Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-24, 10:55   Link #81
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Oh, and who was that samurai? Have we seen him before? Somehow I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing him again. Maybe he's with the House of Seven Leaves?
I was thinking a member of a rival gang or police. Someone that knows about the group but isn't in the group. He did specifically ask if a woman asked him to gather leaves.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:58   Link #82
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Maybe he's with the House of Seven Leaves?
So we're gonna just add more leaves to the house Though the house is complete at the moment, if you watch the OP only 5 characters are shown (Im not counting Ume's daughter) including Matsu so either someone really isnt in the house and thats why theyre trying to get Masa in or someone is gonna leave the house before Masa joins. But again are we including the Old Man in our count like Masa is?
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 19:55   Link #83
Joojoobees

We should also consider whether "complete" really means "there are five members". Complete can also mean that Masa brings some quality that the others lack. That could be a skill, as in swordsman, or it could be personal, even moral. Masa seems to have interpreted the remark as meaning 5, but that doesn't mean he is correct.
Old 2010-04-25, 23:28   Link #84
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I really love the BGM here - best of the season for me so far. I know some are going to drop this because of the slow pacing, but I'm enjoying it a lot. It's like nothing else I've seen for quite a while.

Has there been some looping back to the prologue of the first episode (the kid with the leaf-shaped burn scar) that I missed, or is that still unexplained? It wasn't a flashback, was it? I thought for a minute it was the kid that was in Ume's basket, but obviously that wasn't the case.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 00:12   Link #85
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Has there been some looping back to the prologue of the first episode (the kid with the leaf-shaped burn scar) that I missed, or is that still unexplained? It wasn't a flashback, was it? I thought for a minute it was the kid that was in Ume's basket, but obviously that wasn't the case.
I have seen some people say that the kid was Yaichi (which would explain the name of his gang).

Prior to that, I thought it was Masanosuke (explaining why he has personality issues), which fits with the fact that the birth of a younger brother is mentioned right before that scene ends, and Masa says he has a younger brother.

Either way that would be a flashback, but an alternate theory might still be possible.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 00:37   Link #86
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Of those, I think the second is more likely - that boy's personality seemed much more akin to Masa's than Ichi's.

The director's Zettai Shounen ties are apparent in the relaxed, wistful pacing but more than anything I'm reminded of Mushishi thus far - and not just because of Yuichi's resemblance to Ginko. The storytelling and BGM, as well as the backdrops, very much put me in mind of that great series.
Old 2010-04-26, 02:31   Link #87
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I always thought it was a flashback to young Masa, showing the beginnings of his estrangement from the family, as well as of his sword training. I look forward to the time when someone -- a woman? -- discovers the scar/birthmark that looks so much like a maple leaf. If it is Masa.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 02:48   Link #88
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The kid in the flashback is Yaichi. To start off, just look at his eyes, that's enough evidence for me. But there's also the fact that the samurai taking care of him was called "Yaichi", he 's probably the one who adopted him after his foster family got rid of him. And of course, the scar on his back explains why he named his gang "Five leaves".

The reason why Yaichi is so interested in Masa might be because he reminds him of his younger self.

Last edited by Kanon; 2010-04-26 at 04:28.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 08:59   Link #89
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Of those, I think the second is more likely - that boy's personality seemed much more akin to Masa's than Ichi's.
People change. Not to mention that his experiences in that family might be one of the reasons Five Leaves limits its targets. I'm with Kanon - thought it was Yaichi right from the first episode...but no one seemed to want to discuss it last week...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 11:13   Link #90
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'm with Kanon - thought it was Yaichi right from the first episode...but no one seemed to want to discuss it last week...
I thought it was pretty obvious.

Well I finally watched episode 2. The art still seems a bit weird to me but I think I'm getting used to it. Not much happened except that Akitsu is starting to get more involved. Okay episode, I guess.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-26 at 13:54.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 11:16   Link #91
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the leaf-shaped scar certainly made me think that was the case. But there was so little transition that I wasn't sure - and again, he didn't look much like Yuichi to me. I suppose you're most likely right.
Old 2010-04-26, 12:13   Link #92
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I thought it was Masa just based on his interaction but it being Yaichi makes more sense. Ill have to watch the beginning of epi 1 again to see for myself. But Im leaning toward that its probably Yaichi.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-26, 13:59   Link #93
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I also thought the boy and Yaichi had similar eyes. To me Masa's eyes and the boy's don't match at all.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 16:13   Link #94
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also thought the boy and Yaichi had similar eyes. To me Masa's eyes and the boy's don't match at all.
I wasnt comparing eyes though know that I think about it, they did have more of a Yaichi tone to them. I thought it was Masa since hearing what happened to him as a child made his odd personality quirks make sense. But yeah the mark makes more sense of it being Yaichi.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-29, 12:51   Link #95
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Loved epi 3!!!!

Finally we got confirmation that the kid was Yaichi and man interesting back story. Now we see more into who he is.

I figured the little kid was some how related to The Master, espc with how his wife reacted. It was pretty obvious after Yaichi learned this the plan would change.

I still wanna know more about that Samurai.

Love.this.series.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-30, 01:32   Link #96
Joojoobees

Yeah, things are slowly coming to a boil. Yaichi's backstory is interesting, the samurai must have more significance than we've seen, and Masa has been relentlessly played by the gang.
Old 2010-04-30, 10:39   Link #97
Serpit

That samurai looked suspiciously like the man in Yaichi's first flashback. The one that cheered him up with a training fight, remember?
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 11:23   Link #98
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
That samurai looked suspiciously like the man in Yaichi's first flashback. The one that cheered him up with a training fight, remember?
I just rewatched it and youre right he does! Also I cant believe I didnt realize the servant guys name was Yaichi since its said several times

At this point it wouldnt surprise me at all if Yaichi and the samurai knew eachother since Yaichi definitely has connections. Makes me wonder what his connection is since he only shows up when the other members arent around Masa.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-04-30, 15:31   Link #99
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show is my favorite of the season. All three episodes have been operating at a high level. Actual art, visual and dramatic.

I went back and rewatched ep1 and yes, it should have been obvious to me that the kid is Yaichi, both from the eyes and from the continuity: he comes between two Yaichi scenes.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 16:42   Link #100
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I love this show too. Definitely in my top 3 this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
Yep, that's him. His name is Yagi Heizaemon. The flashback in episode 3 was very interesting. The abductor pretends Yaichi (the servant) is the one that brought the deal to them, but I'm sure there's something more to that. In fact, I think he's the reason those bandits left Yaichi (kid) alive. In his discussion with Yagi in episode 1, he seemed genuinely concerned about the little Yaichi. I'm very eager to see the rest of Yaichi's past, I'm predicting he will go back to his house despite what he's been told, and that Yaichi S will die protecting him.

Now, about the present part of the episode. Masa was very fun to watch as always, I just knew he was going to eat one of those rice cakes and fall asleep lol. Yaichi is totally toying with him, though I don't think he has any bad intentions. On the hand the other members seem to have already accepted Masa as one of their own, often asking why Masa didn't join their meetings, etc...

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen