AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-08-07, 05:13   Link #61
NvIon

I just want to clear a big misunderstanding about DXVA.

Nvidia since last year has improved DXVA compatability tremendously by implementing L5.1 profile encoded streams together with 16 reference frames support. Now everything that didn't work before just works.

All you need is to install the latest Nvidia GPU drivers(190.62 WHQL or later) or mobile GPU drivers(185.85/186.03 WHQL or later) and get the latest MPC-HC SVN compiles which has the latest DXVA updates. You cannot use the latest official release from Sourceforge, 908 is old and doesn't have the ton of work that has went into MPC-HC since it was released.

I'm fully enjoying all the L5.1 encodes that didn't work before on my Nvidia desktop card with DXVA decoding.

CoreAVC CUDA decoding is limited to 15 reference frames encodes and not to mention it's not free. Yes, I know most of you will pirate CoreAVC but seriously, DXVA is free and it works far better now, it's a no brainer not to use it.

And just so you know, G80 GPU(Geforce 8800 GTX/Ultra, 8800 GTS320/640) does support CUDA but does not have the VP2 unit like Nvidia GPUs released after it, so you can't use CoreAVC CUDA or DXVA decoding for it.

I'll be writing a guide later to help people get DXVA working on their Nvidia Ion powered systems. The guide will also work with all Nvidia desktop & mobile GPUs that support H.264 bitstream decoding.

Last edited by NvIon; 2009-08-21 at 19:28.
Old 2009-08-07, 06:09   Link #62
npcomplete

but don't the encodes still have to fit within the restrictions of the profiles? I mean can it accelerate an encode with arbitrary options?

BTW: do you know how well the latest MPC-HC's DXVA works on ATI?
Old 2009-08-07, 11:55   Link #63
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
No, it still needs to be compliant in many ways; CUDA is just another interface to the same hardware used by DXVA. It might have fewer arbitrary restrictions, but it still is limited.
My bad then, I have tried using CoreAVC with CUDA and it worked with almost every fansub I had, but I admit I didn't really test much encodes because it wasn't my PC. DXVA I haven't tried for some time so I wouldn't know how much it has improved.

I have an ATI card at the moment and they have never been particularly good at h264 decoding but I'll give it a shot to see how it works.
Old 2009-08-08, 05:02   Link #64
Vagrant0

Played around a bit with the settings. Processor usage is hanging around 80% with 90% spikes in MPC (above normal priority, both cores being used, 2 threads in MPC (stopping all non-windows processes didn't make any difference)), but video is still lagging behind audio same as before. Additionally, some .mkv and .mp4's (even smalller resolution) which were playing fine before are also lagging or stuttering. Xvid are still fine however. I'm not even going to try to guess what this means. Installing the trial of Core AVC didn't help any this time around though. But, dropping my desktop resolution down to 800x600, 16 bit color did manage to improve things with the smaller resolution stuff. However, this isn't something that can be done with higher resolution videos.

I don't know what DXVA is, but in MPC decoder > settings, DXVA is greyed out, and says it isn't being used. So either it isn't supported by my videocard, or I don't know how to enable it.

Last edited by Vagrant0; 2009-08-08 at 05:14.
Old 2009-08-09, 08:50   Link #65
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

You said something about having no sound.
Did you make sure you installed optimized drivers from your video card manufacturer after starting afresh? This could affect video performance.

Also, could you please post screenshots of tabs in CPU-Z?

PS: DXVA might be enabled (on some cards?) after installing the latest version(s) of directx 9.
Old 2009-08-10, 08:19   Link #66
Vagrant0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasqual Twilight View Post
You said something about having no sound.
Did you make sure you installed optimized drivers from your video card manufacturer after starting afresh? This could affect video performance.

Also, could you please post screenshots of tabs in CPU-Z?

PS: DXVA might be enabled (on some cards?) after installing the latest version(s) of directx 9.
Sound was because I had not yet installed the drivers for my motherboard. I did install the latest drivers for my videocard. They probably aren't optimized, but am a bit hesitant of installing drivers from a 3rd party source. I'm even more hesitant given that I don't know that much in the first place, so wouldn't be able to determine what is optimal for my system from things that may be optimized, but are not something I would likely benefit from. I have however turned down almost every visual setting I could find, with little result.

Don't much like installing random software on my computer, especially given that I'm using a fresh install, and would like to keep my registry as uncluttered as possible. The same information I have posted is the same information you would be getting anyway. If you think something else is relevant, you could simply ask.

I installed Direct X when I went through the process of getting the base system working. dxdlg confirms that version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) is currently installed.

Spoiler for Trunicated Output Of dxdlg:

*edit* Did a search for optimized drivers, didn't find anything useful since my card is so old. Either the optimized drivers don't support the card, or the older optimized drivers are for an earlier version of the official driver and catalyst. Somehow I don't think either situation would be of much help.

Last edited by Vagrant0; 2009-08-11 at 08:52.
Old 2009-08-12, 20:16   Link #67
Hareoic
There will be burgers

I have a question: Does the slowdown happen only when you play the OP or does it persist through the entire episode regardless of where you skip to?
Old 2009-08-12, 21:28   Link #68
Tran225

well this seem like the same problem i have so no point in making a new thread.
Everytime i watch anime (mainly gg fansubs) the pictures often doesnt sync with the audio
anyone have an idea on how i can improve my video preformance, ill give my computer specs:
3.0 GHZ
1.5gig ram
window xp
nvidia geforce 6800 XT 256mb video card
monitor size... 19 inch current display mode: 1400x900 (32 bits)(60HZ)

uses CCCP, FDSHOW and for MKV i either use Zoomplayer or Windows Media Player

GGfansubs approx video mkv size - 360,000 kb~

Spoiler for CCCP Insurgent on Bakemontogari:
Old 2009-08-13, 11:40   Link #69
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
computer specs:
3.0 GHZ
What processor do you have
Old 2009-08-13, 15:42   Link #70
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
well this seem like the same problem i have so no point in making a new thread.
Everytime i watch anime (mainly gg fansubs) the pictures often doesnt sync with the audio
anyone have an idea on how i can improve my video preformance, ill give my computer specs:
3.0 GHZ
1.5gig ram
window xp
nvidia geforce 6800 XT 256mb video card
monitor size... 19 inch current display mode: 1400x900 (32 bits)(60HZ)

uses CCCP, FDSHOW and for MKV i either use Zoomplayer or Windows Media Player

GGfansubs approx video mkv size - 360,000 kb~

Spoiler for CCCP Insurgent on Bakemontogari:
My machine's a similar build and I'm encountering the same problem (with the same subs, no less). However, I've found a workaround: skip the OPs. After that, everything runs just fine for some reason.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:11   Link #71
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm having problems with [gg]'s releases too. Other h.264 releases of the same resolution play fine, but [gg]'s have desync problems (among other issues).
Old 2009-08-14, 00:29   Link #72
Vagrant0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hareoic View Post
I have a question: Does the slowdown happen only when you play the OP or does it persist through the entire episode regardless of where you skip to?
I see where you're going on this. Yes, I have noticed that OP/ED tend to be more prone to synch issues since they tend to be one of the places where there is more movement. But, the ep I was using for benchmarking doesn't have an OP, which is one of the reasons why I was using it (also much harder to notice a synch issue when watching an OP since there is rarely point to compare mouth/object movements with sounds. Although this might be the case, I have synch issues no matter what point I start playing from, even if there is virtually no onscreen movement.

Although there might be some possibility that the way gg is encoding is leading to more demanding files than normal, I've still had the same issues with files from other groups.
Old 2009-08-14, 09:12   Link #73
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

[gg]'s Umineko releases, the video plays very slowly and the sound quickly goes out of sync during the OP and ED. After about a minute, the sound starts to break up, distort and clip badly.

This is unusual because [gg]'s releases of Canaan don't have this problem at all.

Both releases are 848x480 h.264. One has a problem, one doesn't. And other groups' releases of Umineko don't have the problem (even with more elaborate karaoke subs in the OP).
Old 2009-08-14, 20:08   Link #74
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Both releases are 848x480 h.264. One has a problem, one doesn't. And other groups' releases of Umineko don't have the problem (even with more elaborate karaoke subs in the OP).
I don't really understand why they're encoding them at 848x480 in the first place when they can use the h.264 codec to correct the display aspect ratio on its own...
I know that this makes the filesize smaller, but I don't know if it helps with playback as well, so maybe it's a moot point.

Last edited by Hareoic; 2009-08-14 at 20:49.
Old 2009-08-15, 09:01   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OP/ED encodes often have much higher bitrates than the program content so they stress your processor more. My last computer was a 3.0 GHz Pentium D with an nVidia 6600 that could not play the OP to Kure-nai without losing sync or dropping frames. It had no trouble with the program itself. I later upgraded the video card to an nVidia 9500 and used nVidia's drivers to offload h.264 to the graphics card. This solved the problem for me. (I use mplayer on Linux for which nVidia has a "VDPAU" driver, but there's an equivalent "CUDA" driver for Windows.)
Old 2009-08-15, 09:28   Link #76
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I realize that the OP/ED will be more resource-intensive. What baffles me is that it's only the Umineko releases giving me problems. Other gg releases (such as Canaan) have no such issue, and 480p h.264 releases from other groups don't have this problem either.

It's smooth as silk when on AC power with the eee PC overclocked to 1.1GHz (using CoreAVC 1.9.5 of course). Just not... not those Umineko encodes for some reason. I'm really tempted to go borrow my friend Laury's Intel Core 2 media laptop to see how it handles those same files.
Old 2009-08-15, 11:26   Link #77
Miles Teg

With a C2D those video should play without problem, my E6750 don't leave it's low power state (2Ghz) when playing 720p and rarely go above 30% in this state
Old 2009-08-15, 15:27   Link #78
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yes, unless there's a problem or error with the encodes, in which case all my attempts to "fix" the problem have been in vain. Watching them on a computer that I know can play them with ease will tell me if the desynch problems are related to a simple lack of processing power on my netbook, or if the files themselves are corrupted.
Old 2009-08-15, 15:49   Link #79
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Apparently there was something in the encodes that made it mess up, because the newest episode (seven) plays without slowing down at all. I checked the properties/details from Media Player Classic, and they were different:

From episode 6:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 848x480 (853:480) 23.98fps [Video]

From episode 7:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 848x480 23.98fps [Video]

I guess that they were trying to correct the aspect ratio.
Old 2009-08-15, 19:37   Link #80
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I need to try #07.

Edit: Ep. 7 works flawlessly. Glad it's the files and not me.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2009-08-15 at 20:01.