AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 06:21   Link #1
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
laptop 700M isnt able to play WoW anymore...

Hello all, i got a VERY annoying problem wiht my laptop, 700m

Recently I installed a fresh copy of windows on it sicne my IE was acting up and i needed it to log into school...mozilla doesnt quite work with it. Anyway, everything seemed to work fine, the Sd Card reader driver seemed to be the only one that needed to be installed. But after this, when i play my world of warcraft, it freezes! and then gives me the blue screen. Says something about theres not enough physical memory. Back before i did the reinstallation, i was able to play World of Warcraft JUST fine. no freezes no blue screen.

I updated the video driver from dell and it still doesnt work. Does anyone have a solution? thanks for your help!!
theanimedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 10:03   Link #2
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, to start off... it's a Dell. No offense, but Dells are too proprietary that you might be better off buying a computer from Best Buy than dealing with the repairs.

As for the "blue screen of death" problem of yours, you might want to compare the recommended specifications that WoW demands to the specifications your laptop has.

From what the blue screen of death seems to say, the RAM is being overburdened. Write down the error code and look it up in Google to get specifics. From the specs I read about your laptop, its onboard video was never meant to deal with graphic-intensive programs. With 64MBs of onboard video memory, it would be worn out. 256MB RAM also is pretty much redlining it. You would have to have nearly every setting in WoW as low as possible, but even then, I believe you'd simply be delaying the blue screen of death from occurring again. I've attempted the same thing with my laptop (which mine had 64MB of onboard video memory and 512MB RAM) and I still recieved the same problem. WoW and several other games (MMORPG especially) just heavily rely on the video chipset and RAM.

The only solution I can think of is getting a new laptop with a nVidia GeForce (or ATI, depending on what you like, though I've learned MMORPGs like WoW are better off with nVidia) onboard video with exceptional video memory, RAM and processor. Just make sure it meets the recommended specs that WoW demands and a little more so it can handle some background processes while you play. Intel M (Centrino) isn't one of Intel's more powerful processors to handle graphic-intensive programs.

Any way you go about it, you'll have to lower the settings of WoW, especially graphics. Hardware gets worn down over time. There's really no avoiding it. The only thing anyone can do is to try and make it last as long as possible by not pushing it too hard.

Good luck.

Last edited by Phantom-Takaya; 2007-04-12 at 10:17.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 11:42   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I had a problem with a blue screen some while ago (but different to yours), and while surfing for a solution I found many people with your problem, and I *think* the issue is solved by installing XP's SP2 and its updates + video driver. I *think*.

Might want to check the code of the error and surf for possible solutions. Windows' homepage has a detailed list of descriptions of different types of blue screens and their solution (if any).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 11:57   Link #4
theanimedude

ok i'll look up the code when i get home....

the main thing that puzzles me is that before the reinstallation, i was able to play WOW just fine. yeap...i was able to play it smoothly....but this time i had to lower my settings all the way down and i STILL had the blue screen of death.....
Old 2007-04-12, 12:27   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You did reinstall Windows from the Dell CD that came with the laptop, right? These reinstallation disks have the various drivers and so forth that match your hardware.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 14:25   Link #6
theanimedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You did reinstall Windows from the Dell CD that came with the laptop, right? These reinstallation disks have the various drivers and so forth that match your hardware.
Yeah i got the laptop during the time Dell was being stupid and cheap and so they didnt send any driver cds at all. there was a program in the laptop that allowed you to make the backup CD once. jsut once. i thought that was insanely stupid....
Old 2007-04-12, 15:36   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think it's entirely Dell's fault. I suspect their OEM agreements with Microsoft came into play here as well. These kind of "only-one-backup-CD" restrictions started appearing a few years' ago as part of Microsoft's efforts to reduce piracy of Windows. I had the same situation with a non-Dell laptop I bought a year or two ago.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 15:51   Link #8
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
That's actually a standard for most computers now. You have to purchase your own blank DVD or CD to create your restore CD/DVD.

It certainly sounds like it's a hardware problem, whether it be the reinstallation causing conflict with the hardware or the hardware failing. When I worked for a computer repair company, it was normally a hardware issue. In fact, it was almost a constant that video cards needed to be replaced after a period of time. (6 to 18 months.) As for laptops, it's just much more difficult. The video is onboard, so that means you have to replace the motherboard which is worth buying a new laptop with better features that can handle the requirements.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:17   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I know that allocating video RAM is usually done in the BIOS, but is it possible that when he reinstalled, the video RAM allocation became less? (As in, maybe he had 64 MB allocated before, but now it's been reset to 32?) It still wouldn't really explain the blue screens, though.
Old 2007-04-12, 22:24   Link #10
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

That's one possibility. A very unique one, but it's possible. But, when a video card does not have enough RAM, it usually starts to draw from the other RAM. As suggested by nearly everyone, it's best to find out what the error code is referring to. Video Card failure, RAM failure (video card or motherboard), file corruption, driver corruption (which is very rare)... These are a few of many that can lead to the blue screen of death. So, it's best to write down the error code that it displays so you can research it.

I just know from experience of both having had worked for a computer repair company and simply pushing my computers and laptops to and beyond their limits that the most mainstream problem is due to the hardware failing, whether it be pushing it to hard to the point that it burns out, or simply it wearing itself down over time.
Old 2007-04-12, 23:35   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
I just know from experience of both having had worked for a computer repair company and simply pushing my computers and laptops to and beyond their limits that the most mainstream problem is due to the hardware failing, whether it be pushing it to hard to the point that it burns out, or simply it wearing itself down over time.
The only reason I'm wary of calling it a hardware problem is because he said he could run it fine before he did a reinstall. It's possible that something wore out in that time span, but I don't know... I'm guessing there's a driver problem. Checking the error code, as you suggested, would probably be the best bet to figuring out what's wrong and where to go from there.

By the way, welcome to the forums, Phantom-Takaya. It's always great to have more computer experts around to help out and spread knowledge around. Hopefully you'll stick around here for a long time, as you seem like a really knowledgeable one
Old 2007-04-13, 06:17   Link #12
theanimedude

Hey guys,

the BSOD says that there is an error with the file name "ialmrnt5" and that it was in an infinite loop. then when i restarted my laptop, the resolution became 800x600 when its usually wide screen.

I googled it and there seemd to be a problem all over the net with WOW players ever since the patch updated with Burning Crusade. i so happened to of reinstalled windows and then update to BC right after the reinstallation.......erm....i dont think there is a solution for it yet from blizzard.....i did try some other method like:

1. installing an older version of the ialmrnt5.dll file in the system32 folder but that didnt do nuttin, it just prolonged it, still got the BSOD

2. I uninstalled the video driver on the control panel and windows seemed to of reinstalled the video driver.....When i play i think it seems ok but i still get weird artifacting such as my icons being fully blacked out or something like that.

Any more suggestion?
Old 2007-04-13, 07:09   Link #13
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Maybe getting a display driver from Intel? That laptop has an Intel 855GME video chipset right?

That crashing "ialmrnt5" file is part of the "Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver"
Updating the drivers should do the trick normally.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 07:13   Link #14
theanimedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
Maybe getting a display driver from Intel? That laptop has an Intel 855GME video chipset right?

That crashing "ialmrnt5" file is part of the "Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver"
Updating the drivers should do the trick normally.
yeah i tried...but no can do cuz i have a Dell......so i have to wait for dell to update their driver.....when i do try to install the new driver, it said error and that i should go to my manufacturer's website.
Old 2007-04-13, 09:58   Link #15
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Strange O.o

I installed the Intel drivers for the my wireless network adapter (Intel 2200BG) instead of using those I got from the manufacturer.

The only thing that didn't install very well were the Catalyst drivers for the ATI 9700 Mobility, but that can be bypassed by using the Omega Drivers
Laptop laptop/pc manufacturer drivers are crap... especially for graphics cards.

And... You'll have to wait forever for new drivers. Dell doesn't produce the 700M anymore and once the hardware arrives at its end-of-life cycle in the Dell factory, the driver development dies with it. Same for any other company.
When I buy something like a laptop, I try to choose one where I'll be able to install drivers that aren't made by the brand of my laptop.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 10:06   Link #16
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Gotta love Dell... "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop 0x000000*" error code or something to that degree, right? (The asterisk means there should be digits and letters there.) Try http://support.microsoft.com/ first. That's usually the first place you go to.