AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-01-29, 04:00   Link #21
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

It'd be great to look at hentai where ever you are. Other than that...hmm...

Please, nobody get mad by taking this post too seriously.

I'd probably get one if it was cheap, really, but I don't want to spend $500 for an enhanced iPod touch. And yeah, a better OS and multitasking would be good, too.
Old 2010-01-29, 04:08   Link #22
monster

How does the iPad compare to the HP slate shown at CES? Does anyone know?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 04:39   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
IPad, the Iphone for users that need to compensate.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 04:46   Link #24
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

When I saw about iPad and it's price, don't know why but this came to my mind:

Now seriously, I think iPad will be a failure, it's too big for being easy to carry (if you don't usually carry bags, where the hell you put that thing?).

Before buying that I'll keep with my iPod touch
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 05:56   Link #25
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I lol'ed

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...033961/1/.html

in b4 lawsuit!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 13:32   Link #26
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its not "FUD" if they're simply listing the DRM "features" of a device and objecting to them. Buyers should have that information to decide whether they think the crippling is worth it or not.

And.... you say no company should have the right to prevent you from jailbreaking. I agree with you but hey... its currently *illegal* to do so thanks to DRM laws and they can brick you at will should they feel like it.

The google issues and cloud computing privacy issues are generalized problems with all communications and computing trends so iPad is no different in that regard.
It's always FUD if it's an anti-Apple statement to an Apple fanboy, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm hardly an Apple hater. I like OSX, and I like Apple hardware, especially (previous generation) iPods and current-gen Macbooks. I think the iPod Touch is a wonderful piece of kit and could really give the NDS and PSP a run for their money if Apple got serious about making it a handheld gaming device.

The issues with the iPad to most of us exist largely because we're power users. We want flexibility. We want options. We do not want restrictions. We want power. More casual users of electronics may find the iPad perfectly suitable for their needs, but we do not.

As I read on Notebookreview's forum, Apple's behavior with the iPad is pretty laughable, though. "Netbooks are slow and restrictive! So here, use this slate that's even slower and even more restrictive!" (And before anyone claims that the OS on the iPad makes it faster than a netbook, try installing CrunchBang, Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux on a netbook with a good SSD... you'll be surprised!)

Still don't understand netbook hate. Even though I'm still using an old eeePC 900HD, modern netbooks are wonderful. I really want to ditch this one... maybe for an HP Mini 210 to compliment my full-size lappy (coming soon).
Old 2010-01-29, 14:28   Link #27
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
How does the iPad compare to the HP slate shown at CES? Does anyone know?
Windows 7 slapped onto a Tablet... Although Windows 7 has multi-touch support, I highly doubt it will give a great experience since the interface is designed to use a mouse and keyboard and I have used the Tablet PC functions on Vista with a Wacom Tablet, and it was very clunky... compared to iPhone OS and Android, which is designed for multi-touch.

Also, MSI is coming out with a Tablet using nVidia's ARM CPU which will cost around the same price as the iPad ($500) and runs Android, which you can do multitasking and stuff and you can install any software you want..

Quote:
Still don't understand netbook hate. Even though I'm still using an old eeePC 900HD, modern netbooks are wonderful. I really want to ditch this one... maybe for an HP Mini 210 to compliment my full-size lappy (coming soon).
The problem is with the term "netbook"and it's marketing since they are more powerful than smartphones but less powerful than a traditional laptop, which becomes a field of not good or bad (no offense). If they are paired up with a more efficient OS that isn't Windows such as Linux and Android, it wouldn't appear to be slow since Windows is a inefficient OS besides from the slow hardware. Netbooks are just another name for ultraportables.
Old 2010-01-29, 18:39   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yes, on Notebookreview's forums, a poster basically referred to netbooks as the democratization of ultraportables. Now even regular people can afford a tiny computer.

I'd definitely put a small Linux distro on my netbook, but I *need* CoreAVC, so I'm stuck with Windows.

Once I get my hands on an ION netbook, it's goodbye to Windows, because then I can handle my fansubs with VDPAU.
Old 2010-01-29, 23:57   Link #29
Alchemist007
*Author

Ok so I bothered to actually look at the introduction video, it's worse than I thought XD
Old 2010-01-30, 01:38   Link #30
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Apple's iPad vs. Notion Ink Adam.

owned.
Old 2010-01-30, 02:03   Link #31
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

To be honest, I'm more interested in seeing what slates in the 5 inch range end up looking like than anything in the 10 inch space. Some of the videos I've seen of stuff like the Dell Mini 5 make it look pocketable, which to me would be a huge advantage.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 13:59   Link #32
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The Notion Ink Adam is just perfect. I had been wanting to buy a dedicated e-reader (as I'm tired of losing books every time I move) but this tablet is an e-reader and so much more. For only a few more bucks!

Edit: For a pocketable I'm pretty dead set on a Pandora. That thing is awesome and not just the device, but the entire conception, production and creation of it.
Old 2010-01-30, 14:13   Link #33
mg1942

ok... $500 for a computer that can't multitask. What is this, 1982?

(don't believe the hype!)
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 14:29   Link #34
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The Notion Ink Adam is just perfect. I had been wanting to buy a dedicated e-reader (as I'm tired of losing books every time I move) but this tablet is an e-reader and so much more. For only a few more bucks!
It's not perfect yet. Someone needs to cross it with the Lenovo Ideapad U1:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10424800-269.html

I guess my problem is that I don't want to have to carry an eReader separate from my notebook.

Quote:
Edit: For a pocketable I'm pretty dead set on a Pandora. That thing is awesome and not just the device, but the entire conception, production and creation of it.
Hmmm... the clamshell design probably makes one handed operation a bitch, but yes, that's very cool. Especially the list of emulators in development for it.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 15:25   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Not really concerned so much with one-handed operation, since it doesn't have a WWAN radio anyway, I'll be in a coffee shop or otherwise near a wireless router to use it. The MID functionality of the Pandora is just icing on the cake.

The real reason I want it because it's like carrying portable versions of every console known to man up to the fifth generation. IN ONE DEVICE.
Old 2010-01-30, 15:29   Link #36
ac3y

Quote:
All they did was take an iPod Touch and make it bigger.
Such a pointless, pointless "innovation". Too slapping an Apple logo and a touchscreen on something makes people go batshit
Old 2010-01-31, 09:59   Link #37
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

what I'd like to add =P
Old 2010-01-31, 11:09   Link #38
LynnieS

There does look to be one good thing about the iPad being introduced - at least in Japan.

Docomo considers selling SIM cards for Apple's iPad
Quote:
Jan. 30, 2010 (The Yomiuri Shimbun) -- NTT Docomo Inc. (NYSE: DCM) is considering selling SIM cards for Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) Inc.'s new iPad tablet computer, sources said Saturday, taking a step toward a Japan in which such cards can be switched freely between different carriers' cell phones.
Although the idea of using something as big as an iPad to make telephone calls is a bit... OTOH, I use my iPhone to go onto websites during the day, and that is done via 3G since it means I can move about without being tied to a hotspot. The hardware may do well in Japan, esp. if the buyer is already on Docomo.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 12:02   Link #39
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post

what I'd like to add =P
Have you used a Tablet PC before? Tablet PCs are basically computers with touch screen controlled by stylus. The failed to take off because of several reasons
- Bad implementation
- Too expensive
- Interface difficult/hard to use

Like I mentioned before, I have tried out the tablet functions on Windows Vista with a Wacom Bamboo Tablet, which enables the tablet functions and it was clunky. Operating systems like Windows and Mac OS X isn't designed to be used for a touch screen, obviously since most people use the keyboard and mouse to control these operating systems. No matter how hard to try, as long the implementation sucks, it's bound to fail. This is why I can see touch oriented OSes like WebOS, Android and iPhoneOS being a better choice since not everyone needs a full os just to browse the web, check email, etc and these OSes will give better implementation and experience

Also, Microsoft tried to promote UMPCs, which are miniature tablet computers, but that failed to catch on as well because of price and poor implementation. It's unfair to compare a iPad to a Tablet PC because they are two completely different devices and the fact that iPad is not a computer.
Old 2010-01-31, 12:07   Link #40
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Have you used a Tablet PC before? Tablet PCs are basically computers with touch screen controlled by stylus. The failed to take off because of several reasons
- Bad implementation
- Too expensive
- Interface difficult/hard to use
Not really, I merely posted those for the lulz