AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-30, 21:21   Link #1
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Angry Temper Temper, Mickey Mouse.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/0...id-you-expect/

Doujin fans are quaking at the wrath of Disney, which has just shut down a free doujin game for daring to include a likeness of Mickey Mouse, demanding ¥6,000,000 in compensation for good measure.

“Hanako” features a parody retro RPG-style segment in which Mickey Mouse makes an appearance as a monster.

Disney evidently did not see the funny side of this, and demanded they cease development of the title and pay ¥6,000,000 in damages.

The developers, “AmoRico,” promptly complied:

Thank you very much for playing Visual Novel “Hanako”
Due to a major and intricate reasons, we were unavoidably close our site and stop the development of our game.

From today, year 2012 January 26, We’re closing “Hanako Official Site” for indefinite period.
We appreciate the players whom supported us. Thank you very much.

Now if only Miyazaki had the lawyers to run Disney into the ground for their xerox of Laputa: Castle In The Sky in the form of the hideous Atlantis.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:29   Link #2
djmaca
My Girl ↓

I knew Disney is just as corrupt as the rest of Hollywood now. But this will make Walt and Roy Disney turn over in their graves.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:40   Link #3
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Disney evidently did not see the funny side of this,
Well that's interesting. I don't seem to remember Disney being bothered very much when Luftwaffe pilot Adolf Galland used Mickey Mouse carrying a gun and a hatchet as his personal logo on his BF-109s. He died in 1996, which left plenty of time for Disney to sue him for using their Walt's creation, and yet they didn't do anything. So they must have been OK with having ol' Mickey appear on the side of a Nazi fighter. Curious.

Spoiler for pic related:

Endless "Adlertag" Soul
Old 2012-01-30, 22:23   Link #4
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
I knew Disney is just as corrupt as the rest of Hollywood now. But this will make Walt and Roy Disney turn over in their graves.
Why would they? They gleefully and happily made plenty of Anti-Japanese Propaganda Cartoons back in World War 2. If aything the ruin and destitution of these Japanese youth would have Walty splashing around with joy in his liquid nitrogen tank.
Old 2012-01-30, 22:25   Link #5
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

War usually keeps copyright battles from being worthwhile. Also that might have been considered parody. Also I think there were American bombers that probably used Mickey as well. I know some used Bugs Bunny.
Old 2012-01-30, 22:35   Link #6
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

http://kotaku.com/5880401/how-a-mick...led-a-fan-game

Quote:
Update: The email is actually a fraud and not from the company, something the game's developer confirmed after contacting Disney. The developer, however, no longer feels like continuing the project and apologized to Disney and its fans
oops?
Old 2012-01-30, 22:41   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

sankaku complex......
Old 2012-01-30, 22:42   Link #8
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Sankaku Complex. That is all.

But I will say that I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been true. I recall the old story about Disney suing a local daycare in Florida because they had paintings of Disney characters up on their walls.
Old 2012-01-30, 22:44   Link #9
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
sankaku complex......

I guess it them after all...
Old 2012-01-30, 23:10   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

At least the dentist I use to go to had Peanuts all over the place legally...since Charles Schulz painted them on their himself.
Old 2012-01-30, 23:41   Link #11
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Likely not. Walt was noted to be extremely ruthless with copyrighting and capitalist competition himself.
Old 2012-01-31, 04:44   Link #12
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Sudden insight: There were two of them Disneys.
Old 2012-01-31, 05:54   Link #13
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Most evil case of the Rat-Company's greed was their willingness to sue two grieving parents millions for carving Winnie the Pooh on their child's tombstone.
Old 2012-01-31, 06:17   Link #14
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Most evil case of the Rat-Company's greed was their willingness to sue two grieving parents millions for carving Winnie the Pooh on their child's tombstone.
Unbelievable. That's despicable.

Just goes to show, huh.
Old 2012-01-31, 07:56   Link #15
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

They also sued a kindergarden doing a play of the Lion King and shut down their stage play.

Ironic considering the origin of the Lion King in the first place. *cough*
Old 2012-01-31, 09:09   Link #16
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Incidents like this is a big part of the reason why everybody should strongly oppose bills/acts like ACTA, PIPA, and SOPA.

We're sadly not dealing with reasonable people here, who could be trusted to take only reasonable actions to protect their financial investments. No, we're talking about people who treat copyrights/trademarks as nothing less than the highest legal/moral imperative, more important than anything else, and that's way out of line with how the vast majority of society sees it.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:46   Link #17
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Likely not. Walt was noted to be extremely ruthless with copyrighting and capitalist competition himself.
Especially since wasn't Micky Mouse someone elses creation to begin with and Walt stole it? Or am I confusing that with something fictional.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:58   Link #18
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Especially since wasn't Micky Mouse someone elses creation to begin with and Walt stole it? Or am I confusing that with something fictional.
I think you're confusing it with the episode of Simpsons and Steamboat Itchy.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:42   Link #19
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Yeah, someone else stole a creation of Walt's ( i think it was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit) which pushed him to make his own studio so he'd have control over his own intellectual property.

It's also worth remembering that if Disney doesn't enforce it's trademarks (which could include things like Mickey's likeness), they lose control of the mark, which is why they might sometimes go after people in a callous way. They have to ensure the mark isn't genericized. Look at what happened to Hoover, Aspirin and Thermos.
Old 2012-01-31, 22:30   Link #20
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Somehow, the following video just seems so astonishingly appropriate after finding out about the Rat-House's disgusting greed towards even parents mourning their dead children.