AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2012-09-04, 19:01   Link #1821
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Well, it looks like they are getting more done.

I think Yen will stick to it, especially given the interest in S&W and the decreasing competition.

Besides, if they put out 3 per year, all 17 will be complete by winter 2015 or spring 2016 if they don't do the other materials outside of the LNs (though I hope they do).

As for Von's question... that mystery will wait another day.
Old 2012-09-04, 20:12   Link #1822
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

That still is not fast enough! lol, the wait for all these is literally killing me, but heck it makes it that much more rewarding once I finally get my hands on and read them.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 00:04   Link #1823
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
As for Von's question... that mystery will wait another day.
Oh they're going to answer it in later volumes? I thought it's some kind of small riddle for us reader to enjoy

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 20:12   Link #1824
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Oh they're going to answer it in later volumes? I thought it's some kind of small riddle for us reader to enjoy
Well, I haven't made it through all the Japanese novels just yet... kanji is not my strong point.

But, I'm sure it may end up tying-in later.

Please no one spoil it for me (since it is a small sub-plot) in the overall scheme of things. I wanna find out as I read.
Old 2012-09-07, 20:15   Link #1825
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have to admit once the english releases started, my motivation to read the original japanese faded. The Yen Press has almost caught up to where I backburnered it. Though I do have the whole set of the original japanese books.
Old 2012-09-24, 02:35   Link #1826
gopackgo

what would you guys rather see:

1- faster LN english releases
2- 3rd anime season
3- better LN covers
gopackgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:40   Link #1827
PewPewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post

2- 3rd anime season
3- better LN covers
2 obviously. I don't care about 3, and 1 would be great, but they'll make their way to the market eventually no matter what, so 2 is the only one that makes any sense there.
PewPewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:44   Link #1828
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yup... I'd rather see a third season, preferably wrapping up the series. The rest I can cope with
Old 2012-09-24, 09:56   Link #1829
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Definitely 2. The wait for the novels are gonna be killer, but they'll eventually get here anyways while it is very unlikely there will be a third season. A third season would be the best outcome for sure.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 12:15   Link #1830
jte742

2 - sadly, the least likely of the three.

They've already promised three novels per year compared with two previously, and the covers don't bother me, stuffed away in a drawer...
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 14:48   Link #1831
gopackgo

I was kidding about the covers, even though they are terrible. I'm hesident on the idea of a 3rd season because I have a feeling that they would never fully animate the LN, which is frustrating.

At least the LN's are being translated, my favorite series is the 12 Kingdoms and they dropped it with 2 books remaining. Now the only way to see the conclusion is by reading summaries on the Internet.
gopackgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 15:41   Link #1832
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd be .. okay ... with a third season just animating highlights of the journey and then focusing on the last book.
Old 2012-09-30, 16:35   Link #1833
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo View Post

2- 3rd anime season
3- better LN covers
Having read all the manga, up to volume 4 of the novels (japanese), and tried to watch a couple of episodes of the anime, I'll just say that the Horo in the anime isn't the Horo I fell in love with in the manga and novels.
Old 2012-09-30, 17:06   Link #1834
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Having read all the manga, up to volume 4 of the novels (japanese), and tried to watch a couple of episodes of the anime, I'll just say that the Horo in the anime isn't the Horo I fell in love with in the manga and novels.
I would love to hear an elaboration of how the anime Horo differs in your opinion from her novel / manga counterpart.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 19:49   Link #1835
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My shorthand description is that Horo in the LN/manga is just more complex and a bit less "2d tsundere" than her anime counterpart.

OTOH... the anime Horo is a LOT more complicated than "average tsundere" 2d (which led me to actually torturously read the Japanese novels before the english translations came out).

So for me, at least the difference is more one of layers/depth - which is just an inherent advantage of the written word.
Old 2012-09-30, 20:44   Link #1836
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My shorthand description is that Horo in the LN/manga is just more complex and a bit less "2d tsundere" than her anime counterpart.

OTOH... the anime Horo is a LOT more complicated than "average tsundere" 2d (which led me to actually torturously read the Japanese novels before the english translations came out).

So for me, at least the difference is more one of layers/depth - which is just an inherent advantage of the written word.
I still don't like people use the "Tsu"-word when talking about her... it just doesn't fit.

From what I've seen in clinical practice, the closest thing to real-world tsundere is Borderline Personality Disorder... and Holo is far from meeting that Axis II diagnosis.

I prefer the descriptors emotionally delicate and assertive... I mean she is a wolf after all, wolves have to show a little force now and then to determine/clarify hierarchy.
Old 2012-09-30, 21:15   Link #1837
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't disagree with that - its often how I know someone really hasn't paid attention to the series if they just "write her off" like that. It is a shorthand sound bite for a "volcano" or "stormy" personality, though. Horo has a lot of shields up -- falling in love is painful and getting over a loss is even more painful. Her deciding to lower those shields is roughly the only parallel from my point of view.

But I still agree with the earlier poster in that the book Horo is more complex than the anime Horo - its just the nature of the mediums involved.
Old 2012-10-01, 09:05   Link #1838
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

There's this part in the last episode of season 1.. it's the part where I saw Holo frantically trying to get Lawrence to tell her what he said before that couldn't be heard because of the chime. At that point, I instantly thought 'Ah..so she's that type of girl, huh?' when I saw that Holo. Coupled with well-time blush that she expressed in some episodes also reinforce my thoughts that she's kind of tsundere, but with cunning mind.

Now with the novels..it's actually pretty hard to understand her (especially that with me that aren't able to understand women ._. ) since the words that is used to describe her are pretty confusing. It doesn't help that the point of view of the novel itself is Lawrence. It really feels that I hadn't been able to identify whatever problems or whatever mood that she had (even though many characters beside of Lawrence seems to be able to identify it instantly) before Lawrence himself understand what's her problem was.

I believe that at the core, their personality shouldn't be that difference between each counterpart. It's just that the novel seems to portray her deeper than what the anime does.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 13:46   Link #1839
BashZeStampeedo

Thing is, the books have more time to elaborate on Lawrence's point of view. But it's still just his point of view. What we see in the anime is reduced more to what he's seeing of Holo, not thinking of her, so it's easier for us to draw our own conclusions (his thoughts getting in the way).

Remember: Lawrence is in love with her, and has an immediate bias to self-deprecation. And so without that layer of complexity, we're more apt to let our own interpretation and biases cloud our judgement of Holo, rather than him.

Volume 3 (first half of season 2) is one instance where this doesn't apply so readily, because we're spending time with him, not her. For once, we're shown just how he thinks, and how wrong he can be, and then they just accept his conclusions at the end as truth anyway.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 01:38   Link #1840
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Yen's schedule now has the cover art up for Volume 7.

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen