AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 07:12   Link #661
brocko

We never saw the Shinonome household ever again after that Daruma incident. God truly has died. I'm assuming Nano took them all away to town/a better place

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 10:50   Link #662
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So what's with the Bob Hope joke?
Well since nobody has stepped up I tried to look into it a bit. Japanese anime blogs say the "sekken" in question is "soap" (石鹸; since Japanese is full of homophones it could have also been "thriftiness" or "interview"). Most of the commentary is along the lines of, "Oy, that's not a person!" I guess the joke is just on the absurdity? As in, "I want you to summon Soap!" and "Gasp! Are you telling me there was a real person named Soap?"

This still doesn't explain why the translator chose "Bob Hope" though. If the joke was really just on the absurdity of asking an Itako to summon "Soap" for you, then I think I would have gotten the joke if it was just translated as "Soap" (especially since the line, "Don't tell me a person named 'Soap' exists!" came later). The random "Bob Hope" is just unnecessarily confusing.
Old 2011-05-02, 11:16   Link #663
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I just want to know, exactly what phrase was supposed to be filled in under the picture of the naked fella
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 23:13   Link #664
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Mio get a little too into her drawing it seems.
However Sakurai-sensei was still really cute.
Old 2011-05-03, 03:04   Link #665
Echoes

All I can say about episode 5 is; I concur with Nano.

Moe desu!
Old 2011-05-03, 06:50   Link #666
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

someone make an avatar of daruma-kun with nice black glasses, its cool,
LOL

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 09:37   Link #667
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Well well... This episode was the best episode since the first one. Direction is still going no-where and amateurish (for instance, Rock scissors paper scene, disconnection between scenes and special effect is just killing all the humour), but at least there 'was' actual humour in it. Before that my response has been just repetition 'ah..... what? + a second of silence + empty laugh for 0.3 sec'.

Nano + professor part was a waste, but Mio and Mai part always at least amuses me. I personally really love Mai's character - unpredictable, tricky and doesn't show what the hell she is thinking at a time.

and, Sakamoto's voice is hell annoying, simply plain.
Old 2011-05-03, 10:48   Link #668
klare

Sakamoto talked like he had a solution about that doll, and then...

the Mai and Yukko combo is still good, hope that can continue
Old 2011-05-03, 10:59   Link #669
Gohan78
Awakened One

I don't want to sound like a pervert but I think that the reason why Nichijou isn't selling well is the lack of ero to go along with the kawaii. It's difficult to conquer the otaku crowd with cuteness and humor alone.

Lucky Star had Miyuki for the oppai lovers and KonataXKagami for the yuri fanboys. Another hook was Konata's otakuness.
K-ON!, while it was really tame with the fanservice, had at least 3 beach episodes and many "cosplay" episodes (maid cafe, punk rock band, etc.) plus the standard yuri undertones (Mitsu, Mugi's delusions).

KyoAni should have picked up A Channel instead. That series already had a bathing scene and next episode is the obligatory beach episode, not to mention the constant boob jokes and Tooru's yurilust for Run.
Alas, it seems that KyoAni decided to shy away from overt fanservice in recent years. How long is it since we had a lingerie shot from them? I think it's since Haruhi's first season.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 11:34   Link #670
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I don't want to sound like a pervert but I think that the reason why Nichijou isn't selling well is the lack of ero to go along with the kawaii....
That may be part of it, but the main thing, I think, is that this show is so slow. Every joke is stretched out over a long period of time. Sometimes that seems like subtlety and excellent humor, and sometimes it seems like filling time. (@Ithekro -- You're right: many jokes.)

That having been said, I have been warming up to this show over the past couple of episodes. Perhaps I am beginning to get the humour.

Compared to A-channel, this is funnier, for me, but perhaps emotionally less engaging. The characters are too weird to be completely sympathetic. But they are certainly fascinating. Every one of them has normal moments that suddenly break into complete weirdness.

And it is certainly true that there is very little ero here. Not that there is so much in A-channel, really.

One thing I am loving is some of the great animation, particularly in the ED. The rhythmic way the figures move in some parts of the ED is just amazing.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-05-03 at 13:11.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:36   Link #671
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

SOme jokes are long, but a few are short. The entire bit of Yuko playing that game to the piece hitting Mio's head to Mio retaliating the piece into Yuko's head was really short, but very funny.
Old 2011-05-03, 13:09   Link #672
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
One thing I am loving is some of the great animation, particularly in the ED. The rhythmic way the figures move in some parts of the ED is just amazing.
Agreed! I'm in love with the no-outlines style of the ED and the lively animation. Like something out of a children's book. ^^
Old 2011-05-03, 13:16   Link #673
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is it just me, or does it seem like the animators are having fun with this show and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.
Old 2011-05-03, 13:20   Link #674
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
I just want to know, exactly what phrase was supposed to be filled in under the picture of the naked fella
According to user comments on niconico douga's stream:

"The Correct Answer is: Flower"
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 16:26   Link #675
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Compared to A-channel, this is funnier, for me, but perhaps emotionally less engaging. The characters are too weird to be completely sympathetic. But they are certainly fascinating. Every one of them has normal moments that suddenly break into complete weirdness.
That's pretty much my reaction, except that I don't think that, for me, the characters are too weird to relate. It's more that I feel in Nichijou the characters' presentation is developed around the jokes, while in A-Channel the joke's presentations are developed out of the characters. What do I mean by that?

Take the scene in Nichijou where Mohawk guy flattens out his hair. It's a perfect scene, to me, but then his mother enters and screams. Why does she scream? Are we to think his mother is a hysteric? I doubt it. Rather, it's hyperbole for comedy's sake. Nichijou does this a lot: the change in animation style during the notebook chase scene, the slowmotion during the sausage scene, and so on.

Now, look at the closing scene of ep4 of A-Channel, where we see Tooru wear those loose socks. I'm sure the scene is included for thematic comedy. I don't remember sock problems with Tooru before, and I suspect we won't see them again. I think it's a one-off for the scene. But they're using this image as a pretext for interaction between Nagi and Tooru, something they've neglected so far. Rather than harping on the image, they immediately push it into the background to make a point about the characters.

I think it's simply a difference in focus. What do I want my audience to get out of the show?

Personally, I like Nichijou the best when it's quiet and situational - I loved the image of Sakamoto with his shaved ice next to the daruma doll next to the melting snowman. I loved the episode where blue-haired girl (forget her name) is being tricked by her sister in a bear costume, I generally enjoy Yukko-Mai interactions. But when they're stylistically extending jokes, or escalating punchlines, they're losing me. It's interesting to note that my favourite episode was ep4, which many here didn't like all that much.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 17:45   Link #676
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
According to user comments on niconico douga's stream:

"The Correct Answer is: Flower"
I can only say orz
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 18:45   Link #677
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sakerai-sensei is so clueless its cute.
Old 2011-05-03, 19:31   Link #678
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
someone make an avatar of daruma-kun with nice black glasses, its cool,
LOL
Done.
Old 2011-05-03, 22:36   Link #679
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Done.
claimed it thanks...

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 23:28   Link #680
FateAnomaly

I too prefer this to A-channel. Much more interesting. I don't think the characters are too weird either. But considering that some of my favourite shows are pani poni dash and galaxy angels, it really isn't saying much.

My favourite segments are those with hakase (she look so much like becky lol) and Nano. Mai and Yukko segments can be somewhat longwinded. Mio and Yukko are somewhat better though.

Last edited by FateAnomaly; 2011-05-03 at 23:38.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life