AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 186 70.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 16.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 2.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-29, 16:36   Link #21
Phoenix14
Clannad

Sad, but good. Looks like next will be the Kotomi route?
Old 2007-11-29, 16:45   Link #22
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I'm sorry... I'm so teary eyed right now...

Spoiler for please step out of the room... i'd like to be alone now:

There were a few things I didn't like about the episode in terms of plot, but I still have to give it a 10 out of 10.
Old 2007-11-29, 16:57   Link #23
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots of episode 9 courtesy of Random Curiosity. Pls. look at it at your own risk!
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-11-29, 17:03   Link #24
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Spoiler:

Overall, this episode worked far better for me than the ending of the Makoto arc in Kanon. Color me pleasantly surprised with how everything was handled. Really nice, and it'll flow beautifully into the next arc.
Old 2007-11-29, 17:04   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2007-11-29, 17:12   Link #26
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
He says Tomoyo, Kotomi, Kyou, and Fuko, but he calls Ryou "Fujibayashi" and Nagisa "Furukawa." Is it just random or is their relevance to this?
In Japan calling someone by their first name is something only done by family members and really, really close friends done during your youngster years. Even when you become really acquainted with someone during your adulthood it is psychologically impossible for the average Japanese to call them by their First name. So when two friends start calling each other by their first friend represent that they have surpassed another of the many facades Japanese society makes its members hide beneath.
Old 2007-11-29, 17:18   Link #27
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
I have a question about something odd I noticed after watching this episode... why is it that Tomoya calls certain people by their first names and others by their last?

He says Tomoyo, Kotomi, Kyou, and Fuko, but he calls Ryou "Fujibayashi" and Nagisa "Furukawa." Is it just random or is their relevance to this?

Spoiler for My poor explaination:

Old 2007-11-29, 17:18   Link #28
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuto19 View Post
Yeah seems like it might end, not sure though, if it does hope it gives us a clue at who's arc is next
I think the next arc is Fujibayashi Sister's/Kyou's, if not, then it's Kotomi's. I'm pretty sure Tomoyo's arc is at episode 14-17 or 14-19. After that, then it'll be Nagisa's arc.

I'm wrong, for sure. I'm saying this in base of Kanon '06.
Old 2007-11-29, 17:20   Link #29
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I think the next arc is Fujibayashi Sister's/Kyou's, if not, then it's Kotomi's.
The next arc is Kotomi's.
Old 2007-11-29, 17:20   Link #30
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasuberi View Post
Spoiler for My poor explanation:
Aa, ProtoMan beat me to it. However we both share different explanations so oh well. : O

Old 2007-11-29, 17:27   Link #31
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Spoiler for Ep 9 spoiler:
Old 2007-11-29, 17:45   Link #32
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
speechless...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-11-29, 17:48   Link #33
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

One reaction:

*Weep*

It's been a long time since a weeped over an anime...... That was powerful.

Next Arc: Finally, KOTOMI-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2007-11-29, 18:55   Link #34
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
I have a question about something odd I noticed after watching this episode... why is it that Tomoya calls certain people by their first names and others by their last?

Apart from the cultural factor ProtoMan, it is also because that Tomoya know some of them better--Kyou for example. It was not told in the anime, but actually they knew each other from the 2nd year of high school already. It's also a way to distinguish between the twins.
And for Fuko's case, it's because Tomoya treats her as a lower class man, "Kohai" in Japanese. It is all right to call those of lower ranking than yours by their first name, even though not very common.
And for Kotomi's case...he is forced to, and she won't even respond with the "-chan" ending...

Watched the RAW of it, quite teary, but I didn't burst out in tears like when I played the game. There are sometimes where words speaks better than pictures and sounds I guess...

P.S. trying to drag my brother into the world of anime, everyone cheer me on!
Old 2007-11-29, 19:38   Link #35
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Seriously, this arc got a dramatic, yet satisfying end.

About Tomoya calling Ryou 'Fujibayashi', also as a form of respect, since Ryou is his class rep.

Last edited by kct; 2007-11-29 at 19:53.
Old 2007-11-29, 20:32   Link #36
amoirsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
And for Kotomi's case...he is forced to, and she won't even respond with the "-chan" ending...
No no no, it's she won't even respond without the -chan ending lol. Is this relevant? Somewhat yes, but that's all I'll say. (Note: the anime already has a basis since it's clearly displayed).

And uh I don't think Tomoya would call Ryou by name if she weren't class president. I really don't think so. Don't forget how similar Tomoyo and Kyou are to Tomoya, so the increased familiarity is easier to implement (I think the word was tomboyish, and there were multiple instances of such hinting).

Although I thought the timing of Fuuko's arc was still weird, the advantages are clear (though if it were second to last, running right into Nagisa's route wouldn't be unusual, and that's the only oddity since Nagisa's relevance was high, the momentum would be good.) On the other hand, reducing usage of Fuuko works too since her route emphasis was great, and her comedy resources more or less were all used up (oh except for *that* one, but the main idea more or less is the same.). Since the ending execution ran well, as well as the circumstances, you have slight ambiguity in mystery, but a happy ending, and a resolution that does not generate a loss of momentum.

And of course Kotomi's route is independent of Fuuko's (and even if that weren't the case, the way the anime is right now already will not have Fuuko's presence since the arc just ended). Though it's kind of funny because of the 0 correlation, it's like whoah, Kotomi's air time like quadrupled (seriously, in episode 10 it probably will easily exceed her total air time.). Thank goodness Kotomi's route is next. If she was used later like after Tomoyo or Kyou's route, then the amount of buildup in her character would be horrid (and right now it is horrid, so the company should go into her route to counterbalance that. Also, it will make more sense as the series continues due to the circumstances. Heck the preview already indirectly states the advantages of running her route first. The conditions that are preset should be identifyable.).

Nagisa incorporation works, but I guess it was an additive that Kyoani wanted to make her emphasized and to make her own route more sufficient to prevent isolated circumstances where it's only male lead and focus girl.

Great conclusion, now I will wait another week to enjoy my favourite route. I just hope they input *that* and *that* and *that*. If Kyoani doesn't go all out in Kotomi's route, her character would be far too shorthanded (and yes, relative to other characters currently, Kotomi is extremely shorthanded, and her stereotypical character format doesn't make her a great side character like Kyou who is versatile in any sort of scene, thus using her route to make her the focus character and not have to use her in later routes is a good timing choice.). Oh and of course, the conditions. I hope they use 3, not 4 episodes (1 on route running, 2 on continuation + issue impending, 3 being the resolution). 4 episodes would be suicide in terms of route balance unless they're definitely truncating something.

Unfortunately, because of how Fuuko's route works and the timing of it, the linearity and the conclusion were much more straightforward (and you can assume the other routes don't function like Fuuko's by default). Great execution, let's hope they can keep it up (uh that's also why I would have wanted Fuuko's route second last, because the momentum into Nagisa's route would net better conclusiveness since the route doesn't really use any other main girl characters anyway.)

I'll rate the episode after I see the subbed, though it looks good in terms of conclusiveness and impact.

EDIT: Wahahaha. Good eye, pagan.

Last edited by amoirsp; 2007-11-29 at 20:40. Reason: Random note.
Old 2007-11-29, 20:33   Link #37
FCS-31

Great........the first ANA is great........

I will still waiting for that time's ANA.......the memory on the train.......

Ryou is name,and Fujibayashi is family name.
Old 2007-11-29, 20:35   Link #38
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
Spoiler for Ep 9 spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
No no no, it's she won't even respond without the -chan ending lol. Is this relevant? Somewhat yes, but that's all I'll say. (Note: the anime already has a basis since it's clearly displayed).

And uh I don't think Tomoya would call Ryou by name if she weren't class president. I really don't think so. Don't forget how similar Tomoyo and Kyou are to Tomoya, so the increased familiarity is easier to implement (I think the word was tomboyish, and there were multiple instances of such hinting).

Although I thought the timing of Fuuko's arc was still weird, the advantages are clear (though if it were second to last, running right into Nagisa's route wouldn't be unusual, and that's the only oddity since Nagisa's relevance was high, the momentum would be good.) On the other hand, reducing usage of Fuuko works too since her route emphasis was great, and her comedy resources more or less were all used up (oh except for *that* one, but the main idea more or less is the same.). Since the ending execution ran well, as well as the circumstances, you have slight ambiguity in mystery, but a happy ending, and a resolution that does not generate a loss of momentum.

And of course Kotomi's route is independent of Fuuko's (and even if that weren't the case, the way the anime is right now already will not have Fuuko's presence since the arc just ended). Though it's kind of funny because of the 0 correlation, it's like whoah, Kotomi's air time like quadrupled (seriously, in episode 10 it probably will easily exceed her total air time.). Thank goodness Kotomi's route is next. If she was used later like after Tomoyo or Kyou's route, then the amount of buildup in her character would be horrid (and right now it is horrid, so the company should go into her route to counterbalance that. Also, it will make more sense as the series continues due to the circumstances. Heck the preview already indirectly states the advantages of running her route first. The conditions that are preset should be identifyable.).

Nagisa incorporation works, but I guess it was an additive that Kyoani wanted to make her emphasized and to make her own route more sufficient to prevent isolated circumstances where it's only male lead and focus girl.

Great conclusion, now I will wait another week to enjoy my favourite route. I just hope they input *that* and *that* and *that*. If Kyoani doesn't go all out in Kotomi's route, her character would be far too shorthanded (and yes, relative to other characters currently, Kotomi is extremely shorthanded, and her stereotypical character format doesn't make her a great side character like Kyou who is versatile in any sort of scene, thus using her route to make her the focus character and not have to use her in later routes is a good timing choice.). Oh and of course, the conditions. I hope they use 3, not 4 episodes (1 on route running, 2 on continuation + issue impending, 3 being the resolution). 4 episodes would be suicide in terms of route balance unless they're definitely truncating something.

Unfortunately, because of how Fuuko's route works and the timing of it, the linearity and the conclusion were much more straightforward (and you can assume the other routes don't function like Fuuko's by default). Great execution, let's hope they can keep it up (uh that's also why I would have wanted Fuuko's route second last, because the momentum into Nagisa's route would net better conclusiveness since the route doesn't really use any other main girl characters anyway.)

I'll rate the episode after I see the subbed, though it looks good in terms of conclusiveness and impact.
Your extreme vagueness about Kotomi's route has peaked my curiosity. Can you PM me spoilers please? :X
Old 2007-11-29, 20:41   Link #39
Chewy

Stupid Clannad music, always, ALWAYS gets to me.

I stopped watching Clannad a few episodes back, but popped back for this episode to see how they would handle one of my favorite scenes from the game. I am surprised I STILL got choked up when ANA started playing... well done, well done.
Old 2007-11-29, 22:54   Link #40
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Once, twice, three times... kind of throws you off your rocker if you have to prepare yourself for Fuuko's departure... repeatedly. Looking forward to the last ep now.
Closed Thread