AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-28, 21:03   Link #21
Team Rocket Elite

This should be their last tournament unless we get another new movie. If it means we'll get another movie, I'm okay with seeing them back one more time.
Old 2014-06-28, 22:44   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
So... when do matches start? Or prelims anyway?
Old 2014-06-28, 23:03   Link #23
Team Rocket Elite

I'm not sure if that's been announced yet.
Old 2014-06-29, 00:36   Link #24
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

After the 5th to be sure.
Old 2014-06-29, 17:36   Link #25
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
This should be their last tournament unless we get another new movie. If it means we'll get another movie, I'm okay with seeing them back one more time.
If they get another movie, I wouldn't mind Madoka as much as long they aren't over dominating by then. I have to say pleasant surprise if it turns out they aren't dominating at all this year though.
Old 2014-06-30, 06:07   Link #26
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

I don't think I'll be supporting as many girls as before since I didn't watch much recently, and it doesn't seem that there is any outstanding girls besides the veterans anyway.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2014-07-02, 09:11   Link #27
RJ TAYLER

Starting quietly this year, have yet to 'frame a market' in my mind regarding 'certs and long shots' at the moment don't have a 'dark horse pick' either so this year will be 'strange' for me to say the least. Good luck girls you are going to need it.

SAIMOE XIII 2014 START YOUR ENGINES AND MAKE YOUR RUN FOR THE SKY.
Old 2014-07-02, 11:11   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We should start to see at least something next week I would think.
Old 2014-07-04, 04:06   Link #29
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Since 2008 or so, even-numbered years were awesome, whereas odd-numbered years were quite awful (Saimoe-wise). So I have great expectations for this year.

As always, I'll be rooting for Saki. Achiga-hen was a great boost for the series back in 2012, so hopefully, Zenkoku-hen will be the same.
Old 2014-07-06, 20:00   Link #30
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

I just noticed this, but the last three finals were intra-series, Madoka twice and Saki in between them. Of the 12 previous tournaments, 5 of the finals had characters from the same series ('04, '08, '11, '12, & '13).

So far, no idea what's going on with this year's show.
Old 2014-07-07, 18:32   Link #31
Hachiko
The Akita

Hello guys, I'm back after a long layoff and staffing at Anime Expo. I think one of the main storylines will be whether or not Saki and Madoka will be relevant this year or if a new face/series takes the reins. Madoka Kaname has done a great job as Saimoe Prime Minister, so we'll see who succeeds her.
Old 2014-07-07, 19:49   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Have the setup been finalised for the preliminary rounds?
Old 2014-07-08, 10:33   Link #33
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Have the setup been finalised for the preliminary rounds?
No not yet it seems like, the only thing known is they'll start prelims and such during July.
Old 2014-07-10, 13:38   Link #34
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Guess it is time for my annual Saimoe return
Old 2014-07-10, 16:35   Link #35
Subayai

I'm still not sure if I'll follow this very closely this year but I was suprised to see that they announce some big changes to the tournament structure this year. For example:

- Parts of the tournament will have separation between new characters and veterans. Like, starting from the 1st prelims, there will be groups of newbies and groups of veterans, apparently.

- The 2nd prelims will be a massive match of 448 characters. The characters who classify will be chosen by a proportional representation system called the Sainte-Laguë method. Votes for characters of the same series will be added together, then divided by 1, 3, 5, 7,... and then characters will be picked in a similar way as how political party members are chosen in elections.

- The main phase of the tournament will have only 3 rounds and then there will be a "mini-league phase" before the finals.

None of this is official yet but the organizers intend to have everything ready in the next two days so we should have confirmation soon. If there are no delays, the draw for the preliminaries will take place this Sunday (July 13) with the 1st prelims starting the 19th.
Old 2014-07-10, 16:40   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

^ Wowsers, these are some radical changes. I think I see what they're going for with them, but I have to admit I'm skeptical of how this will turn out in actual application. I have a feeling that J-SaiMoe may seem overly bloated and convoluted with these changes, much less fun to follow.
Old 2014-07-10, 16:52   Link #37
Subayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
^ Wowsers, these are some radical changes. I think I see what they're going for with them, but I have to admit I'm skeptical of how this will turn out in actual application. I have a feeling that J-SaiMoe may seem overly bloated and convoluted with these changes, much less fun to follow.
Yes, I was thinking the same. If the tournament becomes too complicated, it becomes less fun. I like the simplicity of direct elimination.

On the other hand, trying something new can also be good sometimes. Apparently, one of the reasons they introduce changes is "for the sake of experimentation". The other reason being to reduce the influence of certain veteran series of course.
Old 2014-07-10, 17:07   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Well, the good news here is that the organizers realize that the tournament needs some changes. Even as a Madoka Magica and Saki fan, I don't think it would be ideal for either series to be dominant again this year.

My personal preference would be a simple retirement "time-out" system. If a particular anime series claims 2 J-SaiMoe champions in 3 years or less, then that series gets an automatic year off, regardless of whether or not it had a recent anime airing. As an addition, maybe it would be good if defending champs have to take a year off. I mean, I get the appeal of seeing if a defending champ can win again or not, but since it's never happened, it's not currently much of a question, imo.
Old 2014-07-11, 08:45   Link #39
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Interesting preliminary system they've got there. I wonder how many times would the character appeared in Saimoe to be considered a veteran for this.
Old 2014-07-11, 10:02   Link #40
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Superficially it reminds me of the duel system currently used in the International Saimoe League.

Tags
saimoe, saimoe 2014