AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 23:56   Link #121
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Finally got and skimmed through the raw, I personally liked it, I can see some complaints about how it's not overly complicated yet, but it's the first episode it's just an introduction, everyone familiar with the story says it gets pretty fantastic so I'll give that part time to develop.

I admit the character designs may not be for everyone since they are an usual style, but I really like them a lot the style definitely works for me. It's been a while since I've seen a dark fantasy show like this so I'm looking forwards to this once the subs come out.
I like the character designs in paper but think they're badly executed in animation, highly uninspired and inconsistent, at least if the series keeps the mood in the opening. Is the actual motion and art inside the series better than the one in the introduction video? If so I may give this a chance...
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 01:15   Link #122
issei

the anime is, as expected, a by-the-book (no pun intended) adaptation of the manga. it's worth checking out for anyone interested in dark fantasy and unfamiliar with the source material, but as an anime, nothing is really added to the experience.

thus far, the fight scenes involve little more motion than seen on the pages of the manga, the music is barely noticeable and therefore inconsequential, and the voice actors' performances are serviceable but unimpressive. unless there's a sudden sharp incline in quality, this series will end up as just another average manga adaptation -- there's nothing wrong with it, per se, but there's no real motivation for readers of the manga to watch it at this point.
Old 2007-04-04, 01:41   Link #123
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for episode 1:

Spoiler for one specific event from episode 1:

I just chuckled because now he knows why he should have been afraid.

I am in! This is by no means a mind blowing episode, but it has left me intrigued nontheless. I'll be following this closely.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 02:07   Link #124
Level E
みwiki

I saw the RAW. Impressions: MAD HOUSE ftw.

Actually, I feel it was a bit censored but that can't be helped.
Kurashima Houko's voice is going to take sometime getting use to. Her monotone Clare voice isn't exactly what I thought her voice would be like, but I guess it fits. I was bit surprised they went slightly out of order but I guess the anime needs to keep a pace to develop the Lucky and Clare relationship especially early-mid and latter parts of the series when the other characters start popping up and things take an interesting turn.

I guess the next EP is the Death EP already?
BTW is it just me, or has Lucky grown a bit taller from his manga version?
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 02:13   Link #125
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Need to see a few more episodes before deciding anything. >_< !!

Didn't like the intro btw.
Old 2007-04-04, 02:17   Link #126
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Need to see a few more episodes before deciding anything. >_< !!

Didn't like the intro btw.
^^;
That was another thing that got me too.
An all blond OP with swift changes in aired-personalities is hard to follow even if you are a fan of the series.
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 03:38   Link #127
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I saw this yesterday but since it was damn late and I was too sleepy I preferred to not type anything about it until now.

Anyway, I loved it. As Mentar said, this felt like a solid first episode. Madhouse well adapted the first chapters (skipping the second though, but I guess that was a forceful decision so that they could show some of the fight with the Yoma) and they remained pretty faithful to the original character design of the manga (which I love). They even managed to well convey its mood by making it look quite dark and use a contrast of pale and dark colours in it, giving the right "dark medieval/fantasy story" kind of atmosphere (the only scene with a bit more of colour is at the end when they're walking towards the sun). Animation-wise it was good, and consistent, although not a lot of movements were animated (but I liked the part where Claire and the Yoma are litterally rolling on a side of a hill), and yeah I wish the parts where she uses her sword weren't the classical "sword->slashing line->damage", but whatever, it was alright anyway. I also liked the background art and the attention to details on it (although the raw I watched was rather poor in quality, sadly), but that's expected from Madhouse' recent works.

The music during certain scenes felt a bit weird to me, but I guess I'll wait some more episode before giving a more clear opinion on it. As for the voice acting, while I wasn't totally sure on Kuwashima Houko being Claire's VA, I have to say I wasn't actually disappointed, but I wasn't impressed either, yet. Fortunately when they'll get to cover volume 3 of the manga we might have the chance to hear how she'll perform.

Conclusively, this is really my cup of tea. A dark medieval fantasy based show, a genre that's become quite rare with the overload of moe these days, and which I've probably missed since... Berserk? Oh well, I'm going to keep watching this for sure, and I do hope some fansubbing group will pick this show.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 05:22   Link #128
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I am in! This is by no means a mind blowing episode, but it has left me intrigued nontheless. I'll be following this closely.
I'm glad to hear that. The story starts off rather slowly so if episode 1 has gotten your attention, then your mind will be blown once you see Theresa's arc...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 05:25   Link #129
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Now that was very nice. I came into this expecting some kind of Fate/stay night meets Monster fare, and was pleasantly surprised.

Relatively retro style illustrations, compelling characters, solid, if not exceptional, animation. This was definitely promising and the shades of Berserk definitely helped.

I can't say i was completely satisfied, as the character animation seemed to fluctuate, but still, it was a good start. I loved the OP/ED for this show. So very fitting.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 05:50   Link #130
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

patience awarded :-)

I really loved this first episode. It was following the original manga very closely (with the exception of a few minor details).

I have high hopes for this series. And I really hope that they will do justice to the upcoming (around ep. 3-4?) flashback arcs about Clare’s sad past. Because the story will then start to become more action packed with more room for dramatic character development.

Well anyway this week the highly anticipated volume 7 of the translated manga will also be released in the U.S.A So hopefully in another week I will finally receive my version which I pre-ordered online 6 weeks ago:- )

I am still wondering how they will manage to express some of the later fights in the manga. But since Mad House did good work on the action sequences in Black Lagoon I have high hopes that they will succeed in making it work.

Also I assume based on the current existing raw manga volumes (around 11?) That this probably/hopefully will be a 24 eps length series?
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 05:56   Link #131
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Now that was very nice. I came into this expecting some kind of Fate/stay night meets Monster fare, and was pleasantly surprised.

Relatively retro style illustrations, compelling characters, solid, if not exceptional, animation. This was definitely promising and the shades of Berserk definitely helped.

I can't say i was completely satisfied, as the character animation seemed to fluctuate, but still, it was a good start. I loved the OP/ED for this show. So very fitting.
Unless you don't want to spoil yourself a bit, you should defintely read the manga as well, the comparison with Berserk is really close, especially artisticly-wise (although Berserk still remains unrivaled, in my opinion). Anyway I am glad this serie ended up in Madhouse hands, they have been good so far in manga-to-anime adaptations and this first episode of Claymore so far confirmed the trust I have towards them.
Old 2007-04-04, 06:15   Link #132
lommm
l'homme de lommm

@Level E: Lucky/Raki does seem taller/slightly older than he did in the first chapters of the manga. but it could just be because the characters are moving and allow for more perspective as to their size...

i agree with what a lot of you are saying... the music was a little lacking... i expected more out of the music end somehow... maybe they will develop better themes as the episodes progress.

does this air in HD in JP? just wondering cuz i hope one of the subbers will put out a nice HD version for me to feast on...

ALSO, i wonder how the fansubbers will go with the Raki/Lucky choice... does the US version of the manga call him Lucky? the scans i read used Raki, but i have seen both so i dunno....

and i chuckle when i read a couple of you saying that the action was a bit stiff or didn't add much past what was in the manga... i chuckle because i know what is coming...

EDIT: i just realized that this series is why Houko Kuwashima is not a voice in El Cazador! while i think she is good as Clare, i can't help but be a tad disappointed that she is not voicing Ellis, as that would have been her character in El Cazador. oh well, this one is obviously a better job for her since this series could go on for quite some time and EC will end at 26....

Last edited by lommm; 2007-04-04 at 06:32.
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 06:25   Link #133
Budweineken
Crap

Viz uses Raki.
Old 2007-04-04, 06:33   Link #134
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken View Post
Viz uses Raki.
good to know! considering his brother was Zaki, Raki always made sense to me.
Old 2007-04-04, 06:46   Link #135
Budweineken
Crap

It's a bit wierd, in this type of manga it's best to use Raki because of the dark atmosphere and how "Lucky" would really dumb down the situation. In the site they use Katakana to write the name.

Yet, when you go to the site of the anime "Lucky Star" they use Hiragana for the title.

As we know, Katakana is usually used for foreign names etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If not mistaken Lucky is Rakki and Raki doesn't mean Lucky.

Last edited by Budweineken; 2007-06-25 at 12:59.
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 06:55   Link #136
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Yeah, the boy's name is Raki.
Old 2007-04-04, 07:01   Link #137
mouhitori

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
good to know! considering his brother was Zaki, Raki always made sense to me.
Maybe it's Lucky and Zucky
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 07:03   Link #138
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouhitori View Post
Maybe it's Lucky and Zucky
LOL that's hilarious!! why didn't i think of that?
Old 2007-04-04, 07:04   Link #139
Skane
Anime Snark

Lucky & Sucky? That would be a very bad pun.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-04, 09:43   Link #140
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Well...this is the first anime i have watched after having read the manga..although i have read up only till chapter 6, since it has been scantalated only till there. I really liked the Claymore manga because i felt it had great characters and great character development. The starting might not be exciting, but once we get to Claire's past, it will be really great. Neway, i m impressed with the animation. The characters look great. The only problem is with the different angle views of the characters. But i cant blame MADHOUSE for this since they are following the mangaka's style exactly and his artstyle for the characters from side angles is definitely a bit weird.

Well...all in all, i m impressed. I wish the OP and ED are better. Waiting for the subbed version...Hope this anime gets better n better. GO CLAIRE
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote