AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-09, 17:09   Link #381
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah i don't see a conclusion, though i'm fine with that because the manga is still on going.
Old 2010-12-10, 02:18   Link #382
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Just started this show last week, this is one of the best comedy/romance/drama shows I have seen in a while XD I can't get enough of it!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 02:26   Link #383
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The biggest thing I'm seeing from the series so far is that it looks to be a small... segment of a much larger story, but something of a self-contained story in itself. It's fine because it can end its plot without feeling like something is missing.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 15:17   Link #384
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That driver is one awesome character, I tell you.

And Kuranosuke is still as hopeless as ever.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 16:38   Link #385
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That driver is one awesome character, I tell you.
That guy would sell out his mother for a Benz

This week's episode had a lot of funny moments: the driver, the P.I, Tsukimi jumping out the window, etc... I thought it was rather underwhelming plot-wise, though. I'm getting seriously tired of Tsukimi's constant lament about her alleged ugliness. The lyrics of the ending fit the show so much: she desperately needs to realize how beautiful she is!
Old 2010-12-11, 02:45   Link #386
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What a wonderful feel this episode had, just the interior lives of the characters - especially Kuranosuke. There wasn't a lot of plot advancement but so much character development - more like the first few eps than the last one. Rarely have I seen the slow process of a boy falling for a girl portrayed with as much intelligence and humor as it has been here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 11:20   Link #387
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

WTB Apartment Complex

The above two screenshots in conflict completely encapsulates the completely dysmorphic and altered sense of self that Tsukimi has. If we can consider the viewers viewpoint to be similar to that of Kuranosuke, then there is no question which of these two screenshots is the real physical profile of Tsukimi. She has and still is continuing to put herself down, especially every time she feels she is being compared to other girls she thinks to be much prettier than a girl like her. She has always dreamed about having a wedding dress that resembles a jellyfish, but considers it an impossibility for someone like “her.” Kuranosuke is the first person to have ever seen her in what she dreamed her jellyfish image would be, and I’d be a fucking liar if denied she looks absolutely stunning in her pretend outfit. Indeed she does, but yet again her mental image of herself clashes with reality. As we have already seen, she insists on her own fallacious reality than the one Kuranosuke has been trying to show her.

It would seem that the only person she really believed in was her mother, taking her truth to be real and taking others with a grain of salt. Losing her has changed her perspective in life definitely, but for her to really change there needs to come to a point when she can trust the words of others that she isn’t what she thinks she is. She needs to believe that she is better than what she thinks she is.

The above two screenshots in conflict completely encapsulates the completely dysmorphic and altered sense of self that Tsukimi has. If we can consider the viewers viewpoint to be similar to that of Kuranosuke, then there is no question which of these two screenshots is the real physical profile of Tsukimi. She has and still is continuing to put herself down, especially every time she feels she is being compared to other girls she thinks to be much prettier than a girl like her. She has always dreamed about having a wedding dress that resembles a jellyfish, but considers it an impossibility for someone like “her.” Kuranosuke is the first person to have ever seen her in what she dreamed her jellyfish image would be, and I’d be a fucking liar if denied she looks absolutely stunning in her pretend outfit. Indeed she does, but yet again her mental image of herself clashes with reality. As we have already seen, she insists on her own fallacious reality than the one Kuranosuke has been trying to show her.

It would seem that the only person she really believed in was her mother, taking her truth to be real and taking others with a grain of salt. Losing her has changed her perspective in life definitely, but for her to really change there needs to come to a point when she can trust the words of others that she isn’t what she thinks she is. She needs to believe that she is better than what she thinks she is.
Old 2010-12-16, 14:23   Link #388
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 10:

God it's so hilarious how the two politicians so naturally have a convo about who Shu bunked with. I can just imagine David Cameron and Nick Clegg doing that. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 15:58   Link #389
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 09:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
God it's so hilarious how the two politicians so naturally have a convo about who Shu bunked with.
The 'school girl conversation' was hilarious.
Old 2010-12-16, 17:42   Link #390
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I actually laughed out loud at Banba's method of scaring off thieves, that's just brilliant.
Spoiler:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 12:36   Link #391
Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I actually laughed out loud at Banba's method of scaring off thieves, that's just brilliant.
Spoiler:

That reaction of hers was totally a Saint Seiya reference

Oh, how I love thee, StS. First with Arawaka Under The Bridge, and now this
Old 2010-12-18, 03:28   Link #392
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suspect Inari may be feeling a trace of guilt over fooling Shu into thinking his innocence was lost.

That last scene was incredibly impactful - it didn't hit me until after the scene started that it might be Kura carrying Tsukimi to bed. It was a great, simply heartwarming moment - a straightforward display of love on his part and I think an important milestone for the series. I'm intrigued by the fact that he seems, increasingly, to be wearying of woman's clothes. He says it's "a pain", or they're too cold, but in reality I think his feelings for Tsukimi are changing his feelings about himself. The fantasy world he created around cross-dressing suddenly has some real competition for his interest. Being with Tsukimi - as a man - is usurping wearing a dress on his priority list.
Old 2010-12-18, 04:54   Link #393
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^ I concur. The final scene was easily the best part of this episode. Really sweet and heartwarming. I'm a bit disappointed the plot progressed so predictably (kind of wanted Tsukimi to end up with Shu at first), but such scenes make up for it.

I thought the drama was kind of ruined by the Vixen's over-exaggerated reaction to Shu being a virgin. I still loathe her, by the way, and I seriously doubt she feels any guilt for what she's doing. On the hand, I love the driver even more after this episode. I laughed so hard when he gave her a tissue, I thought it was just a pure gentlemanly gesture, but nope, he simply didn't want her to get snot on the seats

Prime minister was also awesome as always.
Old 2010-12-19, 00:06   Link #394
Kirarakim

The Driver is definitely my favorite character. He steals the show every episode.
Old 2010-12-21, 01:27   Link #395
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

http://meotwister5.wordpress.com/201...am-of-jellies/

The dream of jellyfish is really something that comforts Tsukimi. More than that however we now understand that it is also her escapist fantasy, a fantasy she goes to when the troubles and trials of real life prove too much for her to bear. What is not striking about her fantasies is that it has been invaded by real life in the form of Molester Developer Lady, so perhaps even her own private paradise has been compromised to some extent. Even in her own bedroom she couldn’t get a wink of sleep without that old hag coming in and spoiling her imagination, forcing her to resort to alcohol to drown her sorrows and get some shut eye. Her dreams have been her only mode of relief from her pains in real life, even if those things she believes in real life are really just all in her head. Manufactured angst if you will, that do not really represent real life.

It is arguable that a lot of her problems, especially the way she views herself, are really just constructs of her own mind. A very dysmorphic and disproportionate sense of self that doesn’t really even project in reality by default. She only becomes ugly because she wills it and actively embraces it. Kuranosuke has already proven this to be false. She really is beautiful, inside and out, and she only becomes ugly because she does it to herself.
Old 2010-12-23, 03:17   Link #396
Falkor

it feels like a long while that I haven't posted here.

episode 07

If there's something about Kuragehime that I always enjoy is the humor and the way characters interact. Mayaya's rap was so random and yet unexpectedly funny, but that was not the only instance where I had a good laugh. Like Kuranosuke lying to Inari and knocking her to the floor, or him trying to sell Chieko's dolls. There's something genuine about kuragehime, and yet not superficial.

One thing we are slowly exploring and learning more about is Tsukimi's feelings. I think she has started to see herself more like a girl: not only does she dream of love, but her feelings are also being captivated by the meaning of this word. Tsukimi as a character is someone very complex: her thoughts, her actions and her different traits leave room for much interpretation. From this perspective, I would like to say that she seems particularly confused about her feelings, not in the sense that she's wondering whether it's love what she feels, but whether it's ok for her to feel the way she feels, unable to understand its meaning. it doesn't really help that the "object of her love" is "ambiguous" about this relationship, and whose actions only add more to her confusion. Maybe at this point it's very difficult to talk about love, but more about her relationship towards someone of the opposite sex and the uneasiness this creates in her. First being ignored and then having her hand grabbed, only discover later that he had spent the night with another female. Her confusion is caused in part because she can't help but wonder what the other person feels about her. It frustrates her that she can't really understand his actions, that she doesn't know his feelings. I want to think this is the reason why she cried in Kuranosuke's arms. Ironically, she hasn't realized that Shuu is only attracted to the "after Tsukimi".

Another thing that I thought interesting is Tsukimi's refusal to allow Inari inside her room. I think her actions are driven by the frustration and confusion that were starting to grow in her, which rejected both, the idea idea of connecting the dots and the conclusion she was coming. Oddly enough, I see it as something more symbolic: like trying to assert who she was by rejecting the person whose qualities she opposed. I think Tsukimi understands how different they are, but she doesn't want to become a person like her, even though she may not grasp the reason why. Another interpretation that I have in mind: had she accepted her presence in the room, she would have been forced to deny her existence and the relationship she believed existed between Shuu and her. I'm not exactly exactly sure if Tsukimi dislikes her, as much as she's unsettled by Shuu's actions, which inevitably involves Inari.

I think Shuu doesn't deserve to be Tsukimi's object of admiration, but it allows us to see something more interesting in Tsukimi's and Kuranosuke's relationship, plus the feelings the latter is developing.

We are starting to starting to discover a new Kuranosuke as he comes closer to Tsukimi (to the point where he is about to kiss her). It's funny that he can't believe his actions, or even admit himself that he has started to fall for her. I believe this conflict is what makes his relationship to her more refreshing if not interesting: it doesn't exactly revolve around romance, but explores the great dynamics of these two in a more conventional friendship, with room for something more. Of course, she doesn't see romantic interest in him; and he doesn't want to admit that he has started to see her more than a friend. But that's exactly what I love about this work: even when it comes to romance, there is no easy answer.

====

episode 08

I think I have a really short term memory, but this show might really become my favorite comedy of the year. Nothing has made laugh as much as Kuragehime did. Hanamori was especially funny during this episode (his little mishap comes to mind). When he was first introduced a couple of episodes ago, I couldn't imagine how funny he would be be, and he's surprisingly funny when it comes to benz. :P (oh and Inari's blackmail methods were very funny, too).

Inari's says a very intriguing line during this episode: "I just wanted to see you"---which is exactly the same thing Kuranosuke said to Tsukimi earlier in the show. It's ironic that this is coming from Inari and is directed towards Shuu. The roles are somehow inverted, but it's very analogous to this earlier scene. The speaker in both cases are good looking people, and the receptors are both virgins, for the most obvious things in common; of course, the same line is used to justify their presence in front of the other (they didn't really have a reason to begin with). However, there's something else that caught my attention, is that both embody this sense of physical beauty I have been talking about earlier. I want to think again that the work is trying to say something with regards to it, that perhaps our perception of the characters are tied to how we visually perceive them: having two different beauties may draw a more interesting comparison. Kuranosuke can be frontal, selfish (and a beauty), but also be very kind-hearted. Inari is ambitious and has the looks, but her actions are tainted by her methods (lying and blackmailing). I may be reading too deeply, but again, it reinforces this view that there's a lot more to the characters than how they look.

Another recurring motif of this work that has been intriguing me is the dress and its connection to the jellyfish subject. The first thing that comes to mind is the association of this white dress to the idea of marriage, but I also want to think of it as a metaphor to womanhood and perhaps fulfillment. It really intrigues me how this image/idea of the dress keeps juxtaposing/interweaving with the picture of a jellyfish. On one hand, it might reinforce Tsukimi's values, the part that says she wants to become someone who is not judged by her external appearance. The jellyfish is the subject of her thoughts, while the dress is the medium to paint her strokes on---this represents how her ideas and thoughts are materialized. So maybe we are actually talking about a more personal aspect to this metaphor. The best I come up with, from the perspective of the work, is that finally wearing the white dress means that she will be able to understand her mother words. The metaphor may simply reflect an element of fulfillment that Tsukimi's character is wishing for. It's funny, for example, that during this episode she doesn't see herself wearing that beautiful white dress yet, even though she looks gorgeous.

The other image that continues to intrigue me is the closet full of dresses from Kuranosuke's childhood memory. It is his dream, but also his mother's. In a way, fulfilling this dream means that he is getting closer to understanding his mother's words. I get the feeling he doesn't quite know what she meant, so he hopes that by making dresses with Tsukimi, he will come closer to achieving a form a of fulfillment as well.

Oddly enough, the two of them are more similar than I first thought. Not only do they share a strong attachment for their respective mother, but they also have a very fond memory of them, which relates directly to their dreams and interests.

I think Kuranosuke has been slowly developing feelings for Tsukimi. He's very prideful and doesn't want to admit that he will ever fall for a girl. It's strange that he doesn't quite see Tsukimi with a clear romantic interest, but is actually more reserved about keeping his current relationship with her: like very good friends, but not quite lovers yet. He seems to particularly enjoy helping Tsukimi: hanging out with her, trying to understand her and taking her out of her comfort zone. There's a connection to her he can't help but cherish. Being with her has allowed him to remember his dreams and interests, more specifically, his fond memories of his mother; and in a way, he wants to reciprocate those feelings.

Tsukimi, on the other hand, continues to develop as a character around her mother words. I'm glad there's always a focus on her thoughts and feelings, as she slowly comes to understand herself and the people surrounding her. I would like to say that we are starting to see a different Tsukimi from the one we were first introduced. Her development is not exactly about how much she has changed (she had, but very subtly), but how much we got to know about her thoughts, feelings and interests. It is strange, I get the feeling there's a lot we learned, but still a lot more to be learned.

random: favorite "Tsukimi After".

====

episode 09

The episode had some very interesting parts. I loved the humor again: Hanamori and the benz, the prime minister in school girl attire, Inari's fake tears---so random and yet so fun. oh something I also loved was Tsukimi's geek talk, repeating the same thing twice---it reminded me of myself. :P

There were many intriguing things during this episode, so I would start with the lipstick stain in Inari's cup of tea. It surprises how well it fits Inari's character and the role she plays by coercing Shuu to do as she wishes. She's a stain, to put it bluntly; but not only that, she's a stain on a white surface. I think we can interpret this white as purity, or in case of Shuu, his virginity and naivety. It's the kind of stain that doesn't go away even if you rub it with your finger; and that's the kind of role Inari is playing in the story, by blackmailing and sticking close the Shuu until she fulfills her goals. Even if he kindly asks her, she won't leave him alone just like that.

I really felt bad for Tsukimi. She doesn't deserve to be treated this way. I could understand her thoughts, I could feel her emotions: how she wanted to run away, to have all unsettling memories disappear from her mind.

On the other hand, it was nice that we discovered a little more about Tsukimi through the flashback, especially how attached she was to her mother. It's strange that remembering her causes sadness in Tsukimi, but can also give her comfort.

Something that caught my attention, which I found particularly strange, is the fact Tsukimi was swimming around highly poisonous jellyfish in what is supposed to be a comforting dream. I wonder if those jellyfish represent a character like the brothers. Using this line of thought, it might be safe to assume that they are a metaphor to Inari's character, in a poison kind of sense. On the other hand, they may also represent those unsettling memories she wished could disappear, by imagine them all as jellyfish. The poison reinforces this negative connotation she had associated to them. But why jellyfish, then? This makes me believe that she doesn't want to judge his character or her character, in the same way she thinks a jellyfish can't be judged as cute. I might be stretching my interpretation a bit, but I found it interesting that even though these things happen to her and she doesn't like it, she hasn't come to hate Shuu or Inari for that.

Something that I found intriguing is how Kuranosuke resembles his mother while he carries Tsukimi in his arms. Using that wig and having one eye covered by his hair, he looks just like her. As someone has already mentioned, it does give the impression that he is filling the void in Tsukimi's heart by replacing her mother. His look, his "motherly" look, certainly add this impression to the scene. In a sense, Kuranosuke has been helping and supporting Tsukimi as the motherly figure she no longer had. Carrying her in his arms and looking like that sort of establishes his role and shows how important he is for her.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 16:12   Link #397
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 10:

I don't want this show to end.
Old 2010-12-23, 16:49   Link #398
Kazu-kun

Spoiler for episode 10 + episode 11 preview + rant:
Old 2010-12-23, 20:04   Link #399
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

After trying four times on Hulu to skip the opening song and being forced to watch that stupid Sprite ad each time , I've decided to just wait until episodes make their way to YouTube where they have no ads.

Every time Clara makes an appearance I'm just blown away with the remarkable job eleven-year-old Morohoshi Sumire does in the role. She demonstrates a considerable range of inflections and presents a depth of understanding that belies her age. She's the first young seiyuu since Aoi Yuuki that has caught my attention.

I've happened to see some excellent child actors on American television lately as well. I wonder if voice-acting is a more difficult task for a child since they have so little with which to work. Two recent episodes of House that I've watched had children in demanding roles as well, yet they can use their facial expressions and mannerisms as well as their voices. Just standing in front of a microphone at eleven and trying to imagine how to portray a jellyfish must be a pretty daunting task!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-12-24 at 08:58. Reason: spelling
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 03:03   Link #400
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another truly fantastic ep. My favorite moment was the same as Shiroth's, and I loved Shu's reaction in Inari's apartment as well. I just bemoan that this is ending when I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with these characters.

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance