi
Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent
Nana
PlanetES

And if you can handle a movie fulfilling the criteria you asked for:

Paprika
Millenium Actress
Tokyo Gofathers
Old 2008-11-11, 18:56   Link #14
gh0stmice
*Artist

i think im going to go with nana, planetes, and possibly emma(because it has such a high rating on anidb); and maybe paradise kiss also

i saw the live action honey and clover, so there won't be any surprises during the anime

i've already seen tokyo godfathers and loved it, and same goes for spice and wolf

mushishi, ergo proxy, and paranoia agent i had started but never got into them, though they were far above average and had substantial artistic merit

thank you guys for your recommendations; i greatly appreciate them
Old 2008-11-11, 20:52   Link #15
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
romance that is not highschool love.. Detroit metal city perhaps? =P
though the romance isnt a constant thing
Old 2008-11-11, 21:15   Link #16
gh0stmice
*Artist

ahh, i totally doesn't have to be romance...it can be anything, as long as it has a cast roughly between the ages of 18 to 25

but i heard Detroit metal city was really funny so i'm gonna watch that anyways
Old 2008-11-11, 21:36   Link #17
Theowne
耳をすませば

I second "Maison Ikkoku". It is a classic and can get more mature than the typical high school romances and less shallow (in my opinion), than the Nana's of the world. Though that's just my preference.
Old 2008-11-11, 22:02   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Saiunkoku Monogatari hasn't been mentioned so far. The heroine is 16 when the show starts, but most of the other characters are between 19 and 25. There are some older adults and a couple of young teens in major roles as well.

Moyashimon is a comedy set at an agricultural university. All the main characters except the sensei are in your target group.

In Bartender the "Glass of the Gods" Ryuu is probably a bit over 25. His admirer, Miwa, is a few years younger. Many of the patrons are over 25, but they sometimes reminisce about their younger lives.

The currently airing Kurozuka features immortal vampires, but visually they're in their early twenties. It's a romance.

I endorse Hataraki Man as well, though it's a slice-of-life show about patriarchy in the Japanese workplace. There's a bit of romance, but it largely focuses on Hiroko's struggles as an ambitious magazine editor. Great seiyuu performance by Tanaka Rie in an uncharacteristic role.

Yomigaeru Sora - Rescue Wings is a slice-of-life show about a helicopter rescue squad. Most everyone's a young adult as I recall.

I didn't see Chobits on your list either. The story concerns a college student who discovers a beautiful android in a garbage heap.

The main characters in Oh! Edo Rocket are also in your target age range, though the large supporting cast runs the age gamut from about 12 to ??.

Toshokan Sensou ("Library Wars") posits a world where armed censors fight armed librarians over what books people may read. I had trouble with the premise, but there's a nice romance between two young adults and some excellent supporting characters in the same age group.

Another vote for Planetes as well.
Old 2008-11-12, 00:22   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I second Nodame Cantabile and also Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I also recommend REC, probably the most realistic series I've seen.

Apparently I didn't read the original post carefully enough. Seirei no Moribito may be another good choice. If you don't mind anime that features characters younger than typical high school age, then you might want to try Now and Then, Here and There.
Old 2008-11-12, 05:30   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

Black Blood Brothers: The protagonist appears in his 20s, but is a few hundred years old.
Black Lagoon: The protagonist is your typical businessman.
Blassreiter: Everybody is in their mid-20s to possibly 30s.
Death Note: Both Yagami Light and L are in their 20s.
Devil May Cry: Dante is not in high school, I don't think.
Golgo 13: The protagonist is possibly in his 50s.
Kurozuka: Both Yoshitsune and Benkei seems to be in their 20s or 30s.
Memories Off #5: A short ova.
Tokko: Everybody are in their 20s or 30s.
Xenosaga: A rather awful anime adaption of the awesome game.
Yakushiji Ryoko: The protagonist and female lead are in their 30s.
Closed Thread