AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-05, 15:07   Link #21
SeaDoor

Well... that was a faithful adaptation of the previous first episode, almost scene by scene. I hope there will be a little more or maybe they'll just push through the character introductions during the first run. Glad to see this series get an update.

I have another series I'd like to see redone with some significant editing... Ai Yori Aoshi.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-05, 15:29   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Unlike most people, I went into this completely blind. I had of course heard of the series before and knew it was very popular, but I never really looked further. Just told myself I'd read the manga someday, and never did.

I was under the misconception this was an ordinary romance story, so I was quite surprised by the first episode. I didn't know about the supernatural elements, and it's quite clear they're going to be an obstacle to the romance, since apparently none of those bishounens can touch Tohru without turning into an animal. The other thing that surprised me was the heroine living in a tent, it may have surprised me more than the other thing in fact

Tohru seems like a really likable heroine. Maybe too perfect? We'll see. Her mother was a total MILF. Damn you, truck-kun.
Old 2019-04-05, 17:22   Link #23
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
Well... that was a faithful adaptation of the previous first episode, almost scene by scene. I hope there will be a little more or maybe they'll just push through the character introductions during the first run. Glad to see this series get an update.
Yep, seemed like the original's first episode to-the-letter. Was a bit taken back that it was practically exactly the same down to even the emotes. It felt like in the new version, they were playing the more serious moments up a notch, whereas the original played up the more comedic moments. I can almost gauge the difference in how the material was presented and why the author may have disliked the original, though, as far as first episodes go, I still felt the original did it better.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-05, 20:27   Link #24
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Unlike most people, I went into this completely blind. I had of course heard of the series before and knew it was very popular, but I never really looked further. Just told myself I'd read the manga someday, and never did.
This is pretty much my experience with this series too. I actually knew about the supernatural part of this series though, I was just under the impression that Tohru doesn't find out about it until much later.
Old 2019-04-05, 21:09   Link #25
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a very nice start kicking Motoko right off the bat Well kind of wonder why Kyo jumps threw the ceiling then attacking Yuki threw the window

Now waiting tell Kagura man handles Kyo
Old 2019-04-05, 22:43   Link #26
Frontier

I thought this was a pretty good premier, capturing the events of the beginning of the manga pretty well with some solid visual presentation and great voice acting, with some more nods to future stories for good measure. Having finished the manga I'm really excited to see the entire story animated .

Ah, Tohru. Such sweetness and purity in one human being is more of a crime then her going to school with the "prince" .

The voice cast is 100% on-point for all the characters, to where even if they didn't exactly fit the voice I had for them while reading the Manga they still sound extremely fitting for the character they're playing. I can't wait to hear everybody else .

I always remembered the transformations being caused by any skin-on-skin contact with the opposite sex, but I guess more of the body needs to be touching? Because Shigure touched Tohru's hand and didn't transform .

Man, Yuki looked kind of villainous in that scene where he summons his rat "friends" to help find Tohru's stuff. I forgot how much attitude he had even when not dealing with Shigure or Kyo .

It was kind of interesting seeing two Sohma's in the Ending who they haven't announced VA's for yet (you can probably guess which ones), which I assume means they'll show up in the first cour. That, plus tons of foreshadowing, including with cute animals .
Old 2019-04-06, 01:35   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hmm, it's been way too long since I read the manga, but I think that was a good first episode, for what it is supposed to be.
I mean, outside of the characters sounding weird and Tooru sounding like an idiot, but that is what happens when you change VAs, I guess...

Now the only problem is the ED, considering Ritsuko isn't singing it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 01:59   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, that was actually pretty great.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 03:01   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I was under the misconception this was an ordinary romance story, so I was quite surprised by the first episode. I didn't know about the supernatural elements, and it's quite clear they're going to be an obstacle to the romance, since apparently none of those bishounens can touch Tohru without turning into an animal.
They can touch. They can't hug.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 06:15   Link #30
Side-streetdog

It's been sometime since the last time I watched original, so memory about series is blur
But I feel many different already. Especially last moment of episode
If I remember correctly there was more comedy and panic feeling with scene and ost

I'm not sure where this would going
Original raised bar so high and it can't avoid comparison
Animation definitely better, but overall I'm not sure
Unless it goes so bad (which I doubt) I think I will follow this series until the end
Old 2019-04-06, 11:17   Link #31
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lots of sparkles for sure.

Like Kanon, I also went into this totally blind but I'm still not sure what to make of it now. The characters were likeable but they didn't hook me in, although I'm sure it's actual target demographic would think differently. Worst case scenario is that the shoujo trappings ultimately make me lose interest but there is the potential in the supernatural to spice things up.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 13:15   Link #32
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They can touch. They can't hug.
Which is weird because what happened with Rat and Dog, I wouldn't exactly call hugging, more like she just bumped into them. The thing with Cat could at least somewhat qualify as a hug.

While I didn't go into this completely blind, I've never seen the first anime or read the manga, although my sister is a huge fan. While Tohru is nice enough, and I know Fruits Basket is an older manga, at this point though I feel like the theme of sweet girl who brings everyone together has been done to death by now, I'll have to see how much of it I can take. Or maybe the show will surprise me.
Old 2019-04-06, 13:30   Link #33
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Which is weird because what happened with Rat and Dog, I wouldn't exactly call hugging, more like she just bumped into them. The thing with Cat could at least somewhat qualify as a hug.
The exact requirements are unclear, but imagine they caught her when she fell on them.

Weird nitpick: didn't the red lights look like lots of single red dots instead of lots of pairs of eyes?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 14:44   Link #34
HandofFate

was almost frame for frame of the 1st episode of old Fruits Basket, but guess there isn't much to change anyway
Old 2019-04-06, 16:58   Link #35
ArrowSmith

I dropped this after a few minutes, looks nice but not my thing anymore.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 14:04   Link #36
Sakuratsuki

The nostalgia , it has been many years ago when I watched the first anime. Refreshing to see this remake. The animation is quite good. Laughed quite a bit this first episode while remembering the exact the same scenes from back then. Looking forward to the other episodes. Unfortunately not the same seiyuu cast as the older one but ohh well this cast is doing a fine job too.

Well for the new watchers, give it some more episodes it's not a boring one I can assure you that.
Old 2019-04-07, 19:25   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
I dropped this after a few minutes, looks nice but not my thing anymore.
That does happen. When they run out of stuff to animate and come back to old works like this, the "good things" of the past aren't necessarily that good anymore.
For me, male otaku-related humor still works, but I'm iffy on the old shoujo stuff.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 06:31   Link #38
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ah Tohru. Ever the fount of unbridled optimism and positivity. My cousin loved the shit out of this series when she was a kid, and she's sort of excited to be watching it again this year.

That being said, I can sort of understand the feeling how this series has a sense of being out of place. I was 17 (an entire half of my lifetime ago!) when the original aired, and I can tell that with a bit of retrospection it's kinda clear that this is really a product of its era. It gave me that same sort of feeling in the recent Cardcaptor Sakura series that aired. It harkens back to those days and does sort of differentiate it from more recent work. Whether its sensibilities of nearly two decades ago can find an audience in 2019 remains to be seen.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 13:10   Link #39
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
That does happen. When they run out of stuff to animate and come back to old works like this, the "good things" of the past aren't necessarily that good anymore.
For me, male otaku-related humor still works, but I'm iffy on the old shoujo stuff.
Certainly beats the sort of shoujo I kept finding when I started reading manga online, where the main "love interest" would be basically a rapist or predator who looks at the girl like he owns her but he's got some sort of ridiculous overdone reason why he's an absolute bastard so she loves him anyway, only she was already swooning for him back before she knew he had a Freudian excuse. Here there's a lot more charm and while there's certainly melodrama involved to tug at the girl's heartstrings for the different guys, the guys aren't anywhere near that kind and Tohru doesn't seem the swooning type.

For me there were primarily two problems. First, the computer-generated smoke looks ridiculous and totally out of place; is it really that hard to just put in that little bit of additional animation for a couple clouds? Second, a minor nitpick, as someone who watched and fairly enjoyed the original I can't get Yui Horie's voice out of my head, so it's going to take some time to get used to this new VA. One of the problems with rebooting a classic I guess.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 16:47   Link #40
Top Sergeant

I know I watched the original broadcast of this anime back in the day but I really don't remember much about it.

The first episode of the new series was very enjoyable. Looking forward to next week.

Tags
remake