AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-02-26, 10:10   Link #1
w00tix

I hate marathoning anime

I hate watching a anime straight through because I get so attached to the characters that I hate for the show to end, or do anything else but watch the current series. For the next couple days I am pretty much obsessed with the show I finished, finding out every little thing about it. Anyone else the same way? Or do you watch serveral series at one time?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-02-27 at 00:38.
w00tix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 10:39   Link #2
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I get that feeling especially when watching great anime like Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Cowboy Bebop. You're not alone in this predicament.

When I finished Cowboy Bebop, I cried. And for three days I couldn't do anything well - I often just stared into the beautiful trees outside our classroom. I failed at some quizzes, and I didn't study. I just slept and thought of Spike.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 10:59   Link #3
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Lol yeah that brings back memories from when I started watching animes.. Sakura Diaries come to mind. Now its true I listen to many titles at the same time. All mixt up with L-Actions I started a little while ago.

There are great things to learn through animes and mangas though, and since it always portrait a well done interpretation of society, I think its beneficial in every aspect to feel the way we do for animes..

BTW this belongs in the General anime forum I think. And for christ sake change the thread's title!

Last edited by JOJOS'STAR; 2006-02-26 at 12:42.
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 12:39   Link #4
Sephiroth

Alot of us feel the same way w00tix...

Especially when I am halfway through the series, eager to see the ending and when the ending comes, I will be like "what the fish? I don't want to see this anime end!!!"

Just... hate this feeling, but it's nothing we can do.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 14:13   Link #5
w00tix

The worst is when I'm watching a series at work, really getting into it, then someone has to call me and tell me their computer is broken, totally takes me out of the anime world and I am very hostile towards them.
w00tix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 14:17   Link #6
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
After I finished Kaitou Jeanne, I was so depressed that there wasn't any more that I stayed home from school the next day! XD
Old 2006-02-26, 19:35   Link #7
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Yea I get that feeling. I'll be coming up on the end thinking "I want to see a good ending, but I dont want to see the anime end..."

Then for the next few days all I can think about is that particular anime. NGE and Elfen Lied are my best examples of this.

I guess I get to attached to the characters.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 20:35   Link #8
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I get that feeling especially when watching great anime like Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Cowboy Bebop. You're not alone in this predicament.

When I finished Cowboy Bebop, I cried. And for three days I couldn't do anything well - I often just stared into the beautiful trees outside our classroom. I failed at some quizzes, and I didn't study. I just slept and thought of Spike.

You might have some issues.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 21:59   Link #9
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
You might have some issues.
I had the same reaction with Chrno Crusade. ;_;

and I'm positive that I have issues.
Old 2006-02-26, 22:29   Link #10
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

I stock up on a series, and then watch all the episodes on Friday or Saturday, since I dont like getting distracted in School, because of a show. I love watching series straight from begining to finish, especially 13 episode ones. To me the only thing is that I think about the anime the next day just for the morning, abd become active and forget about it.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-26, 23:51   Link #11
Fel
Clean up princess

I usually take upwards of three months to watch a GI 26er from start to finish. And I'm always watching four or five different shows at any given time.

I felt rather sad when Bebop and Outlaw Star finished their runs on Cartoon Network.
But I've never felt the same way when I finish a series in Japanese, even if it's a show I really enjoyed, or have been watching for a long time.
I guess I just don't connect with characters the same when they're speaking a foreign language, even if it is one I understand somewhat.
Old 2006-02-27, 00:00   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I forgot I did that with Ocean Waves as well. I watched it five times in a single day so as to analyze it properly. BTW, Ocean Waves is a Ghibli film, so it's quite good.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 00:16   Link #13
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I don't do marathon sessions quite so much now, but if an anime really takes me then i will happily sit through 26 eps back to back. Recent things that have had this effect on me + the not wanting it to end thing as well (side note, things i've watched recently, not recent anime):

Mars Daybreak
Stellvia
Fullmoon wo Sagashite
Ghost in the shell SAC (WOW, I could sit and watch this series for 200+ eps if it was there, and I'd still want more )
Genshiken - Half length series, but still left me wanting more dammit. Ohno had me begging for more eps actually heh
Last Exile
Twelve Kingdoms (I soooo badly want more of this series, looks like it won't happen any tmie soon though)
Zettai Shonen - wasn't sure what to expect with this, but it had me hooked in 5 minutes flat and I marathoned it in one afternoon/ evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel
I guess I just don't connect with characters the same when they're speaking a foreign language, even if it is one I understand somewhat.
Strange that, I can't actually connect with english speaking actors voicing characters in Japanese anime. Probably because they're so horrible at it. I actually feel more or less completely apathetic towards characters if they're speaking crappy dubbed english.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 00:33   Link #14
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
i totally get into it i watch at least 5 diffrent series at one time. When i am really into a series i will sit down and watch it straight through if all the episodes are out. Plus if i sense its going to be a sad ending i will go into denial mode and hope against hope that its not going to end the way i think its going to. I research the hell out of a series too just to make sure i didnt miss anything. I will even try watching a series over even if i hated just to give it a second chance. Recently i had never seen D. N. Angel but i had been hearing for the longest time how good it was so i ordered the whole series and watched all of it this weekend and loved it.
Old 2006-02-27, 04:29   Link #15
Rainy

Rarely do I spot any captivating series to marathon through. But if I do find one, after an anime binge, I often regret what I did. The best example is Twelve Kingdoms (aka The Greatest Anime Ever Came to Being), now I made a decision to watch no more than 2 eps at a time, if only for the sake of prolonging the sense of anticipation that came with watching anime slowly.

Read or Die TV had me marathoning through it. A really good show.

Quote:
Twelve Kingdoms (I soooo badly want more of this series, looks like it won't happen any tmie soon though)
If I were you, I wouldn't be so pessimistic. There is a high probability that Twelve Kingdoms should have a sequel. First, the anime is universally acknowledged as one of the best anime produced, luckily, with fame came popularity (and money).
Second, the director of the series is still active: recent Emma the Victorian Romance came out of his hands. Third, did you know Twelve Kingdoms are adapted from a series of ongoing novels? I really think the reason they are delaying release of sequels is because the producers (whatever you wish to call them) are waiting for more materials from novel to build upon.

Let's pray my dream come true: I will be the happiest person on Earth if a Twelve Kingdoms sequel is produced. (As of now, I am still holding my breath).
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 04:53   Link #16
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I don't really mind looking trough a whole serie straight(if it's a good anime ofcourse). It keeps you in the mood. Lots of series have that climax thing and then you have to wath the next episode with some serie's its hard to get into it with lessens the enjoyment.

It's true though that you think why did end so fast, but it's still a cool ride and if you really miss it you can always rewatch. =]
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 10:45   Link #17
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I remember back when I first marathoned Mai HiME. Heh, that was a mistake. One of my favourite series at the time by far, but the excitement combined with the vast amounts of emo stuff through the second half left me feeling drained like you wouldn't imagine.

Rainy: Yep, I know it's adapted from a series of novels, and Youko isn't actually the main character in the books either. I'm glad she is in the anime though, I fell in love with her character as soon as she arrived with her new appearance. Reason I was sounding pessimistic is the fact that they continued to ep45, despite the main arc finishing at ep39. Didn't make sense to me, if they had material, why drop it at an unfinished time like that?

However, since the material is 'adapted' from the books and doens't 100% faithfully follow the story... I imagine that's why it happened. Maybe they ran out of time/ money for that particular arc and had to put it on hold. Who knows Either way I'm right there alongside you in hoping for a continuation soon.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 10:53   Link #18
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I don't like doing this but lately I've had to due to tight schedules. I'm on a week vacation right now and have a day set asside to catch up. That's gonna be rough.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 11:19   Link #19
Ilpalazzo-sama

I have marathoned KGNE. Of course I originally planned to watch only a few eps. But after the ending of ep2, it sucked me in. You can guess the rest...
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 03:12   Link #20
Morisato

Exactly my feelings. Just obsess over it after it ended, thinking about it all day. Then it goes away and I forget about and on to a new anime.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote