AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-20, 03:46   Link #81
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

High School students. Will except Ui, Asuza, and their class for the first half of the series.
Old 2009-09-21, 15:48   Link #82
MadModBassist
That funky dude himself

Location: Where it's circular on the outside and high in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I find it silly how can a series about lolis and NOT about music can be musical inspiration.
Umm, let's see...

K-ON! is a derivative off of the Japanese word for light music. They're in a frickin' band. The music for the show is made by technically-great musicians.

How you can't see someone being inspired by this show is beyond me. You're stating that it's silly someone can be inspired musically by music, basically.

To that I insert a big
Old 2009-09-22, 22:41   Link #83
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadModBassist View Post
Umm, let's see...

K-ON! is a derivative off of the Japanese word for light music. They're in a frickin' band. The music for the show is made by technically-great musicians.

How you can't see someone being inspired by this show is beyond me. You're stating that it's silly someone can be inspired musically by music, basically.

To that I insert a big
Respect and inspiration are two different things...

As a musician, I can respect people like Beethoven and Mozart while having no interest in picking up classical music at all, while at the same time, a neo-classical virtuoso like Randy Rhodes or Yngwie Malmsteen can inspire me to pick up guitar shredding...

I can respect the real life counterparts that do the musical performance and recording, but that doesn't mean I have to draw any musical inspiration from it, have any interest or intent in learning how to play K-On!'s type of music, nor do I have to even like the music at all...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-09-23, 02:25   Link #84
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
You know, there is a Chuck Norris cartoon somewhere. Even if you like Him it doesn't mean you will like or you will be inspired from that cartoon crapmount. And let's not go to G.I.Joe...
Old 2009-09-23, 13:55   Link #85
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
You know, there is a Chuck Norris cartoon somewhere. Even if you like Him it doesn't mean you will like or you will be inspired from that cartoon crapmount.
Too bad more than a majority of so-called Chuck Norris "fans" can't even list another media title he starred in short of "Texas Walker Ranger" and maybe "Delta Force" and "The A-Team" if you give them hints...That cartoon is a crapshoot; Good luck finding anyone who even knows about it in the first place...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-10-14, 08:18   Link #86
coderlan
Student

I'm inspired to draw and play guitar by K-On and I want to buy an electric guitar but on december that is. K-On! just rocks for me.
Old 2009-10-24, 04:27   Link #87
rockmanxpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Too bad more than a majority of so-called Chuck Norris "fans" can't even list another media title he starred in short of "Texas Walker Ranger" and maybe "Delta Force" and "The A-Team" if you give them hints...That cartoon is a crapshoot; Good luck finding anyone who even knows about it in the first place...
Octagon baby, OCTAGON
Old 2009-10-24, 19:39   Link #88
Kazu
Flowing

To me this anime just didn't show that much dedication to music nor did it make me feel inspired, sure Yui learns how to play guitar after a while and they have band practice and stuff,but it just doesen't cut it for me.It's more of a "cute girls doing cute things anime than music. well thats just my opinion.I'm just one of those guys who got way more into music after watching/reading Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad.

I just realized I posted in this thread already *facepalm*
Old 2009-10-27, 05:08   Link #89
coderlan
Student

I think the OST's of K-On! is the one inspiring?
Old 2009-12-21, 06:48   Link #90
~Azu-chan~
♪♫The Winged Flame Haze♫♪

Send a message via MSN to ~Azu-chan~
ahaha~ sure did :3 after I watched it I rallied a group of friends to start a band and play some of those songs xD [no joke, but we have no funding so we cant buy instruments ;-;]
Old 2009-12-21, 21:00   Link #91
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Azu-chan~ View Post
ahaha~ sure did :3 after I watched it I rallied a group of friends to start a band and play some of those songs xD [no joke, but we have no funding so we cant buy instruments ;-;]
This.

One whole bunch of dudes playing on a piano is damned fun...maybe I should get a bass too...
Old 2010-01-05, 09:54   Link #92
Dabboo
K-ON!

Location: Sittin' in front of my comp, thinking on Yui lol... xD
[Necro Post]:
I am in the mood to learn, but I am abit shy of it.
Old 2010-03-02, 10:13   Link #93
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Well.... I wanted to start electric guitar and drums for a very long time.. This series encouraged me to start playing guitar, though I only have an accoustic one (not mine really, got one loaned from a friend XD), I use this to practise so when I get MY electric guitar (and it will be my first one ^^) I at least know how to play it a little.... Sadly, I feel a little old for a starter, I mean, I wish I had started before (and I say this because I wanted to play since a very long time ago).... but well.... I'm 19 right now :P... and yestarday I had my first guitar lesson from a friend at work.
Going back to the topic, YES, you could say than K-ON encouraged me a lot because I think that if i hadn't seen K-ON i may ahve not started at all with the guitar (and I may start drums too now ^^)
Old 2010-03-02, 14:27   Link #94
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

No its not an inspiration for me, but it did remind me how much I enjoy actually playing something with friends, and reminded me of a k-on esque style band I joined back in college.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-03-02, 14:58   Link #95
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
After days of waiting... I couldn't take it anymore... (so I learned how to play guitar).

I didn't do it soon enough:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-21, 02:32   Link #96
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

same! K-on made me want to play guitar so... I started!
Old 2010-04-09, 13:14   Link #97
yoropa
Director

I did grab a guitar just to see if the whole discussion on how if your fingers aren't used to guitar strings, they may get cut was true.

It was.
Old 2010-04-09, 22:29   Link #98
FENR1Sdesu
Chokinggu =A='

Not exactly...

they're more like "more music to practice with" XD
Old 2010-04-10, 01:02   Link #99
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just find the "X" cord and you too can play like Yui.
Old 2010-04-11, 12:04   Link #100
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonito View Post
Well.... I wanted to start electric guitar and drums for a very long time.. Sadly, I feel a little old for a starter, I mean, I wish I had started before (and I say this because I wanted to play since a very long time ago).... but well.... I'm 19 right now :P... and yestarday I had my first guitar lesson from a friend at work.
I know how you feel. I'm 25, and I just got my first electric guitar a few weeks ago. Like you, I've wanted to learn for years, but never thought I'd be capable. I'm really glad I've finally picked it up, though. All I can play is "Happy Birthday" at the minute, but it's satisfying all the same.

As for the topic, while K-ON! isn't the main reason I finally took the plunge (that dubious honour would go to Canadian musician Devin Townsend), I can't deny that I get a kick out of seeing them play their instruments (it's a shame there isn't more of a focus on it), and watching an episode just makes me want to go and practice even more. I got chills watching Yui practice "Watashi no Koi wa Hotchkiss" in the first episode of the new series, even if KyoAni did skimp on the hand animations again.

I'm definitely going to try playing some of their songs, when I get to that level. I especially love the opening riff in "Fude Pen ~Ball Pen~".

EDIT: Oh, and I completely forgot to mention, I've named my new guitar "Aki-chan", after Yui's voice actress. It's also a pun on "autumn", since she's sunburst-coloured. I was going to name her "Debi", after Devin Townsend, but it just didn't fit. And yeah, I know I'm lame for anthropomorphising a musical instrument, but that's just how I roll.

Last edited by Manwards; 2010-04-11 at 16:15. Reason: Forgot something.
Closed Thread