AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-09-22, 00:49   Link #241
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Hmm, I'll scourge if there's something said. I remember that Inaho's seiyuu once mentioned something about how Aldnoah was like fuel? But I can't really take a seiyuu speculation seriously. I do think you're right about the drives, from what I could understand the Vers family grants permission to use some drives and assign them to some of the knights but they don't overlap. Like some kind of password-protected archives?

Does this make Slaine a hacker?
The ultimate "hackers" would be those like the royal family that are granted all rights to any form of Aldnoah.

But the way I understood it from what's been said so far, is that the royal line has ultimate control of Aldnoah. They can pass it genetically, as well as give allowance rights to others. They are like a river feeding from the Aldnoah source, and the knights are streams that branch of from the river. However, the allowance of rights is only for that individual alone. They cannot pass the Aldnoah ability genetically, nor can they give it to others.

And now you can see how a feudal system would benefit from how Aldnoah works. The royals have ultimate control of the power, and if you want any part of that, you have to be loyal to them and swear fealty to them. The nobles can get part of the power and thus have all control of the power as it goes out to the commoners who thus become like serfs who have to serve the feudal lord just to live.

Now, from what Eddelrittuo said, the Aldnoah power is connected to the activator's life energy, as long as the person lives, the power will continue. Aldnoah can only be turned off if either the activator turns it off, a royal turns it off, or the activator dies.
So, let's take Saazbaum for example. His castle's Aldnoah drive is activated by him. If say, Cruhteo was to go in there and try to turn it off, he couldn't. If Yuki came in there and tried to turn it off, she couldn't. Yuki has no allowance rights in the first place, and Cruhteo couldn't because he wasn't the activator. Asseylum or Rayregalia however, could turn it off, because they have ultimate control, and thus can supersede the "activator clause". Now if the activator dies, then the drive shuts down as well.

Once the drive is shut down, it's fair game to whoever with either allowance or ultimate rights, wants to activate it again. So, if the system was shut down because Saazbaum died, Cruhteo could go in there and activate the drive now, and now the drive and thus the castle is his. This also is linked to the feudal system and how the knights always fight between each other for resources, property, and prestige.
If Asseylum wanted to activate the drive, she could as well and then it would become hers.

These rules of activation, also apply to the kataphrackts. Once Tharsis was shut down, whoever activated it, it would become their drive and their kataphrackt until they shut it down themselves or died. From what Slaine said this episode, with kataphrakts, the total Aldnoah shut down would be like pulling the plug entirely, the ultimate shut down. He states that Tharsis could maybe run on auxiliary power, which means that the Aldnoah drive is usually always on, but a sort of switch can be turned on and off when the mech is not in use. And once the drive is turned on, anyone can use the mech, whether they have Aldnoah rights or not. That's why Slaine thought maybe he could still use it, but then reasoned he couldn't since the drive was shut down. And that makes sense, since everything on Vers and in these castles runs on Aldnoah power, but it all has only one activator. None of the other Martians could utilize this power if only the activator were able too. All those techs and soldiers would be at a loss. I'm betting even the skycarriers run on Aldnoah power.

It's a very interesting system, but it's definitely one that is practically made for an elitist society system.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-09-22, 01:00   Link #242
Thess

The drive was turned off though and Slaine turned it on without knowing how. Maybe next episodes there'll be exploration in how he discovers how to use it? I know Asseylum does it with her voice, but Slaine seemed to simply will it.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-09-22, 01:16   Link #243
Irenesharda

Quote:
The drive was turned off though and Slaine turned it on without knowing how. Maybe next episodes there'll be exploration in how he discovers how to use it? I know Asseylum does it with her voice, but Slaine seemed to simply will it.
The drive was turned off because either Cruhteo is dead, or he was in a death like state for a time and was later revived. Asseylum showed us that if the drive shuts down, the activator, even if it was the original activator, has to actually physically go to the drive and turn it back on. So, even if Cruhteo is alive, he can't turn Tharsis back on unless he was able to actually get in the kataphrackt, touch it, and activate it again. And Slaine is the new activator now, so even if Cruhteo wanted it back, Slaine would either have to shut it down first, or Slaine would have to die.

Asseylum really doesn't activate it with her voice. I think all that's just royal tradition and ritual. It's really her touch and will that activate/deactivate the drive. With Slaine, he had to touch the controls as well as will the mech to turn on.

Right now, we don't know if he had ultimate rights or allowance rights, but I'm leaning towards ultimate rights as of right now. We'd know for sure if he tries to deactivate a drive that's not his, and it works.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-09-22, 08:32   Link #244
Raviel

So......I have a question, did Slaine actually know Asseylum was in the room with the Aldnoah drive when he saved Saazbaum or did a questionable decision by Slaine simply have consequences he could not possibly have predicted?
Old 2014-09-22, 08:39   Link #245
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
So......I have a question, did Slaine actually know Asseylum was in the room with the Aldnoah drive when he saved Saazbaum or did a questionable decision by Slaine simply have consequences he could not possibly have predicted?
He didn't even know that she was on the landing castle.
Old 2014-09-22, 09:08   Link #246
Fjoergyn

It'll probably be Slaine infiltrating and wrecking the empire from the inside ?
Old 2014-09-22, 09:20   Link #247
Irenesharda

Quote:
He knew she was up there on the castle but he had no idea where. These castles are huge and can house a knight, several kataphrackts, sky carriers and hundreds of soldiers and personnel. Him finding the princess would have been like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially since he didn't know the plan.

And of course, predicting that she would be in that room at the exact point he fell through the wall, a wall he never planned to crash through in the first place, would be nigh on impossible, unless you we're somebody who had prediction skills that border on supernatural, like L-elf's. Something that Slaine is not.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2014-09-22 at 09:33.
Old 2014-09-22, 09:29   Link #248
Spags
Computer Programmer

Send a message via AIM to Spags Send a message via MSN to Spags
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
He didn't even know that she was on the landing castle.
He knew, thats why he went back there. He saw the Princess board the Deucalion before it left the hanger, so by process of elimination he follows the Deucalion he finds the princess. Only thing he didn't know is if she was still on it or not when it crashed into the castle, which at that point he had already got shot down and then chased into Tharsis' hanger by Terran ground forces.

The one thing that bothers me beyond beliefe about Slaine is he spends 11 episodes getting tortured, missunderstood, screwed over, and fights alone for one single goal, keeping the princess safe. So what does he do at the end of it all help the one man who specifically told him he was going to kill her?!?! Lets not even mention the fact that half dead Inaho's first reaction to Seylum being shot is to worry about Seylum, and Slaine's first reaction is one of someone who just had his toys taken away speaks volumes.

"You have your way, I have my way, as for the right way, the correct way, it does not exists."
Old 2014-09-22, 09:45   Link #249
Raviel

^I don't think it's fair to say Slaine reacted like he had his toys taken away.

His reaction is pretty much the generic anime reaction of:

see person you care for get fatally wounded> freak out> thoughtlessly try to kill the attacker> be in a very bad state of mind soon after

Regardless of what led to the incident, I think the scene showed BOTH Inaho and Slaine cared about Asseylum and they both expressed it the best way they knew how. Unfortunately for Slaine that means going completely hysterical and not thinking straight, while Inaho once again keeps himself composed and only gives a slight hint to what he actually feels.
Old 2014-09-22, 09:53   Link #250
Spags
Computer Programmer

Send a message via AIM to Spags Send a message via MSN to Spags
Quote:
^I don't think it's fair to say Slaine reacted like he had his toys taken away.

His reaction is pretty much the generic anime reaction of:

see person you care for get fatally wounded> freak out> thoughtlessly try to kill the attacker> be in a very bad state of mind soon after

Regardless of what led to the incident, I think the scene showed BOTH Inaho and Slaine cared about Asseylum and they both expressed it the best way they knew how. Unfortunately for Slaine that means going completely hysterical and not thinking straight, while Inaho once again keeps himself composed and only gives a slight hint to what he actually feels.
I meant more of a reaction towards how he handled Inaho, I agree his reaction towards Saazbaum was pretty much expected.

"You have your way, I have my way, as for the right way, the correct way, it does not exists."
Old 2014-09-22, 09:58   Link #251
Raviel

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

I guess I just read that scene differently given how messed up Slaine's thinking must have been.
Old 2014-09-22, 10:14   Link #252
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spags View Post
He knew, thats why he went back there. He saw the Princess board the Deucalion before it left the hanger, so by process of elimination he follows the Deucalion he finds the princess. Only thing he didn't know is if she was still on it or not when it crashed into the castle, which at that point he had already got shot down and then chased into Tharsis' hanger by Terran ground forces.

The one thing that bothers me beyond beliefe about Slaine is he spends 11 episodes getting tortured, missunderstood, screwed over, and fights alone for one single goal, keeping the princess safe. So what does he do at the end of it all help the one man who specifically told him he was going to kill her?!?! Lets not even mention the fact that half dead Inaho's first reaction to Seylum being shot is to worry about Seylum, and Slaine's first reaction is one of someone who just had his toys taken away speaks volumes.
I think that the fact that he tried to save Saazbaum, goes back to the theme of "childhood's end". Slaine had the same idealistic notions for peace that Asseylum did in the beginning. He didn't want Saazbaum to die, but he also didn't want the princess harmed. He wanted both, as a child wants to have everything work out. However, he learned harshly that life isn't always like that, and sometimes your good deeds can lead to bad consequences. Just as Asseylum learned throughout the series that simply wanting peace is not so easy and can lead to horrible consequences.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-09-22, 10:40   Link #253
Seitsuki
Onee!

That's the real world for you. Sorry, your osananajimi first love got NTRed by a guy she knew for a week.
Old 2014-09-22, 11:01   Link #254
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
That's the real world for you. Sorry, your osananajimi first love got NTRed by a guy she knew for a week.
for whole week he done everything he could to protect her before he even know who she was, not to mention he helped her emotionally too when she was confused.

Slaine was other way around, she save him and help him emotionally by being the only one who treat him as human.
but in his whole time with her he made zero move to show his feeling same way as Inko
Old 2014-09-22, 11:02   Link #255
Thess

Quote:
No, he didn't know. That's why he was going to check out if Saazbaum was alright when he heard her. Judging by Saazbaum state, he would have needed medical assistance and to be off the batlefield if they didn't conveniently landed on that room. He probably assumed Saazbaum died because the Aldnoah shut down, so he was going to revive him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
for whole week he done everything he could to protect her before he even know who she was, not to mention he helped her emotionally too when she was confused.

Slaine was other way around, she save him and help him emotionally by being the only one who treat him as human.
but in his whole time with her he made zero move to show his feeling same way as Inko
I don't understand why you persist to compare him with Inko. Inko was a childhood friend, while officially Asseylum and Slaine were described as "very close" without the friend label (we know their relationship made Martians dislike Slaine more ) that she gave to Inaho . Also Slaine's feelings officially are described as respect, admiration and loyalty to a benefactor, so if he had a crush, it was always secondary to the loyalty aspect. He looked up to her as someone he respected and served, that was his form of love, which may be more chaste than sexual. Why would he make a "move" on her?

That's exactly why he goes to save Saazbaum, because he starts to respect him and consider him also his benefactor as well. That's what I've been saying since their interaction began and people dismissed it because they are under the belief Slaine was so in love with her and I was very aghast at episode 11 because he once more ran to see her, but this episode redeemed my view. It was a conflict of interests, he wants to save both, Asseylum is more important, but he began to feel something similar for Saazbaum despite his actions so when he hears he's in danger he goes immediately to assist him.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2014-09-22 at 11:15.
Old 2014-09-22, 11:10   Link #256
zerozeronine

Quote:
No, he didn't know. That's why he was going to check out if Saazbaum was alright when he heard her. Judging by Saazbaum state, he would have needed medical assistance and to be off the batlefield if they didn't conveniently landed on that room. He probably assumed Saazbaum died because the Aldnoah shut down, so he was going to revive him.
Didn't he just followed Saz because he was going for the princess?Following Saz>finding princess?
Old 2014-09-22, 11:18   Link #257
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
Didn't he just followed Saz because he was going for the princess?Following Saz>finding princess?
We don't really know that, all we know is that Slaine went back into the castle to fetch another ride (which happened to be the Tharsis). Once he activated the mech he picked up Saazbaum's signal and only then did he decide to where he was.

Like other people have said, I also think that Slaine's actions right after crashing into the room indicate he had no clue that Asseylum was in there, otherwise he probably would have prioritized looking for her first.
Old 2014-09-22, 11:25   Link #258
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
Slaine is just looking for another ride because skycarrier was shot down.

About Saazbaum, read my edit to clarify this. I've been calling this for weeks based mostly on the Rayet drama and the things we know of his background. Slaine is a boy who never had a place that was his own, you can thank his father who took him to his travels, so he never had lasting attachment to people and was always an outsider. It makes a lot of sense with his characterization (along with the obvious abuse he suffered), because he was loyal to Asseylum out of debt and out her ideals (maybe he was in love with her, maybe he wasn't, we actually don't have anything confirmed of this nature). He was a Terran to Martians and a Martian to Terrans.

The thing is Saazbaum saved him (he never found out Cruhteo was sparing him), treated him well, set him free taking a risk, sympathized with the situation in Mars, understood the reasons behind the attack. One of Saazbaum's men in this episode saved his life and treated him like an equal for the first time and he saw him die while he delivered a speech to him while Terrans soldiers were trying to kill him despite being disarmed and not attacking them. For a boy who, just like Rayet, was desperate trying to find somewhere to belong, this was huge. He's a teenage boy and the identity crisis comes with the adolescence too. Saazbaum wasn't just in danger, but he caught him talking about ending the cycle of hatred (out of context) which reminds him to Asseylum so he acted immediately to save him. Seeing Inaho, Orange the guy who shot him down and nearly got him killed via torture, only made him side with Saazbaum more. Inaho to you he's a potential friend, but to Slaine he's an enemy. Inaho chose to be an enemy and tried to get the rid of him. Saazbaum, on the other hand, took a huge risk, letting him go even if he could become an enemy.

This meant a lot to anyone in Slaine's circumstances. TL;DR: Saazbaum won the battle despite Inaho's upperhand in the mecha fist fight, because he won the Queen in the chess board: that was Slaine. To the plot point of view, Inaho and Saazbaum had a conflict of ideals and methods, but Saazbaum ended up the victor because he managed to get Slaine in a way with his method while Inaho rejected him with his. Slaine's no longer a child with the symbolism of the fallen pendant, so he won't longer be a potential tool to either of them that was why he shot them down (but Saazbaum was spared, for now). This was all a coming of age (bloodied and painful) for him to become his own man.

Childhood's end.

Old 2014-09-22, 11:29   Link #259
Gundamx

Quote:
I don't understand why you persist to compare him with Inko. Inko was a childhood friend, while officially Asseylum and Slaine were described as "very close" without the friend label (we know their relationship made Martians dislike Slaine more ) that she gave to Inaho . Also Slaine's feelings officially are described as respect, admiration and loyalty to a benefactor, so if he had a crush, it was always secondary to the loyalty aspect. He looked up to her as someone he respected and served, that was his form of love, which may be more chaste than sexual. Why would he make a "move" on her?

That's exactly why he goes to save Saazbaum, because he starts to respect him and consider him also his benefactor as well. That's what I've been saying since their interaction began and people dismissed it because they are under the belief Slaine was so in love with her and I was very aghast at episode 11 because he once more ran to see her, but this episode redeemed my view. It was a conflict of interests, he wants to save both, Asseylum is more important, but he began to feel something similar for Saazbaum despite his actions so when he hears he's in danger he goes immediately to assist him.
wait, what? just to be sure but by him you mean Slaine right?
that first time I compare them together.

anyway I meant the love part, it's clear that both Slaine/Inko love Asseylum/Inaho.
yet both never act and only stay in same relation for years till someone else come to take their love target.

p.s: and what people said about someone who to try to catch two birds at same time?
hint: you end up with nothing.

he can't be loyal to Saazbaum who want to kill Asseylum with passion at same time loyal to her who wan to stop saazbaum at any cost

Quote:
We don't really know that, all we know is that Slaine went back into the castle to fetch another ride (which happened to be the Tharsis). Once he activated the mech he picked up Saazbaum's signal and only then did he decide to where he was.

Like other people have said, I also think that Slaine's actions right after crashing into the room indicate he had no clue that Asseylum was in there, otherwise he probably would have prioritized looking for her first.
actually he run to him because he heard him screaming in pain.
Old 2014-09-22, 11:37   Link #260
Thess

Quote:
wait, what? just to be sure but by him you mean Slaine right?
that first time I compare them together.

anyway I meant the love part, it's clear that both Slaine/Inko love Asseylum/Inaho.
yet both never act and only stay in same relation for years till someone else come to take their love target.
Slaine's feelings toward Asseylum are officially labeled as loyalty, admiration and esteem, though. He sees her as his "benefactor." He does love her, but if he's in love with her, we actually don't know. Secondly, Inko is described as Inaho's childhood friend while Slaine isn't to Asseylum.

Quote:
p.s: and what people said about someone who to try to catch two birds at same time?
hint: you end up with nothing.

he can't be loyal to Saazbaum who want to kill Asseylum with passion at same time loyal to her who wan to stop saazbaum at any cost

actually he run to him because he heard him screaming in pain.
Well, of course but that's what his conflict of loyalty comes from which makes Slaine human and actually layered? Slaine doesn't think things through, he reacts based on his feelings and emotions. He felt Saazbaum was in danger and he reacted to save him because he learned to see him as his second benefactor. He's always been very idealistic, Asseylum took it from him. This experience smashed down his idealism and made him grow up.

Closed Thread

Tags
characters