AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-02, 11:14   Link #121
eru_panda
Seirei no Moribito????

Send a message via AIM to eru_panda
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The video you provided is part of the Death Note TV special that aired after the series. My post, the one you quoted, was written before the TV Special was available, and if I recall correctly before it even aired, and is thus based solely on the conclusion of the TV series.

As for Light becoming a shinigami in the Death Note TV Special, I've heard compelling arguments against this, but have not kept up with any recent discussion, so this might be outdated as well.

OHHHH ok. I hope he did become a shinigami, though, and i still want to see the whole DVD to see what happened.
Old 2008-07-05, 18:13   Link #122
Aquaman OS

If he did, he has no memory anymore anyway. Also he needs to follow the strict Shinigami laws and can't remain in the human world for long without becoming a personal Shinigami to a Death Note user.

Either way, his crusade is over. Kira isn't coming back.
Old 2008-07-11, 22:18   Link #123
eru_panda
Seirei no Moribito????

Send a message via AIM to eru_panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
If he did, he has no memory anymore anyway. Also he needs to follow the strict Shinigami laws and can't remain in the human world for long without becoming a personal Shinigami to a Death Note user.

Well, he shouldn't anyway, he wasn't a god after all. Gods don't die. He deserved it for all the innocent people he killed *sniffles* "OH L COME BACK!"
The little arrogant bastard Light is.
Old 2008-07-12, 19:42   Link #124
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post

there are "kira sequeals" with some other shinigami, but with near in charge of being L, it is very hard to get a "kira" that is surpass or on par with the original, because each deathnote dropped is randomly distributed, and there are only a few in the world that has intellegence come close to Light or L, and someone needs to surpass Light in order to beat near.

Its funny to see how the other shinigamis idolize ryuuk and try to get some human as wise and intellegence as Light
Old 2009-02-09, 09:26   Link #125
hort

just wondering...

Hello.. I have not read the whole thread... (keep that in mind)

I only watched the anime, but I totally saw the change back from light/kira but i must read the manga to see innocent light the anim did not ever get that across.

when I first saw L die it sucked and the rest seemed worse because of that. But, I just recently figured out (at least I think I did) that L never was fooled by light. There is the time that Light says something like "but what if i am not kira" and L says something like "that would make me the happiest person alive" but really sad like... I think he knew then that he had to die so N could catch Kira.. so the N story is just L's plan to its fruition.

anybody agree? does the manga support this?
Old 2009-02-09, 13:16   Link #126
Light_Yamagi_Kira
New Debate God.

L could never get ahead of the game; this is why Light (Kira) was so successful and at the end defeated L. Yes, L always had the hunch maybe even knew that Light was Kira. We all know that Light was L's number one suspect forever. Nevertheless it was all speculation, L needed evidence and or proof to convict Light - this is where Light perfected, he never let up and never mad mistakes. He never allowed L to get that far. Light really could have cared less if L suspected him because hunches and suspicion can only take you so far. It's the starting point and Light was not going to let L get any further. The difference between L and N is one thing... N was lucky enough to have one of his agents pick up on Mimaki's out of character day. I have much more respect for L, he was much better than N, N is a lucky little brat who thinks he's smarter than he is. Light was dominate over any character in the show - L was second.
Old 2009-06-02, 11:08   Link #127
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Since it probably can't be answered with a fact I'll post this here rather than the Q&A thread.

Lifespans seem to be set for every human. I would assume these are set from birth and can't be altered in anyway besides being killed via a Death Note.

That makes me think about the role of fate in Death Note. The fact that a persons length of life is set, does this mean his actions are pre-destined too? Or is it more like, if someones lifespan runs out when standing near a road it will have him be involved in an accident, or if the person is somewhere high up it will make him fall. Situational deaths like that... not necessarily having the method set in stone.

This brings me to Yagami Soichiro. Light in the end was blamed for his Father's death, yet Kira or not, his dad would have died sometime soon anyway. Seeing how Soichiro died in a normal way (non-Death Note induced death) means that even if you take the time between the point he did the 'eye' deal, to the point of his death times by 2 = His remaining lifespan.

So deal or not, he was fated to die soon anyway. Can it really be inferred that Light was the cause of his demise? Only people with the 'eye' and Death Gods can read other people's lifespan though, so I guess it doesn't really matter to the characters themselves like Matsuda. Not like you can pat him at the end when he finds out that Kira is Light and say: "Now, now, Soichiro was going to kick the bucket soon anyway."

I think it's just an interesting point to think about.
Old 2009-06-08, 17:57   Link #128
Light-Yagami-Kira
Light Yagami ~ New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Lifespans seem to be set for every human. I would assume these are set from birth and can't be altered in anyway besides being killed via a Death Note.
Yes, I like how you assumed that the lifespan began at birth rather than in the fetus. To give the human a fair lifespan, none of it would be used up within the womb. It would make sense to conclude that the lifespan began at the moment of birth.

Quote:
That makes me think about the role of fate in Death Note. The fact that a persons length of life is set, does this mean his actions are pre-destined too? Or is it more like, if someones lifespan runs out when standing near a road it will have him be involved in an accident, or if the person is somewhere high up it will make him fall. Situational deaths like that... not necessarily having the method set in stone.

The fate of the Death Note had authority over natural fate. Natural fate was set by the persons lifespan, but the Death Note dictated that by cutting off the human before his or her set time. And if the lifespan was set at birth then we can't assume it was predestined in anyway, seeing how "pre" would be before birth. The lifespan would also have nothing to do with the actions of the persons death caused by the Death Note. The Death Note defys the lifespan by killing the human before his appointed time.

Last edited by Light-Yagami-Kira; 2009-06-08 at 22:08.
Old 2009-06-08, 18:54   Link #129
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light-Yagami-Kira View Post
The fate of the Death Note had authority over natural fate. Natural fate was set by the persons lifespan, but the Death Note dictated that by cutting off the human before his or her set time. And if the lifespan was set at birth then we can't assume it was predestined in anyway, seeing how "pre" would be before birth. The lifespan would also have nothing to do with the actions of the persons death caused by the Death Note. The Death Note defys the lifespan by killing the human before his appointed time.
Yea, I know that the Death Note can kill people before their time, but Yagami Soichiro died a 'natural' death... he wasn't killed by a Death Note.

In the last episode Matsuda blames Light for causing Soichiro's death... BUT Soichiro didn't have much time left to live anyway. Soichiro took the 'Eye-Deal' and halved his lifespan. So the time it takes from the Eye-Deal to his Death x2 = His remaining natural lifespan. Not very much.

What I'm saying is that this means noone in the story's world is responsible for anyone's death. Everyone has a set time to die that can only be interfered with a Death Note. It makes you wonder if people actions are also influenced by this lifespan, if everything is just fated to happen. (Except for anything Death Note induced).
Old 2009-06-08, 21:40   Link #130
Light-Yagami-Kira
Light Yagami ~ New World

Quote:
In the last episode Matsuda blames Light for causing Soichiro's death... BUT Soichiro didn't have much time left to live anyway. Soichiro took the 'Eye-Deal' and halved his lifespan. So the time it takes from the Eye-Deal to his Death x2 = His remaining natural lifespan. Not very much.
Matsuda argued that if it wasn't for "Kira", Soichiro wouldn't have joined L's Investigation Team; and therefore, wouldn't have got shot and died. This is what Matsuda meant at the end when he said Light was responsible for LEADING Soichiro to his grave.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that this means noone in the story's world is responsible for anyone's death.
Umm... no; actually, everyone who kills with or without the Death Note is responsible for the ones they have killed. The lifespan can't influence you to kill yourself. Only when it runs out will you die.

Quote:
It makes you wonder if people actions are also influenced by this lifespan, if everything is just fated to happen. (Except for anything Death Note induced).
[COLOR="darkred"]

Only the Death Note can influence accidental deaths... Life span can't do shit.

Last edited by Light-Yagami-Kira; 2009-06-08 at 22:02.
Old 2009-06-09, 03:34   Link #131
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light-Yagami-Kira View Post
Matsuda argued that if it wasn't for "Kira", Soichiro wouldn't have joined L's Investigation Team; and therefore, wouldn't have got shot and died. This is what Matsuda meant at the end when he said Light was responsible for LEADING Soichiro to his grave.
Yea but what I'm saying is, wouldn't he have died anyway? What do you think of the 'Eye-Deal' calcuation I posted above? I know Light wouldn't know his father's lifespan... but still.

Quote:
Umm... no; actually, everyone who kills with or without the Death Note is responsible for the ones they have killed. The lifespan can't influence you to kill yourself. Only when it runs out will you die.
Well, I'm thinking in terms of fate. Don't fated events mean that people don't really have control over some of their actions?

Like Misa... her lifespan was running out and a Shinigami, named Gelus, wanted to see how she dies. A man with a knife attacks her... but she is saved by the Shinigami, and the Shinigami dies. Wasn't the man originally 'fated' to kill Misa? Does fate allow some control over actions?

Quote:
Only the Death Note can influence accidental deaths... Life span can't do shit.
But doesn't the above incident with Misa show that lifespans running out can be natural, suicide or murder?
Old 2009-07-04, 15:51   Link #132
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Did Near cheat in the final confrontation?

In the end, Matsuda raises a theory of Near cheating by writing Mikami's name in the Notebook to make sure Mikami bring the real Notebook to the warehouse and forget to test its authenticity. Is Matsuda's theory true?

I think the theory has 70% of being correct,
knowing Near's personality (tries to win at any cost),
+ Near did not try to catch Kira for justice or for L. He just wanted subject Kira to humiliation.
+ Mikami's extremely meticulous nature
+ the situation (a life-or-death battle in which everyone tried to hold onto his life)

Besides, look at Tsugumi Ohba's answer to the question: "Is Matsuda’s theory correct?" in volume 13 HTR :

Ohba: "Basically, I want each of the readers to decide for themselves and adopt their own views. The only thing I can say for sure is: Light ordered Mikami to not take out the real Note until the end..."

Now look at what Takeshi Obata said in this same interview:

Question: "Who is the smartest character in DN?"
Obata: "Near, because he cheats."

There answers contain subtle hints. Based on those, I can conclude that :
- Mikami would never betray Light
- Near cheats.

AND (as pointed out by Samurai_Drifter):
- At the end, Near holds up the Notebook, points to Takada's name in it, and says, "This is the fake notebook we made, but it is exactly like the original." It's a very subtle point: Near wanted to prove that Mikami had written Takada's name in it, but why would he hold up the replica instead of the real one? The answer: because he'd written Mikami's name into the real Death Note and wasn't going to show anyone.

Together the possibility of Near cheating adds up to 99%

But
I have to take Near's pride into account: was his pride enough to prevent him from doing the same thing Kira did?

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-07-12 at 11:37.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:02   Link #133
ShootingStars

it doesnt matter if he cheated
light died ... i wanted him to win and make the new world.
Old 2009-07-08, 04:01   Link #134
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I don't think Near used the Death Note to his advantage.

When Light is pretty much cornered and exposed as Kira, Light asks Near if that Note that he is holding is real. Near wonders if Light is trying to trick him, but would he think that after exposing Kira? If he did use it to help him corner Light, then he would be in no doubt that it was real.

But if he did use it, then I like him even less... Suicide by stabbing yourself with a pen? Ugh.
Old 2009-07-09, 20:33   Link #135
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

I don't think Near wondered about the Notebook's authenticity.
Near's thought was, "Is he bluffing now?" because Light bluffing to buy time was out of his speculation.
His full thought might be, "Of course it's real. What is Light planning to do now?"

If you're interested, further discussion: http://community.livejournal.com/dea...e/1759743.html

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-07-10 at 00:37.
Old 2009-07-24, 02:54   Link #136
ArrowSmith

You know I've thought it over and over. I just can't come up with a scenario that Light can use the Death Note(in the beginning) and for L not to find out that it's being used from the Kanto region. Also Light needed to access the police files because he was running out of criminals from his first week or so of killing. Maybe a more mature person would have found a way to be more patient with it, so as to avoid attracting ANY attention. But once L got involved, I think it was game, set match because Near & Mello existed to take over whatever L found out.
Old 2009-09-01, 04:04   Link #137
The Trice

if kira lived...

i wish i could know how would light get rid of rotten people i mean not every bad guy appear on tv , like people who bully and harm people by frightening them they don't appear on tv
and even if one who got bullied posted on the internet the name of the bad guys , how would kira know if he is making it up or not?
Old 2009-11-15, 20:17   Link #138
LXwillXlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
You know I've thought it over and over. I just can't come up with a scenario that Light can use the Death Note(in the beginning) and for L not to find out that it's being used from the Kanto region.
it would have been easy to keep it hidden light was in the kanto region. all he needed to do was lay low and think when Lind L. Taylor was on the TV. even i realized what L was doing(playing it only in a certain region at a specific time.) all light needed to do was realize this and not be so childish and quick to result to the action he did. but, as has been stated, light is childish. he tried to act mighty by saying 'stand in my way and it's instant annihilation.' when he should have been studying this man named 'L'. it was completely obvious L would never show himself in that way. light was too worked up about the fact that L had the nerve to present himself saying that kira was evil. and since he had the power to kill Lind L. Taylor, he did.

frankly, all Light needed to do was lay low. although having his big moment with the raye penber bus hijacking incident was a very good plan, it would have been smarter that he pretended he didnt notice raye there. he would have stopped being followed soon enough (literally, the next day though he didnt know that)

and he really shouldn't have hacked into the computer either. sure he was down on criminals and he wanted to stay on top of the case but it bites him in the butt in the end, because it was obvious he had access to police files. laying low would be smartest; it would lower his suspicion because he had access to information of such but didn't use it.

his pride is what really killed him in the end.

though doing that wouldnt make a very good storyline, dontchathink?
Old 2010-06-16, 18:22   Link #139
Raitozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB_ View Post
First L/FBI arc - strong
Second L arc - okay
Misa arc - weak
Amnesia/Good Light arc - terrible
Final L arc - okay
Melo arc - weak
Near arc - okay
Finale - strong

The crappy Good Light arc almost lost me -- it was so long and frankly unbelievable.
Ehh, I don't know if I can agree with you there. 0x0
I actually liked that arc, so I didn't mind it nearly as much. However, it is a little bit unrealistic considering that Light did seem to hate virtually everyone even before picking up the Death Note.

I have to agree with the Misa arc being weak though. Although she plays a supporting character, she's really only there for an accessory. She didn't even show up for maybe... two or three episodes in a row (if I remember correctly).

She really only showed up when it was convenient.

I thought the Mello arc was okay. I mean, it was interesting, but it wasn't... that interesting. I found it somewhat boring when he was just sitting around with the Mafia. Though the explosion that gave him the scar was what made it moderately entertaining.

The Near arc was okay though. It could have been better if it hadn't been as if Near was semi-psychic to figure some of the things out. Don't get me wrong, I like Near, but some things in his particular arc just were... nonsensical.

Anyway, I agree. The ending was pretty strong. In the manga, the worshipers doing that march along the cliff was kind of cool (since it makes you think about how the Kira followers will still believe in him, even if he's dead). At first I didn't understand what that had meant, but now it makes sense.

... lol
</walloftext>

In addition to that massive rant... I've always wondered about the major plot hole. When L acquired the Death Note... He really could have just taken the handwriting inside and tried to match it to those in his suspect list, right?
That would have been too easy though, and would have made the series a lot shorter than it actually is. xD
It's just a thought.

Last edited by Raitozaki; 2010-06-16 at 18:29. Reason: Thought of something else to add.
Old 2010-10-18, 20:29   Link #140
OtakuLuna13
Dumb Burnette

Well, I honestly find the Good Light arc very interesting, how the changes from having the power of the Death Note, to being sincerely innocent (in a way). Light knew that he was smarter than most of the people around him, that's why he didn't like anyone, becase he thougt they were all stupid. But it was when L confronted Kira that the changes in Light's personality started to change, we just never noticed it because we were so involved in trying to figure out how his plans are going to work. Of course, then came the Good Light arc. It was only then that we started to realize "The Death Note has changed Light!" For example, he says that he doesn't like to manipulate women's feelings, and yet we see him do it all the time before he lost his memory. This gives the impression that the Death Note changes the users as they use it more and more. Look at Misa. When she had the Death Note, she just followed Light's every order because he was Kira. She didn't object to anything he said. She just did what he told her because he was Kira, and she kept the possibility in mind that he could kill her at any time if he wanted to. And when she lost her memory, she became more stubborn and spoke her mind when she thought something was wrong. This could be proof that the Death Note changes peoples mindset.

Dunno if any of this makes any sense to anyone except me. I'm just facsintaned with people's minds. =_= Just some random random thought I made up
Closed Thread